Brian Flores

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
So over 5 years he was coach of the safety and LB? And 30th is our number for both? Good god
Their LB's were busted up this year. Past few years they have consistently been a top 10 team vs the run.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if this is the Cardinals 2nd declined 2nd interview, if they invite him. I think Flores' loyalty to the Patriots is such that it could take precedence.

I also think that BB does not have a favorable opinion of the Cardinals as an organization, and would steer his coaches away from AZ. Matt Patricia agreed to an interview, but it was a formality at best. Oddly, the Cardinals never even requested an interview with Josh McDaniels.

BB's disdain for the Cardinals may have something to do with Terry McDonough. I think BB was not a big fan of Boston Globe writer/NBC Insider Will McDonough, Terry's dad. Will McDonough had a lot of pull in NE and he was about as opinionated as they came. Came down hard on the Pats for years.
I think our lack of having a QB on the roster for next year is what causes a lack of favorable opinion. It is the single biggest detriment to our coaching search.

Hypothesis

Draft Junkie
Reaction score
If you can get one of the leaders of the league's 30th-ranked pass defense (and 23rd in turnovers) into your building, you have to seize that opportunity.
I think this is more indicative of Patricia than Flores. Despite the depleted LB corps, Flores had his group ready to play.

One thing I didn't see Mitch post about Flores, is that Flores was given the responsibility of doing the game planning and play calling for red zone defense. The Pats red zone defense was ranked 5th in the league if I remember off the top of my head.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
I think this is more indicative of Patricia than Flores. Despite the depleted LB corps, Flores had his group ready to play.

One thing I didn't see Mitch post about Flores, is that Flores was given the responsibility of doing the game planning and play calling for red zone defense. The Pats red zone defense was ranked 5th in the league if I remember off the top of my head.

I had mentioned his red zone play calling in other threads. And you are 100% correct, Flores is very much involved in the game planning.

Hypothesis

Draft Junkie
Reaction score
I had mentioned his red zone play calling in other threads. And you are 100% correct, Flores is very much involved in the game planning.
I must have missed it in the other threads, sorry.

I'm actually a fan of Flores and am pulling for him to get the job. He's very well respected by his peers and by his players. Despite only working for the Pats, he seems to be well liked by others around the league too. I do have my worries as I would with any new HC, but he has experience at just about every level from scouting, player personnel and coaching offense and defense. I just wonder what kind of staff he would assemble and if he has enough incentive to leave NE.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I must have missed it in the other threads, sorry.

I'm actually a fan of Flores and am pulling for him to get the job. He's very well respected by his peers and by his players. Despite only working for the Pats, he seems to be well liked by others around the league too. I do have my worries as I would with any new HC, but he has experience at just about every level from scouting, player personnel and coaching offense and defense. I just wonder what kind of staff he would assemble and if he has enough incentive to leave NE.

If he is interviewing for our head coaching job, he has already revealed he has incentive :)

Hypothesis

Draft Junkie
Reaction score
If he is interviewing for our head coaching job, he has already revealed he has incentive :)
I'm hoping so, but he could also very well decide that staying in NE as the DC, assuming Patricia does indeed take the Lions job, is a better option for him.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just curious, is his name pronounced Americanized like Raiders coach Tom Flores (Floor-eeez) or like the Spanish pronunciation (Flór S)?

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
This hire would excite me from the standpoint of infecting youth, the element of the unknown and bringing a championship pedigree to the franchise.

I think you are spot on, Cheese! At least to me, anyway. I mean, we kind of know what the organization would get if they promoted Bettcher, but with guys like Brian Flores, John DeFilippo or Steve Wilks it would at least be exciting and fun. I understand that my thinking is in part because I am trying to convince myself to be fascinated with who they are interviewing, and thus who will likely be the next head coach, but I do honestly think that any of those three people would at least make the future of the organization interesting.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I think you are spot on, Cheese! At least to me, anyway. I mean, we kind of know what the organization would get if they promoted Bettcher, but with guys like Brian Flores, John DeFilippo or Steve Wilks it would at least be exciting and fun. I understand that my thinking is in part because I am trying to convince myself to be fascinated with who they are interviewing, and thus who will likely be the next head coach, but I do honestly think that any of those three people would at least make the future of the organization interesting.
It's either going to be really good, with one of these youngins, or it's going to go off the rails in a hurry. There won't be a mediocre result.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you can get one of the leaders of the league's 30th-ranked pass defense (and 23rd in turnovers) into your building, you have to seize that opportunity.
Sarcasm alert?:lol:

OP theorized Flores has a versatile career. I don't see it as anything but typical of a grad assistant leaning curve. That is not a glowing resume when it is filled with "assistant to the assistant".

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The big issue that I find IO have is that I don't believe there has ever been a successful NFL coach who was never a coordinator at some level. I have looked, and I can't find one.