Cardinals' 53 Man V. 2.0 (KC 34 AZ 19)

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
QB (3):

3-Carson Palmer—crisp, productive performance on opening TD drive (4/4, 79 yds.)

5-Drew Stanton—non factor (0-3) in this game, was way outplayed by Chiefs’ #2 QB, Chase Daniel

6-Logan Thomas—played impressively (9/15, 105, 0/1), bought time and scramble yards with his feet, threw some picture perfect passes from pocket and off play action, had dropped passes on int. and what should have been a TD—made one of the best tackle pursuits and tackles of the night—wonder if the coaches could create a role for him as a situational TE and/or edge rusher, as he is clearly one of the best athletes on the team.

1st Man Out:

1-Phil Sims—nifty feet and escapability, nice touch on passes, not sure if the sidearm

deliveries hurt or help him—good TD drive at end of game.

RB (4):

38-Andre Ellington—dynamic in the slot, not as much at RB, although he did punch in a TD, a few plays after getting caught from behind on a brilliant catch and run between defenders.

33-Kerwynn Williams—brings aggressive running style and inside the tackles toughness.

39-Robert Hughes—was used this game as the power RB—had runs of 4, 4, 7, 3 yards, but got stuffed a few times and incurred a 4 yard loss on a failed sweep play—had a 13 yard reception out of the backfield and made a key block on the edge LB on the Ellington TD.

31-David Johnson—DNP due to lingering injury and is one of the reasons why Chris Johnson is working out for the team today.

1st Man Out:

30-Stepfan Taylor—still good on STs, but it’s not a good sign that Hughes was featured as the power RB and that Taylor only got one carry.

OL (8):

68-Jared Veldheer—needs to sustain blocks on running plays to match his prowess as a pass protector.

76-Mike Iupati—his power pull opened the hole for Ellington’s TD. Was solid in pass pro.

53-A.Q. Shipley—got off the ball well on the Ellington TD, which made for a clean crisp pull by Iupati. Solid first start.

61-Jonathan Cooper—needs to get better inside leverage on the DT, but looks improved.

74-D.J. Humphries—played with a nasty streak and good athleticism. Good first game; did a very good job of steering DEs wide of the QB.

63-Lyle Sendlein—looked a little rusty, but held up well at the point of attack. Needs to do a better job of slipping off blocks to get to the second level.

78-Earl Watford
—needs to engage his man faster and sustain his blocks, but has good feet and movement.

79-Bradley Sowell—is playing well; looks like his technique has improved.

Suspended:

70-Bobby Massie—good first game. Hopefully he wins his appeal and has his 3 game suspension reduced.

1st Man Out:

62-Ted Larsen—with Sendlein back in the mix and Watford showing improvement, Larsen is now on the bubble. A holding call didn’t help his cause.

Sleeper:

71-Anthony Steen—very physical in the running game both at guard and center. Could make a run at the C/G swing spot.

TE (4):

85-Darren Fells—the wrinkle of the night was lining him up in the shotgun backfield opposite Ellington on Ellington’s 57 yard catch. They doubled the RDT with Iupati and Shipley and doubled the LDT with Cooper and Fells (who then ran a delay route) to ensure a clean inside pocket for Palmer. Fells also had a good block on the Ellington TD.

87-Troy Niklas—blocked fairly well in limited action.

80-Ifeanyi Momah—veteran combine steal as pass catching TE. Will get some flak for his holding penalty. Good game—made presence felt throughout (3/31 yds.).

84-Jermain Gresham—has begun to make strides in practice.

1st Man Out:

83-Gerald Christian—had a very good 13 yard catch from Thomas off play action. Ron Wolfley talking about BA keeping 5 TEs, but that isn’t likely to happen with this talented roster. With all the TEs getting injured around the NFL, BA&SK may have to think twice about waiving a young talent like Christian, but is it wise to keep 5 TEs at the expense of weakening the depth at another position?

WR (6):

11-Larry Fitzgerald—glad to see they weren’t throwing Fitz into harm’s way. They really need to keep him fresh and healthy.

12-John Brown—exciting start for him as CP’s go-to speed WR.

15-Michael Floyd—with the timetable on his return uncertain, it is most likely and necessary that BA&SK will keep 6 WRs.

13-Jaron Brown—had a couple big drops at the end of last year and had a bad one in this game that led to near pick-six. But, he is a deep TD waiting to happen, as he has shown in practice.

14-J.J. Nelson—not a highly productive night beside catching a 3 yard quick slant in the red zone, but Carson Palmer is raving about him and he has been playing super fast and well in practice.

16-Jaxson Shipley—his 21 yard catch from Logan Thomas on a crossing pattern was a thing of beauty, as was his nifty punt return following the safety. Going out on a limb here to tab Shipley over Golden.

1st Man Out:

10-Brittan Golden—had a rough night. Didn’t get PI call he was screaming for, didn’t have any big returns and dropped what should have been a relatively easy TD. However, let’s see how he bounces back this week.

NT (2):

98-Corey Peters—showed up stout and productive at the NT spot last night. teamed with Bucannon on a nice RB stuff for a two yard loss.

69-Xavier Williams—this rookie was outstanding last night, so much so that he looks like a lock to make this crowded roster at defensive line.

1st Man Out:

66-Alameda Ta’amu—he played well, but Williams put on a NT clinic. Ta’amu may have some trade value if he keeps showing up on tape as he did last night.

DE (5):

93-Calais Campbell—the team really needs him to be a beast this year.

92-Frostee Rucker—looks like he’s ready to pick up where he left off last year.

90-Cory Redding—needs to be kept fresh for the season.

95-Rodney Gunter—showed why the team traded up to get him. Looked more like a 1st or 2nd rounder last night, than a 4th.

72-Ed Stinson—looks well conditioned, but needs to finish off his tackles.

1st Man Out:

91-Matt Shaughnessy—had a decent game run stuffing and could be a trade chip for teams needing defensive line help.

ILB (4):

55-Sean Weatherspoon—this game showed how desperate the Cardinals are for Weatherspoon to be healthy, as the ILB unit is not very instinctive or fast in stuffing and covering RBs and TEs.

51-Kevin Minter—is exerting himself as a run stuffer.

54-Kenny Demens—is he fast enough to play WILB? He needs to react much faster to passes in the flats, which his replacement Andrea Kirk struggled with even more so. Demens is a good wrap-up tackler when he reads the play faster.

58-Edwin Jackson—good, physical Pound Cake SILB who can be a solid backup to Minter.

1st Man Out:

56-Glenn Carson—lacks the speed and range to play WILB and is not as physical as Minter and Jackson at SILB.

Sleepers:

48-Alani Fua—has the length and speed to play well at WILB, but he’s raw and needs time to develop.

50-Gabe Martin—he has the speed and range the team needs, but he didn’t play much last night, which was perplexing.

OLB (5):

57-Alex Okafor—Cardinals need a big year from him.

44-Markus Golden—made a nice contain tackle for loss and had some QB pressures. His motor was in full gear.

52-LaMarr Woodley—still gets a push on bull rushes, but needs to disengage his blocker faster.

96-Kareem Martin—nice surprise last night; very physical, good bull rush, excellent near sack on the TEX stunt, plays hard to the whistle, but is he as sudden or quick as it is going to take to contain the likes of Wilson and Kaepernick?

97-Lorenzo Alexander—has been starting; he was very active last night on the edge and in making tackles on STs.

1st Man Out:

47-Shaq Riddick—last night was proof as to how much the Cardinals need better athleticism on the edge. therefore it would be a boon if Riddick or Zack Wagenmann could get healthy and make a splash.

CB (4):

21- Patrick Peterson—slim and fast this year.

25-Jerraud Powers—excels in the slot, not as much on the outside.

28-Justin Bethel—they tried to blow Jeremy Macklin by him on the first play and Bethel played it in textbook fashion. Bethel’s play last night was both fast and physical. Adding his tackling (see how he blew up that one short hitch pass?) to the defense is a significant bonus.

35-Cariel Brooks—the rookie can play (despite having such a short neck—looks like his helmet is sitting on his shoulder pads!)—he has a very good sense of leverage in coverage and forces the run with an eagerness and tenacity that coaches want.

1st Man Out:

46-Jimmy Legree—when he was asked to play in press coverage, he played well, making a nice breakup on an inside slant. But, whenJames Bettcher switched to Cover 3 Zone, Legree was exploited numerous times. Funny but BA at half-time was ripping the

defense for being passive and tentative and was adamant that the Cardinals are a bump and run team, and yet his new in-house DC was playing a steady diet of soft zones. Not a good fit for Legree.

S (5):

20-Deone Bucannon—interesting that one the first snap last night he was lined up at WILB and that when Weatherspoon re-injured his hamstring this week, BA immediately brought up Deone as an option to replace him. Deone was shot out of a cannon when at SS in the box he read run and met Knile Davis for a two yard loss with Corey Peters getting the assist. Bucannon has the speed that the current group of linebackers lack—and while he lacks proto-typical ILB weight, if the front line can keep him clean, he could have a Daryl Washington type impact.

32-Tyrann Mathieu—best tackler and all-puprosen made a big play right out of the gates last night.

26-Rashad Johnson—smart and consistent, seems to improve a little every year.

22-Tony Jefferson—looks very physical and aggressive—could start at SS if Deone is moved inside.

41-Harold Jones-Quartey—had six pop, drive and finish (textbook) tackles in the game and showed very quick reads and instincts.

1st Man Out:

29-Chris Clemons—was injured this week, but has been having a good camp as nickel and dime package safety.

ST (3):

7-Chris Catanzaro—good start, despite one 52 yard attempt that was blocked. Excellent kickoffs.

82-Mike Leach—-on the money honey, per usual.

9-Dave Zastudil—not quite looking himself thus far, but still has the most talent.

1st Man Out:

2-Drew Butler—didn’t fare much better than Zasty, but did a good job holding for Catanzaro.

Keim’s Corner:

* Adding RB Chris Johnson so that BA can use Ellington more in the slot and make the offense even faster seems like a fortuitous move.

* The Cardinals are woefully slow at LB all across the board. Keim has some trade chips, and linebacker has to be the number one, number two and number three three needs right now.

* Adding a proven edge rusher such as Dwight Freeney would be huge at this point.

* Adding an experienced CB through trade or waivers would seem wise, although Cariel Brooks does look promising.

* if Zasty keeps struggling, do you look for another punter or stick with Butler and hope he’s improved?

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Nice work Mitch. My thoughts:

Shaughnessy in, Logan Thomas out - I think with all the talent on the roster, it is just too hard to justify keeping either Thomas or Sims on the 53. Maybe try to get both on the practice squad though?

Chris Johnson over Kerwynn Williams if all goes according to plan.

Golden over Shipley. Jaxson played better last night, but I still think he has a lot of ground to make up.

Larsen over Sowell, until Massie back. But who knows.

Xavier Williams vs Ta'amu could be most difficult choice on the roster.

I would bring in a free agent ILB over Pound Cake.

Legree got burned last night against a good backup QB, but he would still be my #4 corner at this point.

I would put Clemons as 5th safety, especially if Deone needs to spend a lot of time at ILB to makeup for deficiencies at that position.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keim’s Corner:

* Adding RB Chris Johnson so that BA can use Ellington more in the slot and make the offense even faster seems like a fortuitous move.

* The Cardinals are woefully slow at LB all across the board. Keim has some trade chips, and linebacker has to be the number one, number two and number three three needs right now.

* Adding a proven edge rusher such as Dwight Freeney would be huge at this point.

* Adding an experienced CB through trade or waivers would seem wise, although Cariel Brooks does look promising.

* if Zasty keeps struggling, do you look for another punter or stick with Butler and hope he’s improved?

Agree with all the above.

Chris Johnson should really help the RB depth

LBers are very slow. Kirk has no speed at all

Butler is terrible so if Zasty is still injured we need to look elsewhere

Freeney would be a great one year prove it deal if possible

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Golden over Shipley. Jaxson played better last night, but I still think he has a lot of ground to make up.

Shipley looks like the kind of WR that makes the catch when you need it giving the QB confidence throwing his direction. More so than Golden. Only one game so need to see more

Sowell was getting worked last night. Larsen is not much better

Williams played really well last night. Ta'amu needs to step up his game

We need LB help. Ours are way to slow and we will get exposed if Weatherspoon can't play. Minter was not a difference maker nor did he disrupt plays.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
My thought on the OC position. Supposedly, most NFL teams only have seven OL active on Sundays. For that to happen, they need a guy who can play both center AND guard. And it seems that we only have two (Steen and Larson) who fit that description. My guess is that we'll go with Steen, and either Shipley or Sendlein as the starter. So my guess is that BOTH Shipley and Larson will be cut.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Nice work Mitch. My thoughts:

Shaughnessy in, Logan Thomas out - I think with all the talent on the roster, it is just too hard to justify keeping either Thomas or Sims on the 53. Maybe try to get both on the practice squad though?

Chris Johnson over Kerwynn Williams if all goes according to plan.

Legree got burned last night against a good backup QB, but he would still be my #4 corner at this point.

I would put Clemons as 5th safety, especially if Deone needs to spend a lot of time at ILB to makeup for deficiencies at that position.

With the lack of QB depth across the league, and with Logan Thomas being such a good athlete, he would get claimed off waivers---especially if anyone was watching last night's tape. Thomas was impressive.

That said, I think they would like to keep Shaughnessy, but the depth at the position may prohibit it.

BA isn't going to cut Kerwynn Williams. Chris Johnson would be the speed compliment to Ellington that David Johnson was drafted to be. BA was ranting about David Johnson's missed time and sounded like he would put him on the six week IR, rather than wait for him.

It will be interesting to see how Golden bounces back. It would seem he would have a distinct edge over Shipley---but if it's close, why not take the rookie so you can have him for 4 years? The Cardinals offered Shipley one of the more lucrative UDFA contracts---they like him a lot.

Wouldn't you want to keep Sowell until Massie comes back?

Garth---the Cardinals have always considered Sendlein an option as a backup guard if need be. It should come down to him or Larsen for the swing C/G role.

Xavier Williams looked far superior to Ta'amu last night.

Legree wasn't even close in coverage---while Brooks was.

Keeping Clemons has been the plan, imo...so you are right, it would not be a surprise as he is certainly better in coverage at this point than Harold Jones-Quartey.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Shipley looks like the kind of WR that makes the catch when you need it giving the QB confidence throwing his direction. More so than Golden. Only one game so need to see more

Sowell was getting worked last night. Larsen is not much better

Williams played really well last night. Ta'amu needs to step up his game

We need LB help. Ours are way to slow and we will get exposed if Weatherspoon can't play. Minter was not a difference maker nor did he disrupt plays.

I agree about Shipley---he seems like a gamer.

The times I watched Sowell last night, he was playing well and with good technique, steering his rusher wide of the pocket and sustaining blocks in the running game.

Agreed about Williams---I think the coaches liked having Williams and Ta'amu out there in tandem as they did later in the game.

I thought Minter was solid and will be solid in his role as a 1-2 down run stuffer. I like Edwin Jackson in that role too.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Great job Mitch-----------I agree totally about needing to add ILB with the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, trade or pick up options. We can work with nearly everything else on BA's plate, but we need to shore up the pass coverage on the inside and TE's

Take that back, We sure could use Freeney if we can sign him to a one year prove it contract on the edge. That will help some on the ILB cover ability.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I can see a situation in which both Logan and Sims are cut, and as long as they clear waivers. the Cards take one of them on the PS to free up a roster spot for another position e.g. add Chris Johnson w/o cutting one of the above mentioned running backs.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Agree that Golden is the WR on the bubble and Shipley is the guy pushing him.

Unsure how RB will play out. Though they might put David Johnson on the PUP list if he can't find a way to get healthy. Something that teams do with rookies because they aren't ready if they miss camp.

QB-Logan looked worlds better. Makes you think there might be a backup to be developed out of him.

TE is a crapshoot, and is tough to tell who Arians might prefer. Gresham, Niklas, and Fells seem safe.

Massie looked like the worst of the first unit group to me, and Humphries played ok, especially playing through an injury. It will be interesting to see how close the Cardinals see Sowell and Massie to be.

DL is stacked. If the Cards make a move, you would think it would be out of this group.

ILB is awful, and I won't be shocked to see Fua make the roster, and start in nickel packages quickly if Weatherspoon can't stay healthy or the Cards want Buchanon as a S.

OLB looked ok, but I still don't a see an explosive edge player though Okafor, Martin, and Golden all have pretty good size and power.

I liked what I saw from Bethel and Brooks and Legree. I think that is how it ends up.

S seems set.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The soft zone being played in the 2nd-4th quarters looked a whole lot like a typical hapless "prevent" defense. Couldn't stop anything and was misaligned to our players particular strengths. Legree went from looking stout to being completely useless.

Here's a question:

Who should be put on the practice squad? Who has enough value to keep but not so much that they get snatched away?

I think it will include talented players like Gerald Christian, Jimmy Legree, Bradley Sowell if eligible, Kerwynn Williams, and Philip Sims.

TJ

Reaction score
Agree that Golden is the WR on the bubble and Shipley is the guy pushing him.

Unsure how RB will play out. Though they might put David Johnson on the PUP list if he can't find a way to get healthy. Something that teams do with rookies because they aren't ready if they miss camp.

QB-Logan looked worlds better. Makes you think there might be a backup to be developed out of him.

TE is a crapshoot, and is tough to tell who Arians might prefer. Gresham, Niklas, and Fells seem safe.

Massie looked like the worst of the first unit group to me, and Humphries played ok, especially playing through an injury. It will be interesting to see how close the Cardinals see Sowell and Massie to be.

DL is stacked. If the Cards make a move, you would think it would be out of this group.

ILB is awful, and I won't be shocked to see Fua make the roster, and start in nickel packages quickly if Weatherspoon can't stay healthy or the Cards want Buchanon as a S.

OLB looked ok, but I still don't a see an explosive edge player though Okafor, Martin, and Golden all have pretty good size and power.

I liked what I saw from Bethel and Brooks and Legree. I think that is how it ends up.

S seems set.

David Johnson is not eligible for PUP as he's already participated in part of training camp.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
We were able to play Ta'Amu and Williams at the same time, because KC was up 31-10 and 34-10 and were NOT going to pass. If a passing play was a possibility, I don't think two NT's would have been on the field at the same time.

FlaCardFan

Veteran
Reaction score
In my opinion and this might be a surprise to most, I would rather them keep Sims over Thomas. Thomas has already proven over his career that when it comes down to it, BA will never trust him in a meaningful game. I thought Sims looked better then him with great escapability and a good arm (reminded me of a young Michael Vick). I would rather see him as the #3 and maybe move Thomas to TE. I just don't understand why he thinks he has to throw the ball so hard to everyone- he has ABSOLUTELY no touch whatsoever. Let Sims play early next week and see what he can do...I think the jury is still out on this competition if Sims is given the chance with the better players.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We almost all agree that the Dline his super deep and stacked but the Chiefs did run the ball down their throats most of the 2nd half. Is that because our ILBers SUCK, I would say yes. At this point I don't want to cut any of the DLine so I'm not going to get into that now.

I'm also holding off on OLBers, need to see them play so more.

At this point I want Shipley over Golden because he has the better hands and Golden spent too much time arguing with the Refs. We have plenty of others who can replace what he brings to the ST's as well.

Game Day Oline actives:

Veldheer, Iupati, Sendlein, Cooper, DJ,
BU's Watford & Shipley.
Sowell and Massie and I reserve the right to change my mind on Sowell.

I agree that we won't keep 5 TE's, Gerald Christian will probably be able to slide onto the PS.

We need to sign Chris Johnson because Juke will need plenty of rest, D Johnson can't be counted on at this point and the rest can be cut and then picked back up later on put on the PS, none of them are special.

I expect BASK to keep 5 Safeties because HB will be used at CB some and Bucannon with be used a ton at ILBer. Not sure who the 5th will be at this point, need to see more game time from them.

LT has too much athleticism and arm talent to give up on him. Unless he isn't putting in the time in the film room or has some other issue we don't know about then he has to be kept.

I think a couple of youngins will need to come down with "injuries" after the 3rd preseason game so they can be stashed on IR.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
Nice write up Mitch! The biggest thing I got from this game was we have three guards. Cooper looks like he will be a solid starter and Watford was very solid. I would say Watford played better than Cooper. No matter what, we have three guards that can start and do well. I can't believe Logan Thomas did as well as he did. If he plays the next three games this good I think we have a decent number three QB. This is big praise from me considering I thought he should be cut just last week.

My biggest concern is at CB. We have nothing after Bethel. We had better sign a decent CB now. Our backup DB's and inside linebackers suck plain and simple. I think its time Larry Foote gave up coaching right now. If Weatherspoon and D Washington are not our starters the inside of our defense will suck badly.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Areas with biggest weakness are: ILB, RB, O-Line... Stop me if you've heard this before. [emoji35]

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Areas with biggest weakness are: ILB, RB, O-Line... Stop me if you've heard this before. [emoji35]

You think the OL was weak? I thought the 1st stringers did well.

TJ

Reaction score

First-team O-Line looked fine. I think depth could be a concern, but not like years past.

ILB is a major sieve. Spoon and (hopefully) Washington need to come back soon. Everyone else is about as unathletic as linebackers can get.

RB will be contingent on how well the line blocks. It may take time for the line to gel, but I'm fairly confident they will.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
You think the OL was weak? I thought the 1st stringers did well.

First-team O-Line looked fine. I think depth could be a concern, but not like years past.

ILB is a major sieve. Spoon and (hopefully) Washington need to come back soon. Everyone else is about as unathletic as linebackers can get.

RB will be contingent on how well the line blocks. It may take time for the line to gel, but I'm fairly confident they will.

I think the center position and RT are an issue. And I think our run blocking remains subpar.
I think DWaste is gone and I have little faith in Spoon. ILB is a major issue...
I was surprised to see Ellington get caught from behind on the long catch & run. And he looked tentative running the ball. I think Kerwynn is a nice second option but is just that, a backup. And after that, we have a massive whole at RB as Johnson is likely to be put on IR.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Cardiac, I agree that Golden argued too much with the officials. But I realize that I'm just a fan, and Golden is fighting for a job. So I can sort of understand it.

Snake, I agree about the CB's, but there is some hope. One, Brooks looked pretty good. And two, while listed as a safety, HB can play slot CB.

Austin Zonie

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think the center position and RT are an issue. And I think our run blocking remains subpar.
I think DWaste is gone and I have little faith in Spoon. ILB is a major issue...
I was surprised to see Ellington get caught from behind on the long catch & run. And he looked tentative running the ball. I think Kerwynn is a nice second option but is just that, a backup. And after that, we have a massive whole at RB as Johnson is likely to be put on IR.

That's concerning. Where did you hear Johnson is likely to be put on IR?

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I disagree on RT. Between Massie and Hump and then h aving Sowell as a 3rd option, we are good at RT.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan