Cards 2007 Head Coach

Lars the Red

aka Thor, God of Thunder
Reaction score
I do like the Jeff Fisher idea. He's not a ham, he doesn't love to get his mug in front of a camera. He built a really solid team that got weakened by free agency. He doesn't appear to put up with crap from his players, but isn't a jackass about it.

Norm would kill to get to work with Matt some more, and he's got several really solid members on that staff. Let Fisher interview any of the current coaches to see if he wants to retain them, then let him bring anyone he wants in. Pay the ticket. Get a staff in place that can develop a team.

As stupid as it sounds, I'm a little sad we couldn't find a way to have Denny involved with the selection of player talent. I think he's a pathetic sideline coach, and has extremely questionable work habits, but the guy has an eye for talent.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Greg Knapp? Always runs a great offense in spite of being hamstrung with QBs who can't pass.

he was hated in SF and he and the DC apparently had a fight in Atlanta because the DC accused his offense of keeping the defense on the field so long they started getting injured from fatigue. But they sure scored a lot yesterday.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
I don't think so. Lovie Smith runs that defense, and I think that everyone knows that. Rivera was a radio color guy five years ago. Suddenly he's ready? I'd rather have a guy that runs his own show on at least one side of the ball. Maybe eventually he'll be good, but I don't want to hand everything over to a guy who's never done anything for himself yet. He went from Quality Control to DC in a couple of years.

What??? Rivera was Jim Johnson's assistent and LB coach for the Eagles before becoming DC in Chicago.He has been a NFL coach since the 97 season.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
What??? Rivera was Jim Johnson's assistent and LB coach for the Eagles before becoming DC in Chicago.He has been a NFL coach since the 97 season.

According to his bio, since the 1999 season. Working under two mastermind defensive coaches in Lovie Smith and Jim Johnson. He has less than 10 years of coaching experience.

Compare that to Sean Payton, who has 19 years of coaching experience and 10 at the NFL level, including working for Jim Fassel and Bill Parcells. He was an assistant head coach twice. Brad Childress had 25 years of coaching experience at the NFL and college level.

Just be wary of signing the "hot name" and latching on to a rising star who's never had to do anything for himself.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
According to his bio, since the 1999 season. Working under two mastermind defensive coaches in Lovie Smith and Jim Johnson. He has less than 10 years of coaching experience.

Compare that to Sean Payton, who has 19 years of coaching experience and 10 at the NFL level, including working for Jim Fassel and Bill Parcells. He was an assistant head coach twice. Brad Childress had 25 years of coaching experience at the NFL and college level.

Just be wary of signing the "hot name" and latching on to a rising star who's never had to do anything for himself.

Well we should be wary of anyone, heck if we interviewed Vince Lombardi, first thing I'd ask him is so, you want to coach the Cardinals eh? Get out you must have gotten stupid fast.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
he was hated in SF and he and the DC apparently had a fight in Atlanta because the DC accused his offense of keeping the defense on the field so long they started getting injured from fatigue. But they sure scored a lot yesterday.

I remember the TO thing, but after the last few years I can easily forgive him for getting on that nutjob's bad side. Don't recall the Atlanta incident, but I'm sure Kerouac can shed some more light on the topic considering how he follows the Falcons. Point remains that Knapp's ofenses have always been in the top half of the NFL whether it be in San Francisco or Atlanta.

Not my final recommendation, but a name that will likely get some interviews.

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Rome is talking about Pete Carroll. Just said the USC job is 10x better than the Cards job. He's right.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember the TO thing, but after the last few years I can easily forgive him for getting on that nutjob's bad side. Don't recall the Atlanta incident, but I'm sure Kerouac can shed some more light on the topic considering how he follows the Falcons. Point remains that Knapp's ofenses have always been in the top half of the NFL whether it be in San Francisco or Atlanta.

The atlanta thing was last week, it's on PFT right now because they wrote it first, it was denied, and then SI's Don Banks wrote the same thing and now people believe it.

And yes TO caused a lot of the Knapp stuff in SF.

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Good. Carroll should stay in the college game.

I'm a Ron Rivera guy. But I've been flipping back a little....what is the harm in giving Green a 4th year but forcing him to hire an all new staff??

And that brings up the argument.....is he surrounding himself with Yes Men????? Or is the front staff not giving him a decent budget??

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Charlie Weiss is not going to give up his dream job to only be fired in 2 years here. Pete Carroll will stay at USC

My guess is Ron Rivera is the next Cardinals coach after Pendergast is named interm coach on Wednesday

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Jeff Fisher is on the street after this year, I think it's a no-brainer. If we're looking at up-and-comers, I think we need to consider Rivera and Grimm. Those are guys that were playing not all that long ago and may be able to relate a little better to the team and understand what it takes to motivate them.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, and BTW, Green is fired NEXT monday....not this week. We'll use the bye week to our advantage.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
How were the Raiders in third-and-long situations yesterday? Are you sure there's nothing wrong with the defense?

The cushion question....

Rolle is a big physical cover 2 CB. A player that can make plays at line, but a player that needs safety support. Griffith is arguably the slowest FS in the NFL and had never played FS before Green moved him there. Rolle has NO help from the safeties and is totally left on an island. Yes, I do believe the 10 yard cushion hurts the team, BUT we can't play without that cushion when the CBs have no help from the safeties.

Last edited:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Had Gary Kubiak ever worked with anyone other than Shanahan? How would you guys rate him? Did he do things for himself in Denver or was Shanahan running the show?

He's got more wins this year than Green and the Texans were supposed to be a terrible team especially with no RB and David Carr has a QB rating of over 97which is 15 points higher than his previous best.

It's a season or two early to really tell but Kubiak looks like he might have what it takes to be a sucessful NFL HC.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I heart Kubiak. I really, really wish we'd broken the bank to try to get him here. :(

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ah, but what happens if we actually win in GB?

Fire him anyways. Just because.

Do you expect the Cards to win a road game? I heard today that Denny has won 3 road games here in AZ in 2+ seasons.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just hold a contest to let a season ticket holder coach....not even joking.

This isnt the worst idea I have ever heard.

Although half the dopes on this board think Bentley would have come here, Edge can be traded for a Round 1 pick or that keeping $10M for extensions rather than throw it at truly bottom of the heap players is a bad idea.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Of course we will win in GB.

It's the Cardinal way. We will pull within 2 games of the NFC West lead and again have a glimmer of hope. Then the Cards will throw up another stinker after the Bye.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Ownership has one more hurdle, that's to take the keys give them to a GM and let him pick the coach.

At that point we can all hold our breath and pray that the Bidwills didn't just hire Matt Millen's stupid twin.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ownership has one more hurdle, that's to take the keys give them to a GM and let him pick the coach.

At that point we can all hold our breath and pray that the Bidwills didn't just hire Matt Millen's stupid twin.

Is Rod Graves Matt Millens stupid twin because he will be retained as the new GM of the Cardinals?

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Fire him anyway. The decision needs to be made now--that decision being that win or lose in GB, Denny's got to go.

It's not like beating GB is a huge accomplishment. They're pretty bad. Now, if we're 1-6 and we go and beat the Colts or the Bears...then you have to re-think getting rid of him. But not when you beat lowly GB.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The cushion question....

Rolle is a big physical cover 2 CB. A player that can make plays at line, but a player that needs safety support. Griffith arguably the slowest FS in the NFL and had never played FS before Green moved him there. Rolle has NO help from the safeties and is totally left on an island. Yes, I do believe the 10 yard cushion hurts the team, BUT we can't play without that cushion when the CB have no help from the safeties.

That's actually a fair point. On the TD pass Moss caught, we all saw the replay Griffith bit on the inside and left Rolle all alone with Moss, so it is quite likely that playing with Griffith, and a SS like WIlson who's always blitzing, is exposing Rolle a lot more.

Still he shows no ability to react to the ball in the air.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Had Gary Kubiak ever worked with anyone other than Shanahan? How would you guys rate him? Did he do things for himself in Denver or was Shanahan running the show?

He's got more wins this year than Green and the Texans were supposed to be a terrible team especially with no RB and David Carr has a QB rating of over 97which is 15 points higher than his previous best.

It's a season or two early to really tell but Kubiak looks like he might have what it takes to be a sucessful NFL HC.

On the plus side, the Cards helped make the Texans better by taking Milford Brown from them. Helped them shore up their OL problems. Houston has only given up 16 sacks this year...AZ has given up 21.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05