Brunell

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
I heard on Espn radio that the Skins are trying to trade for Brunell. Anybody heard this story?

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm very suprised by this. If the deal does go through then their cap just got a bit tighter. Champ Bailey anyone?

spanky1

Reaction score
Well if this trade with Washington goes down, the San Diego Chargers will likely go with a QB in round #1. I don't think we would have been on Brunell's radar screen anyway.....he'd have wanted some guarantees that he was a serious candidate to start and would have wanted too much money anyway.

OP
OP
azdad1978

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
Originally posted by Cardiac
I'm very suprised by this. If the deal does go through then their cap just got a bit tighter. Champ Bailey anyone?

That would be nice but he will cost too much money.

Second Deck

Registered
Reaction score
I for one was suprissed at how well Josh played the end of last year. I have no problem going with Josh #1 this year. i would also have a tough time making a choice between Ben and Larry if both are there at 3.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Does Washington actually have a salary cap?

artp

Registered
Reaction score
I bet Brunell winds up in Miami. I hope to sign an upper midtier FA QB. I hope we sign a QB, but not with our third overall. Super Bowl history shows that you don't have to have a franchise QB to get there. Brady, Favre, Warner, Johnson, etc were not franchise draft picks.

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You can sign Champ Bailey and Jevon Kearse and several other FAs. The salary cap is an illusion. Every year teams in salary cap hell sign more FAs. The salary cap can be beaten if you know what you are doing.

Like the guy said year after year Washington does it when exactly do they enter salary cap Hell.

Every year teams with the most salary cap in the nlf (minnesota and arizona for example) don't sign FAs but teams with with very little salary cap keep siging quality FAs not just 1 but 2 and 3 and 4.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Puncture the Following Balloon

If a team mixes southpaws and righties at QB - when one QB replaces another, can't this screw up position strengths/weaknesses and blocking schemes for the O-line since the "blind side" shifts from the QB's left to right and his natural roll-out direction shifts from right to left?

Loyal Card 17

Veteran
Reaction score
jeffgollin,

the redskins didn't have a blocking scheme last season. that why ramsey nearly lost his head. blocking schemes don't change with a southpaw or a right handed qb. you still have to protect qb. dl don't change sides that often. defenses blitz from the blind side. so, instead of the rb blocking the blitz on the left side, he has to block it on the right side. it is really simple from that perspective. now the zone blitz packages is different story. i really don't know much about that.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
KDUS reported that the Chargers have offered the 35th pick for Brunell.

If this deal goes down, we are pretty much assured of getting one of the two qb's most likely (if green wants one)....KDUS was thinking the Chargers might want Fitzgerald with the top pick.

Could we get eli? If chargers make the deal for brunell, take fitzgerald...we would just have to wonder what Oakland does....do they want a qb? Would they take roy williams...or maybe sean taylor or tommie harris or someone else above manning???

It's possible that if San Diego does this trade...our chances have at least improved a little to get Eli.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by CardsFan88

If this deal goes down, we are pretty much assured of getting one of the two qb's most likely (if green wants one)....KDUS was thinking the Chargers might want Fitzgerald with the top pick.

Could we get eli? If chargers make the deal for brunell, take fitzgerald...we would just have to wonder what Oakland does....do they want a qb? Would they take roy williams...or maybe sean taylor or tommie harris or someone else above manning???

It's possible that if San Diego does this trade...our chances have at least improved a little to get Eli.

Unless they then trade the 1 pick to someone for their #1 and a #2 is part of the deal. They replace the 2 they gave up for Brunell, and they move down and get a player for less money and still have Brunell.

IN this WR heavy draft I just don't know if anybody but Oakland is going to take a WR in the top 2 picks. In fact on the Charger board one of the bigger threads recently was about how they should move down 2-3 spots and take Gallery because their OL is so bad.

spanky1

Reaction score
Originally posted by CardsFan88

Brunell to San Diego for the #35 pick......I would do it if I were them. They would likely draft Gallery under this scenario. Contrary to public opinion, if Eli is available to Oakland, I believe they will take him and not Fitzgerald

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Originally posted by spanky1
Brunell to San Diego for the #35 pick......I would do it if I were them. They would likely draft Gallery under this scenario. Contrary to public opinion, if Eli is available to Oakland, I believe they will take him and not Fitzgerald

This make sense Marty wants to win now he doesn't have the luxury of 2, 3 years to develop a young QB he already tried that with Brees.

Oakland has holes but they have weakness at WR (age) and QB. Fitz or Ben make sense for them. And Eli would too unless Al is going to get Norv to run a deep passing game.

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Russ Smith
In fact on the Charger board one of the bigger threads recently was about how they should move down 2-3 spots and take Gallery because their OL is so bad.

Could you imagine what Tomlinson can do with a good line, or at least an average one.

OP
OP
azdad1978

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
Originally posted by Assface
Could you imagine what Tomlinson can do with a good line, or at least an average one.

Yeah a great stats on rushing. And will open up more playaction pass.

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even if the Chargers don't get Brunnell I don't see them talking a QB right away. Brees isn't that bad and their OL and defense are horrible. I wouldn't be shocked to see them trade down to take Gallery or a top DL. 2 important factors are which teams want to move into their spot and which teams will be willing to give up enough to trade up. It's might be a moot point since it sounds like Green might want to stick with McCown. DG doesn't seem to be big on taking highly touted QBs. After all, Jeff George did good in his offense and he's one of the dumbest QBs ever. While George had one hell of an arm Josh is a better athlete and it didn't look like he learned much in his first year and a half he sure caught on quick when he actually had guys trying to take his head off.

If Brunell was willing to accept a backup position if Josh beat him out for the job (I'm a big Brunell fan but injuries have taken their toll and I don't know if he would win the starting job) I would love to have him here. He has playoff experience and is a great competitor. If he was here I think he would have a lot to pass on to Josh and Preston. He'll probably end up in Miami. He get's to stay in Florida and I'm sure they have a high opinion of him since he helped knock Jimmy Johnson back into retirement.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Assface

He had one a couple of years ago and should this coming season. Remember they played the whole year without Fonoti, he's due back healthy next year. His rookie year he made a major impact in their running attack.

OP
OP
azdad1978

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
He had one a couple of years ago and should this coming season. Remember they played the whole year without Fonoti, he's due back healthy next year. His rookie year he made a major impact in their running attack.

But their Tackles are average at best. Thats why Brees got killed back there and have no time to set up.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by azdad1978
But their Tackles are average at best. Thats why Brees got killed back there and have no time to set up.

Agreed, but weren't they essentially the same guys as the year before?

What I read on signonsandiego there was a lot of guys wanting Gallery because as you say they have tackle problems. But a bunch were saying remember the difference Fonoti made in the run game(not pass blocking) as a rookie. He went from 3.6 to 4.5 YPC that year, then jumped it up to 5.3 this year.

Personally I felt the major difference was LT signed late as a rookie and wasn't in game shape nor ready for the pounding. He got ready after that year, great player I had no idea he was that good coming out of college.

OP
OP
azdad1978

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
Agreed, but weren't they essentially the same guys as the year before?

What I read on signonsandiego there was a lot of guys wanting Gallery because as you say they have tackle problems. But a bunch were saying remember the difference Fonoti made in the run game(not pass blocking) as a rookie. He went from 3.6 to 4.5 YPC that year, then jumped it up to 5.3 this year.

Personally I felt the major difference was LT signed late as a rookie and wasn't in game shape nor ready for the pounding. He got ready after that year, great player I had no idea he was that good coming out of college.

In my opinion Russ is if you have two good tackles you can compensate with an average guards or center. LT was enigma when he came out of TCU. Here's a running back that came out of an option offense and doesn't really run inside. But what a pick!!!

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by azdad1978
In my opinion Russ is if you have two good tackles you can compensate with an average guards or center. LT was enigma when he came out of TCU. Here's a running back that came out of an option offense and doesn't really run inside. But what a pick!!!

I thought he was too small as a rookie but I wound up having him on my fantasy team that year, I couldn't get him the next 2 years. Great player.