Better point guard..Marbury,Kidd,KJ or Nash

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
This one is really tough for me, because in my opinion all four of those point guards carried not so talented teams to the playoffs. I'm going to go with KJ because he 3 seasons in a row of 20 points and 10 assists, not that many point guards have done that. Plus he is the only point guard on that list that has been to the finals.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Nash and it is not even close.

KJ was never thought of as a MVP caliber player, Nash was regarded as the best player in the league for years.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
1. KJ
2. JKidd
3. Nash
4. Marbury-very distant 4th place.

KJ is far, far under appreciated IMO.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nash and it is not even close.

KJ was never thought of as a MVP caliber player, Nash was regarded as the best player in the league for years.

I don't think that's true. For some strange reason, the person regarded to be the best player in the league isn't always the MVP. Certainly Barkley wasn't thought to be the best in the game, they were just tired of giving it to Michael. And during Steve's best years, Kobe almost definitely walks away with the MVP voting each of those years if he'd not transgressed in Colorado.

But I vote for Nash too although I think it is close. If it weren't for KJ's hamstring problems, it would be even closer. Of course, if Jason Kidd could hit a mid-range jumper no one else would be in the running.

Steve

HooverDam

Reaction score
The correct order is (if looking at their Suns careers):

Nash
KJ
Kidd
Marbury

If you look at their entire careers, Kidd is ahead of KJ due to longevity and health. But if you said I had one game to try and win, give me KJ over the ******* Kidd any day of the week.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
it is not close at all

1 guy won 2 MVPs and once came second the others can't even come close to measuring up against Nash.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it is not close at all

1 guy won 2 MVPs and once came second the others can't even come close to measuring up against Nash.

You'd be right if the question was "who won the most MVP's".

Steve

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I view it, it is not even close, Nash wins. However, if I am going to get sentimental, it's hard to pick one or the other. I am so proud of Kevin Johnson as a person and his loyalty to the Suns. He is special.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
This may be an unpopular opinion, but Kidd should win this. He's got a title, is the best defensive player on this list by far and also the most durable.

Now if the question is who had the best career WITH the Suns, then it's a toss up between KJ and Nash.

Marbury shouldn't even be in this conversation.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I'm going to go with KJ because he 3 seasons in a row of 20 points and 10 assists, not that many point guards have done that.
I don't share that opinion. His three seasons of 20/10 illustrate that he was a ball hog, especially with the game on the line. To the point where he and Barkley were not pulling together. That detracts from his performance as a Point Guard.

Plus he is the only point guard on that list that has been to the finals.
Charles Barkley was the main reason for that. Not Kevin Johnson.

If the "team" of KJ and the Chuckster were more cohesive (like Stockton and Malone), it just might have been enough to beat the Bulls without it coming down to the last shot.

Steve Nash was much better at making the players around him better. That is a Point Guard! Despite his defensive shortcomings.

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
...Steve Nash was much better at making the players around him better. That is a Point Guard! Despite his defensive shortcomings.

All I can think of after reading this is the Russ Westbrook point guard, not pass guard meme :)

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Come on BC. During a 4 year stretch KJ was one of the best PG's in the league. 12 assists per game while also putting up 20+ PPG? How does that make him a ballhog? Just shows that he could do it all.

1. Johnson
2. Nash
3. Kidd
4. Marbury

AINGE was the reason the Suns lost to the Bulls. He couldn't guard a chair in the last possession. How to hell do you leave Paxson wide open to help inside? Just awful defense.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This may be an unpopular opinion, but Kidd should win this. He's got a title, is the best defensive player on this list by far and also the most durable.

Now if the question is who had the best career WITH the Suns, then it's a toss up between KJ and Nash.

Marbury shouldn't even be in this conversation.

Then Ron Harper is a legend and best PG to ever play for the Clippers and Cavs, winning 5 of them. ;)

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Come on BC. During a 4 year stretch KJ was one of the best PG's in the league.
One of the best PG's in the league doesn't trump a 2-time MVP.

AINGE was the reason the Suns lost to the Bulls. He couldn't guard a chair in the last possession. How to hell do you leave Paxson wide open to help inside? Just awful defense.
Which is why I said

BC867 said:
If the "team" of KJ and the Chuckster were more cohesive (like Stockton and Malone), it just might have been enough to beat the Bulls without it coming down to the last shot.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sticking with Don Buse. Somebody must have misspelled his name. It should read Buse, Kidd, KJ or Nash.

Steve

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I'm sticking with Don Buse. Somebody must have misspelled his name. It should read Buse, Kidd, KJ or Nash.

Steve
Don Buse was a Suns all-defensive NBA Guard for three consecutive years, followed by the same from Dennis Johnson. Six years in a row. Wow!

But neither was a true Point Guard. I wouldn't put them in the same category as Point Guard with Nash, KJ or Kidd.

And DJ -- along with Mo Lucas -- are two of my all-time favorite Suns (albeit for a very short spell).

And both with NBA championships before joining the Suns (but too strong in personality and determination for Colangelo and MacLeod to handle).

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The correct order is (if looking at their Suns careers):

Nash
KJ
Kidd
Marbury

If you look at their entire careers, Kidd is ahead of KJ due to longevity and health. But if you said I had one game to try and win, give me KJ over the ******* Kidd any day of the week.

This

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don Buse was a Suns all-defensive NBA Guard for three consecutive years, followed by the same from Dennis Johnson. Six years in a row. Wow!

But neither was a true Point Guard. I wouldn't put them in the same category as Point Guard with Nash, KJ or Kidd.

And DJ -- along with Mo Lucas -- are two of my all-time favorite Suns (albeit for a very short spell).

And both with NBA championships before joining the Suns (but too strong in personality and determination for Colangelo and MacLeod to handle).

Well, I was kidding about Buse belonging in that group but I'd say he was a true point guard. He was an excellent ball handler in addition to being a strong defender and he led the league in assists at least once (did it in the ABA too).

Steve

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Well, I was kidding about Buse belonging in that group but I'd say he was a true point guard. He was an excellent ball handler in addition to being a strong defender and he led the league in assists at least once (did it in the ABA too).

Steve

But during his three seasons with the Suns, Buse averaged 4.8, 4.3 and 4.0 assists per game.

Not even as many as our Shooting Guard Paul Westphal who averaged 5.5, 6.5 and 5.1.

Which is why you can't consider Buse a true Point Guard during his three seasons with the Suns.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But during his three seasons with the Suns, Buse averaged 4.8, 4.3 and 4.0 assists per game.

Not even as many as our Shooting Guard Paul Westphal who averaged 5.5, 6.5 and 5.1.

Which is why you can't consider Buse a true Point Guard during his three seasons with the Suns.

Westy was as much of a point guard as he was a shooting guard at that stage of his career and they each set up the offense. Also, they each lost assist numbers to the fact that we ran our offense through our center frequently. If you don't consider him a true point guard then what do you call him?

Steve

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I still can't believe people blame Ainge here. that play was all on Barkley. He went for the steal at the top of the key right at the beginning of the play which gave Pippen a clear lane to drive down, forcing the entire defense to scramble/collapse the lane. Pippen dumped it Grant, forcing Ainge to swing down because Grant was WIDE OPEN for a five footer. He didn't help, he wasn't doubling...he went to guard an unguarded guy to prevent a layup. Then, Grant swung it Paxson. All of it began because chuck wanted to play hero instead of just trying to stay in front of pippen.

and with all that said, the game was truly lost on the previous possession. Right here at 7:22 is where the game was truly lost:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2Xy-70ufIQ

I remember the second that play happened my dad and I went NUTS. Knew that was the window the Bulls needed to creep in and steal the game from us. We had a 4 point lead, with the ball with under a minute left. We missed a terrible shot where everyone played hot potato with the ball, forcing Frank Freaking Johnson of all people to badly miss a wide open 15 footer and then with 40 seconds left, Jordan got the rebound and then pretty much just jogged down court, past our entire defense (which was back) and we let him waltz in for a layup. We played awful offense and defense in those last 40 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2Xy-70ufIQ

They make the Bulls take ANY time off the clock when Jordan just strolled in for a layup and the Bulls likely have to foul us to send us to the line to extend the game. Instead, we let them get the easiest two for one I've ever seen. Rest of the game was on Barkley's missed steal.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

did i miss something here...because I'm pretty sure a) Stockton and Malone DIDN'T beat the Bulls and b) for all their "cohesiveness", they suffered the EXACT SAME fate that Barkley and KJ did. I mean, LITERALLY...they lost on last second shots in Game 6, the same way the Suns did.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiev22