Cardinals sign CB Fred Bennett

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Cardinals did make a push for a rather well known free agent at the CB position but he signed with the Eagles.

this assumes this well know CB was the lone CB on the market who could have helped besides Marshall, who it's impossible to argue was anything but mediocre to just plain bad last year. This was the deepest CB class in memory in FA and I'm sorry but everyone KNEW DRC was going to be involved in that trade.

how they didn't try and protect themselves by signing one of those very solid corners and seemingly were going to go into the season starting a 2nd year UDFA guy with zero experience as the number 2 corner with all the money we had under the cap just doesn't make a lot of sense.

not filling AW's shoes with 9 million still under the cap doesn't make a lot of sense either. did the team learn nothing from what we did with Hayes last year... or did they learn nothing from watching how Wilson played with injury last year?

There were very solid CBs available in FA which would have solidified the position rather than depending on cast-offs from terrible teams, UDFAs and rookies and there were S available after AW went down and we did nothing to try and shore those areas up.

that doesn't make sense to me.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
That's the way I see it too.

Just look at the junk we've had over the years and tell me with a straight face that they were better than what we've from Jefferson and Peterson thus far? Richard Marshall would've been our #1 corner those years, with fans of this team talking about how awesome Fred Bennett is going to be.

IMO this group has the potential to be pretty good. Jefferson looks like he can play in this league, and Peterson is a top 5% athlete in the NFL. I think we'll see some rough games, but some good ones as well.

Bingo. And I bet Fred Bennett is blushing with all of the attention he's getting on this thread.

AJ looks like he's playing with a purpose (not just to make the team) and PP has endless potential. They were talking on the last Underground podcast that during an interview with Horton (it was conducted by either Urban or Calvisi), he went out of his way without being asked to talk about AJ at length. That's encouraging coming from a DC who played corner in the league for championship teams.

Fred Bennett is nothing more than a dime corner or insurance policy for Mike Adams. Much ado about nothing, IMO

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I have no problem waiting....I just don't want to wait until after 8 games and we sit at 3-5 or worse, to find out the team has major holes again:bang:

I am however, willing to wait to see if the FO can find CB help after the cut down. I really don't think they are going looking for OLBs for the pass rush and that concerns me somewhat. Not sure there is anyone to be had in that dept anyway. Maybe a solid safety could be had if they dont think A dub can go and I think we're all wondering about RB

It's also about what do you have. With pp, toler, and marshall, while another cb would have been good, it's hard to plan beyond that when the guy you were looking at is gone. With AJ's stepping up, it made it look like they didn't need to sign another guy. Who knows what was seen exactly when, but it did look a little while ago like we had 4 guys able to play cb at a pro level. That's not a situation where you normally go out and keep signing guys.

Of course an injury hits one of your starters, and the position gets put into question again. We very well could have issues, or maybe not. At this point it's hard to sign good players since most of the guys worth signing are now gone. But we did pick up this bennett guy, and while I don't know what he is, at least he has been in pro football for a few seasons.

I too wouldn't mind picking up a guy that might somehow get cut that when compared to other teams would be considered pretty good. If so, hopefully we pick him up.

It's also about do you think the guy is really any better than a guy you have on the team....or will this just cloud the picture up a bit by having too many indians and not enough chiefs. (i.e. too many guys too similar in apparent quality). At that point you may make the wrong decision more easily and waste resources. Who knows exactly if it plays out like that. But ideally you want to pick up a guy you know will make a difference if you are going to add another guy. At this point we're not adding, we're replacing. So hopefully we'll replace the bottom guy on the totem with a better guy. Even then, I think at least in some aspects we'll be pleasantly surprised (stopping run from cb's) and have a shot at being pretty good in passing d with our top two corners. If pp develops quickly, aj continues in the regular season his preseason play, and marshall continues inching up his play a bit.

Same goes with our olb's. Who is out there that really will make a difference. If not, then it might be better just to see what you got, give guys chances, and enable you to plan for next offseason better by getting to know your own players better. We've had a lot of turnover, and it's time to let some guys play and see where it lands in order to plan the next moves, next year.

If it's like most years, the cards will probably pick up 3-4 cuts from people. Like everyone T, RB, OLB, CB would be my guesses. But I think Tackle is the most important position right now. RB next. OLB I think Scho's will man it up this year, and I'm waiting to see how well the others attack in regular season. Schemes can help alot, as well as guys tiring down by 4th quarter when it's regular season. We also aren't showing everything in preseason. So I think OLB is a mystery. But behind door number 3 might be a big turd.

It's hard to fill holes when we still don't know what we got with so much turnover and injuries, and newly signed guys. We have to play to figure out if we need to go with another guy that might suck. Only so many spots around. Otherwise it feels like we're just rolling dice without looking at what we actually rolled the time before.

That said watch the cards sign 10 people from other teams after final cuts.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Bingo. And I bet Fred Bennett is blushing with all of the attention he's getting on this thread.

AJ looks like he's playing with a purpose (not just to make the team) and PP has endless potential. They were talking on the last Underground podcast that during an interview with Horton (it was conducted by either Urban or Calvisi), he went out of his way without being asked to talk about AJ at length. That's encouraging coming from a DC who played corner in the league for championship teams.

Fred Bennett is nothing more than a dime corner or insurance policy for Mike Adams. Much ado about nothing, IMO

Why would it be any big deal that die hard Cardinal fans are paying attention to a guy the team has added to the roster?

AJ and PP21 could be good could be a disaster could be mediocre. Since they have almost no NFL game experience we just don't know. More pages added to the If and Hope book that is the Cardinals 2011 season.

It will be interesting to watch that's for sure.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
this assumes this well know CB was the lone CB on the market who could have helped besides Marshall, who it's impossible to argue was anything but mediocre to just plain bad last year. This was the deepest CB class in memory in FA and I'm sorry but everyone KNEW DRC was going to be involved in that trade.

how they didn't try and protect themselves by signing one of those very solid corners and seemingly were going to go into the season starting a 2nd year UDFA guy with zero experience as the number 2 corner with all the money we had under the cap just doesn't make a lot of sense.

not filling AW's shoes with 9 million still under the cap doesn't make a lot of sense either. did the team learn nothing from what we did with Hayes last year... or did they learn nothing from watching how Wilson played with injury last year?

There were very solid CBs available in FA which would have solidified the position rather than depending on cast-offs from terrible teams, UDFAs and rookies and there were S available after AW went down and we did nothing to try and shore those areas up.

that doesn't make sense to me.

Well, signing Marshall made sense to the powers that be, and I have a sneaking suspicion that they had a pretty good handle on who was available and who would best suit Horton's scheme. What I've noticed about Marshall is that he's a willing, aggressive tackler who can both pass and run blitz.