Bye Bye Budda

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I think we will have some flexibility to trade down a bit, especially at #2 and IF Kyler is our franchise QB.

We could trade down and still get guys like Alt and Newton with our first 2 picks.
I don't think it's a good bet to pass on a generational talent at a marquee position when you get a chance to take one.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I don't think it's a good bet to pass on a generational talent at a marquee position when you get a chance to take one.
I wouldn't but I could see Monti doing so. In fact, he kind of did that last year. He passed on the top EDGE in a deeper EDGE class, drafted an OT in a weaker OT draft, and then took an EDGE with his next pick.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I wouldn't but I could see Monti doing so. In fact, he kind of did that last year. He passed on the top EDGE in a deeper EDGE class, drafted an OT in a weaker OT draft, and then took an EDGE with his next pick.
Anderson isn't a generational talent. His ceiling is not Nick Bosa, Von Miller, or Myles Garrett.

Having a weaker OT class means that you have to take one sooner since you can wait on edge, and largely, the Edge group hasn't really been a weakness and Paris Johnson Jr has been mostly good.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He passed on the top EDGE in a deeper EDGE class, drafted an OT in a weaker OT draft,
I think this is bad way to look at it.

Also, deeper EDGE class? Will is better than Turner, Latu, & Verse, but them 3 are much better than Tyree coming out.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Anderson isn't a generational talent. His ceiling is not Nick Bosa, Von Miller, or Myles Garrett.

Having a weaker OT class means that you have to take one sooner since you can wait on edge, and largely, the Edge group hasn't really been a weakness and Paris Johnson Jr has been mostly good.
So in your thoughts, what generational talents are in the upcoming draft?

Do you see perennial pro bowlers, who?

I personally didn’t see a generational player in the last draft.

At this time, I see one in the upcoming draft and just a handful of perennial pro bowlers.

Another question, is the upcoming draft 20 deep in starters or more?

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Was thinking yesterday if we get pick 2... Monti is more likely to try and trade back within the top 5... likely sacrificing MHJ, and picking Fashanu... I hate it but I don't hate it... this draft is flush with #1 WR's and we can likely get one at pick 34
God I hope he isn't that dim.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm of two minds about this. Obviously, having an $18.5 million cap hold on a safety is not ideal. But you're going to have to pay somebody.

We're on schedule to spend more than 2x our cap dollars on offense than defense in 2024 (this is before extending Hollywood Brown, the only high-dollar pending free agent). Why are we seeking cap flexibility when we have $65 million in available cap space and there's a limited number of free agents available?

Now, Budda enters 2024 in a contract year at age 28. He can probably make one more big contract. I don't think you want 31 year-old Budda Baker being the highest-paid player on your defense, but there's a reasonable argument to be made that, should he prove a good citizen the rest of the way, we can and should extend his deal, lower his cap hit next season, and put him more in line with the market and a little above Jalen Thompson's $8 million salary.

It's cray-cray that the Cards have two safeties in the top 12 safety contracts when both their deals are two years old or more. Keim should be dumped in that landfill with those copies of E.T. for Nintendo.
Atari.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
That's exactly why I said we should only pay BB short-term. Thanks for agreeing with me :)

But why?

Take the $14m from Budda and sign Chuck Clark for $5m (which is what he signed for the Jets before injury).

Take the $9m remaining and instead of signing a bunch of guys only worth vet min deals sign better guys that are worth $3m each. Or just greatly improve the quality at one or two positions.

For example the Budda money could become Chuck Clark, Tim Settle and Marcus Peters.

The idea that the money can't be put to use is just not true.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
So in your thoughts, what generational talents are in the upcoming draft?

Do you see perennial pro bowlers, who?

I personally didn’t see a generational player in the last draft.

At this time, I see one in the upcoming draft and just a handful of perennial pro bowlers.

Another question, is the upcoming draft 20 deep in starters or more?
MHJ at WR is the only generational.

Maye, Williams, Fashanu, and Alt are all blue chips. Maybe Dallas Turner.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
But why?

Take the $14m from Budda and sign Chuck Clark for $5m (which is what he signed for the Jets before injury).

Take the $9m remaining and instead of signing a bunch of guys only worth vet min deals sign better guys that are worth $3m each. Or just greatly improve the quality at one or two positions.

For example the Budda money could become Chuck Clark, Tim Settle and Marcus Peters.

The idea that the money can't be put to use is just not true.
Give me Budda. I see him as the heart and soul of our defensive backfield. And maybe of our entire defense. He plays hard on every play.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
A chain is only as strong as its weakest link. And our DL is pretty weak. So I guess it makes sense to try to bring down our strongest defensive unit (safety) to the DL level. At least that's what other NFL teams hope that we'll do.

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score
Caleb is to much like Murray, in college ball his size, mobility, playing with 5* works against college teams less talented than them.

Drake Maye is the choice in my opinion. I would start having convo's with Minn to see if they have interest in Murray

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Gotta keep around the heart and soul
Of the leagues 26th-ranked defense.
I get what you're saying, because the stats are stats... But I honestly think this is closer to a top 20 or top 15 defense if that offense can do its job and continue to control drives and the clock and hold leads into the second half... Limiting the defenses exposure.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I think this is bad way to look at it.

Also, deeper EDGE class? Will is better than Turner, Latu, & Verse, but them 3 are much better than Tyree coming out.
9 EDGE players were drafted in the top 42 picks.5 OTs in that same range. I feel it is easy to say that the top of the EDGE class was perceived to be deeper than the top of the OT class.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

It is probably a good idea to get away from the "generational talent" term. It is silly when you look at the history of the draft. Yes, Monti felt he could wait on EDGE vs OT which was correct if you look at how the draft played out. It could be argued that he may do the same in future drafts.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser