Breaking news: Ricky Williams retired

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
bratwurst said:
Sounds to me like dude will be broke in 5 years.

Doubt it

I think he never liked playing football. But he knew he could make a lot of money doing so.

He has made his money, and doesn't want to play anymore, doesn't want to be in the spotlight, and wants to puff when he wants to puff.

I see no problem in that. It is up to him. Plus I feel he has made so much money by now it would be impossible for him to spend it all.

Plus if he doesn't want to play in the NFL that is fine, since there are millions waiting for there chance who love the game

Best of luck to Ricky he was a great player.

Peace

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
It would have been good say Ricky told his club that he is retiring say two months ago so the Fins could have found replacement for him. Goodluck Ricky and go Cards!!!

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
CaliforniaCard said:
I like Prisco's take better. Ricky Williams is a coward. He didn't retire, he quit.

Free as a bird: Williams quits on his team for road less traveled
July 25, 2004
By Pete Prisco
SportsLine.com Senior Writer
Tell Pete your opinion!

They will applaud him and praise the fact that he walked away from the NFL on his terms, supposedly setting himself free from the shackles of fame -- and, let's not forget, fortune.

They will say Ricky Williams understands what life is all about, that football is just a game and not something all that important in a world where soldiers are being blown up on a regular basis in Iraq and starvation is ravaging countries throughout the world.

People will praise Ricky Williams' decision to leave the NFL, but does he deserve it?(Getty Images)
But some 24-year-old running back, just hoping for a chance to play in the NFL for one week, will pop on his TV Sunday morning and wake up to the news that Williams, a running back from the Miami Dolphins, is retiring and just get a sick feeling in his stomach.

How could he?

That player would do anything for one carry, and yet Williams is walking away a starting job and millions to be, in his words, free.

Williams notified the Dolphins that he is retiring from the NFL Friday, according to the Miami Herald. That newspaper would know since their lead columnist, the respected and well-read Dan Le Batard, is one of the few allowed in Williams' inner circle and the guy who reported the story Saturday.

Getting into that inner circle is said to be like breaking into the White House at midnight, but it also begs this question: Why would you want in?

If you looked up different in the NFL dictionary, Williams' picture would be next to the word. He is an enigma, a hard-running back who talked in a whisper and somehow seemed as if he was curling up in a fetal position every time someone stepped near his locker or asked to speak with him -- even after his much-publicized bout with a social disorder and the medical treatment he received for it.

What many NFL linebackers could not do, bring him to his knees, the sight of a camera or a writer invading his space often did.

Weirdo is a term some of his ex-teammates and coaches used when his name was brought up -- and that will be even more so now.

In telling the Herald why he is retiring, Williams said, "The people in Jamaica, living in these little tin shacks, they were the happiest people I've ever seen. This is an opportunity to be a real role model. Everyone wants freedom. Human beings aren't supposed to be controlled and told what to do. They're supposed to be given direction and a path. Don't tell me what I can and can't do."

Two things about that quote: Any Jamaican living in a shack who wouldn't trade places with Williams in an instant has been imbibing in too much of Bob Marley's favorite leaf. The second thing is that we're all told what we can and can't do. It's called laws and bosses and wives and parents.

The NFL said Williams couldn't smoke marijuana, so he reportedly did what he had to do to pass the tests -- drinking a masking agent, according to the Herald -- but he failed a test in 2002 and was facing a fine pending an appeal of a failed test late last season.

Now he is free to roll as many fat spliffs as he wants, provided the law doesn't find him. It is illegal, big guy. One more thing, Ricky: It takes green to buy the green, and leaving millions of salary behind isn't exactly a way to get the good stuff.

Williams told the Herald the only people who he has to be accountable to are his three kids. I bet they'll love it years from now when their friends tell them how their daddy walked away from NFL millions to smoke weed and hang out in tin shacks.

Lunacy.

But you can bet Williams will be praised in certain circles for standing up for his beliefs, not catering to the wants of others.

Free, baby.

Jim Brown, Barry Sanders and Robert Smith are all former NFL running backs who walked away from the game with plenty left to give. All three could be considered eccentric to some degree. Williams is friendly with Brown and he also was said to have had a recent conversation with Smith.

Oh, to be a fly on the wall to hear that one, two we're-smarter-than-the-rest-of-you-and-don't-need-this-mindless-game men trying to understand how so many other players put their lives into playing football.

Williams is also selfish. Making this kind of decision a week before the Dolphins were to open training camp makes anything Terrell Owens did seem trivial. This is a quitter, a guy who bailed on his teammates as they were readying to make a Super Bowl push. That's the ultimate insult.

Indications are that Dolphins coach Dave Wannstedt is furious. Wouldn't you be? His job is on the line and suddenly his star running back decides he'd rather sit in a circle with his legs crossed listening to poetry and clicking his fingers at every line he likes?

The Dolphins tailored their offense to Williams and now he runs over them as if they were a seven-year old trying to tackle his big butt. Miami's best option is to play Travis Minor, a fourth-year player from Florida State, who is little more than a third-down back.

Heck, if Williams had made his decision a couple of days earlier the Dolphins could have made a run at Eddie George. But he couldn't even do that for them to maybe make it a little easier.

Williams had three years left on his contract, with base salaries of $3.75 million in 2004, $3.74 million in 2005 and $3.5 million in 2006. The contract also included incentives that could have added more money, so Williams is walking away from $10 to $12 million.

But look at the bright side: At least now he's free. No more being told what plays to run. No more being forced to deal with the media and the spotlight and the constant adulation from fans. Wouldn't you walk away from $10 million and never having to make a reservation for a restaurant table in South Beach, with a bevy of models eyeing your every move to be free of a game that gave you the chance to be free?

As one of Williams' former coaches said recently, "He's as weird as they come."

Ricky W means Ricky Weirdo.

But at least he's free.

Free to see the world.

Free to do what he wants.

Free to put this mindless game away for good.

You can bet there's a young running back somewhere shaking his head wondering how Williams could give this all away and he can't even get a chance. Wasting God's gifts is a sad thing, but it's even more troubling to those who didn't quite get the full compliment, say a runner who might be a half a step slow or a tad too small.

Williams had it all, and now he's throwing it all away.

Is that really something that should be applauded?

CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP

1st: He has done his time. He played 5 years and made enough money to retire on. So why not retire if he does not like the game? If you worked someplace that paid millions a year and you HATED being there wouldn't you leave once you were finacially secure.

2nd: So the guy is a hippie. SO WHAT?!?! He want to sit around all day doing whatever he wants when he wants. Good for him he is now more free than any of us will ever be. The NFL is just not where this man wants to be. He is a private person who wanted his private life separate from his home life. He didn't want to be piss tested, interviewed, and questioned all the time. All stuff that if you play in the NFL you do receive. Furthermore on a personal note I agree that unless your behavior effects your work then your professional life should never EVER question what you do with your free time.

3rd:"The second thing is that we're all told what we can and can't do. It's called laws and bosses and wives and parents." - Quoted from above. So your telling me that you would not want to find a way that you didn't have to deal with all those things. I can understand you gotta listened and comprimise with your wife. But laws, bosses, and parents are usually full of bullpoop and it must be nice not to have to deal with them anymore.

Williams is a free spirit. Don't judge him cause he wants to smoke pot all day, and do whatever he wants to with his life. I see his vision myself, and it seems like paradise. Would I do what he is doing ? No, but I love football and he doesn't.

The man was blessed with the body for football, but not the heart for it. He worked his butt off for 10 years, made his money, and now he is going to do exactly what he wants to do with his life.

You can have an opinion on it but DO NOT judge a man for what he wants, and his beliefs.

ANd to all those football players saying he has wasted his abilities, well there is a oppourtunity to be a starting RB on Dolphins. Stop crying and go work out for the team.

Respect others beliefs and wants. And don't push yours on other people unless you want to get "pushed back"

Peace
:thumbup:

BTW - This was NOT an attack on CaliforniaCard, and furthmore GREAT post. I love seeing 2 sides of the story.

AzCards06

Rookie
Reaction score
Yikes. Miami just took a sucker punch.

The timing seems premeditated. Ricky stayed in the league just long enough to qualify for the pension. Now, if he's serious about what happiness is, he would decline his pension.

The problem here is, he bolted on three years of a CONTRACT that HE AGREED to.

Very weak IMO.

And to top it off, he does it a week before camp.

Very very weak.

The comparisons to other atheletes that quit in their prime are baseless. Jim Brown, Robert Smith, and even Pat Tillman, COMPLETED their contractual obligations first. That's because they have integrity, Ricky doesn't. He's a smart guy that screwed the Dolphins. Period.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
RugbyMuffin said:
Doubt it

I think he never liked playing football. But he knew he could make a lot of money doing so.

He has made his money, and doesn't want to play anymore, doesn't want to be in the spotlight, and wants to puff when he wants to puff.

I see no problem in that. It is up to him. Plus I feel he has made so much money by now it would be impossible for him to spend it all.

Plus if he doesn't want to play in the NFL that is fine, since there are millions waiting for there chance who love the game

Best of luck to Ricky he was a great player.

Peace

Ya... he could never spend that kind of money fool...what you thinking bout?

Love, Mike Tyson

I bet if it wasn't for the NFL pension.. 80% of these guys would be dead broke by the time they are 50.

You guys patting him on the back for the decision.... :confused: :shrug:

It would have been swell and all, had he pick a little less SELFISH time to do it. If I was a teamate of this A-hole I would be PISSED !!

jmt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You guys dissing Ricky becasue of the timing of his decision are hilarious. He did his job well - two geat seasons for the Dolphins. He owes them nothing else. When a player is no longer needed they are GONE! How quaint to suggest Ricky owes the 'Fins anything. Get real.

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
Typical unprofessional behavior from somebody who does whatever he wants.

Do you think Brett Favre would quit 2 weeks before training camp? I'm no Dolphins fan, but I've always thought of Ricky as a bit of a bust given all the picks the Saints wasted on him. He should have at least "planned" out his decision a little better for the sake of his team.

Good thing I don't have to see his lame dreds on Sunday.

RedRob

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Get real? I think people are pointing to the fact that this A hole could have made this decision a couple weeks ago, that's all! Give me a break. Sure, he doesn't owe anybody anything, but to quit right before camp starts is certainly selfish to say the least. Maybe he just made this decision. Yet, you'd have to believe he's been considering this for the past few months. Let your TEAM know; how hard is that?

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I give Ricky Williams his props. That was probably a very hard decision for him. I'm glad it makes the Dolphins game easier as well.If he doesn't want to play, then he shouldn't have to play.

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Is it not illegal, nor immora,l to walk away from the game of football. Whatever makes him happy. If he wants to walk away, who, aside from dolphin fans, really cares?

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ajcardfan said:
There will probably be a lot of pontificating about what Williams did as to whether it was good or bad, right or wrong. I'm just happy that our odds of winning in Miami improved.

Amen to that! :D

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
red desert said:
If he wants to walk away, who, aside from dolphin fans, really cares?

The Dolphins organization to which he was under contract to play for might.

Personally, the guy's been an overrated headcase from day 1.

Good riddance. :wave:

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Brian in Mesa said:
The Dolphins organization to which he was under contract to play for might.

Personally, the guy's been an overrated headcase from day 1.

Good riddance. :wave:

Yes, the Dolphins organization I'm sure will have much to say on the subject in the coming weeks.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
red desert said:
Yes, the Dolphins organization I'm sure will have much to say on the subject in the coming weeks.

It doesnt matter what they say. Its not their decision.

CaliCards

Registered
Reaction score
Loyalty in the NFL?

NFL owners and exec tend to cut good players on short notice, which they attribute to business, so Ricky's decision deserves similar consideration--a personal/business decision. :shrug:

OP
OP
Alan

Alan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The real question is...

Was DB around Ricky long enough to learn about that masking liquid?

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
AzCards06 said:
Yikes. Miami just took a sucker punch.

The timing seems premeditated. Ricky stayed in the league just long enough to qualify for the pension. Now, if he's serious about what happiness is, he would decline his pension.

The problem here is, he bolted on three years of a CONTRACT that HE AGREED to.

Very weak IMO.

And to top it off, he does it a week before camp.

Very very weak.

The comparisons to other atheletes that quit in their prime are baseless. Jim Brown, Robert Smith, and even Pat Tillman, COMPLETED their contractual obligations first. That's because they have integrity, Ricky doesn't. He's a smart guy that screwed the Dolphins. Period.

I seem to be back peddling after my first rant.

He did #bleep# over a lot of people.

:confused:

Homer Simpson

All Star
Reaction score
Couple of points:

1) Ricky's decision is very selfish if he didn't at least warn the team a few months in advance.

However,

Prisco's article, IMO, displays the two things that, IMO, are wrong with our society: the belief that more money = better life and that some reporters are really stupid, mindless people, but get a wide audience to spread their idiocy.

Ricky Williams did not like playing football. Who cares if it is supposed to be the American Dream? It's not his dream. It didn't make him happy -- which, if I'm not mistaken -- is the true American dream. The pursuit of happiness.

He'll be broke in five years? The man has a college degree! Plus, he's famous and interesting, he can get another job sometime.

chickenhead

Reaction score
I repsect his or anyone's career decisions, but I think he did it in poor fashion. If I were going to quit, I would plan it out to avoid leaving colleagues in the lurch. However, he does have diagnosed anxiety issues, so maybe I have a luxury he doesn't have in terms of calm forethought. The Dolphins should have been prepared for an unpredictable situation if they did their scouting. Of course, it's pretty hard to keep another all-pro running back on hand...

RedRob

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
CaliCards said:
NFL owners and exec tend to cut good players on short notice, which they attribute to business, so Ricky's decision deserves similar consideration--a personal/business decision. :shrug:

True, but you'd have to consider your colleagues. I'd imagine there's more than a teammate or two who would have helped him on a personal level had he asked. Let's face it, the fact that he retired in this fashion hurts their TEAM. And, as a result, fellow teammates.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SECTION 11 said:
Interesting...

:D
I seem to remember doing a crabwalk drill, but I never took it that seriously. Maybe I should have and I could be the one retireing early...

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
chickenhead said:
I repsect his or anyone's career decisions, but I think he did it in poor fashion. If I were going to quit, I would plan it out to avoid leaving colleagues in the lurch. However, he does have diagnosed anxiety issues, so maybe I have a luxury he doesn't have in terms of calm forethought. The Dolphins should have been prepared for an unpredictable situation if they did their scouting. Of course, it's pretty hard to keep another all-pro running back on hand...

I also respect his decision, but tell me that Miami wouldn't have drafted S. Jacson in the draft if they knew Ricky was leaving...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05