Cards 2007 Head Coach

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well it's got to be a good one, Weis to me is it, beg him, show him the money, plead with him.

Show him Leinart, Boldin and Fitz plus show him a 6 year deal with his choice of assistants.

Buy him a house, a maid, a new car, and finally give him free cable, everyone loves free cable.
I would really like to have Weis here ... if there is any way to buy him out of his contract we need to go all out and do it ... with him running the show our offense will come together and be huge ...

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the plus side, the Cards helped make the Texans better by taking Milford Brown from them. Helped them shore up their OL problems. Houston has only given up 16 sacks this year...AZ has given up 21.

To think the Bills were trying to do the same thing for us by relieving us of Wells yet the Cardinals just couldn't let him go.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
According to his bio, since the 1999 season. Working under two mastermind defensive coaches in Lovie Smith and Jim Johnson. He has less than 10 years of coaching experience.

Compare that to Sean Payton, who has 19 years of coaching experience and 10 at the NFL level, including working for Jim Fassel and Bill Parcells. He was an assistant head coach twice. Brad Childress had 25 years of coaching experience at the NFL and college level.

Just be wary of signing the "hot name" and latching on to a rising star who's never had to do anything for himself.

The Bears' Media Guide says that his first NFL experience was quality control coach in 97 for the Bears (assistent to the DC), but that's irrelevant.

I get your point. I'm not that high on Rivera either for the same reason.

If you look at the new coaches that are succesful this season (Childress and Payton), true they both have much experience, BUT equally important, they both come from strong organizations and has worked under some of the best HCs in the NFL.

If you look at these criteria, then my best suggestion would be Wiesenhunt. Lots of experience comes from one of the best organizations in the league, and has worked under Cowher. (Given that proven coaches like Gruden and Fisher aren't available). Wiesenhunt is IMO the closest thing to Weis in the NFL right now

Last edited:

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
To think the Bills were trying to do the same thing for us by relieving us of Wells yet the Cardinals just couldn't let him go.

Real men of genius, here's to you Mr. Football Cardinal decision maker man, being wrong ALL of the time is impressive, this Bud's for you.

OP
OP
SMAC

SMAC

Nobody Beats the Wiz!
Reaction score

Tashunca

Registered
Reaction score
Boomer Esiason. Get some ass't coaches (old pros) around him to take care of the basics. The players will be AFRAID to lose!

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
If Jeff Fisher is on the street after this year, I think it's a no-brainer. If we're looking at up-and-comers, I think we need to consider Rivera and Grimm. Those are guys that were playing not all that long ago and may be able to relate a little better to the team and understand what it takes to motivate them.

Didn't Dave McGinnis worth with the 85 Bears, as well? He had a great relationship with the players. Things worked out really, really well there. :thumbup:

I don't really like Wisenhunt just because it seems like the Steelers' offensive philosophy doesn't translate around the NFL. How'd it work for Mularkey last season? A number for former Steeler OCs have tried to make The Leap and it hasn't worked out for them. Same with Steelers DCs. Cowher runs a tight ship, but I wonder if the success of the Black and Gold has as much to do with coaching as many think. There's just a tradition of excellence there and a kind of leadership that gets passed down. Wisenhunt is another guy that has "only" been coaching for 10 years.

Kubiak worked with Shanahan his entire career, except for his first two seasons, when he was RB coach for Texas A & M. He definitely had a lot of time to learn on the job with Shanahan under Walsh in San Francisco and then with Shanahan (one of the best game-day coaches in the NFL) in Denver.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn't Dave McGinnis worth with the 85 Bears, as well? He had a great relationship with the players. Things worked out really, really well there.
When was the last time Mac played the game? That was my point--that the guys I mentioned played in relatively recent memory. And, I'm not looking for a "player's coach;" I just want someone who knows how to motivate the players.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The cushion question....

Rolle is a big physical cover 2 CB. A player that can make plays at line, but a player that needs safety support. Griffith is arguably the slowest FS in the NFL and had never played FS before Green moved him there. Rolle has NO help from the safeties and is totally left on an island. Yes, I do believe the 10 yard cushion hurts the team, BUT we can't play without that cushion when the CBs have no help from the safeties.

