BJ Ojulari tears ACL in practice

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NEWS FLASH! There will be more injuries this year. Every injury technically weaken the roster.
MO’s plan surely points to building depth and employ rotation especially on the lines.
Spending 25m on one player at this time doesn’t put us over the top quite yet.
I for one am enjoying the fact that football is back ( I’m a White Sox fan!).
My fandom tells me we start out 0-1. But I remember heading into Tennessee on opening day a few years back thinking we were going to get crush and the opposite happened.
Don’t worry. Be happy…. For now.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
That reported $35 million of cap space, with paying rookies, free agents, etc, how much is really left?

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
All of it. Thats where we are right now.
Minus 3.75M for Collins' garanteed money that goes against this year's cap.

So. Roughly 30.5M left.

5M spare for emergencies.

Only realistic add now would be an Edge. Carl Lawson, Shaq Lawson or Ngakoue would cost 5-8M.

That's still around 17M to spend. 3 solid starters left on their last year of the contract - Froholdt, Hernandez & Kyzir White. Guessing Froholdt and White would be the two players most likely to be extended. Hernandez is older, has way more "milage" and there is an abundance of talented but unproven players behind him.

Last edited:

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Minus 3.75M for Collins' garanteed money that goes against this year's cap.

So. Roughly 30.5M left.

5M spare for emergencies.

Only realistic add now would be an Edge. Carl Lawson, Shaq Lawson or Ngakoue would cost 5-8M.

That's still around 17M to spend. 3 solid starters left on their last year of the contract - Froholdt, Hernandez & Kyzir White. Guessing Froholdt and White would be the two players most likely to be extended. Hernandez is older, has way more "milage" and there is an abundance of talented but unproven players behind him.
Thanks. :thumbup:

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
I’m very confused how you come to your conclusion. with that last sentence. Going into the off-season, one of our biggest needs was pass rusher. We decided not to spend money to get one. We didn’t take one early in the draft. And now the guy, who didn’t even show much last season, but we depended on to take the leap, is done for the year. How exactly was letting one of the most important positions in football to be completely bare before the season even starts the right calculated decision? I guess I can see a world where you say it remains to be seen if that was the right calculated decision, but how do you make that claim that it was the right decision without even seeing how the results play out on the field?
That’s a great point

Last edited:
OP
OP
SoonerLou

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Why isn’t anyone taking about the Burns miss?
Hes the exact guy in the right situation.
That Monti couldn’t beat that offer is insane.
For better or worse Monti's plan is to build through the draft.

While Burns is better there's a case to be made for signing Greenard from the Texans and still keeping your 2nd round pick.

Agree with Harry. I think Monti is waiting until year 3 or 4 to push all the chips in. Right now the plan is to see if the young guys surprise similar to the Packers a year ago.

Last edited:

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Why isn’t anyone taking about the Burns miss?
Hes the exact guy in the right situation.
That Monti couldn’t beat that offer is insane.
Do we know we had an opportunity to get Burns?? He would have been a solid get for sure. But lots of guys have a list of where they want to play.
A guy who struggles to get snaps has to go where the work is but a guy in the star category can kinda pick where they want to play.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
The criminal thing is Brian Burns being available for a 2nd round pick this year and a 5th next and Monti not addressing the pass rush that way. Burns is a 25 year old stud pass rusher that would've been a perfect fit. And Monti had the cap space to do it.

With all the picks the Cards had this year, they could've easily beat that Giants deal. I have a very hard time thinking Monti was content on counting on a breakout season from BJ to not pursue a proven commodity in Burns.
The problem with Burns is that he has been kind of up and down. I live in Panthers country now and a lot of Panthers fans didn't really want him back because the general view in the Carolinas is that Burns kind of dogged it last year and he has had multiple seasons where he got quite a few pressures and not enough sacks for the reputation he has generated by fans of other teams.

He had ONE more pressure than Gardeck last year. Not exactly an inspiring season for the now third highest pass rusher in the game

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The problem with Burns is that he has been kind of up and down. I live in Panthers country now and a lot of Panthers fans didn't really want him back because the general view in the Carolinas is that Burns kind of dogged it last year and he has had multiple seasons where he got quite a few pressures and not enough sacks for the reputation he has generated by fans of other teams.

He had ONE more pressure than Gardeck last year. Not exactly an inspiring season for the now third highest pass rusher in the game
sigh... I'm quickly remembering why I barely post on this board anymore. Arguments like the above, trying to defend the Cardinals who did nothing to get a possible upgrade like Burns by comparing his numbers to Gardeck's, while completely ignoring Burns overall impact where he not only had 2 more sacks than Gardeck, but also had 9 more tackles for loss than Gardeck is a sign the poster doesn't really want to engage in an honest debate.

Last edited:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
sigh... I'm quickly remembering why I barely post on this board anymore. Arguments like the above, trying to defend the Cardinals who did nothing to get a possible upgrade like Burns by comparing his numbers to Gardeck's, while completely ignoring Burns overall impact where he not only had 2 more sacks than Gardeck, but also had 9 more tackles for loss than Gardeck is a sign the poster doesn't really want to engage in an honest debate.
He also played THREE HUNDRED MORE SNAPS!!!

Cry foul on honest debate but leave that key stat out. That further proves the point I'm making.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He also played THREE HUNDRED MORE SNAPS!!!

Cry foul on honest debate but leave that key stat out. That further proves the point I'm making.

Man… I knew that instead of just admitting that you were wrong, you were going to make this really ludicrous point. You know why he played 300 more snaps? BECAUSE BURNS ISNT A GIMMICK TINY DUDE who wears down too easily AND CAN STAY ON THE FIELD THE ENTIRE GAME.

Your gotcha stat only boosts my argument. Burns is an every down LBer who can play an entire game, making plays in the backfield with QBs and RBs. Gardeck is a limited edge guy, who can only play a certain amount of snaps because he’s too small and tires and becomes more ineffective the more he plays.

You can’t impact a game like Burns can if you’re too small to be on the field to actually make plays the entire game, Krang.

This really isn’t hard to understand.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Man… I knew that instead of just admitting that you were wrong, you were going to make this really ludicrous point. You know why he played 300 more snaps? BECAUSE BURNS ISNT A GIMMICK TINY DUDE who wears down too easily AND CAN STAY ON THE FIELD THE ENTIRE GAME.
No he's a perennial underachiever for how talented he is. Burns has always been a second tier pass rusher who has never fully stepped up his game. One double digit sack season in his career.

The fact remains, he played 300 more snaps and outproduced Gardeck by ONE PRESSURE.
Your gotcha stat only boosts my argument. Burns is an every down LBer who can play an entire game, making plays in the backfield with QBs and RBs. Gardeck is a limited edge guy, who can only play a certain amount of snaps because he’s too small and tires and becomes more ineffective the more he plays.
And Carolina traded him for peanuts because they know he isn't worth almost $30 mill per year.
You can’t impact a game like Burns can if you’re too small to be on the field to actually make plays the entire game, Krang.
And yet he did, in 300 less snaps
This really isn’t hard to understand.
No it's not. Trading a near first round pick and paying a guy almost $30 million per year to BARELY out perform Dennis Gardeck is next level stupid.

BulldogCard

Veteran
Reaction score
The Giants paid Burns a lot. He's a good player but two 9 sack seasons, one dbl digit sack year and some decent stats, tfls. I felt like they wanted him as the missing piece for their D and the pass rush. He Also has some good players around him on that Giants defense.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Giants paid Burns a lot. He's a good player but two 9 sack seasons, one dbl digit sack year and some decent stats, tfls. I felt like they wanted him as the missing piece for their D and the pass rush. He Also has some good players around him on that Giants defense.

Since he’s been in the league, he’s sixth in sacks and I think 7th in TFL. And he did that on a pretty mediocre D surrounding him where teams could key in on him.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
For better or worse Monti's plan is to build through the draft.

While Burns is better there's a case to be made for signing Greenard from the Texans and still keeping your 2nd round pick.

Agree with Harry. I think Monti is waiting until year 3 or 4 to push all the chips in. Right now the plan is to see if the young guys surprise similar to the Packers a year ago.

If your franchise QB is 27 and healthy you should push in more chips than are currently in the pot. We took a backup tight end in the 3rd round so trading a 3rd for Reddick (if available for that price) shouldn’t be blasphemous in Monti’s mind.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Since he’s been in the league, he’s sixth in sacks and I think 7th in TFL. And he did that on a pretty mediocre D surrounding him where teams could key in on him.
Their DT is elite. Don’t imagine Brian Burns saw a ton of pass rush opportunities with the team being bad and offense being toothless.

Panthers faced the fewest passing attempts and fifth-most rushing attempts. No one defended the run more often in 2023 than the Arizona Cardinals.

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The criminal thing is Brian Burns being available for a 2nd round pick this year and a 5th next and Monti not addressing the pass rush that way. Burns is a 25 year old stud pass rusher that would've been a perfect fit. And Monti had the cap space to do it.

With all the picks the Cards had this year, they could've easily beat that Giants deal. I have a very hard time thinking Monti was content on counting on a breakout season from BJ to not pursue a proven commodity in Burns.
I understand your frustration, Cbus (and I agree with it to an extent), but it is not that easy. The salary cap is nothing else than an accounting tool. It has very little practical meaning. Cash is king, also in the NFL. Immediately after the trade, Burns got a new deal with a signing bonus of 35 million. To put it into perspective, when Murray signed his extension, he got 29 million in signing bonus. The trade for Burns and the contract extension was announced at the same time, so obviously the contract was agreed to before the deal, and I simply doubt that Michael Bidwill is willing to hand out that kind of cash. That is also why I doubt that they will trade for a proven guy, that might be available because he wants a new contract, like Trey Hendrickson from Cincy or Matt Judon from New England – or for that matter Haason Reddick from the Jets. The going rate for signing bonusses and guaranteed money for edge rushers are just very, very high compared to what Bidwill usually pays.

Now, you could argue that even a one-year rental of Burns would be worth a couple of draft picks.

P.S. The opposite perspective would be to question why the Panthers let him go. They have an almost new quarterback, a new coaching staff, a new front office, and one of the richest owners in the NFL. Why did they not want to keep their young stud edge rusher for the rebuild? If you have one of those, it is like having gold. I don’t get it.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
A couple things.
Oaken, Burns had zero say in where he was traded. He may have preferred one team over another but the Panthers GM is going to take the best offer for the Panthers. And, news flash, players are wanting to go where they're going to get paid.

Gandhi, I think the Panthers let him leave because they completely whiffed on the QB position and know they're not contending for the next 4-5 years. So, get something for him before he hits UFA. Also, if Bidwill isn't going to hand out those signing bonusses, he needs to sell the team. Hell, even Mike Brown is paying them out. No NFL owner is cash strapped.

Krang, REALLY????Gardeck vs. Burns comparison??? One guy is a special teams player with an occasional pass rush. The other is a coveted, $100 million dollar player. You'd be better off making a case for BJ. He has some potential. Gardeck is a known commodity. Plus Burns is just entering his prime playing years. Not trying to insult you but that is one of the farthest-reaching, outlandish comparisons that's ever been posted. I bet I could come up with a metric somewhere that shows Levi Brown was about as good as Walter Jones.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If your franchise QB is 27 and healthy you should push in more chips than are currently in the pot. We took a backup tight end in the 3rd round so trading a 3rd for Reddick (if available for that price) shouldn’t be blasphemous in Monti’s mind.
It’s possible Monti is waiting for the jury’s verdict to come in…

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
A couple things.
Oaken, Burns had zero say in where he was traded. He may have preferred one team over another but the Panthers GM is going to take the best offer for the Panthers. And, news flash, players are wanting to go where they're going to get paid.

Gandhi, I think the Panthers let him leave because they completely whiffed on the QB position and know they're not contending for the next 4-5 years. So, get something for him before he hits UFA. Also, if Bidwill isn't going to hand out those signing bonusses, he needs to sell the team. Hell, even Mike Brown is paying them out. No NFL owner is cash strapped.

Krang, REALLY????Gardeck vs. Burns comparison??? One guy is a special teams player with an occasional pass rush. The other is a coveted, $100 million dollar player. You'd be better off making a case for BJ. He has some potential. Gardeck is a known commodity. Plus Burns is just entering his prime playing years. Not trying to insult you but that is one of the farthest-reaching, outlandish comparisons that's ever been posted. I bet I could come up with a metric somewhere that shows Levi Brown was about as good as Walter Jones.
As good as Burns can be, he had ONE more pressure than Gardeck. There's no comparison to them as players...but there is a comparison to them based on production, and for all the hoopla, Burns barely outproduced Gardeck on a lot more snaps.

You'd want the Cardinals to trade a premium pick and pay a guy nearly $30 million per year for a guy who bests Gardeck by ONE pressure? Carolina moved on because he dogged it. I listen to Panthers chatter here and there and the fans didn't really want to bring him back at all. THere is a reason the team avoided paying him for multiple seasons, he's just not consistent enough. We all want the Cardinals to fill a hole, but there are right ways and wrong ways to fill that hole, and Burns was not that guy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05