BJ Ojulari tears ACL in practice

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
This is where we're farther apart than we think. It doesn't take 3 years of patience to sloooowly evaluate a roster and sloooowly rebuild in the NFL.
No it doesn't. It doesn't when a roster has a little bit of talent. Rebuilds are exacerbated when the roster has to also purge talent because of bad fits like Marquise Brown.
Long rebuilds don't need to be and often aren't a thing in the modern NFL. Quick turnarounds, especially in the lesser conference, can be done, and done well. We've moved slower than necessary, for me.
The Cardinals are in the toughest division in the NFC by a wide margin though, so this doesn't really apply much.
Also, I have no faith we suddenly shift gears and change approach next offseason. I see more of the same.
This is the part where, we'll see. The Cardinals will have a huge opportunity. Let's hope they use it.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Alarming statement.
Not compared to sacks. Pressures mean the QB still has a chance to make a play. Not the case when he's on the ground. Nobody is getting any accolades, or pro bowl votes, for being a guy who gets a lot of pressures.

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
I am going to formally say this. Brian Burns is a better player than Dennis Gardeck. Whether he is worth 25 mil more per year and a 2nd and 5th(?), I will let you all debate.
That's not a good argument because with the cap increase, the $$$$ market for pass rushers has increased. You could say the same argument, is Jordan Love deserving of being in the same pay grade area as Mahomes or Burrows based on a hot 6 game streak to end the year? Prescott is probably going to be the highest paid player in the league. Nobody is saying he's the best but that's what the market says.

So, to answer your question, in today's world, YES, Burns is worth the price.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's not a good argument because with the cap increase, the $$$$ market for pass rushers has increased. You could say the same argument, is Jordan Love deserving of being in the same pay grade area as Mahomes or Burrows based on a hot 6 game streak to end the year? Prescott is probably going to be the highest paid player in the league. Nobody is saying he's the best but that's what the market says.

So, to answer your question, in today's world, YES, Burns is worth the price.
Flawed argument. Just because a market trends a certain way doesn’t make someone worth it. I’ll go on record and say Love is not worth being the HP player in the league. Trends don’t change that. Never will. Just shows the actual ignorance that is pro sports and the NFL.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Flawed argument. Just because a market trends a certain way doesn’t make someone worth it. I’ll go on record and say Love is not worth being the HP player in the league. Trends don’t change that. Never will. Just shows the actual ignorance that is pro sports and the NFL.
When the choice is make him the highest paid player in the league or not lock him down, what do you do? I'm glad we don't have that problem at a major position right now. Then again, I hope we do have those problems at major positions soon :)

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I am going to formally say this. Brian Burns is a better player than Dennis Gardeck. Whether he is worth 25 mil more per year and a 2nd and 5th(?), I will let you all debate.
No one disagrees that he isn't.

You are nailing my argument. Say the Cardinals out bid the Giants with a 2nd and a 4th and then he proceeds to put up 8 sacks, and 30 pressures, but because he's getting paid close to $30 million, he hamstrings the cap. Meh.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
because he's getting paid close to $30 million, he hamstrings the cap. Meh.
If we signed him to that deal, we're not looking for other high-priced FAs on defense. You build around him.

The Cards have $35 million in cap space right now and $85 million projected in 2025. There's plenty of money to sign a difference maker if you want to and continue to build.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
If we signed him to that deal, we're not looking for other high-priced FAs on defense. You build around him.

The Cards have $35 million in cap space right now and $85 million projected in 2025. There's plenty of money to sign a difference maker if you want to and continue to build.
Agreed. The Cardinals are not in the "tough financial choices" stage of the franchise process. OUr top 10 players includes a 29 year old RB, two Ss, and a TE. Maybe an ILB as well.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

You are nailing my argument. Say the Cardinals out bid the Giants with a 2nd and a 4th and then he proceeds to put up 8 sacks, and 30 pressures, but because he's getting paid close to $30 million, he hamstrings the cap. Meh.
If only we had such problems lol

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score

The Lions have signed Sewell, Goff, St. Brown and I think another player to big contracts this off season.
Think they’re worried about the cap?
The cap really doesn’t keep teams from keeping the guys they want or adding a big free agent.
The only cap hit of significance after this year is Murray.
Fans worrying about the cap is a waste of time. It hinders no team from keeping the players they want.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Lions have signed Sewell, Goff, St. Brown and I think another player to big contracts this off season.
The cap really doesn’t keep teams from keeping the guys they want or adding a big free agent.
Fans worrying about the cap is a waste of time. It hinders no team from keeping the players they want.
The same constant Cap Warriors are the same people who consistently predicted eventual cap hell for the Rams, pointing to how screwed they’d be eventually… while we were terrible or mediocre and they were going to multiple Super Bowls, winning one, then bottoming out (while still being better than us) AND already making the playoffs and being demonstrably better than us while our cap looked so pristine and their “cap hell” hit.

It’s a lame excuse. As noted and as proven by teams like the Rams, the cap can always be manipulated by teams who’s number one goal is winning.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
All better players than Burns, who managed 20 pressures.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The same constant Cap Warriors are the same people who consistently predicted eventual cap hell for the Rams, pointing to how screwed they’d be eventually… while we were terrible or mediocre and they were going to multiple Super Bowls, winning one, then bottoming out (while still being better than us) AND already making the playoffs and being demonstrably better than us while our cap looked so pristine and their “cap hell” hit.

It’s a lame excuse. As noted and as proven by teams like the Rams, the cap can always be manipulated by teams who’s number one goal is winning.
I don’t know a time when our cap looked pristine during the Keim years, do tell…

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t know a time when our cap looked pristine during the Keim years, do tell…
That’s just it… it usually wasn’t, but that didn’t stop a lot of the same people here from claiming that almost everything he was doing was spot on and that we’d have the last laugh on teams like the Rams because we weren’t spending on a bunch of FAs.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
That’s just it… it usually wasn’t, but that didn’t stop a lot of the same people here from claiming that almost everything he was doing was spot on and that we’d have the last laugh on teams like the Rams because we weren’t spending on a bunch of FAs.
Yep I was one of those fans until I started paying attention to those contract signings pushing up the year to year dead cap monies. I kept thinking we were mortgaging our future just as the DiamondBacks had. I remember a financial commentary stating it would take the Snakes 10 years to climb out of the dug hole and the article proved correct.

I agree with the Rams assessment which makes me think our coaching and eye for talent just hasn’t been up to par. I do believe they move off of mistakes much quicker than the Cardinals. They find a way to lessen the impact of miscalculations where we just dig a bigger hole for the team.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Yep I was one of those fans until I started paying attention to those contract signings pushing up the year to year dead cap monies. I kept thinking we were mortgaging our future just as the DiamondBacks had. I remember a financial commentary stating it would take the Snakes 10 years to climb out of the dug hole and the article proved correct.

I agree with the Rams assessment which makes me think our coaching and eye for talent just hasn’t been up to par. I do believe they move off of mistakes much quicker than the Cardinals. They find a way to lessen the impact of miscalculations where we just dig a bigger hole for the team.
Snead also hit on like 6 draft picks, which is extremely lucky. The Rams aren't in the playoffs last year if they don't find all time best rookie WR Nacua, 9 sacks out of Kobie Turner, and 8 sacks out of Byron Young. That type of fortune is extremely rare in the NFL and most observers didn't believe that would happen.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
training camp is always full of optimism, but that said:

the offense sure looks like it could be really good. And in this NFL, a good offense means the team will be in every game and could press for a playoff spot

so curious if Monti concludes that the offense is ahead of schedule and maybe getting a good pass rusher in Judon or Reddick could further accelerate the rebuild.

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
training camp is always full of optimism, but that said:

the offense sure looks like it could be really good. And in this NFL, a good offense means the team will be in every game and could press for a playoff spot

so curious if Monti concludes that the offense is ahead of schedule and maybe getting a good pass rusher in Judon or Reddick could further accelerate the rebuild.
I was calling for a Reddick trade earlier in the off season.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Unfortunatley, cardinals underground poured cold water all over any trade scenarios. So lower your expectations accordingly. Sounds like we will be doing pass rush by committee. Sigh...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05