Cardinals' Personnel: Concerns and Suggestions

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
QB:

Concern: Kevin Kolb having to learn the offense in 6 weeks to prepare for Game 1.

Suggestion: Like Whiz did in his first year as HC---have a package ready for the #2 QB (in this case John Skelton). Just in case Kolb needs a breather, is feeling a little overwhelmed or the team needs a change of pace. If Kolb knows he has help---that it's not all on him---that may put him a little more at ease.

RB:

Concern: Blocking on pass plays, which has not been one of Beanie's strengths and it's a little early to know whether Ryan Williams can handle it.

Suggestion: Use Jeff King or Anthony Sherman as the single back in passing situations. They can stonewall the first threat and then slip underneath as a safety valve.

OL/TE:

Concern: Edge pass protection.

Suggestion: Line up Jeff King or Todd Heap to the best pass rusher's side (Charles Johnson Game 1) and flex him to outside shoulder of the DE and have him chip down/double team with the T...then release on a quick out, seam or circle route.

WR:

Concern: Stretching the defense.

Suggestion: 4-6 times a game, play Patrick Peterson at WR in a simplified role---basically running three routes: go, deep post, WR hitch screen.

NT:

Concern: Dan Williams' stamina.

Suggestion: Have him play first down and either Nick Eason or David Cater play second down. Added plus? Having Williams run off the field each time will get him into better shape.

DE/OLB:

Concern: 4 man pass rush.

Suggestion: Seeing as Dockett and Campbell are now being asked to play disciplined 5 technique at 34 DE---throw them a bone and see what they could do as DEs in the 4 man rush. They both should be able to bull rush and both are quick enough to swim around the corner. Plus, imagine them looping inside in a flash on tex stunts. Have them outside at DE at times and inside at DT at times. Use Vonnie Holliday at DE in the 4 man rush as well, in addition of course to Joey Porter, Sam Acho and O'Brien Schofield.

OLB:

Concern: Haggans and Porter's age.

Suggestion: Have them both split time with Acho and Schofield. This will keep Porter fresh for pass rushing in the nickle and dime formations. In addition, it would be very interesting to see what Stewart Bradley could do on the edge. He has the size, strength and speed to be a terror there. Plus, at times playing Paris Lenon at ILB would be good. He's solid. A wise defensive coach once said: find a way to get your nest 11 players on the field.

SS:

Concern: Filling the void for Adrian Wilson and covering the very good TEs we are going to face this year, staring with Greg Olsen (Game 1), Chris Cooley (Game 2), Zach Miller (Game 3)...

Suggestion: Try Richard Marshall there. Marshall is a physical player and he fast. But treat the TE as the #3 WR and it would make sense to play with 3 CBs and 1 FS. Marshall would be a good hard blitzer as well.

CB:

Concern: Rushing Patrick Peterson into the starting lineup too quickly.

Suggestion: In this lockout shortened year, it would be pretty tough to start any rookie right off the bat. Use his exceptional versatility to the team's advantage: (1) being the nickel CB; (2) being the #1 punt returner; (3) being a 4-6 times a game situational WR. Start him at CB when he's well assimilated into the defense and when he is ready. In the meantime, try to get the ball in his hands 4-5 times a game.

FS:

Concern: Depth behind Kerry Rhodes.

Suggestion: Forget about using Rashad Johnson at SS. He's a solid nickel and dime package FS. The team needs him in that role.

Last edited:

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Agree with most, but nickel CB is a specialized role and, if anything, it asks PP21 to assimilate even more. Have him on the corner and give him one job: Shut that guy down!

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having Dan Williams playing 1 down a series for the cashe he's making just rubs me the wrong way...not you saying it Mitch, just the need for that situation

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
QB:

Concern: Kevin Kolb having to learn the offense in 6 weeks to prepare for Game 1.

Suggestion: Like Whiz did in his first year as HC---have a package ready for the #2 QB (in this case John Skelton). Just in case Kolb needs a breather, is feeling a little overwhelmed or the team needs a change of pace. If Kolb knows he has help---that it's not all on him---that may put him a little more at ease.

Disagree: Simplify the offense and add to it as Kolb adjusts. Putting Skelton in does not help continuity. I am glad to have him, and don't mind his playing in a blowout game to avoid injury to Kolb, but other than that Kolb is a smart guy and needs to learn on the fly.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Having Dan Williams playing 1 down a series for the cashe he's making just rubs me the wrong way...not you saying it Mitch, just the need for that situation

I hear you MRYB. I feel the same way. Maybe two downs at a time for now. Build him up bit by bit.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
LOL on using Campbell or Dockett as rush ends in 4-down situations. Neither of them are quick enough to get around offensive tackles on a regular basis. That's why Dockett played the nose in passing situations last year--he's quick enough to get around OGs and OCs, but not more athletic tackles.

Sadly, I think we're going to see Stewart Bradley as the Nickel pass rusher ahead of both Schofield and Acho, which is ridiculous.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
no need for shots.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no need for shots

Seandonic

Gotta love that Cardinal red!
Reaction score
I agree with some of your thoughts Mitch but I just don't think much can be done to fix the situation the team finds itself in with regards to Dockett playing anywhere in a 3-4 defense. It's a waste of his true talents (IMHO). I'm very interested to see how Horton approaches this situation.

Even Dockett admitted that he didn't like Horton's D at first because all he will be asked to do is occupy blockers so that others can be the disruptive forces. To his credit, he says he'll do it because he wants to win. Bottom section of this article: http://www.azcardinals.com/news-and-events/article-2/Carter-Fits-The-Middle/4e2fcc0a-e742-4a83-9e1e-220fd8143263

Dockett IS the disruptive force and to employ him in any other fashion is to in effect, incapacitate him.

It's like sticking RB Jerome Bettis in a offense like the Rams "greatest show on turf" offense of 99. Sure, he'd perform decently because he was a great player but he never would have realized his true potential.

P.S. I love DD as a player and what he brings personality wise but I'd swap him out for a of stud pass rushing 3-4 OLB in a N.Y. minute.

Last edited:

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have removed the non football related pot shots. They need to stop.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
I agree with some of your thoughts Mitch but I just don't think much can be done to fix the situation the team finds itself in with regards to Dockett playing anywhere in a 3-4 defense. It's a waste of his true talents (IMHO). I'm very interested to see how Horton approaches this situation.

Even Dockett admitted that he didn't like Horton's D at first because all he will be asked to do is occupy blockers so that others can be the disruptive forces. To his credit, he says he'll do it because he wants to win. Bottom section of this article: http://www.azcardinals.com/news-and-events/article-2/Carter-Fits-The-Middle/4e2fcc0a-e742-4a83-9e1e-220fd8143263

Dockett IS the disruptive force and to employ him in any other fashion is to in effect, incapacitate him.

It's like sticking RB Jerome Bettis in a offense like the Rams "greatest show on turf" offense of 99. Sure, he'd perform decently because he was a great player but he never would have realized his true potential.

P.S. I love DD as a player and what he brings personality wise but I'd swap him out for a of stud pass rushing 3-4 OLB in a N.Y. minute.

Good points about DD in the 34, Sean.

I keep thinking how Keith Butler insisted that his edge rushers be bull rushers---and the reason is speed guys tend to go wide of the pocket, whereas bull rushers tend to push the QB up into the pocket, where the DTs could sack him.

I believe that Dockett would relish the opportunity to show his bull rushing ability on the edge---maybe I'm wrong---but especially since he is sacrificing his love for penetrating the defense in the disciplined 5 technique.

Dockett and Campbell are outstanding athletes---I think they could surprise us in a variety of ways.

And I wouldn't be searching for them to take on new roles in the 4 man rush if we had bona fide rush DEs there---which is the issue.

Searching for answers....using the current personnel.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Mitch-----the scenario where you address the void left by A-Dub's injury in intriguing to say the least. I would like to see that addressed as you have said. As for PP-21, he could simply be assigned one receiver, and instructed to play him man up, and shut him down. He already has that ability and understands that concept. Marshall, meanwhile, has gained enough knowledge to attempt the SS slot, even though he is still learning the nuances of the LaBeau defensive scheme. This appears to have real merit to fill in for Wilson's absence until he regains health. I would like to see that tried.

Early

Registered
Reaction score
LOL on using Campbell or Dockett as rush ends in 4-down situations. Neither of them are quick enough to get around offensive tackles on a regular basis. That's why Dockett played the nose in passing situations last year--he's quick enough to get around OGs and OCs, but not more athletic tackles.

Sadly, I think we're going to see Stewart Bradley as the Nickel pass rusher ahead of both Schofield and Acho, which is ridiculous.

I really like the idea of Dockett and Campbell as ends in 4-3. They are both one gap players and as 5 technique , protecting the C gap, they would both be good. IMO. They would add much more in the run defense, sealing off the edges. When keeping an eye on one gap, they are both good run defenders, especially Dockett. However, it's when you ask them to keep an eye on two adjacent gaps, that they fail.

Last year I remember Davis lining up Dockett in that wide 5 tech only once as part of a 4-3 front. The result was a sack. It was against the Cowboys and I took the time to find the link on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GgfM8oFM_E&feature=player_embedded#!

He is the LDE and the three other lineman have one gap responsibilities and alignment of a 4-3 defense. We see the safety come down to LOS over the TE and drop back before the play starts. Watson is the NT, 1 tech, Branch is the 3 tech UT and I can't see who is on the other side of Dockett as RDE on the blindside.

The result is amazing, domination. No, he is not that quick, but not slow either, remember he is one of the most, if not the, most explosive DT in the entire league. His first step from the inside is what made him so feared among the guards in NFL. He never bull rushes anyone in the traditional sense with both hands on the numbers and pushing them back. But when he gets that step on your side, he has extreme lower body power and strength to carry you along and eventually they get off balance and he uses his hands to finish it off. He knows ho to use his arms, that's the key for any pass rusher. It's a kind of bullrush but different one. It's one play and one sack, that's very good statistics I guess although the sample size is very low as it can get. I have been holding an eye all year long if they would place him in this position and I was thrilled to see the result. I think Davis made a mistake to not use him there any more, but I guess that 3-4 was the more the base he wanted and even when he used 4-3, Dockett is also a force from the inside so he used him there.

In traditional 3-4, there is no place for him. He can't two gap, and so can't Campbell. They both struggle in reading plays and play laterally, which is also keys for 3-4. They fit 4-3 much more. And i'm just excited for how CC would do as that 4-3 LDE. He is a great pass rusher, his technique for getting separation is never based on quickness, but rather use of his hands and frame. That's why i'm very confident it would work just as well on the edge.

I think they would be just as good pass rushers outside and in addition they would bring an entire new dimension in sealing the edge in the run game. I don't think they are Freeney and Mathis, no. But they would add the pressure needed on 1st and 2nd downs and shut down the run. That would force the teams in more obvious passing downs where you can get creative with blitz packages.

Dockett's most natural position is the UT in 4-3, and especially if the secondary plays Tampa-2. In that way he could only focus on shooting one gap and not read the plays.

Strength, technique and use of hands is the key, Reggie White was dominating the tackles regularly by these skills, and not quickness necessary.

I'm very sad to see how bad the players fit the scheme coaches want to run. There is nothing that matches really, and that makes it harder. The talent is for sure there.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
I really like the idea of Dockett and Campbell as ends in 4-3. They are both one gap players and as 5 technique , protecting the C gap, they would both be good. IMO. They would add much more in the run defense, sealing off the edges. When keeping an eye on one gap, they are both good run defenders, especially Dockett. However, it's when you ask them to keep an eye on two adjacent gaps, that they fail.

Last year I remember Davis lining up Dockett in that wide 5 tech only once as part of a 4-3 front. The result was a sack. It was against the Cowboys and I took the time to find the link on youtube:

He is the LDE and the three other lineman have one gap responsibilities and alignment of a 4-3 defense. We see the safety come down to LOS over the TE and drop back before the play starts. Watson is the NT, 1 tech, Branch is the 3 tech UT and I can't see who is on the other side of Dockett as RDE on the blindside.

The result is amazing, domination. No, he is not that quick, but not slow either, remember he is one of the most, if not the, most explosive DT in the entire league. His first step from the inside is what made him so feared among the guards in NFL. He never bull rushes anyone in the traditional sense with both hands on the numbers and pushing them back. But when he gets that step on your side, he has extreme lower body power and strength to carry you along and eventually they get off balance and he uses his hands to finish it off. He knows ho to use his arms, that's the key for any pass rusher. It's a kind of bullrush but different one. It's one play and one sack, that's very good statistics I guess although the sample size is very low as it can get. I have been holding an eye all year long if they would place him in this position and I was thrilled to see the result. I think Davis made a mistake to not use him there any more, but I guess that 3-4 was the more the base he wanted and even when he used 4-3, Dockett is also a force from the inside so he used him there.

In traditional 3-4, there is no place for him. He can't two gap, and so can't Campbell. They both struggle in reading plays and play laterally, which is also keys for 3-4. They fit 4-3 much more. And i'm just excited for how CC would do as that 4-3 LDE. He is a great pass rusher, his technique for getting separation is never based on quickness, but rather use of his hands and frame. That's why i'm very confident it would work just as well on the edge.

I think they would be just as good pass rushers outside and in addition they would bring an entire new dimension in sealing the edge in the run game. I don't think they are Freeney and Mathis, no. But they would add the pressure needed on 1st and 2nd downs and shut down the run. That would force the teams in more obvious passing downs where you can get creative with blitz packages.

Dockett's most natural position is the UT in 4-3, and especially if the secondary plays Tampa-2. In that way he could only focus on shooting one gap and not read the plays.

Strength, technique and use of hands is the key, Reggie White was dominating the tackles regularly by these skills, and not quickness necessary.

I'm very sad to see how bad the players fit the scheme coaches want to run. There is nothing that matches really, and that makes it harder. The talent is for sure there.

Wow Early----I pulled that site up and looked at it and you appear to really be on to something here. I am blown away that your memory of this was so strong and clear. This seems to be an excellent use of our current talent. Thanks for pointing that out.

By the way, keep posting, your efforts are appreciated here.

Early

Registered
Reaction score
As for PP-21, he could simply be assigned one receiver, and instructed to play him man up, and shut him down. He already has that ability and understands that concept.

I love the idea. And how about keeping DRC and let him do the same on opposite side of PP-21, because he is also awesome playing the man? And then play aggressive Bear 46 defense up front, and sack QB's. It's very simple to install even over a short offseason than the complicated zone blitz defense. DRC and Peterson, neither are players that you want to think too much out there playing zones. They needs simple assignments. There is a receiver, shut him down. You go do that. Period.

However, they want zone coverage, Horton has said he would play zones almost 100% of the time. Peterson looked lost out there last game trying to roam from the 1st to 2nd receivers hitting his zones. He was slow reacting, because he was thinking too much, he looked confused. Never done it before and it will take time, and the question is, will he ever learn it? For sure DRC never did. Also, playing 10 yards off the man, will result in ton of short completions, as it did against DRC. Will that affect Peterson like it affected DRC? Pandergast played him in man for a nice stretch in the superbowl season, and he got into the rhythm of playing man and the result was amazing.

I love the concept of drafting players that suit the scheme you want to run. Cardinals bring in all kind of different players and than try to make something out of it. I don't see that working. Everybody on that field needs to match the scheme.

dylanbw

Registered
Reaction score
Mitch - great stuff as always....

OL/TE:

Concern: Edge pass protection.

Suggestion: Line up Jeff King or Todd Heap to the best pass rusher's side (Charles Johnson Game 1) and flex him to outside shoulder of the DE and have him chip down/double team with the T...then release on a quick out......

....this one is so obvious, it has almost no chance of actually happening. Larry Centers was the GOAT at that.....

On another note, is there any link to watch the Cards vs Packers game online?

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score

Wow! Post of the day, week, month, year!:raccoon: A brilliant summation and analysis---said with such clarity, accuracy and thoroughness. Many many thanks, Early! Can't wait for your freeze frame breakdowns of the AZ/GB game!

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
However, they want zone coverage, Horton has said he would play zones almost 100% of the time.

When did he say that? Link?

I have only heard him say it would be a mix.

Honest Question, never heard him say that before in any interview, radio or print.

Last edited:

jerseyred

Rookie
Reaction score
I dont get all this Stewart Bradley this and that he lost his job at philly was on the bench and now he is going to be this outside pass rusher.... come on

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
I dont get all this Stewart Bradley this and that he lost his job at philly was on the bench and now he is going to be this outside pass rusher.... come on

Bradley was a DE at Nebraska...interesting that even Sando on ESPN tied Bradley to the improvement of the Cardinals' pass rush. He's got proto-typical 34 OLB size (6-4, 258) and he was delighted to come to a 34 team which he thinks fits his skills.

Hey we are begging for edge players---and maybe the coaches try him on the edge with the thought that DWash and PLen can get the job done well in the middle.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Bradley was a DE at Nebraska...interesting that even Sando on ESPN tied Bradley to the improvement of the Cardinals' pass rush. He's got proto-typical 34 OLB size (6-4, 258) and he was delighted to come to a 34 team which he thinks fits his skills.

Hey we are begging for edge players---and maybe the coaches try him on the edge with the thought that DWash and PLen can get the job done well in the middle.

We're begging for edge players because the Cards are trying to run a 3-4 with 4-3 personnel. Just like they used to run a 4-3 when they had 3-4 personnel.

Dockett,Watson,Branch,Campbell...where did you see that? Inside the 10. Where was the Cards defense most effective the last couple of years? Inside the 10.

Regardless I just hope Horton realizes before September 11, 2011 that a front line of Haggans, Dockett, and Campbell in pass situations is an open invitation to a 14 yard run for a first down.

Early

Registered
Reaction score
When did he say that? Link?

I have only heard him say it would be a mix.

Honest Question, never heard him say that before in any interview, radio or print.

http://www.azcardinals.com/photos-v...y-Horton/5763a7fd-9827-4a02-b194-666f751c3495

I just saw this video again. He doesn't say it like that. But he does say they (Steelers) played 12 snaps in total all year long of pure man coverage underneath. And he indicates that it will be very similar scheme the Cardinals are going to run this year. There will be mixing of man and zones on individual plays, to confuse the QB's, probably players are going to mix, but of course, no scheme in NFL is purely man or zone, they are all mixes of different degree. I believe that Steelers CB's are playing zones predominantly, and that's most likely what he will try to do here as well. I think this indicates that Peterson will need to learn zone defense very well to be effective out there on the field, that's going to be a key for him. The first preseason game also indicates the same.

By the way, Horton seems as such a great guy. He really seems to have learned how to treat players well. Also, he explains the defense and it is quiet obvious how complicated such a fire zone blitz scheme is to learn and execute and how much time it takes to learn.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
I love the idea. And how about keeping DRC and let him do the same on opposite side of PP-21, because he is also awesome playing the man? And then play aggressive Bear 46 defense up front, and sack QB's. It's very simple to install even over a short offseason than the complicated zone blitz defense. DRC and Peterson, neither are players that you want to think too much out there playing zones. They needs simple assignments. There is a receiver, shut him down. You go do that. Period.

However, they want zone coverage, Horton has said he would play zones almost 100% of the time. Peterson looked lost out there last game trying to roam from the 1st to 2nd receivers hitting his zones. He was slow reacting, because he was thinking too much, he looked confused. Never done it before and it will take time, and the question is, will he ever learn it? For sure DRC never did. Also, playing 10 yards off the man, will result in ton of short completions, as it did against DRC. Will that affect Peterson like it affected DRC? Pandergast played him in man for a nice stretch in the superbowl season, and he got into the rhythm of playing man and the result was amazing.

I love the concept of drafting players that suit the scheme you want to run. Cardinals bring in all kind of different players and than try to make something out of it. I don't see that working. Everybody on that field needs to match the scheme.

I couldn't agree with you more on drafting the BPA in your area of need. We have not had great results trying to fill holes with free agents. I really don't know if that is because the ownership is reluctant to pay; or if the front office is too slow in making decisions; or if players just don't want to come here due to our past reputation. (It's probably some of each). In any event, I am tired of watching our coaching staff pound square pegs into round holes in order to fill slots. I just isn't working for us.