Then Griffith shouldnt be playing.

Also your scenario has no merit when its 3rd and 5 and we see Rolle giving a 10-12 yard cushion and back pedaling at the snap. All the WR does is run a 5 yard out and it is phyically impossible to defend. No Safety regardless fo scheme can help on that.

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
here is a coaches name to be thrown in. most of you want a unknown coach. here is a very unknown coach.

semi pro team owner and head coach Yuma Blitz very own

Kenneth Blankenship. he is a quick learner and takes now bs from anyone.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you really serious about winning?
Forget guys like Rivera and Singletary.

If you really, REALLY want to win, go talk to Jimmy Johnson. Give him a blank check and his choice of who he'd want to be his GM. The man has turned every program he has ever been associated with into a winner.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
The cushion question....

Rolle is a big physical cover 2 CB. A player that can make plays at line, but a player that needs safety support. Griffith is arguably the slowest FS in the NFL and had never played FS before Green moved him there. Rolle has NO help from the safeties and is totally left on an island. Yes, I do believe the 10 yard cushion hurts the team, BUT we can't play without that cushion when the CBs have no help from the safeties.

Griffith plays on the other side of the field from Rolle most of the time. Adrian plays closer Rolle's side of the field. He gets less protection because, as the #1 cornerback, he should need less protection.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Are you really serious about winning?
Forget guys like Rivera and Singletary.

If you really, REALLY want to win, go talk to Jimmy Johnson. Give him a blank check and his choice of who he'd want to be his GM. The man has turned every program he has ever been associated with into a winner.

Like the Miami Dolphins? He had a winning record, but he never won the division and was 2-3 in the playoffs. He inherited a team from Don Shula that was good, and gave a good team to Dave Wannesdtat (sp). 39-25 before JJ, 36-28 with JJ, 41-23 after JJ.

Man, those Dolphin teams were so good for so long.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
If Jeff Fisher is on the street after this year, I think it's a no-brainer. If we're looking at up-and-comers, I think we need to consider Rivera and Grimm. Those are guys that were playing not all that long ago and may be able to relate a little better to the team and understand what it takes to motivate them.

I'll give up if Fisher is named head coach. Not impressive at all.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Griffith plays on the other side of the field from Rolle most of the time. Adrian plays closer Rolle's side of the field. He gets less protection because, as the #1 cornerback, he should need less protection.

Ehh, do you know anything about coverage?

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
Fisher has been a head coach 12 seasons and has a total of 4 winning seasons...I want someone better.

Well, he's been in some tough situations that help account for that. He was 1 yard away from winning a super bowl - doesn't that count for something?

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Denver's OC is Himendinger. I think when DCR refers to their OL coach, he mean Alex Gibbs.

On the Broncos website their OC is listed as Rick Dennison who served as OLine coach from 2001-2005

"Rick Dennison enters his 12th year on the Denver Broncos' coaching staff in 2006 and his first as offensive coordinator, a position he was named to on Jan. 30, 2006. Dennison, 48, spent the last 11 years working as an assistant for the Broncos, coaching the offensive line from 2001-05, special teams from 1997-00 and serving as an offensive assistant from 1995-96."

They don't list an OLine coach.

Heimerdinger is the assistant Head Coach not the OC.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heimerdinger is the assistant Head Coach not the OC.

Heimendinger came here (Denver) to replace Kubiak. Whether he's OC in spirit or name...it's his offense to run. That's all they talk about on the radio--even when they're interviewing him and Shannahan and the players.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Fisher has been a head coach 12 seasons and has a total of 4 winning seasons...I want someone better.

Fisher works for Bud Adams and still had 4 winning seasons and took his team to the SuperBowl!!!

Sounds exactly like what we need in Arizona.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Then Griffith shouldnt be playing.

Also your scenario has no merit when its 3rd and 5 and we see Rolle giving a 10-12 yard cushion and back pedaling at the snap. All the WR does is run a 5 yard out and it is phyically impossible to defend. No Safety regardless fo scheme can help on that.

My point exactly...

And I agree. But don't you think the cushion would have been adjusted if PEndergast thought the FS could cover the deep ball?

Last edited: