Bye Bye Budda

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
That's not a reason to throw money at a position that's of lesser importance. The Cardinals are teaching the point where they can start building the roster the right way. Throw big money at Christian Wilkins or Chris Jones instead of Budda Baker.
I think you're crazy thinking you're going to get a lot of value from Chris Jones entering his Age 30 season and beyond.

Christian Wilkins is a more interesting target maybe he's a year younger.

I'm not 100% sure either guy reaches free agency or the Cards will be interested in joining a bidding war for either.

Free agency probably looks like re-signing Hollywood Brown and setting the IDL market (non Aaron Donald Edition) and filling in a bunch of Dennis Daley types.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Also an indictment of the teams he played on. More difficult to make the playoffs then as well.
Not necessarily true. The Cardinals had some good teams & good records in the 60’s. But, yes, there were no wildcards back then & we were in the same division with the Browns, who back then, were pretty elite.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Go look at the Super Bowl participants in the past 20 years & you could argue the Safety rooms were better than the CB rooms.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
If choosing to pay big money between Jones, who remains one of the most dominant pass rushers in the game, and Budda, well, that's an easy choice.
Neither are going to outperform their contract, which should be the goal while you're building a roster.

Jones will likely get a deal in excess of $26 million per year with $50 million fully guaranteed. You have to be really sure about the guy before you bring him into your room and give him that kind of money. And I like Chris Jones a ton.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Neither are going to outperform their contract, which should be the goal while you're building a roster.

Jones will likely get a deal in excess of $26 million per year with $50 million fully guaranteed. You have to be really sure about the guy before you bring him into your room and give him that kind of money. And I like Chris Jones a ton.
For sure its a ton of money - that said, he was voted a top 10 player last year, and is considered a contender for defensive player of the year.

If I'm choosing between paying big money to Jones, or big money to Hollywood/Budda, its a no brainer.

I mean, look at the numbers...he almost always plays and is showing no signs of slowing down.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the old way of thinking when the safety position was consider a non premium position. Gone are the days when your Strong Safety was basically just another LB who was very limited in coverage ability or a Free Safety whose only job was to make sure that no one got behind them.

In the modern game the safety position has evolved. Because of rule changes that help the passing game and the rise of uber athletic TEs the Safety position has become much more important. With 4 and 5 WR sets being much more common, a Safety must now be able to cover WRs and athletic TEs. Additionally a safety must be still able to help support stopping the running game. Those two way type of safeties come at a premium.

Just look at the trade the Eagles recently made to acquire S Kevin Byard. The Eagles have really missed the two-way playmaking ability that they lost when Gardner-Johnson signed with the Lions this season.

The above actually makes the argument for precisely why you DONT build around Buddah because he does NOTHING to address the way the game has changed. He’s a complete non-factor in coverage, at best. Not a playmaker. Doesn’t come up with turnovers.

Overpaying that guy makes no sense in today’s NFL.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
That's not a reason to throw money at a position that's of lesser importance. The Cardinals are teaching the point where they can start building the roster the right way. Throw big money at Christian Wilkins or Chris Jones instead of Budda Baker.

Yup, moving on from Budda for Wilkins would be the move. Even someone like Leonard Williams, or DJ Reader would be a far better use of the money.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think you're crazy thinking you're going to get a lot of value from Chris Jones entering his Age 30 season and beyond.

Have you been reading Steve Keim's file on Calais Campbell?

Jones has at least a few good years in him. ALthough he wouldn't be my personal choice. Mainly due to the cost you mention.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Jones has at least a few good years in him. ALthough he wouldn't be my personal choice. Mainly due to the cost you mention.
Its still a bet giving big Money to over 30 players, he demand to be the highest paid dt in the league
Do u remember Suh second contract?
Campbell longevity Is an outlier

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Its still a bet giving big Money to over 30 players, he demand to be the highest paid dt in the league
Do u remember Suh second contract?
Campbell longevity Is an outlier
Watt was able to give us quality performance into his 30's, and had a worse injury background. Sign Jones to a big 3 year deal or 4 year with big money in the first 3. He's proven to be one of the best defensive players in football.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Watt was able to give us quality performance into his 30's, and had a worse injury background. Sign Jones to a big 3 year deal or 4 year with big money in the first 3. He's proven to be one of the best defensive players in football.
This is hilarious. Someone is going to give him a five- or six-year deal. Be real. Quinnen Williams' extension was for SEVEN YEARS and voids after five.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

It's an interesting comp. Calais didn't reset the market at his position when he moved to the Jags.

Calais just owned so hard. It would be amazing if he made the Hall of Fame.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
This is hilarious. Someone is going to give him a five- or six-year deal. Be real. Quinnen Williams' extension was for SEVEN YEARS and voids after five.
Quinnen Williams is 25. Yes, comparing a 25 year old vs. a 30 year old is hilarious. I think he's more likely to get a 4 year deal than 7, but we'll see!

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It's an interesting comp. Calais didn't reset the market at his position when he moved to the Jags.

I don't think it will be much different. CC got $15m when the cap was $167m so 9%.

I expect Jones will get around $25m, so 10.5%. Maybe a little more but not much. I don't see him getting a $30m deal.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score

More career sacks than Warren Sapp. Probably one of 4-5 guys with 100+ who played inside. Based on the numbers he’s a lock.

That being said played on lots of bad teams and non-premier franchises so has largely flown under the radar.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
More career sacks than Warren Sapp. Probably one of 4-5 guys with 100+ who played inside. Based on the numbers he’s a lock.

That being said played on lots of bad teams and non-premier franchises so has largely flown under the radar.
He was a first-team All Pro and has six pro bowls on his resume. Hopefully that gets him into the conversation.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
It’d have been more if he played for New England or whatever. Played on mostly bad/mediocre teams and a couple lousy organizations not in major media markets.
Here's Calais's PFR page.

He was also on the Pro Football Hall of Fame all 2010s team, which is a good foundation to build form. And he was the 2019 Walter Payton Man of the Year.

He was on the 2017 Jags team that carried Blake Bortles to the AFC Championship game. The 2020 Ravens team he joined advanced to the AFC Divisional round. They allowed 220 total yards to the Buffalo Bills(!!!!) and still lost. That team was #2 in scoring defense.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sparky