Black Monday - 2024

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Pete Carroll is a 72 year old defensive minded coach whose defense has imploded the last few years. Great career but I think he’s done.
Pete Carroll is still sharp of mind, has the body of a man in his 50s and the energy of a man in his 30s. He has been outspoken that he still wants to coach. Bill Snyder coached at KSU until he was 79 and Bill was visibly frail the last 15 years. I think Pete could coach until 90 if he really wanted to.

Geno Smith immediately breaking Russell Wilson's franchise passing record, along with Russ imploding without Pete tells a lot. Payton even got Russ back to his late 2010s form and still decided he wasn't good enough. Imagine what Pete could do with a guy like Herbert.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Look at Pete keeping Geno in the moment.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
But Pete is 72 and about to get fat checks for interfering with whoever is the next coach of Seattle.

I don't understand why Harbaugh would leave Michigan to coach in the NFL. I guess he wants to top his brother.
He's going to pull a Pete Carroll and skip out of CFB just ahead of the sanctions.

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I don't know if this is the right thread for speculation, but I did not know where else to post it.

I find it at least interesting to think how Gannon and (newly fired Chargers head coach) Brandon Staley are best friends, and have known each other since they were 10 years old. It's not that I want Rallis replaced, as I think he has done more than could be expected, but Staley is a mastermind. It would be fascinating if Gannon could somehow find a role on the staff for him.

Also, Gannon has several times talked about his close relationship to (newly fired Raiders head coach) Josh McDaniels. Again, I am not trying to replace a current coordinator, and I am actually very optimistic about Petzing, but we all know how McDaniels have done wonders as an OC. And Ossenfort obviously knows McDaniels as well from their many shared years with the Patriots. I would guess that McDaniels goes where Belichick goes, but could Gannon possibly invent a place on the staff?

Maybe a position will open up if a team hires someone from the current Cards staff, but my point with this post is actually only that I find these thoughts fascinating.

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Assumes facts not in evidence.

That's cap, bruh.
You are better than that, Kerouac.

In his only year as DC, Staley made Rams' defense first in overall defense and first in scoring defense per game. The year before, they were ranked #13 and #17 in those two categories.

Josh McDaniels have won five Super Bowls as OC. Enough said.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
You are better than that, Kerouac.

In his only year as DC, Staley made Rams' defense first in overall defense and first in scoring defense per game. The year before, they were ranked #13 and #17 in those two categories.

Josh McDaniels have won five Super Bowls as OC. Enough said.
Staleys defenses with the Chargers were 23rd, 20th, and 28th in yardage. Perhaps his one year of success with the Rams was a combination of a bizzarro COVID season and a supporting cast of Aaron Donals, Michael Brockers, Leonard Floyd, and Jalen Ramsey.

True visionary.

Josh McDaniels had two consecutive teams mutiny on him. After Brady, McDaniels lead the 27th-ranked offense in the NFL.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Staleys defenses with the Chargers were 23rd, 20th, and 28th in yardage. Perhaps his one year of success with the Rams was a combination of a bizzarro COVID season and a supporting cast of Aaron Donals, Michael Brockers, Leonard Floyd, and Jalen Ramsey.

True visionary.

Josh McDaniels had two consecutive teams mutiny on him. After Brady, McDaniels lead the 27th-ranked offense in the NFL.
Aaron Donald is going to down as perhaps the greatest DL ever. It's crazy how much he helps a defense to cover for personnel issues.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I don't know if this is the right thread for speculation, but I did not know where else to post it.

I find it at least interesting to think how Gannon and (newly fired Chargers head coach) Brandon Staley are best friends, and have known each other since they were 10 years old. It's not that I want Rallis replaced, as I think he has done more than could be expected, but Staley is a mastermind. It would be fascinating if Gannon could somehow find a role on the staff for him.

Also, Gannon has several times talked about his close relationship to (newly fired Raiders head coach) Josh McDaniels. Again, I am not trying to replace a current coordinator, and I am actually very optimistic about Petzing, but we all know how McDaniels have done wonders as an OC. And Ossenfort obviously knows McDaniels as well from their many shared years with the Patriots. I would guess that McDaniels goes where Belichick goes, but could Gannon possibly invent a place on the staff?

Maybe a position will open up if a team hires someone from the current Cards staff, but my point with this post is actually only that I find these thoughts fascinating.
Dude. Put down the pipe and take three steps back.

Josh McDaniels is a disaster. Don't try to give him any credit for running Tom Brady 's offense.
I wouldn't let that douchebag mow the grass on the field...keep his toxic ass far away from the team

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

True visionary.

Seems like you are making the classic mistake of 1:1 transferring a coach' abilities from coordinator to head coach, or the other way around. It cannot be done like that, as it is not at all the same.

It is the same issue with your McDaniels-take. And by the way, three times he has been hired as a head coach. Not two. Which also means that he is such a good coordinator and offensive mind that three teams have hired him to be their head coach.

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Josh McDaniels is a disaster. Don't try to give him any credit for running Tom Brady 's offense.
I wouldn't let that douchebag mow the grass on the field...keep his toxic ass far away from the team
It is a fair take. Do you also think that Belichick is an overrated coach? I mean, 29-38 since Brady stopped his career. That is borderline horrible, and should without a doubt keep Belichick from ever even sniffing the Hall of Fame.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
It is a fair take. Do you also think that Belichick is an overrated coach? I mean, 29-38 since Brady stopped his career. That is borderline horrible, and should without a doubt keep Belichick from ever even sniffing the Hall of Fame.
then you would have to ask the same questions about Shula without Marino, or Walsh without Montana and Young.
Great head coaches come with great quarterbacks...not sure you can really have one without the other...Andy Reid might be the closest having reached four NFC championships with McNabb, then starting fresh with Mahomes in KC...but he couldnt win it all with McNabb.

but Josh McDouche has never been anything other than a failure when he wasnt working for Belichick

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pete Carroll is still sharp of mind, has the body of a man in his 50s and the energy of a man in his 30s. He has been outspoken that he still wants to coach. Bill Snyder coached at KSU until he was 79 and Bill was visibly frail the last 15 years. I think Pete could coach until 90 if he really wanted to.

Geno Smith immediately breaking Russell Wilson's franchise passing record, along with Russ imploding without Pete tells a lot. Payton even got Russ back to his late 2010s form and still decided he wasn't good enough. Imagine what Pete could do with a guy like Herbert.

Look at Pete keeping Geno in the moment.
Just read thst him to the Chargers is gaining momentum.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just read thst him to the Chargers is gaining momentum.
Nevermind! Florio deleted it from this morning and posted this.

And this.

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
but Josh McDouche has never been anything other than a failure when he wasnt working for Belichick
Tom Brady is the best quarterback to ever walk on this earth, and he will probably always be that, but I do think it is overrating him to think that he could have done that in any imaginable environment. Thus, I will give Belichick some credit in Brady's success, and if you do that, then I believe that you also have to give some to the assistant closest to him. I think it also speak volume that Brady multiple times throughout the years have praised McDaniels. I also think it was interesting to hear the reporting that Brady left the Patriots because he was upset that McDaniels didn't want to involve Brady more in gameplanning - even though that report (by reliable reporters) was built on anonymous sources. It could tell us something about who is helping who the most.

It certainly is a fair point that you give. My view is that six Super Bowl titles (and playing in nine), eight conference championships, and 14 division titles is not a coincidence. I certainly agree that an assistant coach can sort of being carried to success (Mr. Pendergast), but in my opinion, McDaniels' list of winning is too good to be just because of others giving it to him.

I personally think that one of McDaniels' best seasons was in 2008, where he guided Matt Cassel to be 11-5 as the Patriots starting quarterback, along with setting numerous records for himself. On top of that, obviously three teams in three seperate years have thought enough of McDaniels to hire him as their head coach.

I would, however, also like to add that I have not written anything about that I would like to add anyone to the staff. Only that I find it an interesting and fascinating brainstorming. I have noticed that Kerouac conveniently not answering on the mistake of comparing head coaching with assistant coaching (or arguing that I would like Gannon replaced), and all I have mentioned is the thought that his close relationship with Gannon could potentially open something up.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Josh McDaniels is an ok OC from a football standpoint. He is also an a hole. Dude has had zero success out of coaching successful Tom Brady led offenses, but does get some credit from not getting in his own way there.

The Belichick dynamic is very different. Significantly more of a symbiotic relationship for 20 years.

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I have noticed that Kerouac conveniently not answering on the mistake of comparing head coaching with assistant coaching (or arguing that I would like Gannon replaced), and all I have mentioned is the thought that his close relationship with Gannon could potentially open something up.
That taunt was uncalled for, and I would like to apology to Kerouac. I should not have wrote that.

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The Belichick dynamic is very different. Significantly more of a symbiotic relationship for 20 years.
I think that Oaken was right earlier in this thread, that great head coaches and great quarterbacks usually follow each other. That is not by coincidence, and I believe that Belichick have more credit for Brady's success than just symbolic.

Devilmaycare

Nerd Supreme
Reaction score
Breaking right now. Harbaugh accepts the Chargers job.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Breaking right now. Harbaugh accepts the Chargers job.

Open season on Michigan's recruiting class!

If he is going to be successful in the NFL, that was his best chance of the openings this year.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sparky