Bring Nash Off the Bench

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
After the rumors emerged about Calderon wanting to leave Toronto, there was some discussion about the Suns trying to do a sign and trade deal to exploit his RFA status. The most logical would be to work a deal that sent Barbosa and perhaps Tucker for Calderon assuming Jose decides he wants to go to the Suns.

The key to the deal is if Kerr and the new coach can convince Calderon that this is the place to be. Without enough cap space to make a killer offer, the Suns only shot is a sign and trade. But since Calderon can efffectively force a deal by threatening to just play out next season and then be unrestricted or return to Europe; BC is not likely to take a real hard line. However deep the conflict is between Calderon and Ford, BC's risks losing a valuable asset for nothing.

Assuming the Barbosa for Calderon deal is workable; the real issue would be if the Suns can convince Calderon that the Suns are the team for him. The main argument against that is that Calderon wants to start. My suggestion is, "let him".

My guess is that Nash would agree to come in off the bench if that is what it takes to get s serious backup for him. Chances are Nash would still play starter minutes. Calderon is roughtly the same size as Barbosa and a much better defender, so there's no reason to believe they can't be on the floor at the same time.

Last season Nash averaged 34 minutes a game and 36.6 minutes in the playoffs. The physical abuse he endured may easily have contributed to his 4-16 shooting in Game 5. But with fewer minutes and playing against backups, Nash might escape some of the abuse and be fresher at game end.

I think it is worth consideration if that's what it takes to get Calderon.

I

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No thanks. He needs to start for at least a year longer.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Terrible suggestion. Jose is not a better PG then Nash even at this stage in Nash's career. Would love to have him on this team though and eventually take over. Not now though.

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
People straight away dismissed it without even reading what he said and thinking carefully..

Nash comes off the bench, plays 28~30 minutes.

What is wrong with concept?

Ginobili, Terry etc comes off the bench. Heck, Monta Ellis comes off the bench.

At Nash's age and the concerns about him getting too exhausted by playoffs. Its a very good proposition. Nash is also mature enough and has his ego checked enough to see its benefits and most likely will agree to it.

However, the one issue is, how will it work when both are on the court at the same time. Sorry, but Calderon is still as beneficial as Barbosa on the defensive end.

I'd give it a shot, but only if Suns cannot get a more beneficial trade for Barbosa.

A backup PG is pretty high in the Suns list though, but the Suns must not give away the 15th pick with Barbosa.

Salary might not work with the previous proposition.

Nash and Hill coming off the bench would be fantastic for them come second half of the season, people forget when you reach 30+, your body degenerates a lot quicker.

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
Ginobili, Terry etc comes off the bench. Heck, Monta Ellis comes off the bench.

Are any of those guys 2 time MVPs? He's only 2 years removed from his MVP awards. I think it's kind of ridiculous, but stranger things have happened.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are any of those guys 2 time MVPs? He's only 2 years removed from his MVP awards. I think it's kind of ridiculous, but stranger things have happened.

Especially as his stats across the board are better than his MVP years. His turnovers were up this year though.

joshstmarie

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
a guy has a few extra turnovers this year and people start calling for his head already. nash could run this team 3 more years no problem.

mack2323

Reaction score
Nash may get traded this coming season because of his contract status ( Pretty much an expiring contract ) but not for Calderon. We need to get something valuable out of Nash.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nash may get traded this coming season because of his contract status ( Pretty much an expiring contract ) but not for Calderon. We need to get something valuable out of Nash.

no he won't.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Nash off the bench? That's actually pretty funny. Thanks for lightening things up George.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No thanks if we want to contend to atleast have a shot at making it deep in the playoffs we need nash to be the starter this year, but we defintally need a backup pg who can spell nash for a few games late in the season so he can get some rest before the playoffs.

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
No one gets it at all it seems..

I ask you whats the difference between a "starter" and a "6th man" who plays the same minutes?

Someone answer it... Im talking about impact on court.

If that sixth man basically starts off the bench for the first few minutes of a game, but plays the same minutes or just slightly below, also still plays during clutch time...

I beg to ask the question... what is the difference impact wise?

No one is thinking here... they see "Nash off the bench" and cry foul automatically...

Think for a second and evaluate the factors.
- Nash plays similar minutes
- Nash plays during the crunch times in the first and second halves.
- Gets to run the offense still
- Comes off the bench after the first 5-6 minutes of the first.

Again, I ask what is wrong with that tactic??

Heck, he might even win Sixth man, first player to win 2 MVPs then a sixth man.

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
No thanks if we want to contend to atleast have a shot at making it deep in the playoffs we need nash to be the starter this year, but we defintally need a backup pg who can spell nash for a few games late in the season so he can get some rest before the playoffs.

So Nash starting on the court as opposed on the bench, makes this so?

So automatically, as soon as Nash comes off the bench, the Suns arent contenders??

Proof??

Calderon >> Barbosa in running the point and getting everyone involved. So starting him then Nash comes in for Bell or Hill or even Diaw, plays with Calderon for a bit then Calderon comes off.... basically depending on who is playing and how the Suns are playing...

Does that make the Suns non-contenders already??

Again people see " Nash.. bench" and just completely loses logic and cries foul....

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So Nash starting on the court as opposed on the bench, makes this so?

So automatically, as soon as Nash comes off the bench, the Suns arent contenders??

Proof??

Calderon >> Barbosa in running the point and getting everyone involved. So starting him then Nash comes in for Bell or Hill or even Diaw, plays with Calderon for a bit then Calderon comes off.... basically depending on who is playing and how the Suns are playing...

Does that make the Suns non-contenders already??

Again people see " Nash.. bench" and just completely loses logic and cries foul....

Why don't you put Chris Paul on the bench. Pargo has proved to be adequate.

That's the logic we are seeing here, and it is mightly flawed.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Pargo isn't demanding to start.
We need a backup PG(obviously)
If Nash was willing to play similar minutes off the bench in order for the team to bring in a young,talented PG in Calderon then i understand the logic.
It comes down to ego's....not logistics.

mack2323

Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by mack2323

no he won't.

Then we better hire a real Coach. Not like an Eric Musselman type of coach just to be fired and go after Reggie Theus when available. lol.

If we get a real coach then it will show our seriousness of making another run for a title. Nash will be safe until next year ( Team Option ).

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pargo isn't demanding to start.
We need a backup PG(obviously)
If Nash was willing to play similar minutes off the bench in order for the team to bring in a young,talented PG in Calderon then i understand the logic.
It comes down to ego's....not logistics.

:bang:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Coaches gameplan for the starters. Plain and simple. What's the difference? The difference is that the starters want to get a lead before the bench comes in--the bench comes in to hold a lead--extend it if possible, but the main purpose of the bench is to hold a lead that your best players (the starters) hopefully got for you. It doesn't really work that way in reality, but that's the theory.

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
the raptors want to keep calderon and trade ford. the reports were only saying that calderon wanted to be made a starter, and ford has already said the same thing. Calderon is a much better true point guard to develop and is a much better shooter than ford, and thus the raptors will try and keep him

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
holy jesus did I actually read "what is the difference between Nash coming off the bench and starting?"
How about maximizing playing time alignment with Amare?
How about making sure a player with back issues plays at his warmest?
How about he is still the third best pt. guard in the west?

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

You serious about your comparison??????

YOU SERIOUSLY ASKED THAT???

WTH.

Chris Paul is 10 years younger than Nash.... that pretty much answers that, without me even justifying other aspects of Chris Paul's role with the Hornets, who doesnt have the scorer Stoudemire is, doesnt have the facilitator Diaw is....
How about Pargo is pretty much NOT a play maker... Your question basically suggested that Pargo = Calderon.

WTF???? seriously..

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You serious about your comparison??????

YOU SERIOUSLY ASKED THAT???

WTH.

Chris Paul is 10 years younger than Nash.... that pretty much answers that, without me even justifying other aspects of Chris Paul's role with the Hornets, who doesnt have the scorer Stoudemire is, doesnt have the facilitator Diaw is....
How about Pargo is pretty much NOT a play maker... Your question basically suggested that Pargo = Calderon.

WTF???? seriously..

Yeah seriously. It's called an analogy. :rolleyes:

Nash isn't Chris Paul but he is still a top 3 PG in this league.

What the hell are you guys smoking?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05