Cardinals' 53 Man V. 2.0 (KC 34 AZ 19)

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Only position I'm REALLY concerned at is ILB.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Ellington: I think our struggles initially on the goal line were a product of him being out of shape after that long run. Maybe he was a step slow for a couple of plays?

Fitz: On Ellington's TD, Doug and Wolf commented that he got blown up by Iupati, who was pulling on that play. I didn't see it. Anyone else notice that?

Palmer: I kind of want him to take a hit so he gets his first one out of the way, but if the OL is going to hold up like that all season, I will be very happy.

Secondary: 1's were phenomenal.

John Brown: Is he going to be our new #1? He and Carson just seem to have a connection that you don't usually see until players have played together for years.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I disagree on RT. Between Massie and Hump and then h aving Sowell as a 3rd option, we are good at RT.

Massie is going bye-bye for a few weeks... and Hump is a very raw and untested rookie... Keim mentioned this morning that while he showed good athleticism in the game Saturday, he made had a number of technical issues. No surprise for a rookie of course, but I certainly wouldn't say this scenario makes me comfy!

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Mitch,

Not sure you forgot or was just unimpressed with Andrae Kirk, #49. He got some 2nd team snaps at ILB. I didn't see too much special from him but was surprised he wasn't mentioned. Kirk seemed to have some decent closing speed, but his tackling was weak.

I thought Demens showed why he was in the league for so long last night. When it comes to Demens it must be the mental side of his game that is lacking because he has NFL skills.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Unless I am miscounting a guy who has floated around practice squads for a year or two, I count mitch having 5 undrafted rookie free agents making the final 53 (and two draft picks cut).. a tradition unlike any other: Mitch falling in love with the UDFAs!

frankeegee1

All Star
Reaction score
Crisper 57, lupati was pulling around and going through the left guard/tackle hole as Fitz (I guess) was blocking down. He put his helmet into Fitz' side.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mitch,

Not sure you forgot or was just unimpressed with Andrae Kirk, #49. He got some 2nd team snaps at ILB. I didn't see too much special from him but was surprised he wasn't mentioned. Kirk seemed to have some decent closing speed, but his tackling was weak.

I thought Demens showed why he was in the league for so long last night. When it comes to Demens it must be the mental side of his game that is lacking because he has NFL skills.
I watched Kirk and thought he was slow to the ball. Lacked instinct and quickness. Are you seeing something I didn't?

Demens can hit. Not sure about his cover skills.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I watched Kirk and thought he was slow to the ball. Lacked instinct and quickness. Are you seeing something I didn't?

Demens can hit. Not sure about his cover skills.

Just thought he had good closing speed once he knew where he was going, and figuring out where he was going was the hesitation I saw, his tackling was poor or at least sloppy.

Demens coverage skills are non-existant, but I thought Demens looked much better than any of the UDFA's.

None of it stood out as anything special.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
This goes without saying at the QB position because there are only so many starting quality QBs in the NFL and there is not much one can do about the position but one has to look at the concerns where injuries affect the other positions... one injury could limit this team possibly if Peterson goes down with the style of play which is asked of our secondary, Bethel is still unproven and Powers' injury hopefully is not a nagging one

Last edited:

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just thought he had good closing speed once he knew where he was going, and figuring out where he was going was the hesitation I saw, his tackling was poor or at least sloppy.

Demens coverage skills are non-existant, but I thought Demens looked much better than any of the UDFA's.

None of it stood out as anything special.

You didn't think Fua stood out? IMO, he was the one ILB UDFA to stand out the most.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Crisper 57, lupati was pulling around and going through the left guard/tackle hole as Fitz (I guess) was blocking down. He put his helmet into Fitz' side.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I found it on NFL.com. Ouch. He put Fitz into the end zone.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Mitch, with the addition of CJ2K, I'm guessing we keep five RB's. AE, DJ, CJ, and two others. Judging by their ST roles, I'm going with Taylor and Hughes. And at the start of the season, I don't see DJ being active on Sunday.

Also, Mitch, you said that Sendlein can play center and guard. So my question is if LS is the starting center, and he is injured, who is the backup center, who would be part of the 7OL group, active on game day?

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Mitch, with the addition of CJ2K, I'm guessing we keep five RB's. AE, DJ, CJ, and two others. Judging by their ST roles, I'm going with Taylor and Hughes. And at the start of the season, I don't see DJ being active on Sunday.

Also, Mitch, you said that Sendlein can play center and guard. So my question is if LS is the starting center, and he is injured, who is the backup center, who would be part of the 7OL group, active on game day?

Garth, I think Kerwynn Williams and Robert Hughes are ahead of Stepfan Taylor this year. BA likes Williams a lot and is not afraid to play him. Hughes is a fixture in short yardage and goal-line situations. Taylor is good on STs as you say, but he doesn't hit the holes fast enough and he isn't very elusive.

DJ will be active on Sundays as the swing tackle---at least until Massie returns, and by then maybe BA has a blocking TE role for Humphries, which will keep him in the game day plans.

If Sendlein starts---the backup center is Shipley, with Watford as a swing G/T. And I think 8 OL will be active, with DJ in there as well.

I think thus far Shipley is winning the C competition. He had a good start in the first game. The coaches want Sendlein ready in case Shipley falters. But, they are happy with Shipley thus far.

It's looking more and more like Ted Larsen is on the bubble, especially when they can keep Anthony Steen (G/C) on the PS.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
the only 2 rookies UDFA i like are FUA and Cariel Brooks

brittany golden is good at camp but when there is a match he is less then mediocre

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Mitch, I agree that if LS starts at center, we'll have to have eight OL active on game days. The reason why I think that Taylor will make it over Williams is that he's better in pass pro and a better receiver. Williams is a much better RB, but I don't see either getting many carries, barring injuries. And when I said that DJ wouldn't be active on game days, I was talking about David Johnson.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Mitch, I agree that if LS starts at center, we'll have to have eight OL active on game days. The reason why I think that Taylor will make it over Williams is that he's better in pass pro and a better receiver. Williams is a much better RB, but I don't see either getting many carries, barring injuries. And when I said that DJ wouldn't be active on game days, I was talking about David Johnson.

Unless DJ flashes pretty quickly you're probably right Garth, he's wayyyyy behind now & the CJ signing hurts his chances at being active unless he does catch on quickly.

I too think Mitch is right about Taylor, but we'll see. You could be right because AE & CJs pass pro is suspect unless they keep Hughes in that role.

We shall see

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score

I think Williams is the RB BA would turn to when he wants to run a steady diet on inside the tackles plays (like with a good lead in the 4th Q), not Taylor. BA has been prepping Hughes for that kind of role, but I think BA prefers Williams. We'll see. You might be right. I get the David Johnson DJ now. Sorry about that. I think that BA hopes to have 2 of the speed RBs active and it would be 3 if David Johnson becomes a factor on STs.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan