Brian Flores

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If Flores refuses to accept Cardinals HC position, Cardinals technically can trade for him?

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
I do like that Flores has been with Belicheck all these years. He has learned from the best on how to be a head coach. I would not mind him being hired. I would then want to see some good coordinators hired. I like the idea of Pagano on defense and DeFillipo as OC.

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
If Flores refuses to accept Cardinals HC position, Cardinals technically can trade for him?
Now that would be a Cardinal move! 1st rounder to BB for his glorified LB coach!

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
A good point to remember is that Flores has had a lot of guys ahead of him. Patricia, McDaniels (possibly about to be twice a HC after being a OC twice w/Patriots), O'Brien, Mangini, Crennel, Weis. All of these guys were in NE when Flores was there (of course some only for a year).

They had guys lined up behind them. Many of who then went on to be HC's themselves or about to. Yeah many/all so far failed as head coach, but they were still there in front of him. There were still quality coaches at their respective positions and highly regarded enough to get a head coaching opportunity.

So even if he's been there 13 years, he started from scratch and worked his way up. He's only been a position coach since 2012.

Also didn't it take Keim about 13-14 years to go from scout to GM?

It can take time to move up from the bottom, especially if it's with the Patriots and you're blocked by a slew of eventual head coaches, and/or coordinators on other teams like Jeff Davidson and George Godsey.

He also has a masters degree in Administration and was on his conference's academic team while at Boston College.

Then you got lifers at some positions who have been there forever. Their OL coach, other then four years, has been some sort of coach since 1982!

Ivan Fears has been a coach there since 1999, and their RB coach since 2002 (WR coach 99-01).

He worked with Scott Pioli and Thomas Dimitroff in the front office/scout. Guys who later were plucked by another team to be GM's. Dimitroff is still the GM for the Falcons.

I also see that one year, last year (2016), there were TWO safeties coaches, one was Flores, the other was Belichick's son, Steve. If anything Bill had Brian oversee his transition from coaching assistant to position coach for one year, then had Steve take over for Brian as Brian Flores moved up to LB coach.

There's lots of guys on that staff he could of teamed him with, but he teamed with Flores. Belichick probably wanted his son teaming up with his best young coach. Guess, yes, but it makes sense.

He also worked with Scott Pioli and Thomas Dimitroff guys who later were plucked by another team to be GM's.

Overall we should realize that it's not easy to move up the ladder on a Belichick staff. About the only way you move up is with someone being hired as a head coach or maybe a coordinator from above you.

Now this doesn't mean he's the second coming, or that he'd succeed here. It does mean that as a 36 year old, he's done a good job of moving up in that organization, has succeeded at many different levels/positions for them, and kept getting rewarded with moving up in a crowded coaching staff, and tutored Bill's son to be a positional coach.

Flores might even fit the type as 'leader of men' above all that came before him.

Here's actually a youtube clip of one of his leadership speeches via the web to some middle school students.

The Power of Leadership: Live Chat with Brian Flores

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Another good article about Flores

http://bceagles.com/news/2015/2/10/Alumni_Spotlight_BC_Grad_Brian_Flores_Earns_Super_NFL_Career.aspx

The more you look, the more he does look like a potential superstar head coaching candidate for 2019-2020 that we're looking at for 2018. I would not be down if he's our guy. There's question marks obviously, but he has lots of experience in many facets of the game on the most successful organization in the NFL.

Personally I like that we are looking into some of these up and comers like Flores, DeFilippo, Wilks (and if rumors are true McVay last year) and elevating them to interviews alongside the retreads. Not the same ol Cards.

We're obviously paying attention to these lower level guys. Are these other teams doing this?

No one else has looked into Flores, at least it hasn't been publicly reported. Maybe the Cards ARE being more thorough, and have been watching the entire league better then some of these other teams.

At some point if we truly are an organization that starts leading and setting trends rather then following them, then a hire from one of the youngsters could signal that we feel secure in the organization to attempt a young hire because he might be the best one out there.

There are still some good HC candidates out there and this guy could be the best one. Or maybe DeFilippo is. Or Wilks. We don't know.

We also should be reminded that the Cardinals said this was the finest group of coaches they've interviewed. Yes it could be spin put out by them. But at the same time, there were 3 up and comers, plus a couple of the hottest names in Patricia and Shurmur who visited us. All these guys could flame out, or all could be coaching in the NFL for a long time.

There is no set thing where every year only one coach can succeed so you better get him fast. It could be the first coach hired, could be the last coach, all, NONE of them, or any in between.

MB said they were going to be patient, and we are being patient. Unfortunately for us fans it can be frustrating. But we're going through our process and will select the best one we can that fits us. Even if others are hired, it does NOT mean we missed out on the best coach, or the best coach for us.

But with Flores, it is a pretty good story of a guy who sent letters to each team, only to have one interview him. A guy who was humbled to have a master's degree and yet was getting coffee for higher ups. A big picture guy who will bleed for the team as he meticulously prepares. He moved up because he was smart, loyal, humble, hard working, and meticulous among likely other qualities. All qualities that would serve a good head coach well.

Heck, here's him noticing the Seahawks personnel, and getting Butler in the game for that INT that rocked the Seahawks world.

Last edited:

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think our lack of having a QB on the roster for next year is what causes a lack of favorable opinion. It is the single biggest detriment to our coaching search.
This can work in 2 opposite ways:

1. No QB = Weakness at a Key Position

2. No QB = Freedom to Pick & Groom Your Own Signal Caller

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Reid was a coordinator at SFSU.

According to his Bio, Reid was offensive line coach at SFSU.
As coach:

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
A good point to remember is that Flores has had a lot of guys ahead of him. Patricia, McDaniels (possibly about to be twice a HC after being a OC twice w/Patriots), O'Brien, Mangini, Crennel, Weis. All of these guys were in NE when Flores was there (of course some only for a year).

They had guys lined up behind them. Many of who then went on to be HC's themselves or about to. Yeah many/all so far failed as head coach, but they were still there in front of him. There were still quality coaches at their respective positions and highly regarded enough to get a head coaching opportunity.

So even if he's been there 13 years, he started from scratch and worked his way up. He's only been a position coach since 2012.

It can take time to move up from the bottom, especially if it's with the Patriots and you're blocked by a slew of eventual head coaches, and/or coordinators on other teams like Jeff Davidson and George Godsey.

He also has a masters degree in Administration and was on his conference's academic team while at Boston College.

Then you got lifers at some positions who have been there forever. Their OL coach, other then four years, has been some sort of coach since 1982!

Ivan Fears has been a coach there since 1999, and their RB coach since 2002 (WR coach 99-01).

He worked with Scott Pioli and Thomas Dimitroff in the front office/scout. Guys who later were plucked by another team to be GM's. Dimitroff is still the GM for the Falcons.

I also see that one year, last year (2016), there were TWO safeties coaches, one was Flores, the other was Belichick's son, Steve. If anything Bill had Brian oversee his transition from coaching assistant to position coach for one year, then had Steve take over for Brian as Brian Flores moved up to LB coach.

There's lots of guys on that staff he could of teamed him with, but he teamed with Flores. Belichick probably wanted his son teaming up with his best young coach. Guess, yes, but it makes sense.

He also worked with Scott Pioli and Thomas Dimitroff guys who later were plucked by another team to be GM's.

Overall we should realize that it's not easy to move up the ladder on a Belichick staff. About the only way you move up is with someone being hired as a head coach or maybe a coordinator from above you.

Now this doesn't mean he's the second coming, or that he'd succeed here. It does mean that as a 36 year old, he's done a good job of moving up in that organization, has succeeded at many different levels/positions for them, and kept getting rewarded with moving up in a crowded coaching staff, and tutored Bill's son to be a positional coach.

Flores might even fit the type as 'leader of men' above all that came before him.

Here's actually a youtube clip of one of his leadership speeches via the web to some middle school students.

http://bceagles.com/news/2015/2/10/Alumni_Spotlight_BC_Grad_Brian_Flores_Earns_Super_NFL_Career.aspx

The more you look, the more he does look like a potential superstar head coaching candidate for 2019-2020 that we're looking at for 2018. I would not be down if he's our guy. There's question marks obviously, but he has lots of experience in many facets of the game on the most successful organization in the NFL.

Personally I like that we are looking into some of these up and comers like Flores, DeFilippo, Wilks (and if rumors are true McVay last year) and elevating them to interviews alongside the retreads. Not the same ol Cards.

We're obviously paying attention to these lower level guys. Are these other teams doing this?

No one else has looked into Flores, at least it hasn't been publicly reported. Maybe the Cards ARE being more thorough, and have been watching the entire league better then some of these other teams.

At some point if we truly are an organization that starts leading and setting trends rather then following them, then a hire from one of the youngsters could signal that we feel secure in the organization to attempt a young hire because he might be the best one out there.

There are still some good HC candidates out there and this guy could be the best one. Or maybe DeFilippo is. Or Wilks. We don't know.

We also should be reminded that the Cardinals said this was the finest group of coaches they've interviewed. Yes it could be spin put out by them. But at the same time, there were 3 up and comers, plus a couple of the hottest names in Patricia and Shurmur who visited us. All these guys could flame out, or all could be coaching in the NFL for a long time.

There is no set thing where every year only one coach can succeed so you better get him fast. It could be the first coach hired, could be the last coach, all, NONE of them, or any in between.

MB said they were going to be patient, and we are being patient. Unfortunately for us fans it can be frustrating. But we're going through our process and will select the best one we can that fits us. Even if others are hired, it does NOT mean we missed out on the best coach, or the best coach for us.

But with Flores, it is a pretty good story of a guy who sent letters to each team, only to have one interview him. A guy who was humbled to have a master's degree and yet was getting coffee for higher ups. A big picture guy who will bleed for the team as he meticulously prepares. He moved up because he was smart, loyal, humble, hard working, and meticulous among likely other qualities. All qualities that would serve a good head coach well.

Heck, here's him noticing the Seahawks personnel, and getting Butler in the game for that INT that rocked the Seahawks world.

Kudos, CF88. Fantastic post. Great read. Thank you!

Veer

All Star
Reaction score

It's not really going both ways. Most important thing for a HC is winning. If you lose, you may not get a 2nd season.Well, most likely you will with an owner like Mike Bidwill. But imagine we miss out on a good QB prospect in the draft and we get a veteran bridge QB who doesn't play well. Team could quit on the HC easily. That's why the Giants job with at least aging Eli in place and obviously the high draft pick is so much more attractive. If you draft a QB 2nd overall, which they most likely will, you got 1 year with Eli and at least another 2 years with a talented rookie QB. That's as safe as it gets as a NFL HC.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

If we had better than the 15th pick in the draft, I would agree. If we had a 100 mil in cap space, I think it is less of an issue.

Instead, a new head coach will have to either trade multiple future draft picks to try and get the 3rd or 4th best QB in the draft, thus limiting their future resources and still pay 5 to 10 mil for a backup QB...OR...spend 30 mil on a starter and backup in FA, thus limiting the ability to improve other areas of the team.

Neither option causes you to jump out of your chair and scream "sign me up".

The more important point is that just because we aren't attractive to the TOP candidates, doesn't mean we are incapable of getting a good candidate. We just have to look a bit harder than the top of the pile to find the right guy.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Looks like the Cardinals want 2nd interviews with Flip and Flo. Eagles' QB coach and former Browns OC John DeFilippo and Patriots' LB coach (and red zone defensive play caller) Brian Flores.

That's right: Flip and Flo.

As a fellow Boston College grad, I was a big fan of Brian Flores when he played for the Eagles. He was the smallish speedy all-purpose OLB back then that is now in vogue in the NFL. My fondest memory of Flo were his five tackles and sticky pass coverage in 2002 versus Notre Dame in South Bend, which helped to spark a stunning 14-7 upset of the Irish, the #1 ranked team in the USA (8-0).

What so appealing about Brian Flores as a potential head coach is his extraordinary versatility. Steve Keim will love the fact that Flores started out in the scouting department, and then worked his way to a number of positions which include work in all three phases: offense, defense and STs:

When Flores was coaching the safeties he briefly worked with Adrian Wilson. Wilson, a pro scout now himself, has raved to Michael Bidwill and Steve Keim about Brian Flores' coaching ability. The Patriots current safeties Devin McCourty, Eugene Chung and Duron Harmon say that Flores taught them a new way to study QBs and an innovative way to break down film. Harmon credits Flores for helping become the player he is today.

Just this week, several Patriots' defensive players including co-captains McCourty and Harmon have lauded Flores for being such a calming presence.

Flores says that he has never been a rah-rah loud guy---and thus was not a captain of his high school team in Brooklyn, NY, nor at Boston College---and that he always figured that the loud goal guys were the natural born leaders.

That is---until Flores met Bill Belichick. Flores says that Belichick told him something he will never forget. He told him, "leadership is working hard and putting the team first. If you do that---you work hard and you put the team first---you are a leader."

And that's precisely what Flores has done throughout his 14 years with the New England Patriots. He has worked his tail off and has always put the team first.

As a Cardinals' fan, I often try to look for some sort of a sign when I am hoping for a new head coach or QB or LB. Well, with Flores, I have found two signs that maybe, just maybe he is meant to be HC for the Cardinals. Number one, his college number at BC was #36. Well, our #36, Budda Baker, made 1st Team All Pro and the Pro Bowl in his rookie season.

But...best of all...on February 1, 2015 at U of P Stadium in our home stadium...in the final seconds of the 50th Super Bowl...one of the most historic goal line substitutions of all time was made...go ahead and watch to for yourself:

And here's an article from the week before last year's Super Bowl (great read):

https://www.patspulpit.com/2017/2/4...s-is-preparing-to-be-an-incredible-head-coach
Maybe we should hire Ernie Adams, who might be the real genius in this :mrgreen:

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if this is the Cardinals 2nd declined 2nd interview, if they invite him. I think Flores' loyalty to the Patriots is such that it could take precedence.

I also think that BB does not have a favorable opinion of the Cardinals as an organization, and would steer his coaches away from AZ. Matt Patricia agreed to an interview, but it was a formality at best. Oddly, the Cardinals never even requested an interview with Josh McDaniels.

BB's disdain for the Cardinals may have something to do with Terry McDonough. I think BB was not a big fan of Boston Globe writer/NBC Insider Will McDonough, Terry's dad. Will McDonough had a lot of pull in NE and he was about as opinionated as they came. Came down hard on the Pats for years.
Interesting...I was never aware that Will didn’t get along with BB. :shock:

It appears the Pats are about to lose Patricia, who’s to say he doesn’t make Flores his DC unless the Pats block the move? I can see that happening if he’s a star in the making.

BB will retool & continue winning as long as Brady is around no doubt. I can tell you without a doubt & this may shock some here, but I wouldn’t be surprised within the next 2 years that former ASU HC Todd Graham is on his staff! The 2 have a solid relationship, TG looks up to him & he wants to be in the NFL at some point.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Interesting...I was never aware that Will didn’t get along with BB. :shock:

It appears the Pats are about to lose Patricia, who’s to say he doesn’t make Flores his DC unless the Pats block the move? I can see that happening if he’s a star in the making.

BB will retool & continue winning as long as Brady is around no doubt. I can tell you without a doubt & this may shock some here, but I wouldn’t be surprised within the next 2 years that former ASU HC Todd Graham is on his staff! The 2 have a solid relationship, TG looks up to him & he wants to be in the NFL at some point.

If BB loses both Patricia and Flores---look for him to hire Greg Schiano as his DC. BB is a big fan of Schiano.

Capital Card

The Kobayashi of Kool-Aid
Reaction score
Flores for DC, I'm all for. HC, not so much. Not enough experience directing and coaching coaches. Too big of a jump at this point in his career.

I think he (and Flores) have probably earned the right for a promotion to DC, but neither are ready to run the entire show, IMO.

Flip is a bit young for my preference, but at least he has some experience as OC.

Based on the original list of known candidates, that only leaves Armstrong, Wilks, and Betcher.

Of that list, I'd probably prefer:

1. Bettcher - Keeps current culture intact (which frankly, I like). No need to rebuild the Defense, brings VERY experienced coordinators with him in McCoy & Pagano.
2. Wilkes - Only candidate with some HC experience. No idea who he would bring in as coordinators
3. Armstrong - What he lacks in Head Coaching and Coordinator experience, he makes up for in longevity. Plus, I think he can remove any remaining stench that Amos may have left behind. Still, a distant 3rd choice for me.

While the anti - Bettcher crowd here would go bezerk, I actually think he is the best remaining candidate to us. (Shurmer was my preference)

Go Cards!!!

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
A few minutes ago, I was talking to my sister on the phone and had ESPN' s NFL Live on in the background. I vaguely heard the name Brian Flores and the Cardinals mentioned in the background. There was nothing more said, so I am assuming nothing new has happened? Anybody hear that? Have no idea who mentioned it it what it was in reference to.

Sorry, if nothing new was said.

EDIT:: Ok, nothing new there. I was able to do a rewind and find it and it was just Schefter talking about the coaching vacancies and possible replacements. Nothing new that I could tell.
Sorry.

Last edited:

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
A few minutes ago, I was talking to my sister on the phone and had ESPN' s NFL Live on in the background. I vaguely heard the name Brian Flores and the Cardinals mentioned in the background. There was nothing more said, so I am assuming nothing new has happened? Anybody hear that? Have no idea who mentioned it it what it was in reference to.

Sorry, if nothing new was said.

EDIT:: Ok, nothing new there. I was able to do a rewind and find it and it was just Schefter talking about the coaching vacancies and possible replacements. Nothing new that I could tell.
Sorry.

RUMOR MONGER!!!! How dare you???!!!

Just kidding bro :D

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Great post, Cardsfan88! Thank you.

Who do you think Flores would bring as his coordinators? I think if you hire a guy like Flores, or even DeFilippo for that matter, you must surround him with experienced coaches and coordinator. That said, I can only of the top of my head think of obvious candidates like Gary Kubiak, Mike Mularkey and Todd Haley for the offense, and maybe Jack Del Rio, Chuck Pagano or Dick Lebeau for the defense, but that is basically just me namedropping since I have no idea if those guys are even relevant.

Have you read any rumors while studying Flores?

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score

Who do you think Flores would bring as his coordinators? I think if you hire a guy like Flores, or even DeFilippo for that matter, you must surround him with experienced coaches and coordinator. That said, I can only of the top of my head think of obvious candidates like Gary Kubiak, Mike Mularkey and Todd Haley for the offense, and maybe Jack Del Rio, Chuck Pagano or Dick Lebeau for the defense, but that is basically just me namedropping since I have no idea if those guys are even relevant.

Seems the Rams did the same, hiring an older DC as Wade Phillips to balance out the youth of their coach McVay

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree so here is some food for thought

JDF-Head Coach
Dick LeBeau- DC (I have been salivating at the thought since Mularkey got fired)
OC- Haley/McCoy

I’d be pretty stoked with that.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

It's a good question about who Flores could bring. On the surface, this looks to be potentially his biggest weakness.

My guess is that since Flores has only been on the Patriots, it would be people with linkages to the Patriots. This could be anyone on the current or former staff. Guys that might have moved on and up but failed and now somewhere else back down a notch or two. Hey Billichick's son was teaming with him in 2016, maybe his son might want to spread his wings. I have no idea whether it's nepotism or if he's a chip off the old block, but as much as anyone, Flores could answer that question the best.

But it's possible. Bill has two sons coaching on the Patriots and his daughter is head coach of women's Lacrosse at Holy Cross.

Flores having worked with Scott Pioli and Tom Dimitroff in NE, it's possible someone from the Falcons could be recommended. It's interesting we're also interviewing Armstrong for our HC. Arians/Pioli/Dimitroff plus the Cards interview process would give us the info necessary to make him a possible choice for the staff. The Falcons might let him leave given the situation.

DeFilippo has made stops in a few franchises. He would likely have more contacts than Flores does.

In either case, if Flip or Flo don't have enough a staff, the Cards would need to step in and fill the gaps internally or externally. The usual list being bandied about.

It would be interesting to see a Flores/DeFilippo combination or a Wilks/DeFilippo combo, and either combo would be a promotion for both. Maybe with a Belichick on board and Armstrong in the mix for a ST spot.

One can dream of a super combo of pilfering some young and overall talented coaches from a few successful organizations and making it ours.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sparky