Build Around Amare.

Black Jesus

No Talent Ass-Clown
Reaction score
Build around Amare.

Trade Barbosa, Barnes, Shaq, Nash, and Richardson for young players, expiring contracts, and draft picks.

-Give Amare a PG that can play some D. Amare looks worse when he has to help when Nash gets blown by and Amare has to step in, which leaves his man open in the post. Makes it hard for Amare to commit on his man when he knows Nash can't keep anyone in front of him. For 2 seasons Bell was able to take that player off Nash's responsibilities, but Bell got old.

-A SG that can hit the three. Amare needs open space. Amare also has the ability to kick it out.

- A Slashing SF. I think the best possible SF you could put next to Amare would be Carmelo Anthony. He has the ability to post, has a good midrange jumper, and can slash to the hoop.

- A true post defensive center. Marcus Camby would be great or someone younger as well. A big body that can rebound and won't need 15 touches a game on the offensive side.

Let's get real. Amare as of right now is a top 10-12 NBA player, and has the ability to be a top 5, MVP candidate. He has one of the best midrange jumpers in the game, the ability to go to the hoop, and is explosive around the rim.

Yes his defense comes and goes, but you can not let this kind of talent leave your team just because you want Nash to retire a Sun. Guess what, Amare was drafted here and has done just as much for the Suns as Nash. BAD decision if they do otherwise.

OP
OP
B

Black Jesus

No Talent Ass-Clown
Reaction score
BTW here are some young players I'd like to see on the suns around Amare.

Grizzlies- Mike Conley, Kyle Lowry, Hakim Warrick, Mike Miller. (Best team, but hardest probably to trade with)
Lakers- Jordan Farmar

Charlotte- DJ Augustin, Emeka Okafor, Gerald Wallace

Portland- Jerryd Bayless, Travis Outlaw, Fernandez, Pryzbilla

Knicks- David Lee, Wilson Chandler, Duhon

Mil- Michael Redd, Richard Jefferson,

Chicago- Tyrus Thomas(off bench Amare like), Noah, Gray. I know they want Amare but if they had Barbosa and J-Rich running with Rose, they would be nasty.

Nets- CDR, Dooling, Sean Williams Maybe we could dump the other twin with them too

i'm sure there are others but this is off the top of my head players that could be available that I want. Give up anyone on the Suns not named Amare Stoudemire and build around his strengths and weaknesses

OP
OP
B

Black Jesus

No Talent Ass-Clown
Reaction score
and here is my Dream team for next season.

PG- Duhon
SG- Mike Miller
SF- Wilson Chandler
PF- Amare Stoudemire
C- Emeka Okafor

Bench
Conley or Bayless
Hakim Warrick
Sean Williams
CDR
Aaron Gray

With that lineup you can go big, you can put shooters on the court, and you are always athletic minus Miller and Gray

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn't Amare just pledge he is now going to elevate his game after the Suns are presently out of the playoff picture? Someone should tell Amare it may already be too late to elevate his game for the playoffs. The Suns may not make it.

I don't know about you, but I wouldn't build a franchise around a player that decides when he wants to play hard and gives excuses for off performances. See link to article below.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/2009/02/07/20090207sunspistons0208.html

nowagimp

Reaction score
Didn't Amare just pledge he is now going to elevate his game after the Suns are presently out of the playoff picture? Someone should tell Amare it may already be too late to elevate his game for the playoffs. The Suns may not make it.

I don't know about you, but I wouldn't build a franchise around a player that decides when he wants to play hard and gives excuses for off performances. See link to article below.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/2009/02/07/20090207sunspistons0208.html

Actually when shaq has a bad performance, he "needs more touches". Problem is that shaq doesnt seem to deliver the dimes when doubled anymore as he tries to score even against double teams. I suppose if he scores more he doesnt need an excuse for his stats.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Build around Amare.

It would be incredibly stupid to build your team around a Power Forward who will take up 1/3 rd of your total cap space (max contract) and is not a legit super star. Amare's next contract will be max only because big men are a premium...not because is he a max contract caliber PF.

Trade Barbosa, Barnes, Shaq, Nash, and Richardson for young players, expiring contracts, and draft picks.

That "might" work. Especially, if you could bring in defensive minded players who could defend at every position. Bringing in rebounders would also be essential.

The one problem with this approach, is if you go into "rebuild" mode, I seriously doubt Amare resigns with the Suns. I just don't see it.

-Give Amare a PG that can play some D. Amare looks worse when he has to help when Nash gets blown by and Amare has to step in, which leaves his man open in the post. Makes it hard for Amare to commit on his man when he knows Nash can't keep anyone in front of him. For 2 seasons
Bell was able to take that player off Nash's responsibilities, but Bell got old.

That's excuses. Does Amare have to play too much help defense because of Nash? Yes but that doesn't account for Amare's horrible one on one defense. Amare is one of the worst in the league. Not to mention that if you remember correctly, pre-Shaq when Amare was our front court anchor, this team was one of the worst in the NBA at in the paint defense.

- A true post defensive center. Marcus Camby would be great or someone younger as well. A big body that can rebound and won't need 15 touches a game on the offensive side.

There are only a few guys like that in the entire league. The chances of you getting one of those are next to none.

Let's get real. Amare as of right now is a top 10-12 NBA player, and has the ability to be a top 5, MVP candidate. He has one of the best midrange jumpers in the game, the ability to go to the hoop, and is explosive around the rim.
Yes his defense comes and goes, but you can not let this kind of talent leave your team just because you want Nash to retire a Sun. Guess what, Amare was drafted here and has done just as much for the Suns as Nash. BAD decision if they do otherwise.

Yes...let's get real. It would be incredibly stupid to build your team around a Power Forward who will take up 1/3 rd of your total cap space (max contract) and is not a legit super star. Amare's next contract will be max only because big men are a premium...not because is he a max contract caliber PF.

Amare will never be a legit MVP candidate until he learns to play defense and rebounds at a consistent level. Amare is force to be reckoned with on the offensive end but is too one dimensional IMO to EVER be an anchor on a title contending team. Amare is the type of player you add to a team that is one player away. You don't build around a player like that.

Again, if you could be solid at the 1, 2, 3 & 5 positions then I agree you could keep Amare. However, Amare's ego is too big to not be "the man". I also, doubt this franchises ability to put together a team that would have to include a super start to play next to Amare.

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
Build around Amare.

-Give Amare a PG that can play some D. Amare looks worse when he has to help when Nash gets blown by and Amare has to step in, which leaves his man open in the post. Makes it hard for Amare to commit on his man when he knows Nash can't keep anyone in front of him. For 2 seasons Bell was able to take that player off Nash's responsibilities, but Bell got old.

-A SG that can hit the three. Amare needs open space. Amare also has the ability to kick it out.

- A Slashing SF. I think the best possible SF you could put next to Amare would be Carmelo Anthony. He has the ability to post, has a good midrange jumper, and can slash to the hoop.

If we need a sg who can hit threes, why not just keep richardson?

Carmelo? So we should get a good defensive point guard to help out amare, and follow that move up by getting a terrible defensive SF?

Marcus Camby is not a "post defensive center". He is a weak-side/help defender. He's far too think to bang around in the post on defense.

I don't think Amare is a top 10-12 player as of right now. I also don't think he's going to ever be an MVP candidate. He doesn't do a thing defensively to help the team. Not even rebound. Voters will always say "Yeah he can score, but there is that whole no defense/rebounding thing".

Andrew

flamboyantly righteous!
Reaction score
I am not for blowing up this team but when the rebuilding process does come, do it with Amare. You know what to expect from him, fill the roster with players that complement him, don't trade him.

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
What am I missing about Jason Maxiell. He's already 25, averages only 16 minutes a game with 5 points and 4 boards, even if we double that to 32 minutes and 10 points and 8 boards it's still pretty poor production. His FG% is ok, but he's awful at the free throw line. Amundson awful, and worse than Shaq.

cly2tw

Reaction score
I can understand trading away Nash, but why JRich and LB? Given the chance, both could develop into better scorers who are already great 3pt shooters.

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
Why not build around someone who isn't so needy. If Amare is a top 5 player, lets say this.

Is there ever a sentence that says....

1. Lebron
2. Kobe
3. Dwight Howard
4. KG
5. Chris Paul

..... needs so and so around them to be successful?

didnt think so

amare isn't a superstar, he just thinks he is.

OP
OP
B

Black Jesus

No Talent Ass-Clown
Reaction score
Why not build around someone who isn't so needy. If Amare is a top 5 player, lets say this.

Is there ever a sentence that says....

1. Lebron
2. Kobe
3. Dwight Howard
4. KG
5. Chris Paul

..... needs so and so around them to be successful?

didnt think so

amare isn't a superstar, he just thinks he is.

For years people said KG needed something around him. He was in minnesota and nobody with him could get it done.

Kobe needed to get a big around him to be successful. He lost Shaq and then needed Pau Gasol and a healthy Bynum with D-Fish back.

What has Dwight Howard done in the playoffs?

Chris Paul got better once they got Tyson Chandler.

We just have the WRONG players around Amare. If Amare Stoudemire was a Bull, Knick, or Hawk right now he'd be killing it. Instead he has Terry Porter, a Steve Nash that is a shell, a lazy Shaq that has packed it in, Barbosa who doesn't pass or play D, Barnes who is dirt, and a bunch of crap backup bigs.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score

It would be incredibly stupid to build your team around a Power Forward who will take up 1/3 rd of your total cap space (max contract) and is not a legit super star. Amare's next contract will be max only because big men are a premium...not because is he a max contract caliber PF.

That "might" work. Especially, if you could bring in defensive minded players who could defend at every position. Bringing in rebounders would also be essential.

The one problem with this approach, is if you go into "rebuild" mode, I seriously doubt Amare resigns with the Suns. I just don't see it.

That's excuses. Does Amare have to play too much help defense because of Nash? Yes but that doesn't account for Amare's horrible one on one defense. Amare is one of the worst in the league. Not to mention that if you remember correctly, pre-Shaq when Amare was our front court anchor, this team was one of the worst in the NBA at in the paint defense.

There are only a few guys like that in the entire league. The chances of you getting one of those are next to none.

Yes...let's get real. It would be incredibly stupid to build your team around a Power Forward who will take up 1/3 rd of your total cap space (max contract) and is not a legit super star. Amare's next contract will be max only because big men are a premium...not because is he a max contract caliber PF.

Amare will never be a legit MVP candidate until he learns to play defense and rebounds at a consistent level. Amare is force to be reckoned with on the offensive end but is too one dimensional IMO to EVER be an anchor on a title contending team. Amare is the type of player you add to a team that is one player away. You don't build around a player like that.

Again, if you could be solid at the 1, 2, 3 & 5 positions then I agree you could keep Amare. However, Amare's ego is too big to not be "the man". I also, doubt this franchises ability to put together a team that would have to include a super start to play next to Amare.

He will be worth a max contract if that's what the market bears. Like, yeah, he's not worth it. But if the going rate for a player of his skills is the max, even if it's only because there are so few players like him, then he's worth it. Mostly because since players like him are so rare it will be hard to find a replacement.

S_Nash

Funky Fresh
Reaction score
The New Orleans Hornets will not win a championship with their current roster.

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
1. For years people said KG needed something around him. He was in minnesota and nobody with him could get it done.

2. Kobe needed to get a big around him to be successful. He lost Shaq and then needed Pau Gasol and a healthy Bynum with D-Fish back.

What has Dwight Howard done in the playoffs?

Chris Paul got better once they got Tyson Chandler.

We just have the WRONG players around Amare. If Amare Stoudemire was a Bull, Knick, or Hawk right now he'd be killing it. Instead he has Terry Porter, a Steve Nash that is a shell, a lazy Shaq that has packed it in, Barbosa who doesn't pass or play D, Barnes who is dirt, and a bunch of crap backup bigs.

1. KG was still an MVP when he didn't have people around him
2. Kobe was still MVP caliber when he didn't have a big (and his big was the worst...Kwame Brown)

Chris Paul only played one season without Tyson Chandler, his rookie season, which he was named rookie of the year.

Amare isn't a superstar, he is needy.

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
Build around Amare.

I normally don't see eye to eye with you in many debates, but in this case I could not and will not agree with you more.

Everything you said is dead on.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
The team as it sits seems to be built for a playoff run, with all it's vets. To blow it up this year (Shaq's first full yr.) would be quite an indictment on PHX's mangagement.

Blow it up this summer if you have to.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. KG was still an MVP when he didn't have people around him
2. Kobe was still MVP caliber when he didn't have a big (and his big was the worst...Kwame Brown)

Chris Paul only played one season without Tyson Chandler, his rookie season, which he was named rookie of the year.

Amare isn't a superstar, he is needy.

not to mention all those guys play defense. Amare does not.

+1 on all the above.

Reaction score
I've said this many times. People want to say we cant build around Amare because he is not Lebron/Kobe/Wade/Dwight caliber. But I would think that they would agree that he is in the 2nd tier right after those guys when it comes to building a team around. So we trade him for who? Guys in the 4th tier and a draft pick that we hope will even be in the 3rd tier? Doesnt make much sense

Jason Richardson, Grant Hill are two guys that right now are great at playing off of Amare. People hate Goran Dragic but I see his potential and I think him and Amare would work very well together in the future too. Barbosa? Eh. If we can trade him for a defensive big that can spread the floor I would. Everyone else? They can go.

I am pretty sure we could get draft picks and save money if we traded Shaq and Nash right now. I dont see how they are so untradable. Nash doesnt have a bad contract and Shaq only has 1 year after this year and is producing like a all-star. When it comes to centers, he only has to compete with Chandler and J. O"Neal on the trade block.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've said this many times. People want to say we cant build around Amare because he is not Lebron/Kobe/Wade/Dwight caliber. But I would think that they would agree that he is in the 2nd tier right after those guys when it comes to building a team around. So we trade him for who? Guys in the 4th tier and a draft pick that we hope will even be in the 3rd tier? Doesnt make much sense

Jason Richardson, Grant Hill are two guys that right now are great at playing off of Amare. People hate Goran Dragic but I see his potential and I think him and Amare would work very well together in the future too. Barbosa? Eh. If we can trade him for a defensive big that can spread the floor I would. Everyone else? They can go.

I am pretty sure we could get draft picks and save money if we traded Shaq and Nash right now. I dont see how they are so untradable. Nash doesnt have a bad contract and Shaq only has 1 year after this year and is producing like a all-star. When it comes to centers, he only has to compete with Chandler and J. O"Neal on the trade block.

You can't build a title conteding team with Amare as your center piece. Now if this team went out and got a better player then Amare to play along side him, your back in business.

I am not against the team holding on to Amare if that is the plan. I am 100% against this team making Amare the center piece if your goal is win a title. It will NEVER happen. Also, could this team get enough players around Amare to shore up his horrible defense and subpar rebounding???

Besides, the one big hurdle in the scenario of keeping Amare is...... Amare will never except not being "the man". His ego is telling him he is a tier 1 player in this league.

OP
OP
B

Black Jesus

No Talent Ass-Clown
Reaction score
Amare is obviosuly top 10 NBA. If we get Tayshaun in return im not a suns fan for a while.

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
Amare is obviosuly top 10 NBA. If we get Tayshaun in return im not a suns fan for a while.

obviously is a strong word. Ranking nba players isn't all about PPG. It's about defense, leadership, hustle, HEART. unfortunately, unless we coddle amare, he doesn't have any of those. and we could name the stadium after amare and he still wont play defense.

the thing about wade, the King, Kobe, Howard, and Chris Paul is they are "get on my back, ill carry this team" guys.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Amare is obviosuly top 10 NBA.

Can you explain this? In what category? Are you saying overall in the NBA? Overall all at the PF position? Scoring PF in the NBA?

The only one that he definitely is top 10 is offensive PF in the NBA. I agree with that.

Overall in the NBA it's no question he is NOT a top 10 player. Looking at Amare from the PF position only, you could buy the argument he is Top 15 and not Top 10 although debateable.

Amare (PF playing at least 30 minutes per game)
FG% #7
PPG #6
FT% #6
Assists PG - #23
RPG #23
SPG - #18
BPG #19
Turnovers - 2nd worst in the NBA
Opposing PPG (Defense) - #20

Again, could buy the argument he is not top 10 at the PF position. I personally think he cracks the top 10 at the PF position because of his ability to dominate a game here and there.

However, if you think Amare is top 10 NBA (meaning all of the NBA), you really need to explain that one to me. Maybe give me a list of your top 10 players. I just don't really understand how you can call any player in the NBA top 10 that doesn't play on both ends of the floor.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser