Cardinals: Please Claim QB Shane Boyd

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
When I heard that Pittsburgh cut 5th round draft pick QB Omar Jacobs, I was disappointed because I figured that meant the Steelers were keeping Shane Boyd. When I just perused the early cut postings on nfl.com, the Steelers have also cut Shane Boyd...which leaves them with 2 QBs: Big Ben and Charlie Batch.

Boyd is a splendid athlete...we saw him play well against us in game one...NFL arm and excellent legs...not especially experienced, though, but for my money he'd make an ideal #3 because he got a lot of snaps during the Steelers' pre-season games and he would be an ideal scout team QB because he has the good, live arm and the scrambling ability to keep the defense honest.

Go Cards...claim this guy...right now!

Card Trader

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I don't agree with you on many things, but on this I do. He looks like he has a TON of promise.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
:shrug: New Orleans is going to cut Adrian McPherson in the next couple weeks after they can reach an injury settlement with him. I'd rather get that guy. Tons more potential.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any of those mentioned in this thread would be more valuable to have at #3 QB than Navarre.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BTW, why did Jacobs get cut?

That guy has a lot of potential.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Jacobs has a worse throwing motion than John Navarre...he sidearms the ball...which for a kid his size, negates his greatest assets (a la Navarre)...guess the Steelers couldn't change him (just yet...since they cut Shane Boyd and only have 2 QBs on the roster, they probably will sign Jacobs to the PS, that is, if Jacobs isn't claimed). If Jacobs is claimed...it will be interesting to see what the Steelers do...they may be hoping that Boyd won't be claimed or signed by another team so they can re-sign him in week 2 and not have to guarantee his contract...or...they may have their eye on another QB.

The Steelers are going with 2 QBs...it just shows how valuable these roster spots are...every one needs to be a major contributor either in the two deep depth chart or on special teams.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mitch said:
Jacobs has a worse throwing motion than John Navarre...he sidearms the ball...which for a kid his size, negates his greatest assets (a la Navarre)...guess the Steelers couldn't change him (just yet...since they cut Shane Boyd and only have 2 QBs on the roster, they probably will sign Jacobs to the PS, that is, if Jacobs isn't claimed). If Jacobs is claimed...it will be interesting to see what the Steelers do...they may be hoping that Boyd won't be claimed or signed by another team so they can re-sign him in week 2 and not have to guarantee his contract...or...they may have their eye on another QB.

The Steelers are going with 2 QBs...it just shows how valuable these roster spots are...every one needs to be a major contributor either in the two deep depth chart or on special teams.

Interesting...I really wish we were going with 2 QBs too.

I didn't think that Jacobs motion was THAT bad, but regardless...his potential is far larger than Navarre's. Navarre simply can NOT see defenses.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Mitch said:

The Steelers fan sitting next to me at the preseason game said that Jacobs was having a hard time remembering the playcalls from the sideline to the huddle. There were questions about his football acumen starting at the combine. I wonder if he regrets his decision to come out now.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Anyone intrigued with these cut players?

NYG S Quentin Harris...was a good special teamer and decent backup SS here.

BAL QB Brian St. Pierre...spent a few years as the Steelers' #3...has ability.

DEN RB Ron Dayne...he's been hurt, but, he's still a load, esp. in short yardage.

CIN FB Corey McIntyre...the odd man out of a crowded and talented FB rotation in Cincy.

CLE DT Babatunde Oshinowo...I think Russ would be as excited for the Cardinals to add him as I would be for the Cardinals to add Shane Boyd.

CLE CB Pete Hunter...we almost traded for this guy when he was with Dallas...he's a speedy aggressive corner.

STL QB Dave Ragone...another lefty...would seem to be an upgrade at #3.

PIT TE Charles Davis...6th round pick from Purdue is big (6'6" 265) and is a good prospect.

NO QB Adrian McPherson...raw, but multi-talented.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
How about Shane Falco?

You must be registered for see images

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bradlee Van Pelt isn't exactly chopped liver. He gashed us pretty good Friday night. Denver just released him.

Shogun

Never doubt Mitch. EVER.
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
:shrug: New Orleans is going to cut Adrian McPherson in the next couple weeks after they can reach an injury settlement with him. I'd rather get that guy. Tons more potential.
Co-sign. We can definitely make something out of this kid.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Love the Boyd idea! He's young, extremely athletic. Great arm. Fast & Strong...
Who knows if he can effectively throw the ball in the NFL - but can he be any worse than Navarre??

Forget about McPherson... He's done...

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
82CardsGrad said:
Love the Boyd idea! He's young, extremely athletic. Great arm. Fast & Strong...
Who knows if he can effectively throw the ball in the NFL - but can he be any worse than Navarre??

Forget about McPherson... He's done...

He's done? He got caught in a coaching change in New Orleans and was run over by a mascot's golf cart. The kid's still only 23 years old, I think. How in the world has Boyd shown anything more when it counted?

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
He's done? He got caught in a coaching change in New Orleans and was run over by a mascot's golf cart. The kid's still only 23 years old, I think. How in the world has Boyd shown anything more when it counted?

McPherson has alot of years squeezed into those 23 of his... I question his ability and his commitment... I could be wrong and who knows, he may move on and surprise alot of people. But for my money, I would take Boyd over McPherson 7 days a week and twice on Sunday...

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
abomb said:
How about Shane Falco?

You must be registered for see images
:biglaugh: Maybe they can sign Johnny Utah!!

You must be registered for see images attach

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
82CardsGrad said:
McPherson has alot of years squeezed into those 23 of his... I question his ability and his commitment... I could be wrong and who knows, he may move on and surprise alot of people. But for my money, I would take Boyd over McPherson 7 days a week and twice on Sunday...

Again, how has Shane Boyd shown more than McPherson? He was the best player in the Arena League in the one season that he played there. He's raw and inexperienced, but he's got as much if not more physical potential than Shane Boyd, who hasn't done anything ever.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
New additions to cut list

DAL T Rob Petitte...started all 16 games at RT as a rookie last year...struggled at times as one would expect...but he's a run blocker who might be better at guard.

DAL OLB Rocky Boiman...pretty solid player.

HOU MLB Sam Cowart...veteran who might still be productive in the right scenario.

HOU OLB Kenneth Pettway...has the physical attributes as a WLB that Pendy likes...quick to the ball and a speedy pass rusher.

BigRedArk

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
JeffGollin said:
Bradlee Van Pelt isn't exactly chopped liver. He gashed us pretty good Friday night. Denver just released him.

I saw that Dener just cut him as well Jeff. I like him. He would be far better than Navarre I think. He gashed us last year pretty good too. They say he has a spaghetti arm I think but we could do a lot worse.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
Again, how has Shane Boyd shown more than McPherson? He was the best player in the Arena League in the one season that he played there. He's raw and inexperienced, but he's got as much if not more physical potential than Shane Boyd, who hasn't done anything ever.

You know, K9, you're like the boss who asks the rookie job applicant if he has any experience...it's got to start somewhere.

Didn't you see Shane Boyd play against the Cardinals? He gave us fits...he was throwing frozen ropes right on target (some key ones were dropped) and when the protection broke down he took off for nice chunks of yards and, in particular on two long third down conversions.

If you have the tape, pal, check Boyd out...the eyes won't deceive.

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
I would sign Van Pelt in a heartbeat. He's crush the Cards the last two years in pre-season.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Mitch said:
You know, K9, you're like the boss who asks the rookie job applicant if he has any experience...it's got to start somewhere.

Didn't you see Shane Boyd play against the Cardinals? He gave us fits...he was throwing frozen ropes right on target (some key ones were dropped) and when the protection broke down he took off for nice chunks of yards and, in particular on two long third down conversions.

If you have the tape, pal, check Boyd out...the eyes won't deceive.

Yup... and hey, I am not at all suggesting that Boyd would be the next McNair or McNabb... Though you never know... But I think he would be a terrific #3. Someone who if we were desparate and needed to go to our 3rd option - god forbid - he can come in and use his immense talent and huge skill set to change up the flow of the game, and make things happen.
Additionally, he has talents beyond QB and if Denny ever wanted to get funky, a guy like Boyd can be used in similar fashion to the way Kordell Stewart was used... Boyd can be another Slash!

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
They should sign a guy as close as possible in size and playing style to Matt Hasselback.