Cap - Jureki

AntSports Steve

Cardinals Future GM
Reaction score
Jureki, it appears that ESPN is finally giving football fans what they need, teams updated cap number.

This page has been updated several times. They are currently have the salary cap figures updated to March 4th. It seems that as teams make moves, this page will update.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=1510617

Just a reminder to everyone, when a team tenders a player, the tender counts against the cap right away, so the current Card cap number of $15.8 million under does count all the RFA.

The 2002 Cardinal Rookie pool : $3,750,000
The 2003 Cardinal Rookie pool : $3,955,832

So the 2004 Cardinal Rookie Pool should be about $4.5? The 2003 had the 8th pick? and now the 3rd. Just say $5M for the rookie pool to be easier, so the Cards have $10.8M to use after free agents.

Also, it is possible that when teams sign their RFA, they can actually save cap space if they structure the contract correct. So, if the Cards really wanted to field a good team, they could go out and get quite a few players. It just depends on how much you want to work the cap.

For the record, the Cards for the last 3 years have pushed salary into the current year when given a choice. They rarely if ever tried to push salary into future years. I expect no different this year as they are not a team who is in position to start "mortgaging the future" to win. First they have got to win.

Last edited:

MadRob

Rookie
Reaction score
I think I've been hiding under a rock...

Can someone tell me how teams like Oakland and Tennessee went from so far over three days ago to so far under now???

spanky1

Reaction score
Originally posted by MadRob
I think I've been hiding under a rock...

Can someone tell me how teams like Oakland and Tennessee went from so far over three days ago to so far under now???

I'm with you......I just don't get it either.

Look at Washington.....$10.2MM under......and they've been spending money over the last week like a hooker on payday.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
I know the date says updated march 4th but Those numbers are pre March 3rd FA signings because the league offices take a few days for contracts to be offical and accepted by the league office. Plus the Trade details and contracts of the trades take a few days to be official as well according to the league office.

That is why it looks like Washington, Houston, Chi, and Oak look to have more cap space then they realy do.

So those numbers at the site listed above are only correct as of the end of March 2nd after player restrucutres, cuts, and RFA tenders.

MadRob

Rookie
Reaction score
I'm just curious how before even a single free agent was signed how the Titans on March 1st were at approx. $14 Mil over and the Raiders also over, but now this shows the Raiders at approx. $6 mil under, as are the Titans under....

Did each team cut $15 mil in contracts in the last week???

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
How does our cap fall from 19 mill plus to 15 mill when all we signed was lorenzo diamond and two no namers a few days ago that can't total for all three be more than 1 million if that?

Are you sure the 15 mill isn't counting the rookie pool, that would seem a little more accurate

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Originally posted by CardsFan88
How does our cap fall from 19 mill plus to 15 mill when all we signed was lorenzo diamond and two no namers a few days ago that can't total for all three be more than 1 million if that?

Are you sure the 15 mill isn't counting the rookie pool, that would seem a little more accurate

The list also takes into account the RFA tenders that were given. The players havent signed on the dotted line yet but we are still liable for the tender amounts.

Edit - We are spending about 3,252,000 on our RFA's.

Last edited:

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Its really about 29 mill because they resigned TE Jim Kleinsasser and its not on the books yet.

But ya, still 29 mill. is just crazy. Thats why fans in Minny are even more pissed off then us.