Cardinals: Please Claim QB Shane Boyd

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would love Ragone as a #3. He has experience and some ability.

Boyd looked good in the only game I saw him in.

McPherson has the most upside, IMO. The big qustion is whether he ever lives up to his ability.

Between upside (Boyd, McPherson) and current ability (Ragone) all 3 would be better than Navarre.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Assface said:

McPherson has the most upside, IMO. The big qustion is whether he ever lives up to his ability.

Between upside (Boyd, McPherson) and current ability (Ragone) all 3 would be better than Navarre.

TRUE...

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Mitch said:
You know, K9, you're like the boss who asks the rookie job applicant if he has any experience...it's got to start somewhere.

Didn't you see Shane Boyd play against the Cardinals? He gave us fits...he was throwing frozen ropes right on target (some key ones were dropped) and when the protection broke down he took off for nice chunks of yards and, in particular on two long third down conversions.

If you have the tape, pal, check Boyd out...the eyes won't deceive.

Honestly, I really don't care. I know that you're still stinging from your projected FB starter being summarily dumped before the regular season even begins. But doubt my football acumen.

I don't understand dogging McPherson and saying that "he's done" based on basically nothing except a sparkling audition in the Arena League and some mistakes that he made three years ago. There were a lot of people on this board who were hoping that the Cards would take Peterson with their 4th round pick two years ago. There's been nothing to change their minds.

And I'm not really that impressed with Shane Boyd. Yes, he looked good against our defense, but so did every quarterback we faced. Arizona was second from the bottom in the preseason in pass yards per game, trailing only Minnesota. Shane Boyd went 8 for 16 for 67 yards, a 4.2 YPA average, 0 TDs and 1 INT.

In Week 2, against Minnesotta--remember, the worst passing defense in the preseason, Boyd went 6 for 17 for 83 yards, no TDs and no INTs. 4.9 YPA average.

Week 3? 9 for 14 for 91 yards, no TDs, 1 INT against the Eagles.

Boyd didn't even play in the Steelers' final preseason game. I'm not ready to say that he's the next coming of anything, since I don't see him being all that superior to John Navarre. Seneca Wallace was a better preseason passer than Shane Boyd was.

So, no, I'm not really impressed with Shane Boyd's 46.5 passer rating this preseason against some of the crappiest passing defenses. Maybe the tape doesn't lie.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Assface said:

Well said...and Bradlee Van Pelt is a tough, gritty player who is mobile and highly competitive, despite not having proto-typical arm strength.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shane Boyd sucks and will not be a QB in this league. I say go after Ragone.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
Honestly, I really don't care. I know that you're still stinging from your projected FB starter being summarily dumped before the regular season even begins. But doubt my football acumen.

I don't understand dogging McPherson and saying that "he's done" based on basically nothing except a sparkling audition in the Arena League and some mistakes that he made three years ago. There were a lot of people on this board who were hoping that the Cards would take Peterson with their 4th round pick two years ago. There's been nothing to change their minds.

And I'm not really that impressed with Shane Boyd. Yes, he looked good against our defense, but so did every quarterback we faced. Arizona was second from the bottom in the preseason in pass yards per game, trailing only Minnesota. Shane Boyd went 8 for 16 for 67 yards, a 4.2 YPA average, 0 TDs and 1 INT.

In Week 2, against Minnesotta--remember, the worst passing defense in the preseason, Boyd went 6 for 17 for 83 yards, no TDs and no INTs. 4.9 YPA average.

Week 3? 9 for 14 for 91 yards, no TDs, 1 INT against the Eagles.

Boyd didn't even play in the Steelers' final preseason game. I'm not ready to say that he's the next coming of anything, since I don't see him being all that superior to John Navarre. Seneca Wallace was a better preseason passer than Shane Boyd was.

So, no, I'm not really impressed with Shane Boyd's 46.5 passer rating this preseason against some of the crappiest passing defenses. Maybe the tape doesn't lie.

Don't forget, K9, that several of his passes were dropped...and what about his rushing stats? If I remember correctly, he put up some good yards on the ground in pre-season.

The thing is...he has the arm strength and the legs...which at the very least makes him a very good scout team QB.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
82CardsGrad said:
Yup... and hey, I am not at all suggesting that Boyd would be the next McNair or McNabb... Though you never know... But I think he would be a terrific #3. Someone who if we were desparate and needed to go to our 3rd option - god forbid - he can come in and use his immense talent and huge skill set to change up the flow of the game, and make things happen.
Additionally, he has talents beyond QB and if Denny ever wanted to get funky, a guy like Boyd can be used in similar fashion to the way Kordell Stewart was used... Boyd can be another Slash!

This is what's really, really unfounded about this. If you have a man-crush on the guy because he completed 50% of his passes in the quarter that you saw him play, that's fine. But to say that he has "immense talent and huge skill set" is just plain untrue. The guy only completed 52.5% of his passes in college, and only started one season. He hasn't even shown that he has a skill set beyond his physical attributes, and it takes more than that to make it as a quarterback at the highest level.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
This is what's really, really unfounded about this. If you have a man-crush on the guy because he completed 50% of his passes in the quarter that you saw him play, that's fine. But to say that he has "immense talent and huge skill set" is just plain untrue. The guy only completed 52.5% of his passes in college, and only started one season. He hasn't even shown that he has a skill set beyond his physical attributes, and it takes more than that to make it as a quarterback at the highest level.

I hate to say it but I actually completely agree with Benjamin! :shock:

Boyd will be out of football before to long if not already. There are way better options out there.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Mitch said:
Don't forget, K9, that several of his passes were dropped...and what about his rushing stats? If I remember correctly, he put up some good yards on the ground in pre-season.

The thing is...he has the arm strength and the legs...which at the very least makes him a very good scout team QB.

10 rushes for 78 yards? That's the preseason as a whole. He had 4 rushes for 16 yards against the Cardinals. So... what about those rushing stats? Leinart had 4 rushes for 42 yards in three preseason games. Doesn't make either of them Michael Vick.

The Cards are going to see one real rushing QB this season in Vick. Hasselback isn't much of a scrambler, and neither is Favre anymore. The rest of the schedule features strong-armed statues like Bledsoe, Bulger, Kitna, etc. Players that could much better be mocked by Navarre than a runner.

If we're talking about developmental prospects, Mitch, do you really think that Boyd has more potential than McPherson? Really?

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
10 rushes for 78 yards? That's the preseason as a whole. He had 4 rushes for 16 yards against the Cardinals. So... what about those rushing stats? Leinart had 4 rushes for 42 yards in three preseason games. Doesn't make either of them Michael Vick.

The Cards are going to see one real rushing QB this season in Vick. Hasselback isn't much of a scrambler, and neither is Favre anymore. The rest of the schedule features strong-armed statues like Bledsoe, Bulger, Kitna, etc. Players that could much better be mocked by Navarre than a runner.

If we're talking about developmental prospects, Mitch, do you really think that Boyd has more potential than McPherson? Really?

I didn't say that Boyd has more potential than McPherson...McPherson has uncanny potential. I was impressed with Boyd's play in game one...he reminded me of the Jaguars' David Garrard...sits tall in the pocket, delivers the ball with speed and accuracy and beats you with his legs when you crowd him...which is exactly what Garrard did to the Cards last year.

Boyd remains a project...but...I like his talent, despite his lack of experience.

BigRedArk

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Mitch said:
DAL T Rob Petitte...started all 16 games at RT as a rookie last year...struggled at times as one would expect...but he's a run blocker who might be better at guard.
DAL OLB Rocky Boiman...pretty solid player.

HOU MLB Sam Cowart...veteran who might still be productive in the right scenario.

HOU OLB Kenneth Pettway...has the physical attributes as a WLB that Pendy likes...quick to the ball and a speedy pass rusher.

I wonder if Pettiti could help us on the OL? I wonder if we could use Oshinowo although we seem to be pretty deep at DT. He is probably headed for Cleveland's PS.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
The Rams just acquired G/T Adam Goldberg from the Vikings for a 2007 draft pick. And it looks like T Mike Rosenthal has been kept by the Vikings.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Mitch said:
I didn't say that Boyd has more potential than McPherson...McPherson has uncanny potential. I was impressed with Boyd's play in game one...he reminded me of the Jaguars' David Garrard...sits tall in the pocket, delivers the ball with speed and accuracy and beats you with his legs when you crowd him...which is exactly what Garrard did to the Cards last year.

Boyd remains a project...but...I like his talent, despite his lack of experience.

Except that Garrard actually beat the Cardinals, and Boyd didn't do anything against them. Or any of the other teams that he's faced. But besides that, the comparison is uncanny.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
First I am glad we didnt have the chance to bring in Goldberg or Rosenthal. Rosthenthal especially is just plain old bad.

As for Petitti - Just say no. The run game stalled to his side of the OL, he had 8 penalties, and was one of the worst if not the worst pass protecting RT in the NFL last year, not only allowing 14 sacks allowed but allowing a ton of QB hits and hurries as well. There is a reason Dallas brought on a ton of new guys to push him off the roster.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
The one guy with no potential is Navarre... Grab someone else plz.

I would rather of seen us keep Hodgins & cut Navarre...

Shogun

Never doubt Mitch. EVER.
Reaction score
Mitch said:
McPherson has that, too, and is better at it. So what is your argument?

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Shane H said:
Shane Boyd sucks and will not be a QB in this league. I say go after Ragone.

agree...with van pelt in the family photo

adam goldberg was cut by the vikings....also a guy was cut by NE was their starting SAM LB last year lost out to Seau this year...but we still need to do something in the DB for me to get better sleep!!

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Why would you want a guy with potential as your #3 if you already have a young stud QB?

Wouldn't it make more sense to bring in a grizzled vet under the vet exemption who could tutor and play in a pinch and not kill you?

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
Except that Garrard actually beat the Cardinals, and Boyd didn't do anything against them. Or any of the other teams that he's faced. But besides that, the comparison is uncanny.

You know, K9, anything to be contentious, huh?

I like Boyd...you don't. BFD.

It seems like all you do is come onto these posts and issue stern rebuttals in a contentious manner.

I don't mind disagreements (in fact, the board would be dull without them)...but your act is getting very old...and banal.

It would be one thing if you ever agreed on a point or showed due respect to posters who write thoughtful posts...

And it seems like once you hop into a thread with your little sword of Damocles, the integrity of the thread goes to pieces.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mitch said:

It seems like all you do is come onto these posts and issue stern rebuttals in a contentious manner.

I don't mind disagreements (in fact, the board would be dull without them)...but your act is getting very old...and banal.

It would be one thing if you ever agreed on a point or showed due respect to posters who write thoughtful posts...

And it seems like once you hop into a thread with your little sword of Damocles, the integrity of the thread goes to pieces.

Well stated.:thumbup:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Mitch said:

Mitch you forgot to add a shrug or rolleyes. IMO K9 gets bored and just comes on the board to start cyber arguments. K9 is contentious even when you try to agree with K9's take.

Cpt. Call wouldn't tolerate his behavior.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
The guy who got cut that i would like to see brought in Ben Wilkerson. The only problem is maybe he's not going to ever get fully recoverd from his knee injury in college.But, while at LSU, he was about as good a C as their was. If he is healthy then he should definitely be looked at.

nathan

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
azsouthendzone said:
:biglaugh: Maybe they can sign Johnny Utah!!

You must be registered for see images attach
I am pretty sure that guy was done after his knee was bent 90 degrees in the wrong direction during the Rose Bowl.