Boris or Jalen Rose?

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
As badly as Boris has been performing, wouldn't Jalen be a better option on the floor right now?

Here is Boris' output the last several games:
Jan 23 @ WSH - 41 min, 14 pts, 4 RB, 7 AST, 3 TO, 0-2 FT
Jan 24 @ NYK - 33 min, 7 pts, 6 RB, 6 AST, 3 TO, 1-3 FT
Jan 26 @ Mil - 36 min, 11 pts, 3 RB, 0 AST, 1 TO, 3-4 FT
Jan 28 @ Clev - 31 min, 4 pts, 1 RB, 8 AST, 1 TO, 0-0 FT
Jan 29 @ Min - 33 min, 12 pts, 0 RB, 3 AST, 0 TO, 2-2 FT
Feb 1 SAS - 38 min, 16 pts, 6 RB, 4 AST, 5 TO, 5-7 FT
Feb 3 Utah - 42 min, 15 pts, 8 RB, 5 AST, 5 TO, 2-7 FT
Feb 5 Den - 39 min, 4 pts, 2 RB, 6 AST, 3 TO, 0-0 FT

Those are just the last couple of weeks, but for the entire month of January, Boris avg 10.4 pts, 3.8 RB, 5.6 AST, 1.7 TO and 51% FT shooting. I struggle to see the justification for his high minutes with these numbers? Some will argue that there are only so many points to go around - however, on a PHX team that creates more possesions, there are more points to go around. I also don't like sloppy play of Boris at times. I was surprised to see his TOs were only 5,5, and 3 the last three games - it felt like 10, 15, and 8.

Those numbers are great for a FOURTH option.

High Stakes

Registered
Reaction score
Comish- He doesnt seem committed to boxing out because he is french...if we threw a chocolate ecclaire in his face he'd be one espresso away from ben wallace stature

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Jalen cannot play the backup SG position, I'm wondering what position he can play on the Suns (as some apparently think he is too slow to play backup PG).

I'm thinking if Barbosa and Banks play the PG position while Nash is out, Raja will need some rest at SG. Perhaps JR can play a little SG but still... I thought Jalen was going to be more than roster filler.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
This may be one of the worst threads of all time.

Boris and Jalen Rose play two different positions, so to compare them is not a good idea to begin with.

Also, what is with all the love for Jalen? I would think the coaching staff would know what he was capable of, and if he should be playing right now he probably would be.

As for Boris, the team certainly doesn't struggle with him in the game so I would conclude that he is doing his job and doing it correctly. Just because it doesn't show up in the box score all the time doesn't mean his contributions are minimal.

Reaction score
Boris does seem hesitant when he gets the ball, there are times when he wants to shoot, but passes up the opportunity to. He just needs to be confident. When he gets the ball at the top of the key or anywhere near the key, he just needs to pull the trigger. Also, there arent that many big men in the league that are quicker and better passers than Boris...

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
I'd love to see Rose play more as a 9th man, but it's easily Diaw. I just wish he could regain a little bit of the aggressiveness he had last year. He's been a big time ***** this year.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
Diaw over Rose but that's not saying much. Boris become more irrelevent with Amare assendance to pre microfracture form.

Boris can still help this team win it all IMO, he just has regressed with Amare returning to form, he needs to find his place at the carcass cause the alpha lions needs to eat.

Just for giggles, imagine JJohnson instead of Diaw...drool...hand us the title now please.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
A lot of people were arguing with me over the value of Diaw. I said there was no way he was worth over 8 million a year, and that 8 million was even a stretch. With Amare coming back Boris has been soft and definitely not worth his massive contract.

Diaw is a decent player who, by the end of the year, should average about 13/6/6. Is that worth his contract and the potential loss of Marion? I don't really think so.

Diaw is still tradable if it comes to that. Just being a starter player on the Suns would generate some deep interest and a good pacakge I am sure.

dodie53

A. O. II
Reaction score
im just asking here..

could the suns trade diaw now and secure marion in the future?

and

who whould you keep?
diaw or marion?

imo, i like marion better than diaw IF nash is still playing..

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
im just asking here..

could the suns trade diaw now and secure marion in the future?

and

who whould you keep?
diaw or marion?

imo, i like marion better than diaw IF nash is still playing..

I prefer Diaw to Marion, especially for the future. When Marion's athleticism starts to go he will be an average player at best. His game relies solely on his athletic ability.

Boris is a fundamentally sound player with athleticism to boot. He's only getting better.

dodie53

A. O. II
Reaction score
marion benefits from nash's play making skills/passing..
he can't create his own shot..

i hope diaw gets better right now..

what if coach D gives diaw some low post oppurtunities?
he's good with his back to the basket right?

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
Are you kidding me? Marion is sooo much better than Diaw. Diaw has had one (1) good season. Before that, he was a bust. Marion, on the other hand, has been nothing but the glue that always keeps the team in contention. Oh yeah, he's also a three time all-star.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
Even though I'd like to see some contribution from Rose, I believe a struggling Diaw is still better than Rose because of the things he can do.

cly2tw

Reaction score
Diaw is good at exploiting matchup advantage on the offensive switch with a guard. Marion can't even overpower Terry when isolated. That's one big reason why Diaw performs way better than Marion in the playoffs when the defense limit the number of fastbreaks we get.

justAndy

Jolly Nihilist
Reaction score
Marion - leader of the Diversified Skills Matrix, one of the most efficient per minutes players - if not the MOST efficient in the association - but Diaw is better?
:doi:

OP
OP
TucsonDevil

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
To respond to Green Machine and a few others - I started this thread to suggest that Diaw's minutes be reduced for another man in the rotation. Jalen Rose was the only option that I felt could come in and produce positive numbers. I was not and am not suggesting we bench Boris Diaw - however, having him play 36+ min doesn't make much sense to me considering his lack of high caliber production.

I do see the value in a good passer and 'offensive facilitator'. However, let's not be blind here - Boris is costing the Suns big money. He plays the role of "5th" option, when he is in the position to be 1st or 2nd option... example, he finds himself down low against a shorter/slower defender - makes a move then passes the ball into traffic, or back out to a shooter beyond the arc. This decision making causes TOs and missed shots. AND they are becoming the norm rather than the exception. I couldn't see last nights game (in Tucson), but it seems he had a good game. Maybe he was more aggressive knowing Nash wouldn't be there...? When Boris is aggressive, he is a great threat to score, and an even better passer.

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
whos kidding you?

Without Nash last night:

Boris: 8 rebounds, 5 assists, 3 turnovers, 0 steals, 6 fouls, 8 points

Marion: 13 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 turnover, 5 steals, 4 fouls, 12 points

Am I surprised? No course not.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
Nash said something very interesting last night (while doing color commentary). In D'Antoni's system, it requires the guards to read the defense; I can only guess that Jalen and (to some extent) Banks don't do a good job of reading the defense; hence, their style struggles.

That's why they say that with Boris and Raja, their BB IQ has gone up; these guys can read the defense and exploit it.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only problem is that Boris is being paid like a first or second option.

Are you really suggesting that 8 million dollars is the average for the two best players on most NBA teams? I really pay little attention to salaries but I thought most teams had at least one player making almost twice that amount? Am I just misinformed or were you embellishing?

Steve

sunsfn

Reaction score
Are you kidding me? Marion is sooo much better than Diaw. Diaw has had one (1) good season. Before that, he was a bust. Marion, on the other hand, has been nothing but the glue that always keeps the team in contention. Oh yeah, he's also a three time all-star.

Absolutely!! I like Boris and I think as the season goes on his numbers will go up but he is getting used to Amare and is giving up his game somewhat to do this, but Marion is so good and important to this running team that it would be hard to imagine this team winning as many games as they do without him.

The next time the suns play, just watch Marion for a while if you can take your eyes off the ball and Nash and Amare. Marion is all over the place on offense and defense!
They talk about Barbosa and Banks running the floor and who is the fastest from end line to end line, and I would agree they are probalby faster than Marion, but the other night (I forget which game) Barbosa had the ball and was running down the middle what looked like to me was all out, and all of a sudden Marion passed him on the right and Barbosa looked surprised and did a bounce pass to him for an easy dunk!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05