Cardinals signed Adrian Wilson to extension!

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay... but is there a roster bonus in Year 2, easily-obtained playing time upgrades?

Difficult to believe that a player with 2 years left on his deal takes a 50%+ pay cut when the team won't sign any players that matter. What's Arizona's leverage here?

The truth will out.

Based on that link it looks like he was at risk of being asap casualty next year. They wanted to retain him but at a lower salary. Wilson seem to recognize this and obviously wanted to stay and was willing to stay based on incentives instead.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Based on that link it looks like he was at risk of being asap casualty next year. They wanted to retain him but at a lower salary. Wilson seem to recognize this and obviously wanted to stay and was willing to stay based on incentives instead.

I think that's reading quite a bit into a few lines of text. Wilson would've gotten more money with a release next offseason if that's the case.

As I said, the truth will out, and we'll see what the read details are by the end of the week. I don't know why we're eager to leap to conclusions. :shrug:

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that's reading quite a bit into a few lines of text. Wilson would've gotten more money with a release next offseason if that's the case.

As I said, the truth will out, and we'll see what the read details are by the end of the week. I don't know why we're eager to leap to conclusions. :shrug:

What conclusions. Were going off what we've been told nothing more or less.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
What conclusions. Were going off what we've been told nothing more or less.

I think that going from "The Cards didn't want to pay Wilson $17 million over the next two years" to "He likely would've been a cap casualty next offseason" is a pretty good jump to conclusions considering that we have pending UFA Rashad Johnson, voidable contract Kerry Rhodes, and a bunch of rookie behind him is a pretty big leap.

One thing that is interesting is that his agent seems to be spinning a little bit like this was a loss for him. I'm interested to see what Joe has to say.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Darren Urban ‏@Cardschatter
S Adrian Wilson on agreeing to new contract/extension, including a salary cut this yr: "I'm not in it for the money." Wanted to stay a Card.

Darren Urban ‏@Cardschatter
S Adrian Wilson on new deal: "The money comes and goes. I'm in it for the legacy."

That's it. I think AW is now my favorite Cardinal of all-time. Sorry, Stump.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i don't know what this means, but i love AW and am happier than a pig in **** that I was wrong two years ago about him being on the wrong side of his career.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
The right thing to do.

And it may allow us to lock up DWash too. Anyone want to speculate on a contract offer? 4 years 30 million?

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's it. I think AW is now my favorite Cardinal of all-time. Sorry, Stump.

Don't show k9 that quote by adub. He thinks there's some super secret reason this was done that will obviously negatively affect the franchise.

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
A-Dub wants to be a Cardinal for life!
I am a Cardinal fan for life!

I loves me some A-Dub!

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
http://www.azcardinals.com/news-and...e-Legacy/8ddb190c-805e-42e3-a290-e6eea790d9ba

“There are guys who need to be a Cardinal, need to be a Cardinal for life,” Wilson added.
“I didn’t want to be a cap casualty and at the same time, I didn’t want to play for another team,” said Wilson, beginning his 12th season. “I can’t put my heart into another team like I have this team. I knew that going in and I was just being honest with myself.”
“It is what it is,” Wilson said. “I’m not mad about it. That’s just business. I can earn that money back and then some if I go out and play Adrian Wilson football. I expect to do that.”

This article contains a lot of excellent quotes, but these are especially fantastic.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Wilson, who will turn 33 during the season, knew a new contract would add salary cap room for the Cardinals. That was one of the reasons he was willing to do it, to send a message to young players like cornerback Patrick Peterson and linebacker Daryl Washington that a good thing is being built and they should want to stick around.

“I just want to finish my career here, and hopefully the young guys here now understand why I am doing it and put them in a better situation down the road,” Wilson said.

“There are guys who need to be a Cardinal, need to be a Cardinal for life,” Wilson added.

Oh my god..... I love this guy.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting stuff. It's great to have Adrian on board for hopefully the long-term. He's the heart and soul of the defense in a way that a guy like Dockett can't be and Dansby maybe shouldn't have been. He's come a long way from the sullen guy I saw sulking at a corner table at a Fan Fest nearly a decade ago.

The wisdom of the extension will depend on the money involved, but that's not going to come out today. People asserting that he's somehow taking less money this year than he would've had in his old contract are probably wrong.

But, for now, good for Adrian Wilson and good for the Cards.

I have to agree. I was kind of surprised to hear this and am interested in hearing the details. My big question is how many years does Wilson have left where he can play at a pro bowl level?

With that said I love the fact that Wilson and Fitzgerald will most likely be Cardinals for life. They are two of my all time favorites.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I am not in it for the money, I have enough of that.

Someone get back to me the next time you hear a professional athlete say that. Cause it ain't gonna happen.

I will be, finally, buying my red Adrian Wilson Jersey, the first, and probably only Jersey I will buy for a sports team. But, that jersey will be a lot more than sport.

I like how Wilson thinks and acts.

LOL, I will never forget I wanted him gone after 3 years. :D

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not in it for the money, I have enough of that.

Someone get back to me the next time you hear a professional athlete say that. Cause it ain't gonna happen.

I will be, finally, buying my red Adrian Wilson Jersey, the first, and probably only Jersey I will buy for a sports team. But, that jersey will be a lot more than sport.

I like how Wilson thinks and acts.

LOL, I will never forget I wanted him gone after 3 years. :D

Per K9 its all a ruse. Might want to hold off on the jersey till as he said the real detail come out. ;-)

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Per K9 its all a ruse. Might want to hold off on the jersey till as he said the real detail come out. ;-)

I don't understand why you're being a jerk about this. Is there something that I did to you? :shrug:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05