Cardinals sign CB Fred Bennett

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want to know who you guys want us to get right now who's better than Bennett. It's always the same recycled criticism from some of you when the Cardinals sign someone but you seldom or never put any information out there as to who you would rather have them sign.

Sure Bennett isn't great but what are our other options at this point?

none. the problem is a lot of us were concerned about our starters/depth BEFORE the injuries happened. But then we were told to shut up and stop complaining. Now that our depth/starters look even worse, people are still telling us to shut up and stop complaining.

sorry man... but this team did very little to shore up VERY weak spots in the secondary. depending on Marshall, AJ Jefferson, Johnson and a broken down Adams was a problem even before the injuries occurred. Now there's a S out there we CAN move on but instead we brought back Andre Ware... who wasn't good enough to make the original team. That doesn't inspire confidence.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
It's amazing how hindsight is always 20 -20.

That's funny, because I:

1) Disagreed with releasing Karlos Dansby.

2) Disliked keeping Gerald Hayes on the roster last year and couldn't understand why we didn't have a backup plan aside for a guy who is awful and playing out of position at SILB in Lenon.

3) Disagreed with trading DRC.

4) Was fine with trading THT at the time because he's bad, and aren't really concerned about losing Ryan Williams because we don't run the ball, anyway.

It's not hindsight if you say it before it happened, and then when it happens, and then immediately after it happens.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
at CB we're just screwed and we're the second the second we decided that Marshall, AJ Jefferson and an injured Mike Adams were our depth. nothing to be done about that.

but at S and RB, you bet your ass there's guys out there that are literally better than our starters or our depth (of which there's none at RB).

I cant argue with that, and I agree that there's not going to be anything good a that position coming out of cuts. We just have to pray the guys we have can be decent.

I agree again about RB, we can definitely get some good depth at that position after cuts. I dont know about S, we'll see.

Let me ask you this, when the final cut list comes out, if there is a decent pass rusher and a decent CB available, which one do you go after? Would you rather reinforce the guys up front or add depth to the secondary?

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's funny, because I:

1) Disagreed with releasing Karlos Dansby.

2) Disliked keeping Gerald Hayes on the roster last year and couldn't understand why we didn't have a backup plan aside for a guy who is awful and playing out of position at SILB in Lenon.

3) Disagreed with trading DRC.

4) Was fine with trading THT at the time because he's bad, and aren't really concerned about losing Ryan Williams because we don't run the ball, anyway.

It's not hindsight if you say it before it happened, and then when it happens, and then immediately after it happens.

What does any of this have to do with the CB position?

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
none. the problem is a lot of us were concerned about our starters/depth BEFORE the injuries happened. But then we were told to shut up and stop complaining. Now that our depth/starters look even worse, people are still telling us to shut up and stop complaining.

sorry man... but this team did very little to shore up VERY weak spots in the secondary. depending on Marshall, AJ Jefferson, Johnson and a broken down Adams was a problem even before the injuries occurred. Now there's a S out there we CAN move on but instead we brought back Andre Ware... who wasn't good enough to make the original team. That doesn't inspire confidence.

Dude I have no problem with being critical, I just ask that people offer some kind of solutions or options as to where we can proceed, which is what you did in your other post so I appreciate that.

I have no problem with complaining, we're in a tight spot here at CB. But the season hasn't even started yet so I like to explore our auctions instead of complaining for the sake of complaining. That's all :D

There is a small bright spot here and that is the fact that in our first 3 weeks we play teams who are either starting rookie QB's or below average QB's. Granted our secondary might make them look them good but, that's certainly better than going up against Rodgers, Manning and Brady to start the year.

If nothing else Jefferson and Peterson have a little more time to pick up this defense before they are REALLY thrown into the fire.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I cant argue with that, and I agree that there's not going to be anything good a that position coming out of cuts. We just have to pray the guys we have can be decent.

I agree again about RB, we can definitely get some good depth at that position after cuts. I dont know about S, we'll see.

Let me ask you this, when the final cut list comes out, if there is a decent pass rusher and a decent CB available, which one do you go after? Would you rather reinforce the guys up front or add depth to the secondary?

i think you have to go after the pass rusher. any kind of pass rush makes your corners instantly better but a solid corner left on an island is still screwed if the QB's in no rush to get rid of the ball.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a small bright spot here and that is the fact that in our first 3 weeks we play teams who are either starting rookie QB's or below average QB's. Granted our secondary might make them look them good but, that's certainly better than going up against Rodgers, Manning and Brady to start the year.

this is totally agree with. PP has a TON of potential but it's going to take him a while to get his feet wet and i'm extremely happy that's gonna come against the likes of John Beck and the rook in Carolina who's name escapes me right now.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
i think you have to go after the pass rusher. any kind of pass rush makes your corners instantly better but a solid corner left on an island is still screwed if the QB's in no rush to get rid of the ball.
With $9M plus in cap space, the cards could technically go after a quality OLB AND CB. Chances of that happening are slim to none, but it's nice to play pretend GM :)

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
With $9M plus in cap space, the cards could technically go after a quality OLB AND CB. Chances of that happening are slim to none, but it's nice to play pretend GM :)
Any specifics players you have in mind?

Seeingred

Reaction score
I have no problem with complaining, we're in a tight spot here at CB. But the season hasn't even started yet so I like to explore our auctions instead of complaining for the sake of complaining. That's all :D
Right on man!! Couldn't agree more.:)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any specifics players you have in mind?

OLB/CB aren't going to be available. The S from the Pats and Portis ARE available and they're both proven vets in positions of dire need that I think the team should be going after.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

the S spot is the real head scratcher to me. I'd like to have Portis here as a back-up, but maybe there will be someone else who comes free and we have our opening day starter at that position in Beanie... but at S, we're just screwed and hoping and praying that Wilson's (sadly) breaking down butt will come or be an impact player is setting us up for failure just like we did last year with Hayes and Johnson's just awful.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
the S spot is the real head scratcher to me. I'd like to have Portis here as a back-up, but maybe there will be someone else who comes free and we have our opening day starter at that position in Beanie... but at S, we're just screwed and hoping and praying that Wilson's (sadly) breaking down butt will come or be an impact player is setting us up for failure just like we did last year with Hayes and Johnson's just awful.
stop making sense.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

We could pick up Lawyer Milloy. He could room with Vonnie Holliday.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
depending on AW ISN'T realistic Shane. And if he does come back, he's not going to be close to a 100% all season. That's like saying we weren't going to get anyone to kill Hayes slot last year because he was the starter. we already know it's a long-shot for AW to come back and an even longer shot for him to ever be healthy this season.

RE-READ post again. And depending on concussion machines to START scares the piss out of me. back-ups you roll the dice. and regardless of that, he's got more in the tank left than literally nothing which is what we have backing up beanie right now. same goes for Portis or Lawrence Maroney.

at CB we're just screwed and we're the second the second we decided that Marshall, AJ Jefferson and an injured Mike Adams were our depth. nothing to
be done about that.

but at S and RB, you bet your ass there's guys out there that are literally better than our starters or our depth (of which there's none at RB).

I don't think you have a choice but to depend on Wilson. It's nice in fantasy land to just say go and get him or that guy etc... But do you really think a proven veteran starting caliber S who wis gonna want starter $ is gonna come here and be relegated to back up duty. Highly highly doubtful.. Not to mention you are competing with other teams like Atlanta who is already meeting with him etc... You guys make this sound like it's just easy to do.

Portis whom you mention is injury prone to the max apparently showed up about 20 lbs overweight to the team whose name escapes me that he met with two weeks ago.. You want "that guy"?

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Where are you getting 9 million?

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Now there's a S out there we CAN move on but instead we brought back Andre Ware... who wasn't good enough to make the original team. That doesn't inspire confidence.
We brought in former Heisman winner Andre Ware? Man, our secondary must be screwed.

As for signing James Sanders, he's a coverage safety who struggles against the run. I don't think he's the best fill-in for AW.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We brought in former Heisman winner Andre Ware? Man, our secondary must be screwed.

knew that looked wrong when I typed it but that's says how much I think of Ware's ability to play the position.

As for signing James Sanders, he's a coverage safety who struggles against the run. I don't think he's the best fill-in for AW.

as opposed to Rashod Johnson who sucks against both?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05