Blake etc

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
vikesfan said:
Covering the spread has nothing to do with college or pro football as soon as someone refers to the spread in their arguements their arguement can be ignored. The spread has nothing to do with the reality of teams and games it is an imaginary number made up by gamblers for gambling purposes.

Comparing a guy who took an Academic School in Stanford to Bowl games to a HS coach? That is ludicrous. Name the coaches ND could have hired instead of Ty who were available to come (and willing to come remember a lot of coaches cannot take the pressure of coaching at ND)! He was super qualified for the ND job and willing to take it on! This smells of something fishy to me. BTW his first season was better then what Faust or Davie did.

Next.

That may be the single most idiotic post I have seen all day.

It is not an 'imaginary' number. It is based on historical trends, facts, scoring offense, scoring defense, home, away, neutral, vs conference, vs non conference, on grass, on artificial turf, home favorite, away favorite, home underdog, away underdog, yards per games, yards per carry, yards allowed rushing per game/per carry, weather etc etc I could go on.

Facts are sports underwriters in Vegas do more research on teams/conditions/players/ and historical trends than most head coaches do!

It is not some 'made up' number pulled from someones ass! :rolleyes:

dopleganger

Veteran
Reaction score
so far away said:
Typing something on a message board doesn't make it a fact. I'm not worried about your style, but you should be. I could care less about ND football or who coaches there, especially if you're talking about it. I doubt you've ever MET the prom queen.

He's just an easy going guy looking for some female companionship to see where it goes.

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
LVCARDFREAK said:
That may be the single most idiotic post I have seen all day.

It is not an 'imaginary' number. It is based on historical trends, facts, scoring offense, scoring defense, home, away, neutral, vs conference, vs non conference, on grass, on artificial turf, home favorite, away favorite, home underdog, away underdog, yards per games, yards per carry, yards allowed rushing per game/per carry, weather etc etc I could go on.

Facts are sports underwriters in Vegas do more research on teams/conditions/players/ and historical trends than most head coaches do!

It is not some 'made up' number pulled from someones ass! :rolleyes:

You miss the point. The number means nothing in terms of football games. It means a lot to football gambling. The research is exhaustive I didn't say it wasn't - they do the research in order to generate a number. That number is designed not to reflect reality, but to get half the people to bet on one team and the other half on the other. That is the point of the number. And once the number is set it can be changed by how the betting comes down during the week. That number is a gambling thing not a football thing. Do players and coaches say we beat the spread or we didn't beat the spread after a game - no they don't cause the number is not related to the game of football - it is totally to do with gambling on the game of football.
I hope this makes sense.

Last edited:

dopleganger

Veteran
Reaction score
vikesfan said:
You miss the point. The number means nothing in terms of football games. It means a lot to football gambling. The research is exhaustive I didn't say it wasn't - they do the research in order to generate a number. That number is designed not to reflect reality, but to get half the people to bet on one team and the other half on the other. That is the point of the number. And once the number is set it can be changed by how the betting comes down during the week. That number is a gambling thing not a football thing. Do players and coaches say we beat the spread or we didn't beat the spread after a game - no they don't cause the number is not related to the game of football - it is totally to do with gambling on the game of football.
I hope this makes sense.

Dohh!! Wow you mean to tell me the 'spread' doesn't determine the winner.

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
vikesfan said:
I hope this makes sense.

It does make sense.

I misunderstood what you said.

I agree, no coach looks at the point spread to determine how they stack up etc.