Bring on the Forty Whiners

cardsloco

Registered
Reaction score
Sure it can be done...Chicago does that very well. Unfortunately for you guys your defense isn't as talented. If they try to go for the strip, while thinking about how Gore has a bad hand...they will get run over or around by Frank.

If they're smart they'll wrap up and make sure he can't get extra yards.

But hey I wish they do go for the strip...that means only one arm is trying to bring him down.

Wasn't fumbling a problem for him before he broke his hand? I think he is a stud running back, but outside of unproven vernon davis, your offense has no one to fear. I would think they would lighten the load on gore, because if he goes down, so does your season.

Genus49

Reaction score
Wrong. There will always be at least two people on him at the same time; one to tackle him and one to strip the ball. That's the advantage of having a team with speed.

That's pretty high praise for a defense that hasn't done much of anything. Speed doesn't always mean talent. If you think at any given moment there will be at least 2 guys tackling Gore then you need to take the rose off your glasses.

But 1 or 2 people...if they think about forcing the fumble first they will whiff on the tackle here and there.

I'd much rather have the defensive players make sure the runner is tackled first and worry about stripping the ball as he's being brought down.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gore rushes for 100+.

Smith has as many TDs as INTs.

Cards lose 24-17.

Genus49

Reaction score
Wasn't fumbling a problem for him before he broke his hand? I think he is a stud running back, but outside of unproven vernon davis, your offense has no one to fear. I would think they would lighten the load on gore, because if he goes down, so does your season.

It was. And nobody was harder on the guy than himself. Most of his fumbles came early in the season...he did a MUCH better job holding onto the ball after his early struggles.

1usctrojan

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
i don't like leinart and never will. he's older than alex smith. he was groomed in a system similar to the NFL. i'm not suprised he did better than alex in his first year. go ahead and tell me leinart would have done as well throwing to the WR core in SF that year. not to mention the O-Line. actually, i think have a good idea of a horrible line.

alex smith isn't gay and i'm sure leinart doesn't run around chasing tumble weeds.

One of your own summed it up quite nicely:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMar
You must be registered for see images

Are you picking Lienart because he simply has superior Q.B. skill over Alex, or are you being influence by Lienart because you have seen his production having the benefits of the Cards Wr's catching his passes?

Alex may appear better if he had the Cards WR's at the end of his passes too!

I will admit that I do not watch too many Card games. But of the three or so I have seen, these are my observations:

1) He has a quicker release than Alex. This isn't a knock on Alex because Leinart actually has a very quick release compare to most starting QB's.

2) He is more mobile than people give him credit for. He isn't gonna run for 20 yards often but he will get the first down enough to frustrate a defense. He also throws pretty well on the run.

3) He goes through his progressions and manipulates safeties. Watch his head when he is in the pocket. It goes side to side as he makes his reads whereas Alex tend to just look at one guy.

4) I see him on the sidelines talking to his receivers and giving them instructions.

Those are things that are independent of the receivers. Sure, the receivers get open and will be able to fight for balls better, especially Fitz. But when the receiver is well-covered and the ball is still squeezed in there, that goes to the QB (and Alex has done that on a few occasions as well). And sadly, I have seen Leinart do this my limited viewing of his games almost as many times as I have seen it from Alex all of last season.

Would Alex look better if he had the Cards receivers? Sure he would. But he probably wouldn't look as good as Leinart did because he'd have gotten sacked with their offensive line. When making the argument for Alex, people often assume that Smith would do better with Matt's receivers but never consider that he would also inherit their porous O-Line.

Last edited:

1usctrojan

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Ahhh, a Cardinals fan lamenting the fact he has never been able to have glory days. The best they can muster is a few meaningless wins over a team with a losing record in recent years. You hang onto that, you don't have anything else. While you swoon over your 2 receivers and average QB we will be winning the division this year with a solid (but not stellar) offense and a much improved defense.

I laugh at your comments about Gore, while truthfully it is really sad to see you root for injury. I hope Edge stays healthy, that 3.2 YPC last year is bound to improve in a RB's twilight. Great signing.

:lmao: You could only dream about having one WR of the calibur of our two. If Matt is average.....then Alex Smith horrific.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's pretty high praise for a defense that hasn't done much of anything. Speed doesn't always mean talent. If you think at any given moment there will be at least 2 guys tackling Gore then you need to take the rose off your glasses.

But 1 or 2 people...if they think about forcing the fumble first they will whiff on the tackle here and there.

I'd much rather have the defensive players make sure the runner is tackled first and worry about stripping the ball as he's being brought down.

You can teach everything but speed. We have it. Gore will have to get past Watson and Dockett only to be met by Hayes and Dansby. With Wilson in your backfield all day, Smith is going to want to hand off every play.

You might have Walsh day, but this is a young, hungry Cards team with more talent than last year and they won't give up if they fall behind.

Genus49

Reaction score
You can teach everything but speed. We have it. Gore will have to get past Watson and Dockett only to be met by Hayes and Dansby. With Wilson in your backfield all day, Smith is going to want to hand off every play.

You might have Walsh day, but this is a young, hungry Cards team with more talent than last year and they won't give up if they fall behind.

That's great and all...but the cards aren't the only young and hungry team playing that night.

And yes speed is not something you can teach...but once again having speed doesn't mean someone can play football. That's why you see all these burners who don't do anything in the NFL.

I'll be honest I haven't watched any cards preseason games to see how they're looking on defense.

Needless to say both units need to improve on last season or this will be a shootout.

Genus49

Reaction score
Would Alex look better if he had the Cards receivers? Sure he would. But he probably wouldn't look as good as Leinart did because he'd have gotten sacked with their offensive line. When making the argument for Alex, people often assume that Smith would do better with Matt's receivers but never consider that he would also inherit their porous O-Line.

There is NO way that the cards had a worse offensive line than Alex had his rookie year with the 49ers. That line was brutal pass and run blocking. That guy also forgot that Alex moves quite well in the pocket so i don't buy the "he'd get sacked more" argument.

It's difficult to compare the 2 qbs because of the discrepancy in talent each had to work with their rookie seasons.

Also while I'm not using this as an excuse but Smith(even tho he was in the league 1 year earlier) is actually like a year younger than Leinart.

I don't think at this point its really fair to say who is better than whom.

1usctrojan

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
There is NO way that the cards had a worse offensive line than Alex had his rookie year with the 49ers. That line was brutal pass and run blocking. That guy also forgot that Alex moves quite well in the pocket so i don't buy the "he'd get sacked more" argument.

It's difficult to compare the 2 qbs because of the discrepancy in talent each had to work with their rookie seasons.

Also while I'm not using this as an excuse but Smith(even tho he was in the league 1 year earlier) is actually like a year younger than Leinart.

I don't think at this point its really fair to say who is better than whom.

Please.....Alex Smith came out in his junior year due to....stupidity on his part, what made him think that he could come out of UTAH of all places and compete in the NFL so young? Matt had a huge target on his back all three years he started, playing in the biggest games at the college level. You are beyond ignorant of football if you think that a poor line can allow any QB the time to get the ball to his play makers, it takes one with talent to do what Matt did last season....Alex's rookie year was beyond horrendous, partially due to a poor offense, and partially due to Alex being in way over his head as a starting NFL QB.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's great and all...but the cards aren't the only young and hungry team playing that night.

And yes speed is not something you can teach...but once again having speed doesn't mean someone can play football. That's why you see all these burners who don't do anything in the NFL.

I'll be honest I haven't watched any cards preseason games to see how they're looking on defense.

Needless to say both units need to improve on last season or this will be a shootout.

You are talking offense, not defense. If you have fast LB's and DL's, it's much harder to run on them or make big plays. They limit the time you have to make a play develope.

Regardless, I hope we have a great game and none of the players from either team get injured. And I wish you a great amount of luck when you play the Rams and Seahawks.;)

Genus49

Reaction score
Please.....Alex Smith came out in his junior year due to....stupidity on his part, what made him think that he could come out of UTAH of all places and compete in the NFL so young? Matt had a huge target on his back all three years he started, playing in the biggest games at the college level. You are beyond ignorant of football if you think that a poor line can allow any QB the time to get the ball to his play makers, it takes one with talent to do what Matt did last season....Alex's rookie year was beyond horrendous, partially due to a poor offense, and partially due to Alex being in way over his head as a starting NFL QB.

You for real? Stupidity on his part? He was the #1 overall pick. Matt Leinart stayed for an extra year to party with his LA fanbase and lost out on millions of dollars by going 9th.

As for Alex he came out when his stock was the highest. One thing he is not is stupid. Look at the offense he had around him sherlock. Worst team in a LONG time. The fact that they didn't get the #1 overall pick again is a testament to the coaching staff. And what would you have Alex do? Stay at Utah, risk injury or dropping his value for what? To get a year older? It would still be the same Utah minus Urban Mayer. So once again he was stupid for leaving then? Who's ignorant now?

What exactly did Leinart do last year that was so great? He had a decent season but certainly nothing special. The offense line he had was better than what Smith had his rookie season...clearly we can all agree his passing targets were a lot better as well. So no...I'm not ignorant and am well aware how much the OLine impact the offense. Alex was thrown in before he was really ready seeing as he was less prepared for the pro's than Leinart but he took his lumps and improved big time last year.

Genus49

Reaction score
You are talking offense, not defense. If you have fast LB's and DL's, it's much harder to run on them or make big plays. They limit the time you have to make a play develope.

Regardless, I hope we have a great game and none of the players from either team get injured. And I wish you a great amount of luck when you play the Rams and Seahawks.;)

Nope I was talking about both sides of the ball. I've seen a lot of players who used speed too much and missed their assignments. Take a look at Lavar Arrington. So much talent and speed yet the guy just couldn't play based on what the coaches wanted and he's out of the league right now. One of the 49ers who was a fan favorite - Jamie Winborn was cut because he did the same thing. Just abandoned his assignments trying to make plays - which left the rest of the defense vulnerable. Not to mention speed can also help guys get out of position quicker ;)

Obviously it's great to have but my point is it's not ALL about speed. You need to have the head for the game to boot.

And yes...agreed on your second point. I'm SURE it will be a great game and hopefully no injuries on either side and I wish you luck with the seasquaks and lambs as well.

1usctrojan

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You for real? Stupidity on his part? He was the #1 overall pick. Matt Leinart stayed for an extra year to party with his LA fanbase and lost out on millions of dollars by going 9th.

As for Alex he came out when his stock was the highest. One thing he is not is stupid. Look at the offense he had around him sherlock. Worst team in a LONG time. The fact that they didn't get the #1 overall pick again is a testament to the coaching staff. And what would you have Alex do? Stay at Utah, risk injury or dropping his value for what? To get a year older? It would still be the same Utah minus Urban Mayer. So once again he was stupid for leaving then? Who's ignorant now?

What exactly did Leinart do last year that was so great? He had a decent season but certainly nothing special. The offense line he had was better than what Smith had his rookie season...clearly we can all agree his passing targets were a lot better as well. So no...I'm not ignorant and am well aware how much the OLine impact the offense. Alex was thrown in before he was really ready seeing as he was less prepared for the pro's than Leinart but he took his lumps and improved big time last year.

What a joke.....get this, Alex Smith was CLUELESS, ignorant to what he was in store for in the NFL, and he paid for it dearly. Matt will make up whatever money he lost by waiting, because he will end up the more successful QB because of his poise and intelligence, he knew perfectly well what awaited him in the NFL, and he was prepared....and at this point, his endorcements alone make up for whatever monies lost.

You know who Brian Urlacher is don't you? This is what he said about Matt..."He did a great job last year, and I'm sure he'll get even better," "We all know he's calm back there, and if they can find a way to protect him, look out." SI 7/23/07

I'll take Urlacher's opinon over a moron whiner fan any day....what do you think he thought of Alex? :biglaugh:

Genus49

Reaction score
What a joke.....get this, Alex Smith was CLUELESS, ignorant to what he was in store for in the NFL, and he paid for it dearly. Matt will make up whatever money he lost by waiting, because he will end up the more successful QB because of his poise and intelligence, he knew perfectly well what awaited him in the NFL, and he was prepared....and at this point, his endorcements alone make up for whatever monies lost.

You know who Brian Urlacher is don't you? This is what he said about Matt..."He did a great job last year, and I'm sure he'll get even better," "We all know he's calm back there, and if they can find a way to protect him, look out." SI 7/23/07

I'll take Urlacher's opinon over a moron whiner fan any day....what do you think he thought of Alex? :biglaugh:

First of all I'm a moron why? Because I called you out for saying something dumb?

You have yet to tell me why Smith leaving college when he did was a stupid move for him? If he stayed another year was Utah going to become USC?

And Brian Urlacher is a great player...he's not a GM or someone who can tell the future. Neither can you so stop talking like you know what Alex Smith was thinking and what he knew.

Let's wait 5 years to see how both players turn out. You want to call Leinart a better qb after 1 season? Then you're as stupid as the guys calling Alex Smith a bust after his rookie year.

But you go ahead and enshrine Matt Leinart in the HOF already.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nope I was talking about both sides of the ball. I've seen a lot of players who used speed too much and missed their assignments. Take a look at Lavar Arrington. So much talent and speed yet the guy just couldn't play based on what the coaches wanted and he's out of the league right now. One of the 49ers who was a fan favorite - Jamie Winborn was cut because he did the same thing. Just abandoned his assignments trying to make plays - which left the rest of the defense vulnerable. Not to mention speed can also help guys get out of position quicker ;)

Obviously it's great to have but my point is it's not ALL about speed. You need to have the head for the game to boot.

And yes...agreed on your second point. I'm SURE it will be a great game and hopefully no injuries on either side and I wish you luck with the seasquaks and lambs as well.
After reading your posts here I have rightfully determined that you have no idea what you are talking about.

First off, there is no sense in trying to say that Alex Smith is anywhere near as good as Leinart. I doubt there is another person on this planet besides maybe Smith (doubt it though, I think he wants to get in Matt's pants) who would agree with you there.

On to your comments about Arrington, the guy is out of the league because he wrecked his motorcycle and almost died. As a matter of fact he did it while on the way to signing a contract with the Redskins. Before you try to discuss this just let me say that I go to physical therapy with him every weekday and I seriously doubt you could know more on the subject than me.

Next time you are naming guys who "just couldn't play" you should leave Pro Bowlers out of the conversation.

More importantly, where do any of you whiner fans get off trying act like you have a better team than we do. Montana, Young and Rice are gone guys. Its Q's time to shine now and we have beat you 4Xs in a row. Everyone else in the league may be able to talk smac to us, but not you guys. NOT YOU

Genus49

Reaction score
After reading your posts here I have rightfully determined that you have no idea what you are talking about.

First off, there is no sense in trying to say that Alex Smith is anywhere near as good as Leinart. I doubt there is another person on this planet besides maybe Smith (doubt it though, I think he wants to get in Matt's pants) who would agree with you there.

On to your comments about Arrington, the guy is out of the league because he wrecked his motorcycle and almost died. As a matter of fact he did it while on the way to signing a contract with the Redskins. Before you try to discuss this just let me say that I go to physical therapy with him every weekday and I seriously doubt you could know more on the subject than me.

Next time you are naming guys who "just couldn't play" you should leave Pro Bowlers out of the conversation.

More importantly, where do any of you whiner fans get off trying act like you have a better team than we do. Montana, Young and Rice are gone guys. Its Q's time to shine now and we have beat you 4Xs in a row. Everyone else in the league may be able to talk smac to us, but not you guys. NOT YOU

I'm glad you get to hang out with Lavar Arrington. He had a bike accident true but there's a reason he's 1 and gone from the giants. There's a reason Washington let him go. For a guy who was supposed to be the next LT he's been a big time bust. He made the pro bowl one year and quickly disappeared after he couldn't do what the coaches asked. I'm sure you talking to him he'd tell you the same thing...

And as for the Alex Smith/Matt Leinart thing....how do you get off saying otherwise? I never said Smith is better but I also didn't say Leinart is better. Right now I can't say and neither can you. If you want to go there we can compare stats from last season. And keep in mind Alex didn't have Fitz and Boldin to throw to and another 1st round receiver in Johnson.

Do you know why I haven't done that? Because it's stupid and there's more to it than just numbers.

As for the "where do you get off thinking your team is better than ours" well I dunno...maybe its the fact that we had a better record than you last season? Yes past 2 seasons cards have owned the niners...so what? Which team is better 5-11 or 7-9? You're supposed to be much smarter than me, which is it?

I've been in here just discussing things like a civilized person. You can't make a normal argument without throwing insults? Grow up.

1usctrojan

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
First of all I'm a moron why? Because I called you out for saying something dumb?

You have yet to tell me why Smith leaving college when he did was a stupid move for him? If he stayed another year was Utah going to become USC?

And Brian Urlacher is a great player...he's not a GM or someone who can tell the future. Neither can you so stop talking like you know what Alex Smith was thinking and what he knew.

Let's wait 5 years to see how both players turn out. You want to call Leinart a better qb after 1 season? Then you're as stupid as the guys calling Alex Smith a bust after his rookie year.

But you go ahead and enshrine Matt Leinart in the HOF already.

Stupid because he was the laughting stock of the NFL... and by coming out much to early, could have possibly stunted his growth as a QB....even your own MB go back and fourth on "is he a bust" or "will he ever be become a good QB?" I'd call that quite naive and ill-prepared for NFL reality, as well as thinking much of himself and his skills...but I will give him one thing though, he toughed it out.

You can think what you want, and I'll think what I want....but you can count on me never, ever going to the 49er MB to express my opinion, you seem to forget you are on my MB, and I will speak my mind.

Maybe I am ready to enshrine Matt in the HOF....after all, we have more players in the Pro Football HOF than any other college, which includes the one we loaned you, Ronnie Lott. I had the great pleasure to see several of them play during their college careers, and I'm betting on our QB to make it there.

Last edited:

Genus49

Reaction score
Stupid because he was the laughting stock of the NFL... and by coming out much to early, could have possibly stunted his growth as a QB....even your own MB go back and fourth on "is he a bust" or "will he ever be become a good QB?" I'd call that quite naive and ill-prepared for NFL reality, as well as thinking much of himself and his skills...but I will give him one thing though, he toughed it out.

You can think what you want, and I'll think what I want....but you can count on me never, ever going to the 49er MB to express my opinion, you seem to forget you are on my MB, and I will speak my mind.

Maybe I am ready to enshrine Matt in the HOF....after all, we have more players in the Pro Football HOF than any other college, which includes the one we loaned you, Ronnie Lott. I had the great pleasure to see several of them play during their college careers, and I'm betting on our QB to make it there.

I didn't come here to troll. I was having a normal discussion with people. If you can't hack it then I'll stop posting here. You can express your OPINION. You however have been making it sound like what you say is fact.

Going back to the Alex Smith thing...you still haven't said what he SHOULD have done. In your opinion that is.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you can't hack it then I'll stop posting here.

Ya, keep telling yourself that ..

I think your just mad that Leinart decided to skip the 2005 draft leaving you with Alex "Little Hands" Smith.. Oh, what could have been for you guys.. It just wasnt meant to be..

Genus49

Reaction score
Maybe you missed the part where she said "compete in the NFL" not get drafted high..

What's your point? As I said what would the alternate suggestion be? Stay an extra year in Utah - after getting his stock so high as to be the #1 overall pick, to have a great year in that offense(most of his weapons left school that year), risk playing worse - only to get a year older?

The fact that everyone seems to miss is just how bad the 49ers team was Smith's rookie season. Marino in his prime would've looked pathetic with that team. The horrible team added to Alex's inexperience in a professional offense and you got a horrible performance by him.

His own college coach said that until Alex learns the offense 100% he won't be a good qb. Going from the gimmick offense they ran at Utah to a WCO NFL offense obviously was a big change.

Genus49

Reaction score
Ya, keep telling yourself that ..

I think your just mad that Leinart decided to skip the 2005 draft leaving you with Alex "Little Hands" Smith.. Oh, what could have been for you guys.. It just wasnt meant to be..

I didn't want either guy that year. I wanted the niners to trade down and grab Merriman.

However as a fan I'm obviously going to support Smith. I don't think he's that talented but he's not a horrible qb and I think his brains will help him be a solid nfl qb.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's your point?

I guess I dont have a point.. I mean, why should we be able to comprehend a sentence when reading a post? Your right, I have no point in your world which accuratly describes your thought process about the 9ers.. Just throw junk out there cuz, hey, its what you wanna believe..

MNNinerfan

Reaction score
Oh please. We have bent over backwards and forwards to be nice to you people.....

Calling every fan and player of a team gay....hmmm, doesn't seem nice, at least on the surface....unless you...

nevermind

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05