Bell,Diaw,Singletary out....Jason Richardson,Jared Dudley,'2010 2nd rd pick in

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only one problem, this trade leaves about 5M less to negotiate for free agents in 2010 as JRich makes 14.4M in 2010-11. I still like the trade, the suns may not win any championships, but they could get close to the conference finals, like DA! Besides, JRich is a 7 seconds or less kind of player with a career average 17-18 defensive PER, and the suns got rid of a better defender to get him, love the irony! Its almost like the ghost of DA is running things here.

Bell has NOTICEABLY dropped in his defensive play this year and and the 5 million extra doesn't bother me all that much because without Richardson, who the hell would have wanted to join a team with Amare and... no one else... to be par of the core? Even with the 5 million bump, we're still gonna have 14-17 million to play with right? with a better core to entice someone. sounds good to me.

cly2tw

Reaction score
Only one problem, this trade leaves about 5M less to negotiate for free agents in 2010 as JRich makes 14.4M in 2010-11. I still like the trade, the suns may not win any championships, but they could get close to the conference finals, like DA! Besides, JRich is a 7 seconds or less kind of player with a career average 17-18 defensive PER, and the suns got rid of a better defender to get him, love the irony! Its almost like the ghost of DA is running things here.

I'm not worried about JR's defense. LB has actually improved on defense lately. So, JR would be able to do just that too. And finallly on a winning team, he might as well put in the effort he didn't feel like needing on his previous teams.

More importantly, fastbreaking style can work under some discipline, to be combined with halfcourt games. Nash and others on the team seem to be getting the feel for the controlled switch. He and Bell were pouting. And Bell particularly seemed to have subconsciously sabotaged playing half court style well, which forced the management to trade him the very moment he showcased that he could still do good things if willing in the game before the trade. So, it's not DA coming back. It's gonna go what Porter planned for the team, but now much better with JR instead of Belll.

S_Nash

Funky Fresh
Reaction score
Jesus, I just remembered that I own shares in Dirty Scottsdale.

I'm gonna go bankrupt!!

AceP

Registered
Reaction score
J.Rich is not a "bad defender", he was not outstanding in defence mainly because he was playing in teams where defence is never in tactic book. And as the main scoring power there, he has never been assigned to major defensive duty.

Any1 who has watched J.Rich play should agree, that he has everything to be a good defender. 225lbs at 6-6, he is a beast for SG position. Only a few players in the league can outpace or outjump him, he is also quite smart and hardworking. Defence has a lot to do with willingness, team philosophy and tactics. We'll have to wait to see how he does under Porter. I'm confident he will be more than fine.

Raja Bell's time as a top defender has LONG GONE! Have u watched him this season? He is not even a "good defender" any more, "acceptable" or "average" is the best I could give. He is 32 years old and declining rapidly. He is nothing more than a spot up 3p shooter now. We lost nothing on him. I honestly think Tucker would do as good if wasn't injuried.

Have we lost ground in defence? Hell NO. For me J.Rich is not going to do any worse than Bell.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Besides, JRich is a 7 seconds or less kind of player with a career average 17-18 defensive PER, and the suns got rid of a better defender to get him, love the irony! Its almost like the ghost of DA is running things here.

First off J Rich shoots 41% of all his shots in 10 seconds or less and shoots 41% of his shots in the 11 to 20 seconds range. I don't think that qualifies him as a 7 second or less player. No doubt he loves to shoot early as much as he does in half court sets.

Also, the Suns did not get rid of a better defensive player. They got rid of a player that used to play better defense. There is a difference.

Errntknght

Reaction score
I hope that is Charlotte's own 2nd round pick we got... it could be the 31st pick in the draft.

Overall it was a strange trade for Kerr/Porter to make, as others have remarked, given their emphasis on defense. I imagine they were motivated to get rid of malcontent Bell and underperforming Boris - and I certainly like that aspect of it. IMO, Richardson is somewhat overpaid but he will fit in with what appears to be Porter's 'new', freewheeling plan.

I don't think Raja was as washed up as many others do but I hated the way he was wishing for times past in the media. If Richardson plays decent team D we will have a net gain - he's also good for another rebound or so per game over Raja.

I don't think Dudley has the size to fill in at PF and C as well as Boris did on defense - he can hardly help being a better rebounder though at any position. I read a couple of places that he has a good basketball IQ and this team needs that - and he certainly won't be exasperating the way Diaw was. On the other hand, he won't likely be making the (occasional) brilliant offensive plays.

Hopefully, losing Singletary will be addition by subtraction. Not that he was worse than Dragic has shown but I like Porter having to depend on just one backup. Some guys thrive on having to compete for time and others do better when they have a well defined slot in the rotation - Dragic didn't seem to be one of the former so lets hope he'll be one of the latter. I'd bet 'dollars to doughnuts' that the guy shoots well in practice so all he has to do is translate that to real games - and this may give him a boost in that direction.

asudevil83

Reaction score
I hope that is Charlotte's own 2nd round pick we got... it could be the 31st pick in the draft.

Overall it was a strange trade for Kerr/Porter to make, as others have remarked, given their emphasis on defense. I imagine they were motivated to get rid of malcontent Bell and underperforming Boris - and I certainly like that aspect of it. IMO, Richardson is somewhat overpaid but he will fit in with what appears to be Porter's 'new', freewheeling plan.

I don't think Raja was as washed up as many others do but I hated the way he was wishing for times past in the media. If Richardson plays decent team D we will have a net gain - he's also good for another rebound or so per game over Raja.

I don't think Dudley has the size to fill in at PF and C as well as Boris did on defense - he can hardly help being a better rebounder though at any position. I read a couple of places that he has a good basketball IQ and this team needs that - and he certainly won't be exasperating the way Diaw was. On the other hand, he won't likely be making the (occasional) brilliant offensive plays.

Hopefully, losing Singletary will be addition by subtraction. Not that he was worse than Dragic has shown but I like Porter having to depend on just one backup. Some guys thrive on having to compete for time and others do better when they have a well defined slot in the rotation - Dragic didn't seem to be one of the former so lets hope he'll be one of the latter. I'd bet 'dollars to doughnuts' that the guy shoots well in practice so all he has to do is translate that to real games - and this may give him a boost in that direction.

the way it could also be seen is: you get a chance at Jason Richardson, and at the same time you get to get rid of Boris and his bad contract, and it ONLY costs you Bell.

that right there makes it a no-brainer in my book.

PLUS you get a pretty high second rounder, and a young kid.

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
Dudley has the size to play PF (not fulltime) and really the Suns dont have another option. He is pretty strong, although not that athletic. he is a good passer and can hit the outside jumper, which makes it possible for him to sub for Amare and play next to Amare. Not to mention he is good on the offensive glass.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
Warriors comparison is ridiculous since there is this guy named Shaq on the Suns roster. There is no comparison with the Warriors, other than Richardson and Barnes being former warriors and Nash having some history with Nelson.

I rest my case :)

As far as touches go- I don't think it's going to be the problem, at least as far as Shaq and JRich are concerned. Shaq has never complained about his touches in Phoenix

Every chance he gets:
Two weeks ago, Amaré Stoudemire complained to the local and national media about not being the focal point of the offense. On Tuesday, O'Neal used his 35-point explosion against Milwaukee as a bully pulpit to point out - over and over - that the team would get the same kind of production if the ball found his hands more often.

nowagimp

Reaction score
Dudley has the size to play PF (not fulltime) and really the Suns dont have another option. He is pretty strong, although not that athletic. he is a good passer and can hit the outside jumper, which makes it possible for him to sub for Amare and play next to Amare. Not to mention he is good on the offensive glass.

Its interesting that Dudley plays very good defense(?->12 PER) at the PF position and around 18 PER at SF. Its also interesting to note that JRich does much better at SF in his per than at SG. this is in line with what the scouts say: "JRich doesnt take the small steps on defense required to be a good defender at the '2'". Just watch Bowen, Prince, Battier, or Bell on D and watch they way they take lots of small steps. Good defense is based on footwork. JRich has also reportedly lost some lateral mobility from the number of knee scopes he has had. Apparently JRich is pretty strong and can play the '3' on D as his defensive PER there is 3-4 units lower. Sounds to me like Matt Barnes or someone else needs to play the '2' on defense, his defensive PER is better than JRichs there and visa versa at the SF.

Last edited:

Ollie

Croissant Eater
Reaction score
OK, maybe I've been too far by calling that trade "senseless" but not far enough to be called a troll, thanks.

Kerr hires a new defensive-minded coach, starts the season feeding us with "defense wins championships" banter, and a month and an half into the season he trades our 2 less worse defenders (let's say they were "average") for a guy who can't really play defense (Kerr described him as "an excellent defensive player" though, yipee !). That makes sense ?

The trade makes both the perimeter and the post defense worse, doesn't solve the backup PG problem and leaves the Suns with Lopez and Amundson to back up Amare and Shaq... And it doesn't make much sense from a financial point of view either (it saves Sarver 2M this year though, he'll probably need it).

By the way, I wonder how many of you saw Richardson play these past 2 years because he's not a slasher, not even a guy who drives to the basket regularly. He may have been more aggressive a few years ago, but since his first knee surgery he mainly settles for 3s in the corner, jumpers, and the occasional post up. He's known for being a nice guy and all, but he's streaky and not really clutch, that's why he's a second-tier starting SG and not an all-star. And Dudley may be promising but unfortunately there's not much playing time for another tweener on this team.

I still hope that Kerr will trade Barbosa for a decent big man and find a way to sign a solid veteran backup PG. If all that happens, then the Richardson trade makes some sense. But for now, this team is nothing more than a first round exitee, as it was a week ago, and I still don't understand what Kerr's doing except messing with the team chemistry. Blast me for that.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the one dynamic that is going to be crazy is that you had Larry Brown and now Porter. How each one has coached offense and defense is different. I don't think you can just look at things like individual per without looking at overall per at that position for those teams since you have to take into account schemes each coach used.

However, I would guess there would less of a transition going from Brown to Porter, then compared to going from Don Nelson (Barnes) to Porter. It will be very intersting to see how this shakes out.

Bottom line is that JRich did not have the interior presence that we have now with his old team. He certainly is going to get more open shots in our offense as well.

Last edited:

nowagimp

Reaction score
I think the one dynamic that is going to be crazy is that you had Larry Brown and now Porter. How each one has coached offense and defense is different. I don't think you can just look at things like individual per without looking at overall per at that position for those teams since you have to take into account schemes each coach used.

However, I would guess there would less of a transition going from Brown to Porter, then compared to going from Don Nelson (Barnes) to Porter. It will be very intersting to see how this shakes out.

Bottom line is that JRich did not have the interior presence that we have now with his old team. He certainly is going to get more open shots in our offense as well.

there is also the rumour flying around -and its typical Larry Brown- that Brown was dissatisfied with JRich on defense, that this move is to improve the Bobcats defensively. Not sure I buy it, but that is what is being reported in charlotte.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
there is also the rumour flying around -and its typical Larry Brown- that Brown was dissatisfied with JRich on defense, that this move is to improve the Bobcats defensively. Not sure I buy it, but that is what is being reported in charlotte.

Larry Brown. That guy kills me. The one article about this trade nailed it with this guy. They said Larry Brown is a control freak and will make decisions sometimes just to show who is in charge.

nowagimp

Reaction score
Larry Brown. That guy kills me. The one article about this trade nailed it with this guy. They said Larry Brown is a control freak and will make decisions sometimes just to show who is in charge.

Yup LB is a piece of work, its the part of being a great defensive coach that bothers me. Brown may figure out how to get Diaw off the scrap heap, he's done a good job of salvage before. I never believed that Rasheed had the temperment to be on a championship team, I was stunned when he converted to LB religion.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gambo said Raja's agent called Kerr to demand a trade. This was a week ago.

I wonder how accurate that is. Kerr indicated the guys were surprised. Then Steve Nash said this completely took him by surprise. I mean if Raja really are best friends and Raja demanded a trade...then why was Nash so surprised. He said he was blindsided by it.

This might be Raja's agen trying to save face or Raja by spreading that. Just don't know if I believe that.

cly2tw

Reaction score
JR is not a natural defender the way Bowen, BAttier, Bell are and needs, like Amare and Nash, sufficient incentive to pay extra attention and energy to do it. What's there with Bobcats to go for? Lottery picks now and potential championship in 10 years under LBrown?

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
I wonder how accurate that is. Kerr indicated the guys were surprised. Then Steve Nash said this completely took him by surprise. I mean if Raja really are best friends and Raja demanded a trade...then why was Nash so surprised. He said he was blindsided by it.

This might be Raja's agen trying to save face or Raja by spreading that. Just don't know if I believe that.
It was a business decision made by raja and his agent. You dont involve your friends in that decision, especially if they work next to you. Some would say Raja was being respectful by not airing out his dirty laundry with his friend and team captain.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was a business decision made by raja and his agent. You dont involve your friends in that decision, especially if they work next to you. Some would say Raja was being respectful by not airing out his dirty laundry with his friend and team captain.

Raja was just airing out his dirty laundry in the media weeks before. Sounds a little inconsistant to me. Sort of like his defense play.

Bah dum da.:D

CaptainInsano

Reaction score
Well in one of the articles on these forums it said Bell broke the news to Nash and Nash said that Raja was "already at the airport". What I got from that was raja almost knew beforehand unlike how Jrich was woken up in the middle of his sleep and told about the trade.

I could be reaching a bit though..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05