Bell,Diaw,Singletary out....Jason Richardson,Jared Dudley,'2010 2nd rd pick in

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
I have watched j-rich 15 plus times and he would actually be better fit if coach was d'antoni:)run-gun type,very athletic,always willing to penetrate,nash was having difficulty in his assists since marion left but now we have a 2nd scorer option after amare.

but he is very inconsistent,dead in clutch,not known well for his work ethics and discipline (those were rumors in sf chronicle at times),but it s good that his 3 point % is very good this year and he minimized his turnovers.so,lets wait and hope for the best.

but wasnt porter defensive minded?why the hell did dantoni leave if we were to make offensive team?

:yeahthat:

What was the point of hiring Porter for defense and half court? All we need now is Don Nelson to become the Phoenix Warriors.

Dudley sounds like an Admunson clone. Then there's the issue of how many 'touches' everyone will be getting. Someone is bound to complain and I'm guessing it might be Shaq.

Heard that Raja had asked for an extension before the season began and was rejected. So that set the tone for him the rest of the season.

Last edited:

AceP

Registered
Reaction score

What was the point of hiring Porter for defense and half court? All we need now is Don Nelson to become the Phoenix Warriors.

Dudley sounds like an Admunson clone. Then there's the issue of how many 'touches' everyone will be getting. Someone is bound to complain and I'm guessing it might be Shaq.

Heard that Raja had asked for an extension before the season began and was rejected. So that set the tone for him the rest of the season.

Shots should not be a problem at all.

This season, Bell had 8 shots per game and Diaw 6.4, while J.Rich averaged 15.7 per game. The gap is minor. J.Rich was the leading scorer in Charlotte, here he will be the 3rd option, OR, more likely, the bi-second scoring option together with Shaq, behind Amare. He supposed to shoot less compare to his time in Charlotte, 13-14 per game sounds fair enough. None of our current player would lose shot for him.

Reduce Shaq's shot?!? That's rediculous. Shaq has 15.4ppg by less than 10 shots a game, because he made 60% of them.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score

Well, the difference is that unlike Bell, Richardson CAN play in half court. Additionally, he is able to create his own shot, not to mention that he is twice the player that Raja Bell is, or ever was. He also doesn't have a history of crying, whining, bitching and moaning to the media. Raja Bell was the worst shooting guard in the league and Richardson is an all-star. You substitute crap with gold- that was the point of this trade.

Warriors comparison is ridiculous since there is this guy named Shaq on the Suns roster. There is no comparison with the Warriors, other than Richardson and Barnes being former warriors and Nash having some history with Nelson.

Dudley does sound like an Amundson close- I don't understand why that would be a problem. Can you really have too many guys who play their heart out every second they are in the game?

As far as touches go- I don't think it's going to be the problem, at least as far as Shaq and JRich are concerned. Shaq has never complained about his touches in Phoenix, and JRich is apparently the best team player you can ask for (that's what Warriors and Bobcats fans are saying). If anybody complains it will be Amare. However, once they start winning, there will be less whining. When you're winning, you really don't care as much about how many touches you're getting.

This is a great trade. Suns essentially traded crap for gold. Possibly THE worst starting SG in the league for one of the best. Additionally, they dumped a terrible contract (Diaw). What's not to like?

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Shots should not be a problem at all.

This season, Bell had 8 shots per game and Diaw 6.4, while J.Rich averaged 15.7 per game. The gap is minor. J.Rich was the leading scorer in Charlotte, here he will be the 3rd option, OR, more likely, the bi-second scoring option together with Shaq, behind Amare. He supposed to shoot less compare to his time in Charlotte, 13-14 per game sounds fair enough. None of our current player would lose shot for him.

Reduce Shaq's shot?!? That's rediculous. Shaq has 15.4ppg by less than 10 shots a game, because he made 60% of them.

I agree with you about everything except one point.
Diaw's shots came from the 4/5 positions. JRich isn't gonna be getting those shots unless he starts posting up opposing shooting guards.

I think Barbosa is the odd man out now. there is no way Barbosa plays 23 minutes and takes 12 shots per game, especially if Nash really gets a serviceable back up- there is just not enough minutes for Barbosa.

I would guess that Shaq and Amare get Diaw's shots and Richardson gets Bell's shots with some of Barbosa's and Nash's shots.

I agree that Stoudemire is still your first option, with Shaq and JRich right behind him, and Nash and Hill/Barnes behind those 2, but I think with all these options, there is a huge question on what poison the opposing team is going to pick? They are going to be facing 5 guys who can create their own shots and go for 20-30 points any given night. Mike Millers and Peja Stojakovich's of the NBA need to guard somebody- Richardson or Hill/Barnes.
If Mike Miller is guarding Richardson- he should be the first option until they make an adjustment. Having 5 guys who can create their own shots is incredible.

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
This move doesnt mean the Suns will run, it makes their half court offense better.

Richardson can stretch the floor much better than Bell could and can create his own shot.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I just looked at Suns "per 48 minutes" stats, rather interesting stuff:

Amare scores 28.2 points on 17.8 attempts
Shaq scores 26.6 on 17.2
Barbosa scores 25.8 on 25.4 shot attempts per 48 minutes.

Richardson gets 25.6 on 21.5.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Richardson can stretch the floor much better than Bell could and can create his own shot.

This seems to be the consensus view. Also I have always viewed Jason Richardson as an All-Star quality player although I'm not sure if he has ever made the All-Star team. I just really like the athleticism he brings to the Suns. He can also be a cold blooded shooter.

Last edited:

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Dudley is a player the Suns actually worked out prior to the 2007 draft, but he was projected to be a mid-second round pick.

HooverDam

Reaction score
I don't know squat about Dudley. Looking at his numbers and his build, he kind of reminds me of James Jones when he was in Indiana.

James Jones has more of a long lanky build, Dudley's a bit bigger/more pudgy. Dudley is probably the Suns backup 4 now, Jr was a backup 3.

Ollie

Croissant Eater
Reaction score
Great, Kerr just entered full panic mode after 25 games and made a senseless trade (except for highlight reels and Sarver's wallet, obviously).
This team's agony will probably be "funnier" with Richardson, though...

HooverDam

Reaction score
Great, Kerr just entered full panic mode after 25 games and made a senseless trade (except for highlight reels and Sarver's wallet, obviously).

Congrats on winning the highly coveted "Troll of the Week" award.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
You give J-Rich an Amare screen and watch him soar to the rim. Exciting move and I'm glad they did it this early before Raja Bell and company coughed up the entire season.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Usually one would think that if you wanted to trade Diaw's contract, you'd need to throw in 1 or 2 first round picks to get rid of it.

I forgot how it felt to screw over another team, and it feels great.

Granted CHA might have gotten what their coach feels they need, and maybe there are some hidden problems with J. Rich, but to get rid of Diaw's contract, and get J.Rich, and receive a 2nd round pick? Wow.

I thought my friend was joking with me when he called me yesterday. Sometimes he'll just make something up to see what I'll say, and this sounded like one of those. Completely shocked it's true, and that we were so fortunate.

No more shirtless pics of Diaw woo hoo! No more passes from underneath the hoop. I wish he could of put it together because he has alot of tools, but it just hasn't happened.

Bell was very good for us for awhile, and still would have remained a valuable piece, but he clearly was struggling at getting his game going this year. Since J.Rich will be taking his spot, Bell would've been an expensive bench player, so good that Larry Brown likes him and takes his salary off us.

It is kinda funny that relatively speaking Bell and Diaw = Richardson's contract = JJ's contract (plus/minus ~10 percent). Sucks to have made that mistake, but looks like we righted it. Maybe a bit too late, but better than never.

I think we really just got lucky. It's not as lucky as the lakers gasol trade, but I guess when you see all that we've done and risked and signed or not signed...since 2003..and it hasn't worked and we've been sliding backwards...this trade might be bigger.

Not as big in terms of talent heist, but in terms of potentially saving the 5 year run from failure, and giving us a legit shot this year at least.

It's sad to see these guys go, and hope that SS doesn't come back and have a 12 year career with the cats...and we give him away as filler.

At this point J.Rich, for two under-performing players, one with a big contract, one with a medium one, who didn't seem to fit as well as in the past....that has to be a steal right? It sure feels like one.

Barnes and J.Rich, some of the best of that high flying warriors team (I think 06-07). Something in me likes that alot.

Amare, Shaq, Nash, J.Rich on the floor together sounds pretty potent. That should open up things more for Hill and Barnes would be the fifth. That sounds really good. Especially good for Hill imo.

Too bad it wasn't in the offseason where we could better replace what we were giving up and had better selection than in-season. But oh well.

Pretty even money wise, although we lose 5 mill or so in space in 2010 offseason since Bell's contract was set to expire. Hopefully we aren't in the position to need to clear space.

Don't know much about Dudley, but people seem to like him for what he is.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ollie

Is this even serious? A senseless trade? We got the best 2 gaurd that we have had since JJ and dumped a contract we didn't want in Boris. I am sorry but this trade was not senseless, whomever wrote this however...

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Usually one would think that if you wanted to trade Diaw's contract, you'd need to throw in 1 or 2 first round picks to get rid of it.

I forgot how it felt to screw over another team, and it feels great.

I had almost gotten use to the Suns using draft picks for sell or to move departing contracts. Yes, it feels good that the Suns have seemingly made a good trade.

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score

What? Where have you been?

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
I think Dudley is going to be the steal in this trade, because he is going to see plenty of minutes and I even see him getting some starts when Shaq is out. Dudley will be a very good player off the bench and adds some much needed help to the frontcourt.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think Dudley is going to be the steal in this trade, because he is going to see plenty of minutes and I even see him getting some starts when Shaq is out. Dudley will be a very good player off the bench and adds some much needed help to the frontcourt.
I've never seen Dudley play, but he's listed as a SF at 6'7 and 225lbs. I'm sure he'll play some PF for the Suns too. I'm excited to see what he brings to the table, but I'm also kind of hoping to see more of Robin Lopez now that we won't have Diaw coming in for Shaq. Lopez should be getting 15 minutes every game, not just the games that Shaq sits out.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
Wow, the national media is blasting the Suns on this trade. "Where's the defense going to come from? You need defense for the playoffs! What are the Suns doing? Where's the commitment to defense they espoused?They've made an abrupt 180, yada yada yada.."

On PTI today, they predicted Terry Porter will be gone by years end because they won't make the playoffs. :shock:

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
Well sadly the media never looks at the bigger picture and usualy rely on outdated information to judge trades on.

Bell was not playing that well this year and Diaw needed to be moved for many reasons, mainly the future of the franchise.

If there is one thing that Richardson can provide its another scorer, especially one that excels at hitting the long ball.

It doesnt matter if the Suns play defense or not, they need to score and win games to make the playoffs. Richardson makes the offense much more potent in the halfcourt, especially with Shaq in the line up.

nowagimp

Reaction score
Kudos Kerr! I don't think this really enhances our chances at a title this year, but it makes me feel a lot better about the future and keeping Amare and making the team more attractive in the 2010 FA bonanza.

Only one problem, this trade leaves about 5M less to negotiate for free agents in 2010 as JRich makes 14.4M in 2010-11. I still like the trade, the suns may not win any championships, but they could get close to the conference finals, like DA! Besides, JRich is a 7 seconds or less kind of player with a career average 17-18 defensive PER, and the suns got rid of a better defender to get him, love the irony! Its almost like the ghost of DA is running things here.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05