Breaking news: Ricky Williams retired

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oran said:
I also respect his decision, but tell me that Miami wouldn't have drafted S. Jacson in the draft if they knew Ricky was leaving...
Or made a deal for Oguneyle (sp?!) and A-Train when those negotiations were going on. Don't tell me they couldn't have gotten that done.

Sam Wise

Big, Dumb, Stupid Looking
Reaction score
This is not the same as Robert Smith by any means. Smith was well liked and a team player, also the Vikings organization had some notice before it happened and he did it right after the season ended with a loss to Atalanta. I understand his feeilings and such, but he had a contract and he walked on it. He also walked on 52 other Professionals who were counting on him. That shows his true charecter which is selfish and without integrity. If he had planned this he could have give more than 3 minutes notice. I hope the Dolphins sue him for any signing bonus they are still responsible for. He will probably want to come back in 2 years and when that happens I hope teams don't sign him or only give him a veteran's minimum contract.

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
Sam Wise said:
This is not the same as Robert Smith by any means. Smith was well liked and a team player, also the Vikings organization had some notice before it happened and he did it right after the season ended with a loss to Atalanta. I understand his feeilings and such, but he had a contract and he walked on it. He also walked on 52 other Professionals who were counting on him. That shows his true charecter which is selfish and without integrity. If he had planned this he could have give more than 3 minutes notice. I hope the Dolphins sue him for any signing bonus they are still responsible for. He will probably want to come back in 2 years and when that happens I hope teams don't sign him or only give him a veteran's minimum contract.

Robert Smith was also a free agent, he wasn't signed and expected to be in camp in a week.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oran said:
I also respect his decision, but tell me that Miami wouldn't have drafted S. Jacson in the draft if they knew Ricky was leaving...

I read something this morning that implies Ricky had been telling Wannstedt for quite awhile he might retire. But obviously there's a big difference between saying I might retire, and telling him I am definitely retiring, get yourself another RB.

I'm a big Ricky fan but I think he did the Dolphins wrong here unless he really did tell them awhile ago this was coming, and if he did, why not announce it then?

Ricky's always been a unique guy but I think he pulled a Barry Sanders here, my understanding is his contract isn't nearly as tough on them as Sanders'
was on Detroit though.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ricky had enough. So who cares? He owes Miami nothing. If he had hurt a knee badly, Miami'd have cut him as soon as they were allowed.

I walked away from a lucrative programing job once because the money wasn't worth the aggravation.

What's the difference? He smokes dope in Negril, I drink wine in Carefree.

No worries. Be happy. Life is short.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Skkorpion said:
Ricky had enough. So who cares? He owes Miami nothing. If he had hurt a knee badly, Miami'd have cut him as soon as they were allowed.

I walked away from a lucrative programing job once because the money wasn't worth the aggravation.

What's the difference? He smokes dope in Negril, I drink wine in Carefree.

No worries. Be happy. Life is short.

I have no problem with him retiring, my problem is with the timing, he could have done this months ago pre draft and given them notice so they could plan accordingly.

Really all that's changed since then is his pot arrest and if that was the issue why not retire right then?

I like the guy but unless he really did tell them this was coming months ago and they ignored him, I think the timing really stinks. Driving home from vacation yesterday we heard some talk show from LA and they had a guy they kept calling "coach" who I think was Jim Mora Sr(didn't catch the name). This guy said that he's been told by contacts that Ricky came out at minicamp in a players only meeting and told everyone this was a Superbowl year if they all worked hard and busted their butts to get in better shape by the season. He basically implored the whole team to lay it all on the line if they wanted to win as badly as he did. If that's true, to just walk away now with no notice is tough to defend.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
I have no problem with him retiring, my problem is with the timing, he could have done this months ago pre draft and given them notice so they could plan accordingly.

Really all that's changed since then is his pot arrest and if that was the issue why not retire right then?

I like the guy but unless he really did tell them this was coming months ago and they ignored him, I think the timing really stinks. Driving home from vacation yesterday we heard some talk show from LA and they had a guy they kept calling "coach" who I think was Jim Mora Sr(didn't catch the name). This guy said that he's been told by contacts that Ricky came out at minicamp in a players only meeting and told everyone this was a Superbowl year if they all worked hard and busted their butts to get in better shape by the season. He basically implored the whole team to lay it all on the line if they wanted to win as badly as he did. If that's true, to just walk away now with no notice is tough to defend.

Who knows when he made the final decision to retire? I think it was very recent, because why would he attend all the minicamps and workouts if he knew he was hanging it up?

Lex

troublemaker
Reaction score
Big difference

From what I've been hearing, Ricky DOES owe the Dolphins some money, whatever.

It's a free country, bully for Ricky, you go girl.

However, Ricky found a way to stomach the terrible NFL life long enough to qualify for the pension, barely. He also had 3 years left on a contract HE agreed to. Now, before anyone brings up the fact that there are no guaranteed contracts in the NFL, and that teams will cut a guy with no remorse, remember the contract. The contract that contained a huge signing bonus, because contracts aren't guaranteed. The contract Miami offered Ricky gave him huge compensation, just to be Ricky Williams, the Ricky Williams he had been, with similar production. If production dropps off, from the teams point of view, he's in breach of contract. If production is better than expected, players force re-negotiation.

The big problem here is, Ricky had agreed to be a leader on the team this year. Only a few days ago, he was a cheerleader for the team, the "captain" he even helped talk players into going to Miami.

Then he bolts a week before camp? His team mates must be thrilled with him. Perhaps that's why he took a one way flight to Asia?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lex said:
The big problem here is, Ricky had agreed to be a leader on the team this year. Only a few days ago, he was a cheerleader for the team, the "captain" he even helped talk players into going to Miami.

Then he bolts a week before camp? His team mates must be thrilled with him. Perhaps that's why he took a one way flight to Asia?

That's the report I mentioned in another post about him giving a big
pep talk.

You may be onto something with the Boston at fault angle (-:

Whoever the guy was I heard(again I THINK it was Jim Mora SR.) he said that he heard reports that Ricky would periodically miss practice both as a Saint and a Dolphin because he was busy painting or drawing a picture and got so "lost in the moment" that he simply couldn't stop for practice. This is not out of character for him to retire early, but the timing appears to be pretty bad.

We may never know why though he's made it pretty clear he has no intention of doing interviews about it.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bottom line, IMO, is that he doesn't OWE anyhting to the NFL, the Dolphins or the fans. It was pretty clear that this was a job for Williams, and nothing else. That's okay if he's okay with it, and he seemingly is. Do I think he should have handled it differently? Yeah. I know I would have. But, he didn't do anything immoral or illegal, so let him live is life.

If you had millions in the bank, would you keep working your job? Most of us would probably say "no," I would think. I know I wouldn't.

Cardinal Bob

Glutton for Punishment
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:

According to SI's Peter King, Ricky honestly thought he could get through and play this season before retiring, but very recently decided that he just couldn't.

Link:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/writers/peter_king/07/25/07.25.04/index.html?cnn=yes

To those busting on RW's decision and/or timing...Would it have been better for him to show up and go through the motions when his heart wasn't in it, risking injury, hurting the team with less than 100% effort, cashing his checks, just to drop the bomb and retire come January? Dolphins fans would probably say yes, but I, for one, say no.

Good for you Ricky! I sure as hell wish I could have retired at age 27!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbup:

Djaughe

Reaction score
I just can't help but wonder how many head cases has the dolphins had in what the last 6 years...underwood...boston...ricky williams...lawrence phillips...did I forget anyone? :D

Red Hog

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It is absolutely sickening how many fans identify with the owners over the workers. The owners will cut players cause they get hurt. They will cut them under any circumstances just had a baby, just bought a house - whatever. Even an injury is not protection. A player does it to them and he is somehow wrong. He did the exact same thing the owners do all the time.

Just like when many fans cry about players making millions but owners making billions is fine by them.

The ironic thing is the fans are in the same boat as the players but they identify with the owners. That is one of the root problems of the American system in general. Many fans don't get it. They are jealous of their fellow workers and expect them to work for peanuts but they have no problem with owners making millions and millions that is fine.

The other thing is Robert Smith did the same thing to the Vikes and caused a huge cap problem for the team. He did not have to retire and did so in a surprise move.

100%CardsFan

100% embarrassed
Reaction score
Red Hog said:
It is absolutely sickening how many fans identify with the owners over the workers. The owners will cut players cause they get hurt. They will cut them under any circumstances just had a baby, just bought a house - whatever. Even an injury is not protection. A player does it to them and he is somehow wrong. He did the exact same thing the owners do all the time.

Just like when many fans cry about players making millions but owners making billions is fine by them.

The ironic thing is the fans are in the same boat as the players but they identify with the owners. That is one of the root problems of the American system in general. Many fans don't get it. They are jealous of their fellow workers and expect them to work for peanuts but they have no problem with owners making millions and millions that is fine.

The other thing is Robert Smith did the same thing to the Vikes and caused a huge cap problem for the team. He did not have to retire and did so in a surprise move.

Hi Mary!!

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Red Hog said:

Really? Smith was a FA and the Vikings had no cap hit at all when he retired because he had no contract. Plus Smith retired weeks after the season ended not days before camp opened.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pariah said:
he doesn't OWE anything to the...Dolphins

Actually, it's being reported that he must pay back millions in bonuses, etc to the Dolphins. Just like Barry Sanders had to do to the Lions when he quit early.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brian in Mesa said:
Actually, it's being reported that he must pay back millions in bonuses, etc to the Dolphins. Just like Barry Sanders had to do to the Lions when he quit early.
I didn't mean literally. All I meant was he doesn't need to justify his retirement.

Djaughe

Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Really? Smith was a FA and the Vikings had no cap hit at all when he retired because he had no contract. Plus Smith retired weeks after the season ended not days before camp opened.
just to add to yer post: Smith also finished up his third knee operation and was obviously concerned about his future after the NFL.

Lex

troublemaker
Reaction score
Sorry to drag up this old thread, but I was looking for the article by Dan Le Batard, post #11 in this thread.

Now this from the Miami Herald 8/8/04:

Source: Huizenga wants Ricky to pay back money

"Wayne is incredibly [angry] about what Ricky did. He has his lawyers getting together, and he's going after all the money the team paid Ricky. He wants to make sure this never happens again." (Williams earned approximately 5.3 million from the Dolphins)

Williams took a cavalier attitude:

Williams said he will file for bankruptcy, and let the team come after him in court. He said "an NFL team coming after a man with three children might be embarrassing to the team."

Ricky, Ricky, I guess you DO owe the Dolphins something.

This whole retirement story has been a bunch of BS from the get go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05