Brawl in NY-Den game, 10 Ejected

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You lost me. I wasn't saying he raised his hand because it was an obvious foul. I said that raising his hand does not, by itself, mean that the play wasn't dangerous.

Sure it was dangerous. There is at least one play per game that is dangerous. Players pushing one another on a fast break, players undercutting rebounders etc. Dangerous plays do not incite riots either, it is the way that the players react to them.

Remember, remember, the 16th of December. Sorry, I couldn't help myself with the vendetta reference. I started thinking about the movie "Vendetta."

Nevermind.

One of the better movies I have seen this year. Too bad she wasn't nakkid.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
If I may speak frankly - you're an idiot - at least in this regard.

Nice. I'm sure if this was directed at anyone else, you'd be banned. Way to get personal--that's a great way to get some respect. I'm an idiot because I don't agree with you? That's HI-larious.

OF COURSE there was no intent to cause injury to anyone. But go ahead and try to argue that there was no intent to cause harm. You cannot intentionally foul anyone running full tilt expecting the guy to stop on a dime ("Hey, STOP, I fouled you already!" - LMAO). Nor can you expect the running player to stop softly. Even if you bear hug him successfully, that is still a sudden stop that, at the very worst, can snap someones neck and injure it. Bad timing on the fouler's part can lead, and has led to injuries.

Why did you think Isiah thought to warn an NBA star? Because it'll be roses underneath the basket and he didn't want to share the aroma? It's like you're Rumsfeld saying that the US will be greeted as liberators in Iraq.

No one here is saying that Isiah or Mardy wanted to injure anyone, but what the hell do you think a "hard" or "flagrant" foul is? A love tap?

Did you seriously think that the former Temple coach meant for that one kid's arm to be broken? He wanted to "send a message", just as Isiah did. It's just that the timing or the effect of "the message" caused the kid to fall on his arm and break it - something that could have easily occurred to JR Smith, and anyone who has ever stepped on the court, including Isiah and Mardy surely knows the possible consequences.

Intent to injure? No. Foreknowledge of harm, and a possible injury? Damn skippy.

You are really taking this WAAAY overboard. Any NBA player is at risk for injury regardless of the power of the foul. Don't be so naive as to ignore that. Their feet could get tangled up, Collins could accidentally poke Smith in the eye. Of course there is a chance of injury, there is on everything.

But if you think a flagrant foul is an intent to injure, then you are just plain wrong. It's excessive, but to think you know the intent of every single one is just plain wrong.

Last edited:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice. I'm sure if this was directed at anyone else, you'd be banned. Way to get personal--that's a great way to get some respect.

You are really taking this WAAAY overboard. Any NBA player is at risk for injury regardless of the power of the foul. Don't be so naive as to ignore that. Their feet could get tangled up, Collins could accidentally poke Smith in the eye. Of course there is a chance of injury, there is on everything.

But if you think a flagrant foul is an intent to injure, then you are just plain wrong. It's excessive, but to think you know the intent of every single one is just plain wrong.

It is funny reading this thread, and seeing that some people cannot see in shades of gray.

A classic example last night. Dirk was going for a layup, it was a hard foul, and he got hit in the eye. The refs ruled it as a flagrant foul. Do you honestly think that he went to Dirk, and purposely meant to hurt him? Did he really try to poke him in the eye? I hope not.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
It is funny reading this thread, and seeing that some people cannot see in shades of gray.

A classic example last night. Dirk was going for a layup, it was a hard foul, and he got hit in the eye. The refs ruled it as a flagrant foul. Do you honestly think that he went to Dirk, and purposely meant to hurt him? Did he really try to poke him in the eye? I hope not.

Well, we're definitely in the minority on this issue. Unfortunately, I guess that means we're idiots. :confused:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser