Kyler Murray Debate Thread

602 Native

All Star
Reaction score
Thanks for this.

13. Kyler Murray, Arizona Cardinals
LR: 7

Murray finally has some real talent around him with the addition of Marvin Harrison Jr. and the maturation of Michael Wilson and Trey McBride. Still, the Cardinals are 2–4, but Murray has played well, throwing eight touchdowns against two interceptions. He’s also 10th in success rate and 12th in adjusted EPA per play.

Cardinal88

Veteran
Reaction score
Is this Murray guy any good?
In my opinion yes! I feel he has a coach who doesn’t really know how to use him, a defense who can’t stop anyone, and a team that was relying on first string to stay healthy because we do not have the depth especially on the OL.

Injuries are killing this team that didn’t have a lot of talent. Look at the 49ers (average team with injuries) but they have depth so it won’t affect them as much.

I have always felt Buddy Morris is doing something wrong with strength and conditioning but what do I know because they have kept the guy around forever.

tennis-player

Veteran
Reaction score
In my opinion yes! I feel he has a coach who doesn’t really know how to use him, a defense who can’t stop anyone, and a team that was relying on first string to stay healthy because we do not have the depth especially on the OL.

Injuries are killing this team that didn’t have a lot of talent. Look at the 49ers (average team with injuries) but they have depth so it won’t affect them as much.

I have always felt Buddy Morris is doing something wrong with strength and conditioning but what do I know because they have kept the guy around forever.
Buddy Morris was replaced and has not been strength and conditioning coach for two years. His sole responsibility is rehabilitation from injuries.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cards Fans: Lets get rid of our best player so we can get better.

I mean, is he our best player?

He's somewhere between QB15 and QB20. McBride is a top 10, maybe a top 6 TE in the league. Budda is up there in the safety rankings. Paris is currently something like #9 amongst tackles. JC is currently RB8.

You could argue he's the most talented, which only highlights how disappointing his performances have been. Or you could argue he's the most important, because all QB's are, and the same argument about disappointment would apply.

But is he actually the best player on the team in that he's playing better at his position that others are at theirs? No, he's clearly not.

Can you get better by replacing a guy that's on the fringe of the bottom 3rd of QB's in the league? Clearly you can.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He’s also 10th in success rate and 12th in adjusted EPA per play.

Bogus. I already pointed out that most of his efficiency and success has come in garbage time when the game is over one way or another.

You only need to look at where QB's are on this chart to see it's pretty much in line with where you would rank QB play this season.

You must be registered for see images attach

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Some of this has been a decent O line, but a lot of this is the way defenses are playing him to keep contain and not let him run.

Sad that he has these pockets to work with yet our passing game is ass.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is the biggest disappointment of the season. This offense was supposed to make a leap with Kyler back and 2nd year in the offense, plus adding Marv, but it's statistically very similar to the first 6 games with Dobbs last year.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yup.

I do love that the entire board has turned on Petzig when last year, without Kyler, the overwhelming majority of us were impressed with the playcalling, but frustrated because Dobbs kept missing guys all over the place.

Now, Petzig is the biggest moron in the world because a Kyler led offense, once again, is having trouble moving the ball and scoring TDs. All Petzig’s fault, just like it was all Kliff’s fault… despite Kliff’s offense now killing it with a rookie QB, one good WR and Cardinals level RBs and an older than dirt TE.

Brought this over here because it's a great point and something I was going to write myself.

Kliff has one of the best offenses in the league with a rookie QB, Terry McLaurin and a bunch of JAGs. Jayden Daniels has broken all kinds of long standing records through 6 games, not only for a rookie, but for all QB's.

This is the same guy were were told was holding Kyler back.

GeorgiaCard88

Veteran
Reaction score
When you have a player like Kyler receiving 25% of your cap space with weapons to work with- darn right he is the focal point of a truly disappointing cardinals offense. We were supposed to be lethal on offense, but yet we see the same inconsistent play complimented by cringe worthy throws in crucial moments.

In my books- this year is Murray’s last chance. I’m tired of the excuses- in 6 games he has had opportunities to deliver a big momentum changing play and fell short. He has no clutch factor- I can’t remember the last time the cardinals have gotten the ball and I felt confident that we were going to do something with it instead of me sitting nervously wondering how we are going to find a way to squander it.

You are what your record is, and at 2-4, the Kyler edition of the cardinals offense is very underwhelming. I would love for him to turn it around, I’ll gladly admit I was wrong about him or acknowledge that he has really found his groove. If we continue to get more of the same though- I’d rather reset the qb clock and build a more rounded team that doesn’t require a QB to take the entire team on its back

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have seen numerous “This is Kyler’s last chance” posts since the offseason.

What do you people mean by that?

The guy has already signed the big contract.

He’ll also be here next season.

So…..is it just to fill a status quo or something?

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
I mean, is he our best player?

He's somewhere between QB15 and QB20. McBride is a top 10, maybe a top 6 TE in the league. Budda is up there in the safety rankings. Paris is currently something like #9 amongst tackles. JC is currently RB8.

You could argue he's the most talented, which only highlights how disappointing his performances have been. Or you could argue he's the most important, because all QB's are, and the same argument about disappointment would apply.

That's an interesting, and fair question.

On the team, is K1 playing better at his position than anyone else on the team?

Well, not Budda. Probably PJJ. Maybe McBride. Conner deserves some consideration.

The caveat for PJJ is that his performance is much less dependent on other players' performances. Murray needs guys to run good routes, get open, and catch the ball when they get two hands on it. Conner needs capable blocking. McBride needs a QB that can get him the ball in good order.

You could also ask: Is Kyler Murray the Cardinals MVP?

CW's current Cardinal MVP rankings:

1. Kyler Murray
2. James Conner
3. Paris Johnson
4. Trey McBride
5. Budda Baker

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You could also ask: Is Kyler Murray the Cardinals MVP?

You could ask, but the answer would be no.

He's had one great game against the Rams. One reasonable game against the Bills and 4 below average performances against everyone else.

I think there are 15 QBs in the league you could drop into this offense on Sunday and it would perform better.