Bye Bye Budda

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The overall point is that the roster is extremely talent deficient, and it is not in the position to build primarily through the draft. The Cardinals have not given themselves that luxury. Because of this, they likely have to retain some players they should bail on, overpay some players in FA, explore trades, and hit on draft pick. Fair or not the NFL is a production league, and people who don't produce get shipped out.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
If Monti chooses to build through the draft, which can be an absolute crapshoot, and he is not winning games in year 2 or 3, he should be gone.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Rebirding is not some exact science - there is no recipe because most the ingredients aren't available all the time so you take what you can when you can - but the secret is also figuring out what not to take

I think Monti and Sears will rebird thru both - the draft and free agency - and they've stockpiled the cash and draft picks to do so

I also think they did pretty decent in their first draft - definitely an upgrade from Keim - and I don't think they've fully participated in free agency yet unless you count the gems and mehs they found on the dollar menu

As for a timetable - I think we pick up a few good deals when free agency kicks off - then we draft a lot of players - then we revisit the free agent market for anything we still need - that'll all happen before 2024 preseason

If you add Kyler Murray to this team - and the off-season I just described - I think we're talking at least a .500 football team - a competitive football team on the up and up

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Rebirding is not some exact science - there is no recipe because most the ingredients aren't available all the time so you take what you can when you can - but the secret is also figuring out what not to take

I think Monti and Sears will rebird thru both - the draft and free agency - and they've stockpiled the cash and draft picks to do so

I also think they did pretty decent in their first draft - definitely an upgrade from Keim - and I don't think they've fully participated in free agency yet unless you count the gems and mehs they found on the dollar menu

As for a timetable - I think we pick up a few good deals when free agency kicks off - then we draft a lot of players - then we revisit the free agent market for anything we still need - that'll all happen before 2024 preseason

If you add Kyler Murray to this team - and the off-season I just described - I think we're talking at least a .500 football team - a competitive football team on the up and up
.500 is and should be the bar for year two with Kyler. The tough part will be if Monti drafts 10 players, some for key spots, and they struggle to immediately produce. Fair or not, that is the tough part of building through the draft.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
But why?

Take the $14m from Budda and sign Chuck Clark for $5m (which is what he signed for the Jets before injury).

Take the $9m remaining and instead of signing a bunch of guys only worth vet min deals sign better guys that are worth $3m each. Or just greatly improve the quality at one or two positions.

For example the Budda money could become Chuck Clark, Tim Settle and Marcus Peters.

The idea that the money can't be put to use is just not true.
Here’s a prob with that. You’re treating players like tools instead of people. Buddha is A+ football/real life character. Thinking you can improve upon what he brings with any combination that includes Marcus Peters is a failure. I don’t know what the team will do but I know that Monti and JG have stressed culture since they’re arrival and moving a guy like Buddha for a guy like Peters would be very inconsistent with that narrative.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Here’s a prob with that. You’re treating players like tools instead of people. Buddha is A+ football/real life character. Thinking you can improve upon what he brings with any combination that includes Marcus Peters is a failure. I don’t know what the team will do but I know that Monti and JG have stressed culture since they’re arrival and moving a guy like Buddha for a guy like Peters would be very inconsistent with that narrative.
and 14 mil in 2024 is largely meaningless when you have 65 mil already available, and are not a prime FA destination. You don't want to give out too many large FA contracts, and can only add some many lower level guys to make a difference and still have spots your young players can win.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
.500 is and should be the bar for year two with Kyler. The tough part will be if Monti drafts 10 players, some for key spots, and they struggle to immediately produce. Fair or not, that is the tough part of building through the draft.
Totally agree - free agency costs more because the players are known quantities - but it's the draft that can make or break you

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
If Monti chooses to build through the draft, which can be an absolute crapshoot, and he is not winning games in year 2 or 3, he should be gone.
I think if the Cardinals can get three good starters out of the draft, three good starters in free agency, the team will be competitive again.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
The overall point is that the roster is extremely talent deficient, and it is not in the position to build primarily through the draft. The Cardinals have not given themselves that luxury. Because of this, they likely have to retain some players they should bail on, overpay some players in FA, explore trades, and hit on draft pick. Fair or not the NFL is a production league, and people who don't produce get shipped out.
Yup.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I concur, so long as two of those starters are on the defense (preferably DL and CB) and one or two of them is an impact skill position player.
I think that the Cardinals specifically need an IDL. If they could get Christian Wilkins from the Dolphins as their big free agent target and draft Newton, that could turn IDL into a strength.

Resign Hollywood and draft one of the top WRs. If you had MHJ/Keon Coleman/Rome Odunze to go with Hollywood, Wilson, Rondale, and McBride at TE, the Cardinals would have a pretty good skill position core going forward.

At corner, I probably sign a steady veteran and draft a few.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I think that the Cardinals specifically need an IDL. If they could get Christian Wilkins from the Dolphins as their big free agent target and draft Newton, that could turn IDL into a strength.

Resign Hollywood and draft one of the top WRs. If you had MHJ/Keon Coleman/Rome Odunze to go with Hollywood, Wilson, Rondale, and McBride at TE, the Cardinals would have a pretty good skill position core going forward.

At corner, I probably sign a steady veteran and draft a few.
Need an RB and probably two. Don't think you need to go into free agency to get one, but it should be a Day 2 priority.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
is he decent in coverage though? Like truly?
He'll consistently give you about 100 tackles, 1 sack, 1 INT, and 1 forced fumble.

He's a very good box safety and decent in coverage. He just doesn't make enough plays to justify paying him as one of the best safeties in the NFL. The age/size thing has to factor into the equation as well

Outerlimits

Veteran
Reaction score
He will get more than that short timeframe I imagine. Especially if Kyler looks awful when he returns and we are having to once again start over at QB.(which I hope isn't the case)

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I think if the Cardinals can get three good starters out of the draft, three good starters in free agency, the team will be competitive again.
Regarding the draft ..I'm happy if the goal is to have 1 starter from day one...1 pick who becomes a starter during season one...and 1 pick who develops into a starter by week 1 of season two...the rest of the picks need to be quality (hopefully) depth and rotation guys...and if you develop any more starters, that's just a bonus.