Cardinals 53 Man Roster V 3.0

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
These predictions are based on comments that BA has made, from camp reports, from observations our fellow ASFNers have made at practices and from the practice tapes. As BA said, "don't make too much out of the current depth chart." Yes. Depth charts this time of year are very misleading.

QB (2): 3-Palmer; 5-Stanton.

Many teams, like the Patriots for example, don't carry a #3 QB on the 53 man roster---you only keep a #3 if he is one of your best 53 players. In the Cardinals' case, neither 14-Ryan Lindley nor 6-Caleb TerBush is even close to being one of the top 53 players. Past coaches didn't like to keep a QB on the practice squad. BA will---unless he picks up a QB off waivers or signs a veteran like Charlie Batch for insurance. But for now---it's 2 QBs and a QB TBD for the practice squad.

RB (4): 28-Mendenhall; 30-Taylor; 38-Ellington; 29-Smith.

BA has said he could even keep 5 RBs---but he really can't afford to keep 5 RBs at the expense of weakening the depth at other positions. The thing is too that BA likes a workhorse RB, which means that Mendenhall will likely get the vast majority of the snaps. That being the case, there's even less need to keep 5 RBs. Last time I had BA keeping three---but BA has been raving about Alfonso Smith and Smith does bring ST value, thus right now, his chances are pretty good. As for 34-Ryan Williams, like BA said, time is running out. The question may be as to whether Williams can show enough later in the pre-season to make him a viable trade chip...or to make the coaches have to deliberate long and hard about whether to keep Williams or Smith. Even then it appears Smith is the better fit.

TE (4): 84-Housler; 83-Sperry; 81-Dray; 86-Jefferson.

BA has raved about Housler and Sperry, while calling Dray "dependable." Jefferson has too much athletic talent to ignore. The biggest question mark is
87-Jeff King. The Cardinals had a rough time with oft-injured veteran Todd Heap last year---who gobbled up a roster spot and didn't play on Sundays. King has been ailing---everyone likes him, so what I think they might do is place him on the IR, try to get him back to 100% and then activate him for the second half of the season. King did practice yesterday---so maybe he will hold up. But that seems doubtful based on the past couple of years. Sperry has been injured too---but the way BA has raved about him suggests that when Sperry recovers in a week or two's time, he will solidify his spot on the roster. Will be interesting to see is 46-Mickey Shuler can make a move.

OL (9): 75-Brown; 61-Cooper; 63-Sendlein; 74-Fanaika; 65-Winston; 76-Potter; 73-Rachal; 78-Watford; 70-Massie.

The biggest question mark obviously is Daryn Colledge who has nerve damage in his leg. Colledge is coming off a poor season, which doesn't help matters. Right now---the guess is that he is still on the outside looking in, especially since Fanaika has been doing a very good job and has been drawing praice from BA and the coaches. Little has been said about 64-Senio Kelemete and let's face it---the fact that Fanaika, a converted tackle, was the immediate choice over Kelemete does not speak well to his ranking with the coaches. Now---if Kelemete surprises the coaches when they break down the tapes the next few weeks, then he could beat out Rachal. But, at this point, it doesn't look like that is going to happen. The coaches may wind up placing Colledge on the IR---same as King.

WR (6): 11-Fitzgerald; 15-Floyd; 12-Roberts; 13-Brown; 89-Hawkins; 10-Gill.

I still think Gill is going to make this football team---and will show up well in the last two pre-season games. So might 17-LaRon Byrd, who received props from Carson Palmer before suffering a concussion. All the other buzz has been about Juron Brown and Charles Hawkins. To a lesser degree, there has been positive talk about 18-Kerry Taylor and his work in the slot. Thus, the tough decision might well be whether to keep Taylor or Gill. Gill's speed makes the difference. Don't be surprised if 85-Dan Bucker makes his way into the conversation, but he and 7-Tyler Shaw have a very good chance of landing on the PS. And, of course, there is 21-Patrick Peterson and his 15 play package to consider.

NT (2): 92-Williams; 79-Carter.

Thank goodness Williams looks like he is going to be ok. BA has said that he has been playing at a Pro Bowl level in camp. If that is true---man this defense could be dynamic. It is wise to keep Carter at this spot. Hopefully 95-Ricky Lumpkin will be ok, and it will be interesting to see 67-Padric Scott in action. Lumpkin has been making strides and Scott would at least appear to be a lock for the PS.

DE (4): 90-Dockett; 93-Campbell; 98-Rucker; 96-Talley.

This looks to be a highly disruptive and athletic quartet. Good to see that BA & TB plan to keep these players fresh by rotating them all in various spots in the base defense and in the 4 man pass rush.

ILB (4): 54-Brinkley; 55-Dansby; 51-Minter; 56-Walker.

Again what a solid quartet this is, made even more explosive when 58-Daryl Washington returns.

OLB (5): 94-Acho; 97-Alexander; 53-Abraham; 91-Shaughnessy; 57-Okafor.

Been hearing very good reports on all of the these hybrid 34 OLB/43 DEs. Abraham is the designated RDE in the 4 man rush and Shaughnessy can play anywhere on the front seven, including nose tackle. The mixing and matching that Todd Bowles will be able to do is very intriguing. One player who could make a good push is 59-Zach Nash. The coaches may wind up having to pick between Nash and Ronald Talley (because Shaughnessy and Carter can play DE). Nash is good on STs, which could be a factor.

CB (6): 21-Peterson; 25-Powers; 20-Cason; 35-Arenas; 31-Bethel; 23-Fleming.

Again, the mixing and matching ability this groups gives Todd Bowles is very intriguing. Because there is such quality depth here, it will enable BA to use Patrick Peterson on offense as much as he would like. if Peterson has to take a breather for just a snap or two every now and then on defense, the talent here makes that possible. Keeping Fleming and continuing to push him along would be wise, especially seeing as Cason and Arenas are free agents next year. The player who might challenge Fleming for that roster spot is 22-Bryan McCann. McCann is an excellent ST player and a cagy man to man defender. 43-Ronnie Yell and 42 Josh Hill have a good chance to make the PS.

S (4): 37-Bell; 49-Johnson; 32-Mathieu; 27-Amaya.

Should be very interesting to see this safety group in action. Bell has been strong in defensing the run. Johnson has had a strong camp at FS thus far. Mathieu has been all over the field making plays. And Amaya is a very good ST player. The player who could make a splash here is 26-Curtis Taylor. He's been making some good plays in camp. If Taylor steps up this pre-season he could supplant Amaya, or the team could decide to keep 5 CBs instead of 6. Either way it is most likely the Cardinals will keep 10 DBs. The two rookie Sooners 36-Tony Jefferson and 41-Javon Harris have been very quiet in camp thus far. That needs to change if they are going to challenge for a roster spot or a spot on the PS.

ST (3): 4-Feely; 9-Zastudil; 82-Leach.

The only real question here is whether 80-Alex Gottlieb could challenge Leach for the LS spot. Gottlieb has been injured, but just returned to practice yesterday. Leach has been so consistently reliable and good that it would take a monumental effort from Gottlieb to challenge him.

PUP (1): 48-Giordino.

Dan Giordino has pass rushing ability if and when he can come off the PUP.

SUS (1): 58-Washington.

Daryl Washington may see extended action during the pre-season. BA has been very stern with him and rightfully so. Washington needs a big year on and off the field to re-establish his good standing on the team and in the community.

Last 5 OUT:

G Colledge
TE King
RB Williams
OLB Nash
CB McCann

Second to Last 5 Out:

S Taylor
WR Taylor
WR Bryd
G Kelemete
C/G Gibson

Your thoughts? Am I missing or overlooking anyone?

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
King will make the team. Gill will not. Washington counts toward the 53 even while suspended I believe.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
King will make the team. Gill will not. Washington counts toward the 53 even while suspended I believe.

I think you are correct on Washington. Gill might end up on the PS. His injury will prevent him from showing enought to make the roster.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Lindley may not available for the practice squad. TerBush hasn't impressed anyone at camp or minicamp.

Also, Chilo Rachal is a terrible player. It should speak volumes that the Cards have preferred an undrafted free agent to that toadstool.

LOL @ Robert Gill. Can't make the club in the tub, and Gill's spent more time in the tub than almost anyone.

I think Jamell Flemming is more on the bubble than people think. He's buried on the depth chart right now, and he didn't make much of an impression on special teams last year.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good stuff.

As Washington is in, I say Tally out.

College in, Rachal out.

Williams in, Smith out.

And, I expect waiver claims to be added.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
HOLY FREDDIE JONES! Will this franchise ever be able to have quality depth at RB and TE at the same time?

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good stuff.

As Washington is in, I say Tally out.

College in, Rachal out.

Williams in, Smith out.

And, I expect waiver claims to be added.

College yes, missed that one. Williams over smith is very doubtful at this point. Every time williams runs full speed he gets hurt.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Mitch, agree with most of your 'take'. Where I disagree:
1. Byrd over Gill.
2. Colledge over Fanaika.
3. King over Sperry.
4. Scott over Talley.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Mitch, agree with most of your 'take'. Where I disagree:
1. Byrd over Gill.
2. Colledge over Fanaika.
3. King over Sperry.
4. Scott over Talley.

I think BA favors speed over size---which is one of the main reason why he is playing Patrick Peterson some on offense.

I stlll think, Garth, that the trio of Fitz, Floyd and Roberts doesn't play as quick and fast or separate as early as BA would like. I think because of that BA is going to compliment those three with the three fastest, quickest players...which appear to be Juron Brown, Robert Gill and Charles Hawkins. Juron Brown has size too.

Fanaika and Sperry have drawn raves from BA, at least thus far.

Scott has been quiet this far. It will be interesting to watch him vs. GB.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think BA favors speed over size---which is one of the main reason why he is playing Patrick Peterson some on offense.

I stlll think, Garth, that the trio of Fitz, Floyd and Roberts doesn't play as quick and fast or separate as early as BA would like. I think because of that BA is going to compliment those three with the three fastest, quickest players...which appear to be Juron Brown, Robert Gill and Charles Hawkins. Juron Brown has size too.

Fanaika and Sperry have drawn raves from BA, at least thus far.

Scott has been quiet this far. It will be interesting to watch him vs. GB.

Has BA been impressed with gills speed jumping in and out of the cold tub? because other than that he is going to need a massive preseason performance to even be considered.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
This seems about as good a place as any to link to a great article/quote:

Every camp has its crush object. The beat writers take notice, the coach is prompted to say nice things, the youngster becomes a storyline during the team-produced, regional preseason game telecast. The infatuation reaches a critical mass, but like any crush, it has a high burn rate. Damaris Johnson caught Philadelphia's collective eye last year, a 175-pound blow dart, whistling down the field in passing drills and on punt returns. Johnson had his moments during the regular season, but he's just another returned and depth receiver now; in all the fuss about the Eagles receiving corps, his name rarely comes up as anything but a mid-rung role player. Griffin, Gates and Baxter probably will get filed in the same bin eventually, but right now, in the flush of Baxtermania, I must fight the urge to pencil him in to 11 Pro Bowls.

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/55944434/

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't see the Cardinals keeping 6 WRs. Especially with how much time PP has been seeing on offense. The only way they keep 6 is if the sixth guy is a special teams fenom.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kerry Taylor is now the #4 WR on the depth chart and LaRon Byrd has been released.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
R.I.P. Mini-Fitz. You join Steven "Next Randy Moss" Williams on the ridiculous comparison stack of history.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Mitch, you make a good argument about the WR's and were right on about Byrd. I thought his 'experience' would save him. I don't understand the addition of two centers, this late. Anyone have ideas about this?

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mitch, you make a good argument about the WR's and were right on about Byrd. I thought his 'experience' would save him. I don't understand the addition of two centers, this late. Anyone have ideas about this?

Re: centres

We have a lot of camp to come and 4 games before the regular season.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Arians might go into season with two QBs

The Cardinals had way too many quarterbacks last year.

This year, they may keep just two.

Cards coach Bruce Arians said he’d be willing to go into the season with just Carson Palmer and Drew Stanton, saying third-stringer Ryan Lindley was a more complicated decision.

“If it comes down to Ryan and another guy at another position, we’ll determine what’s more valuable to our football team at that time,” Arians said, via Kent Somers of the Arizona Republic.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Paul Fanaika taking advantage of opportunity

So far, guard Paul Fanaika has had all his clothes on. Filling in at right guard while starter Daryn Colledge deals with a leg injury, Fanaika has opened some eyes through the first week of training camp.

“He’s done a great job with his exposure,” Arians said. “He’s played extremely solid. I can’t say enough what he has done with his chance.”

It’s not as if the Cardinals are without other options to fill that spot, either. Behind Fanaika on the current depth chart are the likes of Chilo Rachal, a six-year veteran, and the team’s 2013 fourth-round pick, Earl Watford.

When asked whether Fanaika could even challenge Colledge, Arians suggested he could.

“I think any time you get the exposure he’s gotten and do that well with it, the guy behind you that’s hurt, he needs to get back out there,” Arians said.
Link

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I can't see the Cardinals keeping 6 WRs. Especially with how much time PP has been seeing on offense. The only way they keep 6 is if the sixth guy is a special teams fenom.

I agree. 4th,5th WR isn't really that important anyway. They've averaged about 1.6 receptions per game over the last 3 seasons. Stuckey and Sampson only had 7 total receptions combined in 2011. Doucet had 28 last year and Byrd 1.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score

I think BA wants to groom a young center on the PS.

The 2nd team center right now is versatile veteran Mike Gibson.

But, is Gibson one of the 8-9 keepers that BA says he already knows?

One wouldn't think so, although, of the 8-9 keepers, who plays center if Sendlein goes out?

Did I hear that Colledge was practicing snaps?

BA has to figure the backup plan for Sendlein asap...or decide to keep Gibson.

Can Chilo Rachal play center? Fanaika? Kelemete?

It would be too much to ask Jonathan Cooper to learn the center position at this point.

Gibson is not eligible for the PS...

Regardless, with adding two rookie centers, BA hopes to find a sleeper for the PS in Deveric Gallington, Kyle Quinn or Adam Bice (who has been the 3rd team rookie center thus far). None of those guys have a shot of making the roster.