Cardinals' Draft Preview: Roster Spots are Few

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
One of the very interesting aspects of the Cardinals' off-season thus far is how many depth signings the club has made: QB Brian St. Pierre, RB Jason Wright, FB Dan Kreider, TE Anthony Becht, TE Stephen Spach, G/T Elton Brown, C Dominic Raiola, DT Rodney Leisle, DE Bertand Berry, OLB Clark Haggans, LB Victor Hobson (signed to a 2 year deal late last season), CB Ralph Brown, S Keith Lewis, and LS Mike Leach.

The two major splash signings were QB Kurt Warner and CB Brian McFadden, both of whom figure to be on the field for the majority of the snaps.

So, let's take a close look at the roster to see what spots are still up for grabs:

QB (3): Warner, Leinart, St. Pierre.

Outside looking In: Palko.

Draft Need: 0.

UCFA Possibility: 1. Possibly QB Mike Teel of Rutgers, Mike McNulty's QB at Rutgers, as a PS developmental player.

RB (3): James, Hightower, Wright.

Outside Looking In: Vincent.

Draft Need: 1. Edge's replacement. Likely it will be one of the following players: at #31: Knowshon Moreno (Georgia), Chris Wells (Ohio St.), Donald Brown (Connecticut), LeSean McCoy (Pittsburgh), at #63: Shonn Greene (Iowa), at #95: Andre Brown (NC St.), James Davis (Clemson) or Rashad Jennings (Liberty).

Other Possibilities: It is possible and even likely that the Cardinals will draft a speed back during the second half of the draft who can become the new kickoff returner, someone like Kory Sheets (Purdue), Jeremiah Johnson (Oregon), Glen Coffee (Alabama), Tyrell Sutton (Northwestern), Ian Johnson (Boise St.), Antone Smith (Florida St.), Mike Goodson (Texas A&M) or LeRod Stephens-Howling (Pittsburgh).

Prediction: If Moreno, Wells or Brown are available at #31, there's the pick. Of the three Brown has the best chance. The Cardinals looked closely at him at the combine and he might be the best all-around RB in the draft. If Brown's taken, I see the Cardinals taking a pass rusher at #31. But, I think Brown will be there and will be the pick.

Then I see the Cardinals drafting Stephens-Howling with one of their 7th round picks, and he will have to beat out Lance Long (kickoff returner candidate) for a roster spot...or will land on the PS. In that battle, I see Long winning it.

RB (3): Hightower, Brown, Wright.

FB (1): Kreider.

Outside Looking In: Castille, Green.

The Cardinals will not have the luxury of keeping more than one FB this year. Look for them to draft a FB like David Johnson (Arkansas St. ) or Conredge Collins (Pittsburgh) late in the draft, and groom him on the PS to replace Dan Kreider next year or the year after.

TE (3): Ben Patrick, Leonard Pope, Anthony Becht.

Outsider Looking In: Stephen Spach, Alex Shor.

Draft Need: ?

First of all, the Cardinals cannot afford to keep 4 TEs on the roster again.

If healthy, Patrick and Pope still have significant upside. Becht is the blocking TE the team has wanted. Spach will battle for a job, but still may be limited by his rehab. Might be a late year signing again, or might be placed on the IR if the knee needs more time.

Coach Whiz still views this unit as a cause for concern. He showed some interest in James Casey of Rice at the combine. If Casey is available at #63, the decision for Whiz will be tough. It would not surprise me if he takes Casey and would then put Leonard Pope on the trading block, with the hope of getting a late round pick for him.

Prediction: If Casey is there at #63, he's the pick, and the Cardinals spend the next four picks on defense.

TE (3): Patrick, Casey, Becht.

OL (9): Gandy, Wells, Sendlein, Lutui, L. Brown, Vallejo, E. Brown, Raiola, Keith.

Much talk about the Cardinals drafting a center like Alex Mack (California) or Eric Wood (Lousiville) has quieted considerably since Whiz offered high praise to the media for Lyle Sendlein.

However, the Cardinals will most likely do what they did last year: draft an offensive lineman late and have him challenge Elton Brown or Dominic Raiola for a roster spot.

Or the Cardinals may hope to get lucky in the UCFA market the way they did with Sendlein and Vallejo.

WR (6): Fitzgerald, Boldin, Breaston, Urban, Doucet, Morey.

The only possible addition here might be Lance Long if he wins the kickoff returner job.

It's possible that the Cardinals could draft a WR with one of their 7th round picks. The two that I find intriguing are Brennan Marion (Tulsa), a yards and TD machine who suffered a knee injury late in his season, and Tiquan Underwood (Rutgers), who caught 9/136/3 TDs in his last two games (wins over Louisville and NC St.) under Mike McNulty's tutalege.

34NT (2): Watson, Branch.

Draft Need: 0. There aren't many good NT prospects in this draft anyway. The team will hope that Branch will show up hungry this year. I believe he will.

34DE (4): Dockett, Campbell, Iwebema, (Robinson/Banks/Dykes/Leisle/Pedescleaux winner).

Draft Need: 0. However, the guy the Cardinals like is Everette Pedescleaux (Northern Iowa)..whom I believe they will draft in the 5th round, if he's still available. But, he will have a hard time winning a roster spot, and will likely spend the year on the PS.

The #4 34DE competition is going to be fierce. I think it's going to be hard to let go of a veteran like Bryan Robinson, which gives him the edge, but I could see Jason Banks or Rodney Leisle making the decision all the more difficult. Banks and Dykes are still PS eligible, so that may be a factor in the decision.

34ILB (4): Hayes, Dansby, Highsmith, TBD (Hobson vs. draft pick).

Draft Need: 1. The guy that's the best fit is Pittsburgh's Scott McKillop and I see the Cardinals taking him at #95...for fear that he won't make it to #131. If McKillop is taken before #95, I think the Cardinals wait a couple of rounds and take Worrell Williams of California or Jasper Brinkley of South Carolina.

34OLB (5): Okeafor, Haggans, LaBoy, Berry, TBD (draft pick).

Draft Need: 1. The Cardinals need a young pass rusher and will take one with one of their first 4 picks...and perhaps another late in the draft.

As said previously, if RBs Moreno, Wells and Donald Brown are off the board at #31, the Cardinals will look to select Larry English, Connor Barwin, Michael Johnson, Robert Ayers, Brian Cushing, Clay Matthews, or Clint Sintim. The three LBers that might cause the Cardinals to hop on even if one of the RBs are available are Everett Brown (Florida St.), Aaron Maybin (Penn. St.) or Rey Maualuga (USC), should any of these players slide. Right now it would seem unlikely, but drafts are impossible to predict.

If TE James Casey is off the board at #63, I would expect the Cardinals to select one of these 34OLBs at that spot if available: Paul Kruger (Utah), Cody Brown (Connecticut), Lawrence Sidbury (Richmond), or Marcus Freeman (Ohio St.).

If the draft does go as I have predicted thus far: (1) RB Brown; (2) TE Casey; (3) LB McKillop...look for the Cardinals to draft 34OLB Phillip Hunt (Houston), Kyle Moore (USC), Nic Harris (Oklahoma), or Brandon Williams (Texas Tech). And the wild card might be Jason Williams (Western Illinois) who is rising up many draft boards.

If all these players are available, I think the Cardinals will be happy with Phillip Hunt, who is in the Steeler OLB mode...smaller, quick on the edge, but powerful in the lower body and therefore can leverege the corner.

Late in the draft a couple of OLBs to keep an eye on are Pierre Walters (Eastern Illinois) and Stryker Sulak (Missouri).

CB (5): Rodgers-Cromartie, McFadden, Hood, R. Brown, Adams.

Draft need: 0.

The only possible tough decision here might be if the Cardinals have to decide between Ralph Brown and Michael Adams. Brown is better in coverage and Adams is one of the team's best STs. The hope is to keep them both, but other need area might make that difficult.

S (4): Wilson, Rolle, Francisco, (Lewis/Keyes/draft pick winner).

Draft Need: 1. The Cardinals need a nickel FS...Francisco struggled there, but is still a good backup at SS and one of the team's best STs (maybe the best). Lewis is another ST standout. It's possible that with McFadden on board the Cardinals could swing DRC or Rod Hood over the FS spot in the nickel, but that's certainly not ideal.

The FS prospects in this draft are intriguing. Louis Delmas (Western Michigan) looks to me like a speedy Brian Dawkins. Sean Smith (Utah) is tall and fast. Will Moore (Missouri) is big hitter with range. Sherrod Martin (Troy) is the safety version of DRC in this draft. Derek Pegues (Mississippi St.) is a real gamer with solid skills. And Rashad Johnson (Alabama) is about as fundamentally sound as a FS can be coming out of college.

It would be a surprise if the Cardinals were to pick Delmas at #31. But...as we saw in the Super Bowl and many game previously, without a good cover FS, the Cardinals all too often leave their corners on an island, which puts all the more pressure on the corners late in games when the games are on the line. This selection may be moot because it would not surprise me at all if the Eagles take Delmas at #28, as they are apt to see the Dawkins in this kid.

However, Sherrod Martin at #95 would be a great pick...and he's so talented that I wouldn't mind one bit if the Cardinals used the #63 pick on him.

As for FS prospects later in the draft, David Bruton (Notre Dame) has very good size and speed, but isn't very instictive, Lendy Holmes (Oklahoma) is a tough kid, but liked to sit too much on the intermediate passes in college, and Curtis Taylor (LSU) has good speed for man and zone, but isn't as fluid in his turns as one would want. Brandon Underwood (Cincinnati) might be the most talented of the bunch. He has size and 4.5 speed. Underwood, like Sherrod Martin can play CB as well, and might give the Cardinals the flexibility they would want.

ST (3): Rackers, Graham, Leach.

The only question is whether Waylon Prather will challenge Ben Graham for the punter job.

Draft Need Recap:

Roster Positions Needed: RB, OLB, ILB, FS.

Possible Positions Added: TE, 34DE.

The Cardinals' Board at #31:

1. Aaron Maybin, OLB, Penn. St.
2. Everette Brown, OLB, Florida St.
3. Rey Maualuga, LB, USC (allows the Cardinals to switch Dansby to OLB)
4. Knowshon Moreno, RB, Georgia
5. Chris Wells, RB, Ohio St.
6. Donald Brown, RB, Connecticut
7. Larry English, OLB, NIU
8. Connor Barwin, OLB, Cincinnati
9. Michael Johnson, OLB, Georgia Tech
10. Clint Sintim, OLB, Virginia.

At #63:

1. James Casey, TE, Rice
2. Paul Kruger, OLB, Utah
3. Cody Brown, OLB, Connecticut
3. Lawrence Sidbury, OLB, Richmond
4. Sherrod Martin, FS/CB, Troy
5. Shonn Greene, RB, Iowa

At #95

1. Sherrod Martin, FS, Troy
2. Scott McKillop, LB, Pittsburgh
3. Rashad Jennings, RB, Liberty
4. Kraig Urbik, G, Wisconsin
5. Jonathan Luigs, C, Arkansas

Might Be (part A):

1. Brown, RB, CT
2. Casey, TE, Rice
3. McKillop, LB, Pitt
4. Hunt, OLB, Houston
5. Pedescleaux, DE, Northern Iowa
6. Underwood, S, Cincinnati
7. Stephens-Howling, RB, Pitt
7. Walters, OLB, Eastern Illinois

But Might Be (part B):

1. English, OLB, NIU
2. Greene, RB, Iowa
3. Martin, S, Troy
4. Hunt, OLB, Houston
5. Brinkley, LB, South Carolina
6. Johnson, FB/TE, Arkansas St.
7. Reynolds, C, BYU.

The thing is: the way the roster is now, it looks like only 4-5 draftees make the roster. The rest will have to clear waivers.

Last edited:

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Great great break down Mitch.

I would do back flips if Maualuga was to fall but I am skeptical of both Maybin and Browne. Even if they are available (which I am positive they won't be) I still go Moreno or Wells before them.

I haven't heard much about the Cards looking into Moreno so I wonder what their feelings are on him. Perhaps there is a reason they have kept so quiet on his potential avalability...

Last edited:

POISON

Formerly known as Okieguy
Reaction score
If TE Pettigrew(TE) is still on board at 31 I'd take him and loose a couple of the other stiffs. Pettigrew is huge and a great blocker with good hands. He could outplay Pope immediatly. Good work on the thread!

NuttinButTDs

Registered
Reaction score
I concur with AZ Finest. Maluga would be the best choice. If he is not available, we will have our choice of RB.

Regarding RBs - The crop is not outstanding that they will be picked in the top 10. The only teams that may go for a RB in first round are NO, HOU and PHI. HOU and NO needs a lot of defensive help. I think PHI may use one of their first round picks on a RB and we will have our choice of either Wells or Moreno.

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Great stuff Mitch. Thanks for taking the time. One of the best reads in quite some time.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Might Be (part A):

1. Brown, RB, CT
2. Casey, TE, Rice
3. McKillop, LB, Pitt
4. Hunt, OLB, Houston

But Might Be (part B):

1. English, OLB, NIU
2. Greene, RB, Iowa
3. Martin, S, Troy
4. Hunt, OLB, Houston
7. Reynolds, C, BYU.

The thing is: the way the roster is now, it looks like only 4-5 draftees make the roster. The rest will have to clear waivers.

Great needs analysis Walter. :thumbup:

I'd take plan A in a heartbeat. Plan B if we were assured of McCoy, but I don't see that.

I'm a big Casey fan if he's there, no matter what we need on the outside . McKillop would move Dansby to WILB spot and that wouldn't be bad.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Great needs analysis Walter. :thumbup:

I'd take plan A in a heartbeat. Plan B if we were assured of McCoy, but I don't see that.

I'm a big Casey fan if he's there, no matter what we need on the outside . McKillop would move Dansby to WILB spot and that wouldn't be bad.

That is Dansby's position... now.

TigToad

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
This was a fantastic read. Thank you for the analysis. It makes sense.

I am sure a couple of our guys will get beaten out this year, Pope comes to mind, but it is so nice to see that we have 3 or 4 areas of need instead of 13 or 14.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
McKillop would move Dansby to WOLB spot and that wouldn't be bad.

McKillop does not have the skill set to play the WILB spot that Dansby plays. The WILB in a 3-4 needs to be your best coverage LB and that is a McKillop weakness. McKillop would be a backup to Hayes at SILB, which I wouldnt mind at all. McKillop is an old school type LB, sure wrap and drive tackler with good instincts, but he would get abused as the WILB in coverage.

Lets even pretend that Dansby would be good as the WOLB and I stress pretend because thats what it is. Dannell Ellerbe and maybe Gerald McGrath maybe would be much better fits.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
McKillop does not have the skill set to play the WILB spot that Dansby plays. The WILB in a 3-4 needs to be your best coverage LB and that is a McKillop weakness. McKillop would be a backup to Hayes at SILB, which I wouldnt mind at all. McKillop is an old school type LB, sure wrap and drive tackler with good instincts, but he would get abused as the WILB in coverage.

Lets even pretend that Dansby would be good as the WOLB and I stress pretend because thats what it is. Dannell Ellerbe and maybe Gerald McGrath maybe would be much better fits.

Right call, Joe. McKillop back up Hayes, and basically takes Monty Beisel's spot. If and when he improves his coverage then he might be able to play some spot duty at WILB the way Beisel did.

The ILB that has my attention for the WILB spot is Darry Beckwith of LSU. This guy is a fluid athlete who can turn out to be equally good in coverage as stepping up to stop the run. If he's on the board at #95...that could get interesting.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
The ILB that has my attention for the WILB spot is Darry Beckwith of LSU. This guy is a fluid athlete who can turn out to be equally good in coverage as stepping up to stop the run. If he's on the board at #95...that could get interesting.

Just not a fan of Beckwith at all. 2006 - knee injury, 2007 - shoulder and knee injury, 2008 - knee injury again. Three years in a row with an injury that severely limited him and whats worse is that it was three years in a row with the same issue. Limiting him to sporadic playing time and never breaking the 65 tackle mark 3 years as a starter.

Not sure if he is just injury prone, doesn't put the work in the weight room, or is just very limited athletically because his combine he had one of the worst performances there, by bad I mean he wouldnt even me in the top 10 of linemen over 300 pounds in the vertical jump and broad jump combined. I tend not to take notice of combine performances but when its the worst out of a single group my ears do perk up a little.

Now past that watching him on field he looked limited, again not sure if it was an injury thing or limited athletically thing, either way it wasn't good IMO.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score

I think that Dansby can/should be every bit as good as Laboy over there if not better. If he can't maybe we shouldn't re-up him. Because what he does on the inside can be duplicated easier and cheaper, IMO.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Just not a fan of Beckwith at all. 2006 - knee injury, 2007 - shoulder and knee injury, 2008 - knee injury again. Three years in a row with an injury that severely limited him and whats worse is that it was three years in a row with the same issue. Limiting him to sporadic playing time and never breaking the 65 tackle mark 3 years as a starter.

Not sure if he is just injury prone, doesn't put the work in the weight room, or is just very limited athletically because his combine he had one of the worst performances there, by bad I mean he wouldnt even me in the top 10 of linemen over 300 pounds in the vertical jump and broad jump combined. I tend not to take notice of combine performances but when its the worst out of a single group my ears do perk up a little.

Now past that watching him on field he looked limited, again not sure if it was an injury thing or limited athletically thing, either way it wasn't good IMO.

He looked good at the Senior Bowl...but then again, you don't watch the game. He showed very good athleticism, speed, size and finishing ability. He's rated by most as 2nd-3rd rounder. Sure, the knee issues are a concern, which is one of the reasons why he isn't rated higher. He looked a little like Dansby in the game, which is why I thought of him.

I'd rather have McKillop anyway. The hope is that Ali Highsmith will back up Dansby.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another good read. A word of caution, Mitch. Just because we may hear the Cardinals took an extra long look at a player or brought in a particular player fo a meet-and-greet, doesn't mean they will still like him after the contact.

The long look can also result in a determination to stay away from drafting that player.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Another good read. A word of caution, Mitch. Just because we may hear the Cardinals took an extra long look at a player or brought in a particular player fo a meet-and-greet, doesn't mean they will still like him after the contact.

The long look can also result in a determination to stay away from drafting that player.

That's true, Skkorp. But, last year we heard the Cardinals were honed in on DRC at the combine, and sure enough, he was their guy. The Cardinals in recent years seem fairly predictable when it comes to showing interest in players.

I would be surprised if their contact with Donald Brown was anything but positive...same with Larry English, Chris Wells, Shonn Greene, Everette Pedescleaux, etc.

Regardless, the #31 pick is going to be a difficult one...there are likely to be a surprise or two there...now it seems likley in the midst of steroid allegations, Cushing and Matthews may be sitting there...and I think it's quite possible that either Everette Brown (FSU) or Aaron Maybin (Penn St.) might wind up there as well, especially if three QBs are taken prior to #31...and I suspect as many as 6, possibly 7 WRs will go prior to #31.

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
That's true, Skkorp. But, last year we heard the Cardinals were honed in on DRC at the combine, and sure enough, he was their guy. The Cardinals in recent years seem fairly predictable when it comes to showing interest in players.

I would be surprised if their contact with Donald Brown was anything but positive...same with Larry English, Chris Wells, Shonn Greene, Everette Pedescleaux, etc.

Regardless, the #31 pick is going to be a difficult one...there are likely to be a surprise or two there...now it seems likley in the midst of steroid allegations, Cushing and Matthews may be sitting there...and I think it's quite possible that either Everette Brown (FSU) or Aaron Maybin (Penn St.) might wind up there as well, especially if three QBs are taken prior to #31...and I suspect as many as 6, possibly 7 WRs will go prior to #31.

I could possibly see Everette Brown there at 31, but would be shocked if Maybin were there. At that point we would have a difficult decision to make between Everette Brown, Donald Brown, and Larry English IMO. But if some reason Maybin was there I think he is the pick without question.

Just out of curiosity, who would you say the 7th WR would be? Crabtree, Maclin, Harvin, Heyward-Bay, Nicks, and Britt are the only ones I see as having a shot at round 1. You don't think Robiskie has a shot at round one do you? But the more WR taken in round 1 the better for us!

Reaction score
Good effort, Mitch.

However, you have got the Cards preferential pick in the first two rounds as a RB and TE. I just don't envision them going with an offensive player with both of the first two picks.

Savage58

Defense, Defense, DEFENSE
Reaction score
Loved the read Mitch. GREAT POST!

I'd be amazed if E. Brown was there at 31 though, did he smoke the hippy lettuce or something, I feel I am missing something? I just don't see it happening in any mock I can come up with, he's to quick off the ball, and turns the corner, explodes into the QB, he's a freak, gone by #10 imho. I'd also be thrilled with Wells if he falls.

Sounds like you really like Hunt, interesting.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
It's too bad Edge is a goner because I'm not thrilled with any of the top running backs available this year. Yeah Knowshon Moreno is solid, but he lacks top end speed. So does Brown.

I haven't seen much Pac 10, but PFW's draft guide really likes Oregon's Max Unger. Says he can play any of the five O-line positions well. Knowing how much the Cardinals value versatility, if they have him or Alex Mack rated very highly, they'd be tough to pass on at #31. If they draft Mack, the Steelers are likely to have a hissy fit. :) This would be a pick to maximize your coaching with Russ Grimm.

LarryStalling

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
As my memory serves me, the Cards have had a long history of bringing in players and not drafting them. Not too many of the first rounders were ever brought in that i can remember.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nice job, Mitch. Biggest story at this point is that Cardinal "depth additions" give us much more flexibility when we pick at various points along the draft.

Only a few bones to pick:

1. I'd be leery about both Maybin and Michael Johnson who (while freaks of nature) are considered by some to be lacking in productivity (and perhaps motivation). They'd be knockout rolls of the dice in the second round (although not likely to last til #63) but risky at #31.

2. While you at least make passing reference to a couple of "positions of interest" in the first three rounds, you omit a few logical prospects:

C-G - Mack or Wood (rated higher than Urbick but also play center; a position of need)

FS - The only guy you mention is Sherrard Martin (who can play CB or S). We have one of those in Rolle (who is slowly evolving into a pretty good jack of all trades/master of none). But I'd rather have a really really good gamebreaking centerfielder and/or a really really good CB. Two players of interest: Pegues at FS (reminds me of Merriweather) and Darius Butler at CB.

(Note: Martin - possibly because he's from a small school - is rated #15 CB by NFLDraftScouts and not at all (at either S or CB) by the War Room. Pro Football Draft Guide rates him #3 as a S).

It also wouldn't surprise me if we lost patience with Alan Branch and scooped up a DT like Hood (at #63) or Marks in the third round or if we cherrypicked from a deep pool of WR's in the 3rd or 4th rounds (as Boldin insurance). Someone like a Mike Thomas or Tyqan Underwood.

Final point - Once you get past the Elite 15 - 20 prospects, the ratings are all over the place (i.e. War Room rates Pegues a 1st round value who will probably be drafted in the second round due to lack of prototypical height. NFL DraftScout rates him 5th best safety. Pro Football Draft Guide rates him 7th best safety). Trying to mock past the first round is like trying to hit a moving dart-board blindfolded.

Last edited:

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
One of the very interesting aspects of the Cardinals' off-season thus far is how many depth signings the club has made: QB Brian St. Pierre, RB Jason Wright, FB Dan Kreider, TE Anthony Becht, TE Stephen Spach, G/T Elton Brown, C Dominic Raiola, DT Rodney Leisle, DE Bertand Berry, OLB Clark Haggans, LB Victor Hobson (signed to a 2 year deal late last season), CB Ralph Brown, S Keith Lewis, and LS Mike Leach.

The two major splash signings were QB Kurt Warner and CB Brian McFadden, both of whom figure to be on the field for the majority of the snaps.

So, let's take a close look at the roster to see what spots are still up for grabs:

QB (3): Warner, Leinart, St. Pierre.

Outside looking In: Palko.

UCFA Possibility: 1. Possibly QB Mike Teel of Rutgers, Mike McNulty's QB at Rutgers, as a PS developmental player.

RB (3): James, Hightower, Wright.

Outside Looking In: Vincent.

Draft Need: 1. Edge's replacement. Likely it will be one of the following players: at #31: Knowshon Moreno (Georgia), Chris Wells (Ohio St.), Donald Brown (Connecticut), LeSean McCoy (Pittsburgh), at #63: Shonn Greene (Iowa), at #95: Andre Brown (NC St.), James Davis (Clemson) or Rashad Jennings (Liberty).

Other Possibilities: It is possible and even likely that the Cardinals will draft a speed back during the second half of the draft who can become the new kickoff returner, someone like Kory Sheets (Purdue), Jeremiah Johnson (Oregon), Glen Coffee (Alabama), Tyrell Sutton (Northwestern), Ian Johnson (Boise St.), Antone Smith (Florida St.), Mike Goodson (Texas A&M) or LeRod Stephens-Howling (Pittsburgh).

Prediction: If Moreno, Wells or Brown are available at #31, there's the pick. Of the three Brown has the best chance. The Cardinals looked closely at him at the combine and he might be the best all-around RB in the draft. If Brown's taken, I see the Cardinals taking a pass rusher at #31. But, I think Brown will be there and will be the pick.

Then I see the Cardinals drafting Stephens-Howling with one of their 7th round picks, and he will have to beat out Lance Long (kickoff returner candidate) for a roster spot...or will land on the PS. In that battle, I see Long winning it.

RB (3): Hightower, Brown, Wright.

FB (1): Kreider.

Outside Looking In: Castille, Green.

The Cardinals will not have the luxury of keeping more than one FB this year. Look for them to draft a FB like David Johnson (Arkansas St. ) or Conredge Collins (Pittsburgh) late in the draft, and groom him on the PS to replace Dan Kreider next year or the year after.

TE (3): Ben Patrick, Leonard Pope, Anthony Becht.

Outsider Looking In: Stephen Spach, Alex Shor.

First of all, the Cardinals cannot afford to keep 4 TEs on the roster again.

If healthy, Patrick and Pope still have significant upside. Becht is the blocking TE the team has wanted. Spach will battle for a job, but still may be limited by his rehab. Might be a late year signing again, or might be placed on the IR if the knee needs more time.

Coach Whiz still views this unit as a cause for concern. He showed some interest in James Casey of Rice at the combine. If Casey is available at #63, the decision for Whiz will be tough. It would not surprise me if he takes Casey and would then put Leonard Pope on the trading block, with the hope of getting a late round pick for him.

Prediction: If Casey is there at #63, he's the pick, and the Cardinals spend the next four picks on defense.

TE (3): Patrick, Casey, Becht.

OL (9): Gandy, Wells, Sendlein, Lutui, L. Brown, Vallejo, E. Brown, Raiola, Keith.

Much talk about the Cardinals drafting a center like Alex Mack (California) or Eric Wood (Lousiville) has quieted considerably since Whiz offered high praise to the media for Lyle Sendlein.

However, the Cardinals will most likely do what they did last year: draft an offensive lineman late and have him challenge Elton Brown or Dominic Raiola for a roster spot.

Or the Cardinals may hope to get lucky in the UCFA market the way they did with Sendlein and Vallejo.

WR (6): Fitzgerald, Boldin, Breaston, Urban, Doucet, Morey.

The only possible addition here might be Lance Long if he wins the kickoff returner job.

It's possible that the Cardinals could draft a WR with one of their 7th round picks. The two that I find intriguing are Brennan Marion (Tulsa), a yards and TD machine who suffered a knee injury late in his season, and Tiquan Underwood (Rutgers), who caught 9/136/3 TDs in his last two games (wins over Louisville and NC St.) under Mike McNulty's tutalege.

34NT (2): Watson, Branch.

Draft Need: 0. There aren't many good NT prospects in this draft anyway. The team will hope that Branch will show up hungry this year. I believe he will.

34DE (4): Dockett, Campbell, Iwebema, (Robinson/Banks/Dykes/Leisle/Pedescleaux winner).

Draft Need: 0. However, the guy the Cardinals like is Everette Pedescleaux (Northern Iowa)..whom I believe they will draft in the 5th round, if he's still available. But, he will have a hard time winning a roster spot, and will likely spend the year on the PS.

The #4 34DE competition is going to be fierce. I think it's going to be hard to let go of a veteran like Bryan Robinson, which gives him the edge, but I could see Jason Banks or Rodney Leisle making the decision all the more difficult. Banks and Dykes are still PS eligible, so that may be a factor in the decision.

34ILB (4): Hayes, Dansby, Highsmith, TBD (Hobson vs. draft pick).

Draft Need: 1. The guy that's the best fit is Pittsburgh's Scott McKillop and I see the Cardinals taking him at #95...for fear that he won't make it to #131. If McKillop is taken before #95, I think the Cardinals wait a couple of rounds and take Worrell Williams of California or Jasper Brinkley of South Carolina.

34OLB (5): Okeafor, Haggans, LaBoy, Berry, TBD (draft pick).

Draft Need: 1. The Cardinals need a young pass rusher and will take one with one of their first 4 picks...and perhaps another late in the draft.

As said previously, if RBs Moreno, Wells and Donald Brown are off the board at #31, the Cardinals will look to select Larry English, Connor Barwin, Michael Johnson, Robert Ayers, Brian Cushing, Clay Matthews, or Clint Sintim. The three LBers that might cause the Cardinals to hop on even if one of the RBs are available are Everett Brown (Florida St.), Aaron Maybin (Penn. St.) or Rey Maualuga (USC), should any of these players slide. Right now it would seem unlikely, but drafts are impossible to predict.

If TE James Casey is off the board at #63, I would expect the Cardinals to select one of these 34OLBs at that spot if available: Paul Kruger (Utah), Cody Brown (Connecticut), Lawrence Sidbury (Richmond), or Marcus Freeman (Ohio St.).

If the draft does go as I have predicted thus far: (1) RB Brown; (2) TE Casey; (3) LB McKillop...look for the Cardinals to draft 34OLB Phillip Hunt (Houston), Kyle Moore (USC), Nic Harris (Oklahoma), or Brandon Williams (Texas Tech). And the wild card might be Jason Williams (Western Illinois) who is rising up many draft boards.

If all these players are available, I think the Cardinals will be happy with Phillip Hunt, who is in the Steeler OLB mode...smaller, quick on the edge, but powerful in the lower body and therefore can leverege the corner.

Late in the draft a couple of OLBs to keep an eye on are Pierre Walters (Eastern Illinois) and Stryker Sulak (Missouri).

CB (5): Rodgers-Cromartie, McFadden, Hood, R. Brown, Adams.

Draft need: 0.

The only possible tough decision here might be if the Cardinals have to decide between Ralph Brown and Michael Adams. Brown is better in coverage and Adams is one of the team's best STs. The hope is to keep them both, but other need area might make that difficult.

S (4): Wilson, Rolle, Francisco, (Lewis/Keyes/draft pick winner).

Draft Need: 1. The Cardinals need a nickel FS...Francisco struggled there, but is still a good backup at SS and one of the team's best STs (maybe the best). Lewis is another ST standout. It's possible that with McFadden on board the Cardinals could swing DRC or Rod Hood over the FS spot in the nickel, but that's certainly not ideal.

The FS prospects in this draft are intriguing. Louis Delmas (Western Michigan) looks to me like a speedy Brian Dawkins. Sean Smith (Utah) is tall and fast. Will Moore (Missouri) is big hitter with range. Sherrod Martin (Troy) is the safety version of DRC in this draft. Derek Pegues (Mississippi St.) is a real gamer with solid skills. And Rashad Johnson (Alabama) is about as fundamentally sound as a FS can be coming out of college.

It would be a surprise if the Cardinals were to pick Delmas at #31. But...as we saw in the Super Bowl and many game previously, without a good cover FS, the Cardinals all too often leave their corners on an island, which puts all the more pressure on the corners late in games when the games are on the line. This selection may be moot because it would not surprise me at all if the Eagles take Delmas at #28, as they are apt to see the Dawkins in this kid.

However, Sherrod Martin at #95 would be a great pick...and he's so talented that I wouldn't mind one bit if the Cardinals used the #63 pick on him.

As for FS prospects later in the draft, David Bruton (Notre Dame) has very good size and speed, but isn't very instictive, Lendy Holmes (Oklahoma) is a tough kid, but liked to sit too much on the intermediate passes in college, and Curtis Taylor (LSU) has good speed for man and zone, but isn't as fluid in his turns as one would want. Brandon Underwood (Cincinnati) might be the most talented of the bunch. He has size and 4.5 speed. Underwood, like Sherrod Martin can play CB as well, and might give the Cardinals the flexibility they would want.

ST (3): Rackers, Graham, Leach.

The only question is whether Waylon Prather will challenge Ben Graham for the punter job.

Draft Need Recap:

Roster Positions Needed: RB, OLB, ILB, FS.

Possible Positions Added: TE, 34DE.

The Cardinals' Board at #31:

1. Aaron Maybin, OLB, Penn. St.
2. Everette Brown, OLB, Florida St.
3. Rey Maualuga, LB, USC (allows the Cardinals to switch Dansby to OLB)
4. Knowshon Moreno, RB, Georgia
5. Chris Wells, RB, Ohio St.
6. Donald Brown, RB, Connecticut
7. Larry English, OLB, NIU
8. Connor Barwin, OLB, Cincinnati
9. Michael Johnson, OLB, Georgia Tech
10. Clint Sintim, OLB, Virginia.

At #63:

1. James Casey, TE, Rice
2. Paul Kruger, OLB, Utah
3. Cody Brown, OLB, Connecticut
3. Lawrence Sidbury, OLB, Richmond
4. Sherrod Martin, FS/CB, Troy
5. Shonn Greene, RB, Iowa

At #95

1. Sherrod Martin, FS, Troy
2. Scott McKillop, LB, Pittsburgh
3. Rashad Jennings, RB, Liberty
4. Kraig Urbik, G, Wisconsin
5. Jonathan Luigs, C, Arkansas

Might Be (part A):

1. Brown, RB, CT
2. Casey, TE, Rice
3. McKillop, LB, Pitt
4. Hunt, OLB, Houston

But Might Be (part B):

1. English, OLB, NIU
2. Greene, RB, Iowa
3. Martin, S, Troy
4. Hunt, OLB, Houston
7. Reynolds, C, BYU.

I cannot even imagine the time and effort you put into this. It is much appreciated. Thank you.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Excellent write up Mitch.

I have a different take on some of the needs. DE should be addressed IMHO. I understand your take on this but to me an upgrade is needed. I would still be saying this even if Antonio Smith hadn't left via FA. As Whiz and many others believe the War is won in the trenches and with our vastly improved secondary a stronger pass rush would move our D to elite status.

Same basic thought process for NT. Branch is still a HUGE ???? and Robinson is more of an emergency starter. I've read that several pundits are not happy with the DT talent in this draft so maybe a flyer on a late rd prospect.

I understand that most believe RB is the biggest priority but I disagree. This is a passing offense and servicable RB's can be found throughout the draft. To me we fix the Defense this year. I just don't see any of this RB's grading out higher then several of the Defensive player options that will be available in the 1st 3 rounds.

On offense I would only address the O-line in the top 3 rounds and then only if a huge value presented itself.

Again, fantastic information and if anything this is what has solidified my opinion that Defense is the draft strategy that would be best.

lauraw

"Vincere, Aut Mori" !
Reaction score
Mitch, thank you once again for your analysis! Great information.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser