Bill Simmons Lobs Bomb on Cardinal Fans

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Mulli808 said:
So, instead of accepting the stadium we got them, they should have moved to Alabama? I can see Los Angeles, Portland, or San Antonio if we didn't approve the stadium. but Alabama?

How bad can the fan base be, if the Phoenix area voted to pay for a new stadium?

I would have moved after '99. When the fans turned their back on a playoff team.

Alabama his a football state. They love football there. I'd move a team to Alabama. I bet people said the same thing about Tennessee.

I'd move to Alabama before Portand, that's for sure.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does Bill Simmons have a media credential we can use to follow the Cardinals?

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
I would have moved after '99. When the fans turned their back on a playoff team.

Because they deserved so much respect after cutting Centers and releasing Gedney when he got sick.

I don't think anyone denies Phoenix is a bandwagon town but there are reasons (and some excuses) but loyalty is a two way street. The Cardinals have not always shown loyalty and respect to the players and fans but the fans (and players) are all supposed to respond with loyalty and respect?

Doesn't seem reasonable to me.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
RedStorm said:
Every die hard fan of any team started by hoppin on a wagon. They just stick around. Don't despise those who wish to join later. You have to start somewhere.

No, you get me wrong. I WANT the bandwagon fans because even if they are just casual fans, they will pump a ton of revenue into the Cards pockets which I then expect them to use to maintain a winning team.

K9 is pissing and moaning about fans here and keeps changing his damn examples to suit his warped thought process. First, he is talking about the Bucs and then the Jets and Cleveland. He keeps using these examples of long term franchises who have several generations of fans built up and tries to apply his assinine theories to a franchise that has been in AZ for 15 years and has sucked almost every one of those years. Oh and then he pisses and moans about the fan base.

Whatever, this conversation if massive ****ed and I am done with it.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
SirChaz said:
Because they deserved so much respect after cutting Centers and releasing Gedney when he got sick.

I don't think anyone denies Phoenix is a bandwagon town but there are reasons (and some excuses) but loyalty is a two way street. The Cardinals have not always shown loyalty and respect to the players and fans but the fans (and players) are all supposed to respond with loyalty and respect?

Doesn't seem reasonable to me.

Dude. Players get cut. Do you think that Tampa fan is going to turn on the Bucs because they let Lynch and Sapp walk? Please.

Larry Centers was a fullback. He did nothing after getting released. That was a good decision. It always bugs me that Phoenix fan would rather have a crappy player than a good one, as long as the crappy player is a good guy.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
Larry Centers was a fullback. He did nothing after getting released.
He did more than Mackovica, which is who took over for him, right?

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
This thread is ********. Guess what Kerouac? Jacksonville had their home opener blacked out as well as others last year. The year before a grocery store had to buy up chunks of tickets to ensure local TV in their games. Sound familiar?

The Raiders only sold out two games last year a few months after a Super Bowl appearance. USC usually only sells out the Notre Dame and UCLA games and they have been one of the better college football teams of the last fifty years. The Chargers never sell out. You can still get Seahawks season tickets. I just bought good tickets for tomorrow night's game at Petco for a crucial midseason battle between contenders in a brand new stadium.

West Coast sports fans are not very good, whether they be in Phoenix, Seattle, (who coincidentally didn't sell out the opener of their new stadium), or LA. You're preaching to the choir and frankly, acting like jackass Nem.

RedRob

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
K9 - Couldn't agree more. The sports fans in this town suck. Anybody who's from out of state and are followers of any team can't disagree.

Lived in AZ for 2 years now, originally from St. Louis area. My bro and friend came out a couple years ago to watch the Cards and DBacks in the playoffs. Bought front row, centerfield tickets off a scalper for $20!! You couldn't buy a place in line to see the baseball Cards in St. Louis.

Yeah, the fans will come win the Cards win. And they'll most certainly leave when they're losing. You can't go to the playoffs every year. But in this town, that's what it takes to fill the stadiums/arenas. Pathetic.

P.S. I'm obviously not referring to anyone on this board if you care enough to stay up with the team before pre-season's here. Great sports fans run amock in this place.

Last edited:

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the fan base is so bad here, why do we keep buying teams new stadiums?

Real fans should support the Cardinals by buying tickets from the ticket office and not scalpers. Just kidding.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Pariah said:
He did more than Mackovica, which is who took over for him, right?

I dunno. Before I check the stats, it's probably fair to mention that Joel and Larry were totally different players, and one reason that Larry was released was because the Cards were switching offensive philosophies. But:

Centers appeared in 72 games from 1999 to 2003. He carried the ball 98 times for 452 yards, a 4.6 average, scoring 4 TDs. He also tallied 292 receptions for 2550 yards, an 8.7 average, scoring 9 TDs. This over five seasons.

I couldn't find any stats of Mackovicka. Centers never really made an impact in Washington, and failed to really distinguish himself in Buffalo. He was good at what he did, but he couldn't do what the Cardinals wanted him to do. So he was released.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
West Coast sports fans are not very good, whether they be in Phoenix, Seattle, (who coincidentally didn't sell out the opener of their new stadium), or LA. You're preaching to the choir and frankly, acting like jackass Nem.

Hear, here. :thumbup:

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
Dude. Players get cut. Do you think that Tampa fan is going to turn on the Bucs because they let Lynch and Sapp walk? Please.

Larry Centers was a fullback. He did nothing after getting released. That was a good decision. It always bugs me that Phoenix fan would rather have a crappy player than a good one, as long as the crappy player is a good guy.

As I recall Centers was a fan favorite, a team leader, and a big part of the team in '98. I don't think it was a football decision.

Add to that Gedney and Lomas Brown and while I agree they are debatable moves the outcome on the field the following season was not.

You cannot seriously tell me the Cardinals make good decisions and the fans simply don't understand them. The proof of their decision making is the results on the field and the number of fans in the stands. The fans here have some blame but that does not absolve the Cardinals from their role in low attendance.

Man, could we just start the season already?!? :)

Last edited:

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
SECTION 11 said:

We'll see. I'll be in Lincoln for the KU game on October 2nd or the Mizzou game on the 30th and I'll be judging whether 'Sker fans are good fans or they just have no lives.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Phoenix is a great sports town.

There are not many other places where you can go and watch all of the four major sports all within 15 miles of each other.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
MadCardDisease said:
I think Phoenix is a great sports town.

There are not many other places where you can go and watch all of the four major sports all within 15 miles of each other.

Not to mention all the other sports. Bowl games, golf tournaments, college sports, spring training, car racing, and indoor sports like arena football and indoor soccer.

For having such terrible fans they sure have a lot of teams started or moved here.

schel

This is our year!
Reaction score
SirChaz said:
Not to mention all the other sports. Bowl games, golf tournaments, college sports, spring training, car racing, and indoor sports like arena football and indoor soccer.

For having such terrible fans they sure have a lot of teams started or moved here.
I guess they're looking into the future. I think Phoenix will be a great sports town given the time. Right now though... it's sad.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
schel said:
I guess they're looking into the future. I think Phoenix will be a great sports town given the time. Right now though... it's sad.

I agree it is a little sad, and I wouldn't say any of the teams are "thriving" right now. Suns, Diamondbacks, and Coyotes are all cutting or have had to cut payroll. We all know about the Cardinals, but they are helped with a hard cap and a share of the TV money. The fans have sure abandoned the Suns and the Diamondbacks pretty quick. It possible some of these teams might not last if taken for granted.

But the lesson for the teams is; if you win the fans will come. True there are places like NY where people grew up on Jets or Giants football, but most of the more casual fans show up for a winner.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05