Bill Simmons Lobs Bomb on Cardinal Fans

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Blacked out in Vegas. The article's about how the Sports Guy wasn't able to see the Sox-Yanks fight on Saturday because of MLB blackout rules.

How is it good for the sport of baseball not to make an important game available to a large percentage of the country? What's the logic? Seriously? Do they assume that I like baseball so much that A) they can black out my favorite team; B) I will happily watch a game involving two teams that I normally couldn't care less about; and C) I won't hold a grudge about this? Imagine if -- God forbid -- the NFL did this on Sundays?

(Note: It's worth mentioning that the NFL has its own version of blackouts, where hometown fans get robbed of seeing their own team if their home game isn't sold out. I don't have a problem with this. If you can't sell out eight NFL games a season when just about every other team in the league has a gigantic waiting list for season tickets, you probably don't deserve to have an NFL team. And yes, I'm talking to you, Arizona.)

Is it time to re-interate the point of how sad, sad, sad it is that Arizona, the fifth-largest city in this great nation, is utterly unable to sell out any of it's home games? That corporate sponsors had to purchase large blocks of unsold tickets in order to allow the 1998 Chargers game and the 1999 Monday Night Football game broadcast in town?

It's a sickness.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
Blacked out in Vegas. The article's about how the Sports Guy wasn't able to see the Sox-Yanks fight on Saturday because of MLB blackout rules.

Is it time to re-interate the point of how sad, sad, sad it is that Arizona, the fifth-largest city in this great nation, is utterly unable to sell out any of it's home games? That corporate sponsors had to purchase large blocks of unsold tickets in order to allow the 1998 Chargers game and the 1999 Monday Night Football game broadcast in town?

It's a sickness.

As long as you and I are doing our part, what else can we do kerouac?

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
ajcardfan said:
As long as you and I are doing our part, what else can we do kerouac?

I understand that. It's just that the way this city behaves is so embarassing for those of us that do our part. How quickly has the average fan turned his back on the Diamondbacks?

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
I understand that. It's just that the way this city behaves is so embarassing for those of us that do our part. How quickly has the average fan turned his back on the Diamondbacks?

Yes, it is. I know Atlanta is supposed to be as bad, or worse, but I'd find it hard to believe. I've never doubted the D-Backs would be dropped by the "fans" here if times got tough. The year they won the World Series, they didn't even sell out the first round of the playoffs. Then, once they became hip, you could just tell most of the celebrating "fans" couldn't have named more than five players on the squad two weeks earlier.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
ajcardfan said:
Yes, it is. I know Atlanta is supposed to be as bad, or worse, but I'd find it hard to believe. I've never doubted the D-Backs would be dropped by the "fans" here if times got tough. The year they won the World Series, they didn't even sell out the first round of the playoffs. Then, once they became hip, you could just tell most of the celebrating "fans" couldn't have named more than five players on the squad two weeks earlier.

Braves fans are spoiled. Falcons fans got the idea once they drafted Mike Vick (Did I mention that he so easily could have been ours?). They sell out the season months in advance, and they can afford to refuse ticket sales from area codes in Tampa and New Orleans (how boss is that?)!! The Hawks are so bad that it's hard to blame them, to be honest.

On the other hand, if you come to a Cards-Rams game, it'll be pretty easy to spot five guys in Packers gear, three in faded Cowboys jerseys, and a guy wearing a Saints hat. You look at them and just want to ask, "Did you get lost? Screwed over by some guy on E-Bay? Lose a bet?" There are eight games in an NFL season. For the past 16, the Cards have sold out zero. I truly don't understand what's wrong with the Phoenix market. Surely there are enough San Fran transplants out here to sell out a game? No one in Phoenix hails from Missouri?!

I felt burned by the D-Backs when they traded Junior Spivey for no one. I've been further alienated by the sloppy defense and irresponsible batting that I've seen so far this year. I can understand what they're doing this season, and whenever I come by a ticket, I won't refuse it. I'm not certain that I can name 5 non-pitchers on the roster right now, but I don't really consider that my fault.

I just think it's funny when people come out and defend Phoenix as being a good sports city. When I was in Philly two years ago, I threw on a Steelers jersey. I got angry looks from drivers on the street. You'd never see that here.

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
Braves fans are spoiled. Falcons fans got the idea once they drafted Mike Vick (Did I mention that he so easily could have been ours?). They sell out the season months in advance, and they can afford to refuse ticket sales from area codes in Tampa and New Orleans (how boss is that?)!! The Hawks are so bad that it's hard to blame them, to be honest.

On the other hand, if you come to a Cards-Rams game, it'll be pretty easy to spot five guys in Packers gear, three in faded Cowboys jerseys, and a guy wearing a Saints hat. You look at them and just want to ask, "Did you get lost? Screwed over by some guy on E-Bay? Lose a bet?" There are eight games in an NFL season. For the past 16, the Cards have sold out zero. I truly don't understand what's wrong with the Phoenix market. Surely there are enough San Fran transplants out here to sell out a game? No one in Phoenix hails from Missouri?!

I felt burned by the D-Backs when they traded Junior Spivey for no one. I've been further alienated by the sloppy defense and irresponsible batting that I've seen so far this year. I can understand what they're doing this season, and whenever I come by a ticket, I won't refuse it. I'm not certain that I can name 5 non-pitchers on the roster right now, but I don't really consider that my fault.

I just think it's funny when people come out and defend Phoenix as being a good sports city. When I was in Philly two years ago, I threw on a Steelers jersey. I got angry looks from drivers on the street. You'd never see that here.

Too many transplants to get any angry looks from anyone when you are wearing different team colors.

And, roasting on metal seats during the game is no fun. I think things will change once we get the stadium built. But, the Cards better play much better or it won't matter how much A/C you pump into the stadium.

Thank God for Green.....

Bobcat

Reaction score
ajcardfan said:

Arizona and the metro area around Phoenix is and has been a band wagon type town. Will only support a front runner and will never get behind a team that looses. Just look how the fans have abandon the Suns, DiamondBacks, and Yotees.

As long as we on this forum back our teams we will be fine. We are the true sports fans of Arizona, not band wagon fans!!!!!

It is so good to always have hope...!!!

Allan :wave: :thumbup:

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let me get this straight, I am somehow obliged to pay the Cardinals for the privilege of them making me miserable?

Why don't I have season tickets anymore? How about having to pay 30-50 bucks a ticket for two preseason games in the hottest weather known to man?

How about all the not just losing but horribly inept football in a stadium that is barely a good college stadium?

Bill Simmons cracks me up. However, unless a person has season tickets for this franchise from 1988 to 2000, I don't want to hear about it.

Improve the team, I will be there. Until, nope.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Mulli808 said:
Let me get this straight, I am somehow obliged to pay the Cardinals for the privilege of them making me miserable?

Why don't I have season tickets anymore? How about having to pay 30-50 bucks a ticket for two preseason games in the hottest weather known to man?

How about all the not just losing but horribly inept football in a stadium that is barely a good college stadium?

Bill Simmons cracks me up. However, unless a person has season tickets for this franchise from 1988 to 2000, I don't want to hear about it.

You're joking, right? Tell it to Philly fan who went to 10 games a year, in the hot and in the snow, and horrible crumbling Veterans stadium. Tell it to Steeler fan in crappy Three Rivers. Or Charger fan at Qualcomm and their 5-win season after 5-win season. THE ARIZONA CARDINALS COULDN'T LEGITIMATELY SELL OUT TO GET INTO THE PLAYOFFS OR ON MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL!!!! What was the excuse then?

Every Phoenix no-show has an excuse not to support the team. If the Cards played in Alabama, I assure you no one there would bellyache.

Card Trader

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Mulli808 said:

Well I won't go into questioning your level of "fandom".....but win or lose, going to the stadium on Sundays is an absolutely great experience, of course when we win it's alot better. And if you really follow this team you will know that they are a pretty competitive home team and there is some real good football played at SDS on Sundays.

Then again, you'd have to be there to know that.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
My favorite excuse is, "When they first moved here the tickets were the most expensive in the league."

Waaaaaaa. Waaaa. Waaaaaaaaaaa.

If you're not with us when we lose, then we don't want you when we win.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
SECTION 11 said:
My favorite excuse is, "When they first moved here the tickets were the most expensive in the league."

Waaaaaaa. Waaaa. Waaaaaaaaaaa.

If you're not with us when we lose, then we don't want you when we win.

Remember how the NY Jets wanted to charge $50 just to stay on the waiting list for season tickets? The Giants might be able to double their ticket prices and still sell out... with a waiting list.

In Washington, pre-season games are the only opportunities that some fans have to see the team live.

But, you know. Phoenix is a great sports town.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
You're joking, right? Tell it to Philly fan who went to 10 games a year, in the hot and in the snow, and horrible crumbling Veterans stadium. Tell it to Steeler fan in crappy Three Rivers. Or Charger fan at Qualcomm and their 5-win season after 5-win season. THE ARIZONA CARDINALS COULDN'T LEGITIMATELY SELL OUT TO GET INTO THE PLAYOFFS OR ON MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL!!!! What was the excuse then?

Every Phoenix no-show has an excuse not to support the team. If the Cards played in Alabama, I assure you no one there would bellyache.
There is a combination of reasons why the Cardinals have trouble selling tickets. Here are the biggest reasons:

1) I think the biggest reason is fan appathy. Who wants to root for a loser? Just mention the name Bidwill and people think "Cheap Bastard". This is the biggest hurdle to over come. The only cure will be WINNING on a consistant basis.

2) Other loyalities. Until recently, no one living in Arizona was a native Arizonan. People came from all over the country and kept there original teams close to their hearts. With more children growing up native Arizonans this is slowly begining to change. However we need a few more superstars like Boldin to give these kids someone to look up to.

3) Stadium and weather. I don't care how you spin it but watching a game at SDS during the middle of September at 1pm is the worst experience in the NFL. You could have white out conditions and 3 feet of snow but at least you can add more layers to keep you warm. There is nothing you can do to get you any cooler when you are sitting there baking in the sun at SDS. The worst is when the humidity rises and that sweat cloud forms over the field. Not to mention sharing your seat with the fat sweaty guy sitting next to you isn't my idea of money well spent.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
MadCardDisease said:
3) Stadium and weather. I don't care how you spin it but watching a game at SDS during the middle of September at 1pm is the worst experience in the NFL. You could have white out conditions and 3 feet of snow but at least you can add more layers to keep you warm. There is nothing you can do to get you any cooler when you are sitting there baking in the sun at SDS. The worst is when the humidity rises and that sweat cloud forms over the field. Not to mention sharing your seat with the fat sweaty guy sitting next to you isn't my idea of money well spent.

I agree. There's no comparison between hot and cold extremes.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
THE ARIZONA CARDINALS COULDN'T LEGITIMATELY SELL OUT TO GET INTO THE PLAYOFFS OR ON MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL!!!! What was the excuse then?

In the first game, the Cards were playing to win a Wild Card spot in the playoffs. In December. In the second, the Cards had just gone 9-7 and advanced to the NFC Divisional Championship. They were a team on the rise. In both games, the Phoenix market failed to legitimately sell out the game.

Phoenix fan didn't turn out for a winner. Phoenix fan didn't turn out for a night game. Phoenix fan didn't even turn out for free tickets to see one of the better teams in the NFL and one of the best runningbacks in the history of the NFL.

Phoenix Sports Fan is the worst sports fan in the country.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Phoenix fans are pretty bad bandwagoners and I guess I am included in the "bad people" that don't show up for the games at home. :oops:

I wish I could justify season tickets (I don't even mind sitting on the sunny side). I will hopefully get to a couple of single games this year. I do listen on the radio and watch the road games. Of course I am not big on going to sporting events in general (I have never attended a spring training game) and probably have attended more Cardinals games than any other team.

I have even gone to games in the past when I had to work a 12 hour shift starting at 6:30 pm Sunday night. I went by myself to to Jake's first start against Houston. OMG it was ugly but I stayed for the whole thing.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
SECTION 11 said:
I agree. There's no comparison between hot and cold extremes.

Even then, though. Miami fan and Jacksonville fan turn out. So does Tampa fan. None of those teams play in a dome.

denverbirdfan

thanks for flying
Reaction score
as much as i hate them, denver support for the broncos is the exact opposite of my experiences in tempe. the whole city is looking forward to tommorow's opening of camp more than christmas. it's sick.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
Even then, though. Miami fan and Jacksonville fan turn out. So does Tampa fan. None of those teams play in a dome.
All of those stadiums are within a few miles of the coast. They don't even come close to the Temps we reach at SDS. Not to mention they are all state of the art facilities compared to SDS.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do the winning percentages of Miami, Denver, Jacksonville, Tampa, Philly compare to the winning percentage of the Cardinals in the last five to ten years?

Geez I hope Green gets the job done.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
MadCardDisease said:
All of those stadiums are within a few miles of the coast. They don't even come close to the Temps we reach at SDS. Not to mention they are all state of the art facilities compared to SDS.

Mulli808 said:
How do the winning percentages of Miami, Denver, Jacksonville, Tampa, Philly compare to the winning percentage of the Cardinals in the last five to ten years?

Phoenix fan doesn't turn out for a winner when it's nice out. How many games sold out during the 98 season? Two?

There are always excuses.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05