Blazers @ Suns Game Thread

Amare32

STAT man
Reaction score
Portland Trail-Blazers (5-11 ) @ Phoenix Suns (10-5)

When Tuesday 6th December
Time: 6.00 PT
TV: UPN 45

The Phoenix Suns look to extend their winning streak to seven games as they host the struggling Portland Trail Blazers.

Phoenix had four winning streaks of six games or longer last season en route to a league-best 62-20 record. But with the offseason departures of Joe Johnson and Quentin Richardson, and a knee injury that should keep Amare Stoudemire out until February, owning the NBA's longest active win streak was hardly expected from the Suns.

Neither was their improved defense.

Phoenix, which gave up a league-high 103.3 points per game last season, has not allowed 100 points in any of its last eight games. The Suns' opponents are averaging 90.5 points during that span. The last time they held nine consecutive opponents under 100 in a single season was the first nine games of the 2002-03 season. "I think that's going to get us through this year, if we continue to focus on our defense," Suns center Kurt Thomas said. "We're going to score on other teams, so as long as we go out there and continue to play defense each and every night ... it will be key for us."

The Blazers have yet to score 100 points in a game this season and are averaging 85.9, among the worst in the league. They've dropped four in a row and eight of 10.

Phoenix won its sixth straight on Sunday night, with James Jones scoring a season-high 20 points and Shawn Marion also getting 20 in a 112-94 victory over the Atlanta Hawks.

The Suns set the tone early, outscoring the Hawks 25-10 in the first quarter, the fewest points they've allowed in any period this season. The lead grew to as many as 37 points in the opening minute of the fourth quarter.

"I thought we played real well the first three quarters, especially defensively," Suns coach Mike D'Antoni said. "We're getting good games from different guys and the guys showed a good effort, and kept their concentration throughout the game. All in all, it was a pretty good game."

Boris Diaw finished with 14 points and nine assists. Diaw has scored in double figures in eight consecutive games after scoring in double figures eight times all of last season with Atlanta.

Phoenix leads the league in scoring, averaging 103.3 points. The Suns also have made more than twice as many 3-pointers as the Blazers, 123-52.

Portland has been outscored by an average of 14.0 points in its last four games, and is coming off a 98-93 loss to the Utah Jazz on Sunday.

The Blazers were without starting forward Darius Miles against the Jazz because of cartilage damage in his right knee.

Miles, averaging 18.2 points and 5.6 rebounds, was placed on the inactive list and had an MRI exam on Sunday which indicated he might need to have surgery.

"Basically, you're just rotating guys in. You're losing 18 points there," Blazers coach Nate McMillan said. "When key guys go down, it puts a lot of pressure on that team." Portland got 19 points from both Ruben Patterson and Sebastian Telfair.

Patterson had not played since cursing at McMillan during a game against New York on Nov. 20. He had spent the last seven games on the inactive list after complaining about his minutes.

"Everything's behind me. I'm just here to play," Patterson said. "I'm going to keep my mouth shut." The Suns have won six straight at home and are 8-2 against the Blazers in the last 10 meetings at America West Arena.

OP
OP
Amare32

Amare32

STAT man
Reaction score
Sorry there is no normal game preview, my computer's internet access is down so I'm using my friend's computer to post this. Hope my internet is back up to normal soon.

fordronken

Reaction score
I think Diaw will do a good job against Randolpy. Particularly because Randolph isn't a very athletic player. He stays pretty close to the floor, which benefits Diaw's ability to guard him.

nowagimp

Reaction score
fordronken said:
I think Diaw will do a good job against Randolpy. Particularly because Randolph isn't a very athletic player. He stays pretty close to the floor, which benefits Diaw's ability to guard him.

I also like the Diaw/ Randolph matchup for the suns. Question, do they have anyone athletic enough to contain Marion?

BirdMan21

Ex-Ex-AP Hype Man
Reaction score
I obviously saw a 45-point victory coming tonight. :biglaugh: This team continues to impress me

Neo

Red Tape Sorter
Reaction score
Another outstanding game from the Suns. The Blazers are not that good, but this is crazy. With less than 2 1/2 minutes less, both Nash (12) and Diaw (13) have more assists than the entire Blazers team (11).

I can't believe how good our new players, Bell, Jones, House, Diaw, and lately Thomas have turned out to be. When we get Amare back we are gonna be amazing.

Go Suns!

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
8 guys in double figures, and one of them is NOT Boris Diaw! :eek:

and 2 of them were Pat Burke and Dijon Thompson lol

I think Boris was too busy passing to get his 10. He was limited to only 13 assists :sarcasm:

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Just to add. No Amare, Eddie House, Leandro Barbosa, or Brain Grant and we still score 130 pts and win by 45.

It really is scary to think about how good this team can be

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:
Just to add. No Amare, Eddie House, Leandro Barbosa, or Brain Grant and we still score 130 pts and win by 45.

It really is scary to think about how good this team can be

I know this team reminds me of the 50 win teams of the late 80's and early 90's before the Barkley years. I think STAT is that missing piece. Maybe he won't return this season or be less than 100% this season but next season look out that maybe the Suns year to bring it home.

Biclops

Superhero with glasses
Reaction score
diaw has got to stop flirting with almost getting a triple double every single game.... just get one already :rolleyes:

honestly.... when was the last time two different players had 10+ assist in the same game

Go Suns !!!

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
Neo said:
Another outstanding game from the Suns. The Blazers are not that good, but this is crazy. With less than 2 1/2 minutes less, both Nash (12) and Diaw (13) have more assists than the entire Blazers team (11).

I can't believe how good our new players, Bell, Jones, House, Diaw, and lately Thomas have turned out to be. When we get Amare back we are gonna be amazing.

Go Suns!

If you look at it from a fantasy perspective (not stats fantasy geek stuff) If the SUns played the Spurs with the man to man D strategy (which AMare says he is learning by watching) This team stacks up with the Spurs. Now throw in the playoff weirdness guys chocking and stuff like that and you never know.

Someone who is reall smart do a comparison of the Suns w/ Amare (assume 100%) vs. Spurs and I bet we match up better now than we did last season.

sunsfn

Reaction score
Is this team this good?

I am really impressed with Kurt Thomas in the middle. If the suns would have had him last year.............YIKES!
Even before he started shooting, he was playing great defense and the thing he brings the most that I like is the toughness! (of course rebounds)

Raja Bell plays excellent defense and also brings that toughness that this team needed.

Diaw is an amazing passer for a 6"8" F/C, soon he will get less assists and start scoring more and then the suns will actually be better. He trys to make some passes that end up as turnovers, but for a 3 year guy that has played only about one year before this year, he is doing a great job and has a lot of talent.

James Jones with 22 points tonight looks so smooth as a shooter.

It appears that Grant taking off to have his operation, has opened playing time for Burke and he is taking advantage of it. He really is a hustler and brings lots of energy and is a good fit for this team.

Of course there is Nash and Marion holding down the fort every game, and Barbosa will be back next week........wow, Amare will put this team over the top if he can get back and get into shape before the playoffs.

Jackson, House, and then Thompson, and he appears to be another shooter.

I think I should add that D'Antoni is doing a great job with this team!

Last edited:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
When Dijon, Burke, and Jim Jackson are all in double figures scoring--its a good sign its a blowout.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
What a blowout! :eek:

Portland looked completely disinterested out there.

The Suns completely outclassed them.

This team is very impressive right now.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Blazers were intereted in the way that a deer in the headlights is interested. They seemed almost shell shocked at times as they couldn't figure out what to try to stop since the Suns were killing them in every possible way..

keric

Reaction score
Most complete game this year

Most complete game this year. Its nice to see 100 points in the 3rd quarter.

KT and Jones are really starting to shine.

I think its safe to say that we are going to make the playofs (barring and injury to Nash or Marion) (At the start of the season, I wasn't quite sure of the playoffs, now its looking pretty good)

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score
tomorrow is a big test for how far this team has come. after this, saturday will be a HUGE test. if we're truly badass, we'll win both games, and if we do that, i'd say we're a top 5 nba team WITHOUT amare (below sa, det, dal, and mem until proven otherwise).

right now, we have the 6th best record in basketball, we have an average margin of victory of +8.1 (3rd best in league behind pistons/spurs who both avg +8.2), score the most points in the game at 105ppg, and we just dropped 130 on someone.

wait, i'm going to say that again: WE DROPPED 130 ON SOMEONE. do you remember how often we did that with our juggernaut last year? we eclipsed that number only 2x last year, but look at the scores: 133-118 over NY and 136-128 over utah. putting up last year caliber numbers with GREAT defense and little/no inside presence=godly coaching. i don't care who you play, there aren't more than 2-3 teams that can drop 130 against anyone in even the best of circumstances. going over who we don't have right now: amare, barbosa, grant, house.

last year, dantoni did not deserve coach of the year. all he did was say 'gee, maybe i should play my 5 best guys'. debatable if that's worth COY. THIS YEAR...just unbelievable. lets just say before the season started, i was still on the fence about him, but not, just forget about it. nash is great, but at this point it's not just him, it can't be.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Who is scared by Dallas or Memphis? I am not.

I am not, they were very lucky to beat us. They won't stand the slightest chance if they meet a healthy Suns team in the playoffs or Spurs team. Really there is no team in the West that will beat the Suns or Spurs in the Western Conference Playoffs as long as they are healthy.

Dallas has the same record as us basically but they are no better than last year at all. I'd still say they are worse really losing Finley, getting nothing out of Christie..

Indiana doesn't look good either. Miami doesn't look very good without Shaq even with Alonzo playing great.

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score
you might be right, but without amare i don't think we are consistently better than them, and since they are 1-0 against us, they have the benefit on me until we play again.

keric

Reaction score
playstation said:
last year, dantoni did not deserve coach of the year. all he did was say 'gee, maybe i should play my 5 best guys'. debatable if that's worth COY. THIS YEAR...just unbelievable. lets just say before the season started, i was still on the fence about him, but not, just forget about it. nash is great, but at this point it's not just him, it can't be.

Excellent point! I think so far this year he is doing an outstanding job. His decision to let defenders guard one on one was the turning point and keys to the recent success. I think the Memphis game was the straw that created this decision.

So far Coach of the year either Dantoni or Fratello!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser