Cardinals at Niners gameday thread 10-6-24

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The entire division right now is pretty awful. 10-7 could win it this year.

SF will be getting some players back in a couple weeks but their schedule will be getting tougher also. They can't afford to lose on Thursday and be 0-3 in division.(plus 0-4 in NFC).

Nice job by the Cards defense today. 0 points by SF in second half is impressive.(yes, it helped that SF had no kicker for much of it)
Really torn on who to root for

I’m leaning Seattle because I want San Francisco to have big of a hole as possible to climb out of.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the postgame Donte Whitner was talking about fans blaming Jordan Mason for the hit on Purdy that caused the pick but he said it was actually Purdy's fault and Shanahan. The Cards had 5 defenders on that side, the 49ers only had 3 OL plus Mason. The rule is the RB picks up the guy with the shortest path to the QB and that was Barnes and Mason got him, but Thompson came untouched.

Whitner said Purdy and Shanahan have to read that and either audible, or Purdy has to just get the ball out faster. He was a safety of course so he's biased but he said Thompson "masterfully" disguised it said we were walking Thompson up in the box regularly there but he usually would back out and he did a good job of making it look like the other plays so Purdy would assume he was not going to blitz.

I read something that said Purdy is only I think 5-5 in his last 10 regular season starts with 11 TD passes and 9 picks. Not great but remember 3 of those games are from last year in the playoffs and Super bowl(2 wins 1 loss).

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Especially with the A-A-RONS Imploding time to tank the season for the Jets to get a quarterback

I think earlier in that same drive Rodgers dropped a deep ball right in Lazards hands down the right sideline and he dropped it. He looked visibly pissed, and he's played with Lazard before. I think as he gets older he has less patience for stuff like that. Seemed to really bother him.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hilarious, but then again these are the same people we hear complaining in Cali in the summer when it nears or hits 90 while we are enjoying their cooler temps on a break from it being like 117 in Mesa. It was 113 here yesterday. Toughen up a bit and sit in the stands like we did at SDS - on metal bleacher seats.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
On Brady I thought he was ok not great. The one caveat, I know he's an adult now but Brady grew up a 49er fan so I have to give him credit that he wasn't openly cheering for them during the game. THat might be why he was a bit "subdued" he was consciously trying to be impartial?

I did like some of the insider stuff, like when he would call out the audible after Kyle made one and explain what the key was, players stacked inside, guy went with the motion man etc.

Brady is actually barred from saying anything negative about the players, coaches, or officials. He's also not allowed to attend the pre-production meetings because of his ownership stake in the Raiders.

Very stupid and bad of FOX to keep him on under those restrictions; put him in the pregame show or something (retire Terry Bradshaw). Brady is worse than useless out there and the play-by-play guy is just teeing him up over and over to say something interesting.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brady is actually barred from saying anything negative about the players, coaches, or officials. He's also not allowed to attend the pre-production meetings because of his ownership stake in the Raiders.

Very stupid and bad of FOX to keep him on under those restrictions; put him in the pregame show or something (retire Terry Bradshaw). Brady is worse than useless out there and the play-by-play guy is just teeing him up over and over to say something interesting.

I knew about the Raiders stuff but i didn't know he couldn't say anything bad yeah in that case kind of dumb to have him on broadcasts.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
a few big picture things on the game:

There are games were the underdog steals a game on the road -- and usually it has to have some fluky things happen. This felt like the fluky things were pretty balanced with the final edge going to the Cards with the final INT.

After how the 2nd quarter went -- ready to kick a FG to make it a one score game and instead it turns into a two score game / then moving the ball to end the half and a bad INT on a bad playcall results in their punter making a FG -- and a bad 3 and out to start the 2nd half -- it would have been easy for the players to throw in the towel there. Give them credit that they stuck with it and were rewarded.

Petzing and Kyler need to figure out some stuff that works when teams go shell zone coverage. 49ers started in single high to stop the run and Kyler was working some deeper throws -- i beleive he ended the first half with a YPA in the 8s -- which is good. Then SF started the second in full time shell coverage with 2 safeties high -- and it turned into all short stuff. That defense just confounds both Drew and Kyler

urs

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Seriuosly!

You don’t know what hot is until you went to SD on a Sunday at 1pm in the lower bowl on the east side with metal bleachers.
The only good part about those games, which were normally losses, was watching the opposing fans have to get medical assistance sitting in the concourse with their backs to the wall. "It's a dry heat"...ahahahh

OP
OP
BullheadCardFan

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think earlier in that same drive Rodgers dropped a deep ball right in Lazards hands down the right sideline and he dropped it. He looked visibly pissed, and he's played with Lazard before. I think as he gets older he has less patience for stuff like that. Seemed to really bother him.
Put it right in his hands

You could see the frustration in AR, but he was right

That was a completion that Lazard blew

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only good part about those games, which were normally losses, was watching the opposing fans have to get medical assistance sitting in the concourse with their backs to the wall. "It's a dry heat"...ahahahh
Which is crazy because for many years there was free water provided. For several years it was Hinckley and Schmidt, and it was cold and tasted great. At some point it switched to Arrowhead and tasted less great but was still free. No excuse to not stay hydrated. I remember there was a filling station near us in the south endzone so we would keep refilling our water bottles.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It was pretty humid but it's mainly people aren't used to the heat and then you spend 2-3 hours drinking tailgating before the game so they get dehyrdated.

I don't know how guys did it at Sun Devil Stadium

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake