Biggest Difference between Then and Now

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
Some have alluded to this already, but it needs to be pointed out separately and preached from the pews. The recent history of the Spurs steam rolling an equally, if not more talented team in the Suns involved Mr. Pringles as the head coach. Yes, the same idiot who, with a great offensive scheme, failed to admit to necessary changes, depth in rotation, DEFENSE, etc...

I predict that the Suns will win the series based solely on the fact that Gentry is not a hard headed fool. He has shown a real knack for incorporating the skill set of Nash into the game plan while achieving the impossible (according to D'Antoni's system). Gentry plays a deeper bench, thus giving more players experience under pressure. Gentry makes necessary changes - see moving Frye to 2nd unit and moving Lopez in starting lineup. Gentry emphasis defense and team rebounding.

Regardless of the Suns talent level - they finally have a competitive answer to Popp's brilliance. It should be a great series.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
How many current players were on the team last time the Suns played SA in the playoffs? Been quite a few changes on their team too.

OP
OP
TucsonDevil

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
It's not about the players on the floor when we got hammered in 2008, and pushed around in 2007. D'Antoni failed to give Kurt Thomas significant playing time against Timmy in Game 1 - because D'Antoni is a fool and wanted to maintain his offensive advantage. Of course, he failed to remember the real reason we got Kurt - so we wouldn't have to double Tim all the time. Game 2 was an easy victory, as was Game 4 because he finally woke up. Consider how that series would have turned differently had the Suns maintained home court from the beginning.

Most of the thread is to debate the idiots in the Media who continue to point out the real reasons for the failures of the Suns in the post season versus the Spurs in the recent years. Of course they fail to mention that the Spurs won 4 rings - kicking around other teams during that time, and that D'Antoni has proven to be a single track offensive coach with zero grasp on defense and in-game adjustments. Gentry knows toughness and has been breeding it into this team all year long. I, for one, am excited to see the difference in confidence and scoreboard against the Suns due to the Gentry factor.

OP
OP
TucsonDevil

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
Also, I give credit to :cringe: Steve Kerr for developing a roster more apt to playing tough. We saw what D'Antoni did with a roster when given 18 months... yikes!

Of course, I am the same guy screaming for Kerr's head last summer when we gave up Shaq for a 6-pack and chewing gum.

OP
OP
TucsonDevil

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
BTW, anyone wish Raja Bell was with us for this final playoff push? His best days were over two years ago, but I'm sentimental I guess. When he clothes-lined Kobe, I developed a man-crush on him that I haven't yet lost. :) Of course that was the second best trade in Suns history - Doris and Raja for JRich and Dudley. First was Nance for KJ and eventually Thunder Dan.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BTW, anyone wish Raja Bell was with us for this final playoff push? His best days were over two years ago, but I'm sentimental I guess. When he clothes-lined Kobe, I developed a man-crush on him that I haven't yet lost. :) Of course that was the second best trade in Suns history - Doris and Raja for JRich and Dudley. First was Nance for KJ and eventually Thunder Dan.

I'd have to knock those trades down a notch. Imo, the absolute best trade the Suns ever made was the one that sent Luc Longley packing. The fact that we were able to trade him without having to include every other first round pick for 40 years or so is a testament to the shrewd bargaining of the New York Knicks.

Steve

ninous26

Registered
Reaction score
Biggest difference between now and then?? Simple, their cover is blown.

Tyler

Registered
Reaction score
This guy hung up the stripes???

You must be registered for see images attach

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
+1
Love this thread. I'd been trying to expose D'Umbtoni here for years but to no avail.
The man was and still is(but not for long)OVERRATED.
He's the ultimate players coach who just lets his guys play basketball with very few rules:
1) Run
2) Shoot it
3) make the unselfish pass
4) come with energy every night
...light practices,no accountability on defense....these are many of the reasons his players love him.
I've said it before,if i want a team that can dazzle a crowd and win 55 games a year then D'Antoni is my HC for life....if i want to truly compete in the real season then no thanks.

Alvin Gentry has done a remarkable job here,and he responded well to the adversity of losing a game 1 @ home vs Portland in the first rd,that bodes well for this S.A. series i think.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
Biggest difference
Defense

Second biggest
A backup point guard

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
+1
Love this thread. I'd been trying to expose D'Umbtoni here for years but to no avail.
The man was and still is(but not for long)OVERRATED.
He's the ultimate players coach who just lets his guys play basketball with very few rules:
1) Run
2) Shoot it
3) make the unselfish pass
4) come with energy every night
...light practices,no accountability on defense....these are many of the reasons his players love him.
I've said it before,if i want a team that can dazzle a crowd and win 55 games a year then D'Antoni is my HC for life....if i want to truly compete in the real season then no thanks.

Alvin Gentry has done a remarkable job here,and he responded well to the adversity of losing a game 1 @ home vs Portland in the first rd,that bodes well for this S.A. series i think.

The Suns still dazzle on offense without Pringles, our D is better and Gentry finally made the team believe they could do it.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I said it in the other thread, but the digs at D'Antoni about the Suns success due to them now playing defense are amazing. I can see that arrogant clown somewhere in Manhattan fuming and discussing with his wife how he'll "bust" us when he signs Lebron.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I said it in the other thread, but the digs at D'Antoni about the Suns success due to them now playing defense are amazing. I can see that arrogant clown somewhere in Manhattan fuming and discussing with his wife how he'll "bust" us when he signs Lebron.

:lol:

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'd have to knock those trades down a notch. Imo, the absolute best trade the Suns ever made was the one that sent Luc Longley packing. The fact that we were able to trade him without having to include every other first round pick for 40 years or so is a testament to the shrewd bargaining of the New York Knicks.

Steve

Hands down, the best trade in SUNS history? The one which brought us Mark West, Ty Corbin and of course a little known young point guard Kevin Johnson. In fact, the second best trade brought us Sir Charles. After those, you can let the debate begin...

illone

Reaction score
This Suns team is deeper and more talented than anything D'Antoni put on the floor.

Plus, like the OP stated this team gets back on defense and contests shots and actually blocks shots too.

This series will be over in 5 or 6 games. Suns advance and send Timmy and Pop home with hurt feelings

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hands down, the best trade in SUNS history? The one which brought us Mark West, Ty Corbin and of course a little known young point guard Kevin Johnson. In fact, the second best trade brought us Sir Charles. After those, you can let the debate begin...

Yeah, Ty Corbin was great but I don't know. Getting rid of Luc Longley without having to include compensation was a stroke of genius. If nothing else it kept Jason Kidd from having to commit suicide. I still have nightmares about Luc setting screens on his own point guard so that Jason couldn't stay with his guy or accidentally track down a loose ball.

Getting KJ set this team up for years and later on trading for Barkley made the Suns nationally relevant so it's hard to argue against those two as the greatest Suns trades. I only rank the Longley deal up there if you look at it in the light of the Kurt Thomas trade. If it cost 2 unprotected first round picks to get rid of a player that clearly still held value shouldn't it have cost us a LOT more to rid ourselves of an albatross?

I'm surprised we haven't heard from the Westy fans although I suspect we won't hear many nominees for the Ricky Sobers for Don Buse deal. Certainly not from me as I loved Sobers toughness.

Steve

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I think one of the biggest differences, in addition to the good points you guys have made, is that they always talk about the Spurs big 3. Parker/Duncan/Ginobli

The Suns never had an answer to that because our big 3 was Nash/Stat/Marion. Not to speak ill of the departed but we all know that Marion didn't exactly light it up in the playoffs. Now we have JRich going off for 25+ a game and adding a legitimate threat to our 'big 3'.

The whole team is better in my opinion but we never had a 3rd guy to rely on for consistant scoring back then, so far in these playoffs, we do.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
The Suns have a lot more scoring options as well, Frye, Dudley, Barbosa, Dragic. All these guys can catch fire and get you threes. Well Barbosa also does crazy stuff like get isolated for some fallaway garbage shot.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
This Suns team is deeper and more talented than anything D'Antoni put on the floor.
Deeper? Of course, but the depth issue may have been easily solved in Antoni's days had he elected to actually play the bench during important stretches during the regular season.

More talented? I don't think so, not from a player by player perspective. These guys were all much younger a couple years ago. Also suggesting we're more talented now refutes all the suddenly quiet Kerr haters out there.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Deeper? Of course, but the depth issue may have been easily solved in Antoni's days had he elected to actually play the bench during important stretches during the regular season.

More talented? I don't think so, not from a player by player perspective. These guys were all much younger a couple years ago. Also suggesting we're more talented now refutes all the suddenly quiet Kerr haters out there.

no way in hell this team is more talented that the DA teams, especially the 2005/7 teams.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no way in hell this team is more talented that the DA teams, especially the 2005/7 teams.

I'm not sure about that. If you look at both teams fully healthy I think you can make the case this team has more talent. Jason and Grant are better than anyone we lost from those days, IMO. However, once you remove Lopez and factor in Nash's injury plagued bad days I'd give the overall edge to the 05 and 07 teams.

Steve

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05