Can McCown have a Drew Brees type year??

AzWins23

Reaction score
Cardinals | Could McCown Win the Starting Job? - from www.KFFL.com
Fri, 20 May 2005 18:13:39 -0700

Adam Schefter, reports for NFL.com, some members of the Arizona Cardinals organization feel QB Josh McCown could wind up beating out QB Kurt Warner for the starting quarterback job. After watching the players through the early part of offseason drills, some believe McCown's determination and talents will prevail over Warner's abilities.

It kinda seems like the same thing what happened in SanDiego...

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
I wouldnt rule it out

Last year at this time, I bet you could put in one small room the number of San Diego fans who thought that Drew Brees was the answer, much less a Pro Bowl caliber performer.

BigRedFan

Registered
Reaction score
The Chargers' year was nothing short of a miracle. I would highly doubt anything similar from McNown. Improvement, yes but not of that magnitude.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
'Some members of the organization' equals NOT Denny Green.

Relying on raw ability versus real ability is a stupid thing to do. Just ask the Chargers. Not talking about the Brees/Rivers situation. Think back to another QB they had with tons of raw ability. Yeah. That's right. McCown's just not a crybaby.

BigRedMO

Registered
Reaction score
Hell no. McCown was the most clueless looking QB I had seen in a long time that got so many starts. He does not have the tools to complete passes over 10 yards on a consistent basis. I have my doubts about Warner too. Someday when this team has a real QB again to make real comparisons of what an NFL QB can do people will look back at Mccown and probably Warner and wonder what the team ever saw in them.

sundevil81

Veteran
Reaction score
no, because he doesn't have brees like talent, where was he in the heisman race again?

Codeofhammurabi

Cards Fan Since 1971
Reaction score
Warner is the starter, and McCown will only see the field if Warner gets injured.

DieHardCardFan

Dallas 2011
Reaction score
BigRedFan said:
The Chargers' year was nothing short of a miracle. I would highly doubt anything similar from McNown. Improvement, yes but not of that magnitude.

Good thing McNown doesnt play for us!

Toro

Registered
Reaction score
Did McCown really have a chance? He was the starter in camp last summer whose starting trio of receivers (Boldin, Fitz, Johnson) all sat with injuries. Not every good QB comes in and is a star from the start. I saw alot of things he was doing that I liked. I also saw some things that he did not do well.

I feel that he will be a much improved QB in 2005 after the experience he got last year and the film training he is getting right now with Kurt Warner.

I also think McCown got the shaft with a offensive coordinator who was way over his head (Alex Wood).

Josh may not get a chance to the opening day starter but I would bet good money thay he will be impressive when he gets on the field in preseason or due to injury to Warner.

CardFan67

Don't touch my tail!
Reaction score
I think this will come true only if Brees had a year of riding pine that they are comparing it to...

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Not a chance in hell. I would be shocked to see McCown start anywhere for the rest of his career. He's always been considered a "practice warrior". Unfortunately, it doesn't translate into games...

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
swd1974 said:

There's about 12 million in "dead money" that shows that Green will simply do what is best for the team, and should McCown outplay the competition in camp and the preseason... he'll start... and then the :biglaugh: will be on you.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can bats fly out of my arse? Can Flop Nowinski make a last minue shot?

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Mulli808 said:
Can bats fly out of my arse? Can Flop Nowinski make a last minue shot?

Waiting for the answer. Especially to your first question. :D

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
I think McCown clearly has the physical tools.

I don't think they used him very well last year. Why all the bootlegging and moving pockets in the preseason and then only run stright drop back in the regular season.

McCown mobility could have been a weapon for the cards last year but they never used it. At least put the fear of it into the opponents defense.

As for this year:
Could happen but it is doubtful.

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
Both McCown and Warner will have a chance to be the starter. It's Warner's job to lose and competition in training camp is a great thing. Isn't that what we all wanted?

If McCown is the better QB, he will be the starter. Since when did Denny automatically go with the guy who's supposed to start (Shelton, Starks, Dexter Jackson, etc.)?

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
jstadvl said:
there sure won't be any moving pockets with Warner!

No, there won't be. But, I was a little encouraged to see him be lighter and quicker on his feet than I expected at Fan Fest. Of course, that might be because Navarre was moving around like he was busting dirt clods with every step.

CronosCard

Veteran
Reaction score
"..And in this corner.."

C'Mon Shecter!!
and do any of you McClowns remember the difference between having tremendous physical numbers...and turning them into QB FOOTBALL skills? The kid is a damn good athlete, I'll grant you McClowns that, but the "Members of the Cardinal's organization" Shecter's article talks about are the window washerman :thumbup: , and the carpet steamcleaner man ;) .
BigRedMo- you know where this stems from.. All of us diehard Cardinals' fans[I feel embarrassed saying that, since while itis the truth, for me, I wanted an expansion team, BUT since 1988I'veBledCardinalRed like the best of you.] I have been a CardinalBleeder 17+- years but alot of the gentlemen and ladies I presume on this board have been true most or all of their lives.. It's why I like this posting board so much. I digress.. But us Die Hards want so desperately for McCown to succeed as the underdog as we want the Cardinals to succeed... :notworthy
Anywhooo, Stout hits it right in the Frickin' GRILL when he says that raw ability can not translate proportionately to FOOTBALL ABILITY, FB instincts/smarts, and some of the other things Warner just "has", because, McClowns, as he so vividly exhibited repeatedly last year, Josh just does not have them..
No disrespect, but I believe Josh McCown will be a valuable backup QB/injury starter this year, but will never lead Dennis Green/Coach Rowan's offense to where it will reside in the near future, and for years to come..By the way, the azcardinals.com interview with Coach Rowan-read it McClowns, you will see we need far more than Josh McCown has to offer, and I'm afraid, more than the 2005 Kurt Warner has to offer as well to QB us into the second decade of the 21st century.
That would make a good thread.. Will Green pursue a current player, or look to the draft to find his franchise QB? He made do without a "franchise" QB until Culpepper, how might HE have thrived in DG/KR's offensive philosophy described in today's article by Coach Rowan.. :wave:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan