Cardinals 53 Man Roster V 3.0

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Daryl Washington still trying to get suspension reduced

Cardinals linebacker Daryl Washington would prefer not to be suspended for the first four games of the regular season.

That’s leading him to take a trip to New York next Monday to meet with officials from the NFL in hopes of getting the ban reduced or wiped out completely. Washington told Craig Morgan of FOXSportsArizona.com that while his preference is to have no suspension whatsoever, but that he’d be satisfied if it were chopped down to two games.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I think BA wants to groom a young center on the PS.

The 2nd team center right now is versatile veteran Mike Gibson.

But, is Gibson one of the 8-9 keepers that BA says he already knows?

One wouldn't think so, although, of the 8-9 keepers, who plays center if Sendlein goes out?

Did I hear that Colledge was practicing snaps?

BA has to figure the backup plan for Sendlein asap...or decide to keep Gibson.

Can Chilo Rachal play center? Fanaika? Kelemete?

It would be too much to ask Jonathan Cooper to learn the center position at this point.

Gibson is not eligible for the PS...

Regardless, with adding two rookie centers, BA hopes to find a sleeper for the PS in Deveric Gallington, Kyle Quinn or Adam Bice (who has been the 3rd team rookie center thus far). None of those guys have a shot of making the roster.

If Jonathan Cooper is the player the Cardinals believe him to be, then I would hope he ends up at center sooner rather than later.

If Cooper has the athletic ability to pull from the center position, then he is even more valuable in the middle of the line, IMO.

It all depends on if he can snap the ball, and his ability to read defenses.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If Jonathan Cooper is the player the Cardinals believe him to be, then I would hope he ends up at center sooner rather than later.

If Cooper has the athletic ability to pull from the center position, then he is even more valuable in the middle of the line, IMO.

I'm torn on this. No one drafts a C in the top ten of the draft. I actually think the C is more important than G's so that's why I could be on board with Cooper moving to C.

Second issue is that we want the 5 best playing and I think Sendlein is better or equal to College and definitely better than any other OG on the roster not named Cooper.

Now if Massie/Potter/Winston can slide down to G we can think about Coop at C.

Jay Cardinal

Die Hard Cardinals Fan
Reaction score
Is Laron Byrd still on the team? Pretty sure he suffered an injury then was cut on August 6. It's too bad the kid showed a lot of preseason ability in the past. Kind of like Max Hall where he shined more brightly in the preseason than then struggled in the regular season.

I don't know about leaving Colledge off the roster. If the nerve damage has affected his ability to play then you might have to. Otherwise I think Cooper's development would be helped by someone with Colledge's experience.

Other than those two, I think you filled in the roster very well!

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
While my first reaction is to say no way to Cooper becoming a center---what's curious to me is how much importance BA may place in the center position.

The reason is---it's a position that the Steelers have always placed premium emphasis on---from the days of D. Dawson to now M. Pouncey who has been an All-Pro each of his first three years in the league.

Cooper and Pouncey have very similar size and skill sets.

Pouncey was a 1st rounder---not a top 10 pick---but certainly worthy of a top 10 pick.

Thus, it would not surprise me if Cooper is moved to center at some point, even perhaps at some point this season.

The question would be who could play well at LG---and that may well depend on how good Chilo Rachal looks this pre-season.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Is Laron Byrd still on the team? Pretty sure he suffered an injury then was cut on August 6. It's too bad the kid showed a lot of preseason ability in the past. Kind of like Max Hall where he shined more brightly in the preseason than then struggled in the regular season.

I don't know about leaving Colledge off the roster. If the nerve damage has affected his ability to play then you might have to. Otherwise I think Cooper's development would be helped by someone with Colledge's experience.

Other than those two, I think you filled in the roster very well!

Jay, if Colledge's leg issue persists, I could see the Cardinals placing him on IR, getting him healed up and activating him later in the season. If it appears his leg issue is career threatening then the Cardinals might try to reach a settlement with him.

LaRon Byrd appears to be a solid possession WR. But, he doesn't stretch the field and that is a concern in a system that is predicated on the vertical passing game.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
theyve mentioned multiple times he should be back soon, dont see any way it is career threatening or even something that would have a temporary IR designation

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

I know that CBus and others have asserted that teams pull their center "all the time", but I'd like to see some better evidence that's the case. It doesn't make sense from a strategic perspective; the whole point of pulling from one side of the line to the other is to create a numbers mismatch on the play side If you leave two OL on one side of the ball, and two OL on the other side, there's no advantage.

Just like the speculation that Levi Brown would be an all-pro guard, the only place I've heard that center might be Cooper's "best position" is here.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I know that CBus and others have asserted that teams pull their center "all the time", but I'd like to see some better evidence that's the case. It doesn't make sense from a strategic perspective; the whole point of pulling from one side of the line to the other is to create a numbers mismatch on the play side If you leave two OL on one side of the ball, and two OL on the other side, there's no advantage.

Just like the speculation that Levi Brown would be an all-pro guard, the only place I've heard that center might be Cooper's "best position" is here.

So true. We didn't draft a centre at this point in his career.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

No doubt.

I am in 100% speculation mode with the whole center position. I have stated that from the beginning. That would be the reason for all the "if's".

IF Cooper is athletic as they say, IF Cooper is as smart as they say, then I cannot see why moving him to the center position is a bad move.

As for pulling the center, it is effective, if and only if your center is that much more athletic than a normal line man.

If your center can beat the ILB to the spot, or get to the edge quick enough then you are playing the numbers game because he is getting to where a guard can normally go.

Dermonti Dawson was known for this, that I know you can look up.

I would imagine it is a situation where it may be easier to down block on a NT, and pull your center then having your center try to cut off the NT and let your guard pull.

I believe the center for the Seahawks is used in a similar fashion (can't remember his name tho).

Needless to say, again, pure speculation. I would be fine and dandy with an All-Pro guard. Yet, my yearning for a center comes from never really seeing the Cardinals with a good center.

No offense to Jason Starkey

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Needless to say, again, pure speculation. I would be fine and dandy with an All-Pro guard. Yet, my yearning for a center comes from never really seeing the Cardinals with a good center.

Well that's because you can't see straight. I mean you couldn't even find the half time meet standing 100 feet away. Hook 'em :D

If you want to win Center is a position for veterans not rookies.

Super Bowl winning centers.

2002 Jeff Christy 10th season. Drafted by the Cards in 4th round '92. Started for 9 years in Minnesota and Tampa. :(

2005 Jeff Hartings 10th season

New England doesn't count they are the outlier to everything related to the NFL. But Dan Koppen has been a pretty good NFL center.

2006 Jeff Saturday 8th season
2007 Shaun O'Hara 8th season
2008 Justin Hartwig 7th season
2009 Jonathan Goodwin 8th season
2010 Scott Wells 7th season
2011 David Baas 7th season
2012 Matt Birk 14th season

And the next two years will be Sendlein's 7th and 8th NFL seasons!!!! Super Bowl Championship here we come.

Last edited:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
No doubt.

I am in 100% speculation mode with the whole center position. I have stated that from the beginning. That would be the reason for all the "if's".

IF Cooper is athletic as they say, IF Cooper is as smart as they say, then I cannot see why moving him to the center position is a bad move.

As for pulling the center, it is effective, if and only if your center is that much more athletic than a normal line man.

If your center can beat the ILB to the spot, or get to the edge quick enough then you are playing the numbers game because he is getting to where a guard can normally go.

Dermonti Dawson was known for this, that I know you can look up.

I would imagine it is a situation where it may be easier to down block on a NT, and pull your center then having your center try to cut off the NT and let your guard pull.

I believe the center for the Seahawks is used in a similar fashion (can't remember his name tho).

No offense to Jason Starkey

This was interesting enough for me to check it out. Apparently there are times when you pull a center, but it's usually a call made on the play between the guard and the center:

http://smartfootball.com/run-game/outside-zone-variant-the-pin-and-pull

If the center cannot reach the nose he will make a “me” call to the strong guard telling him to block the nose and the center will pull to block the “Mike.” The strongside guard blocks down and to disallow the noseguard from penetrating. The strong tackle and tight-end will “Tex” as described above.

http://smartfootball.blogspot.com/2005/11/colts-stretch-play.html

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
This was interesting enough for me to check it out. Apparently there are times when you pull a center, but it's usually a call made on the play between the guard and the center:

http://smartfootball.com/run-game/outside-zone-variant-the-pin-and-pull

http://smartfootball.blogspot.com/2005/11/colts-stretch-play.html

Also, if you have a really athletic backside OG vs an even front, the backside OG can cut the 1DT which can allow the C to pull, play side OG to reach to the 3DT, and the TE/OT combo block on the DE on sweep and toss plays.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Also, if you have a really athletic backside OG vs an even front, the backside OG can cut the 1DT which can allow the C to pull, play side OG to reach to the 3DT, and the TE/OT combo block on the DE on sweep and toss plays.

I was told that there would be no math.