Cards 24 Chiefs 17: Offensive Observations and Notes

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Overall:

Offense: Keith Rowen should learn a lot from this tape. Here are the logical scheme adjustments he can make: (1) Play-action passing is only effective under two conditions..(a) if your team is an established running team; (b) in short yardage situations. Right now, opposing defenses can rush Warner first and defend the run along the way...which is exactly what the Chiefs did. The Chiefs didn't bite at all on the play-action fakes, and thus Warner had no time to look downfield and set his feet. The answer is...scrap play-action, except in short-yardage situations. With an immobile QB like Warner, as a coordinator, Rowen should want to make sure he provides Warner with as much time to throw the football as possible. Straight drop backs will help...as will shotgun snaps whenever possible (when Warner went into the two-minute drill, Leckey's snaps were quick and effective). (2) The guards need to work on their pulling quickness and techniques...not only were the guards slow off the ball, they ran rounded routes, making them even slower to their blocks. In several cases the running back couldn't wait for the guard to clear because the guard was too slow. Good pulling depends on the rest of the linemen getting a good surge off the ball, so that the puller can take a straight line (fastest path) to his block. (3) The passing schemes in this game were spoiled by poor pass protection and flat route running. It is clear that the offensive line is not sure of its blitz assignments...this has to be straightened out, asap. The Cardinals did a good job of exploiting the middle of the field a week ago...but lacked the time to do it in this game, largely due to blitz coverage screwups and ineffective play-action calls. And with Q, Fitz, BJ and Bergen all capable of making plays in the seams and up the deep thirds, the Cardinals need to stress and prioritize this aspect of their attack.

Keith Rowen should go back a review the tapes of Warner's heyday in St. Louis. He was throwing primarily out of a shotgun, plenty of times on first and second downs...and he was taking numerous shots down the middle of the field.

Offensine Personnel:

QB/WR: Warner did a pretty good job keeping his head under pressure. He threw a number of perfect passes...the three (including the beautiful TD throw) passes to Q, for example. His passes to Fitz were on the numbers, but Fitz was uncharacteristically unfocused and it looked like his routes were too shallow. Warner hit BJ in stride up the left seam on a quick post, etc. Warner's feet were pretty solid throughout the half...but, IMO, he was too slow to get the ball to JJ on the fumbled handoff. The rest of Warner's ballhandling skills were excellent. He runs a textbook quick sweep, e.g.

McCown shrugged off a shaky start where he was rushing all his throws, to turn in a solid 2 TD performance. Nice rebound from last week. Charles Lee has locked down the #4 WR spot with this performance...and it looks like Reggie Newhouse now has the inside track on the #5.

Navarre missed Dan Sheldon for a TD at the goalline...and his throws were a tad too quick, even though Fabian Davis and others should have caught the balls thrown their way. Navarre has good vision and a solid arm...he just needs to slow himself down.

OL/TE: Tough night for the first team line. I would give Nick Leckey the highest grade. He got the most consistent surge off the ball and on several occasions, turned his man to the inside, opening up a middle lane. Leonard Davis is still a classic underachiever. He's a major disappointment, IMO. He has all the physical tools, but plays half-heartedly. The thing is...even at half-hearted intensity, Davis grades out decently...but nowhere near what one would expect from a player of his stature. Reggie Wells is not an NFL guard...he's just not physical enough to move anyone. He's smart and nimble...but that's not enough. His pass blocking is pretty solid. I'll give him that. But, his run blocking is flat-out ineffective. Wells belongs at OT...where he matches up reasonably well with DEs. Elton Brown's debut was about what one would expect...he made a number of mental mistakes, but used his physical talents reasonably well when his role was simplified. RT Ian Allen failed to turn in two good weeks of work in a row. He struggled most of the evening...and now will be pushed for the backup role by Fred Wakefield, who played a smart, tough second half. Newly acquired C Bill Conaty held up well in his first taste of action. LG Adam Haayer and LT Alan Reuber formed a pretty respectable left side of the 2nd o-line. What's interesting is that dethroned RG Jeremy Bridges, did not dominate against the 2nd teamers. He was average...as were the others.

As for the TEs...they made no impact on the game...and...if Rowen decides to play to this offense's strengths...the TE will only be used in short yardage...as Rowen spreads the field with 3 or 4 WRs...and lines Warner up in the shotgun with split backs...

RB: I really like JJ Arrington and feel that he can be our version of Brian Westbrook, especially because of the threat he is as a pass receiver out of the backfield. Yes, Arrington must solve his early fumbling issues...but he's got that special burst and a sense for daylight that the great ones have. And I thought he played tough during some heated stretches. Speaking of tough, how about Marcel Shipp? Man, it was great to see him running just like his old self again. The Tugboat is back!

Redmond appears to have locked down the #3...and in light of Damien Anderson's strong special team's play and the release of Scobey and Hambrick, Anderson may indeed be a keeper at #4.

At FB, Ayanbadejo's versatility makes him a lock. James Hodgins still isn't blocking the way he did when he was paving the way for Marshall Faulk in St. Louis. Harold Morrow is a lock, IMO, because of his special team's prowess.

Quick Notes on the Defense:

1. Good stops against Priest Holmes...but obviously not against Larry Johnson. The Giants have a brusing rookie RB in Brandon Jacobs, who they will have to contend with in Game One. The middle of the Cardinal line remains vulnerable. Russell Davis doesn't shed well and gets stood up too easily and Darnell Dockett is hit or miss...all depending on whether he shoots the right gap.

2. In the pass rush, the middle of the Cardinal line has to play much more aggresively to the ball, as the speed rushers funnel the QBs into the middle. I could definatley see Pendergast use Calvin Pace as a rush DT in place of Davis because of Pace's quickness and ability to locate the ball.

3. James Darling is a playmaker wherever he lines up. As long as the interior can occupy the front three, Darling will have clear shots to the ball. Huff and Dansby are playing well on the outside. Lance Mitchell will likely be switched to the outside with the arrival of Lester Towns. Blackstock will need a few more weeks to get his feet wet. The wild card here might be Ernest Shazor, if they switch him to OLB...which he appeared to be playing when he intercepted the ball in the flat.

4. Adrian Wilson was relatively quiet this week...while Ohalete stepped up and made several good hits. I thought Aaron Francisco played well and was surprised he was cut. Adrian Mayes may have secured a roster spot with his tremendous hit on punt coverage. Quentin Harris seemed a step slow this week. I hope the team re-signs Francisco the the practice squad.

5. At CB, who would have figured the Chiefs would have stayed away from the rookie Rolle and attacked Macklin left and right. I thought all the calls against Macklin were dubious...Sammie Parker should have won an Oscar the way he acted interfered with when the ball was in the air. Macklin was squeezing Parker to the sideline in textbook fashion, and Parker initiated the contact because that's all he could do. The one play that Macklin botched was on the TD where he jumped the slant route and didn't recover on the post-fade.

6. CB Eric Green is a significant addition to this secondary. Gotta like his quick feet and nose for the ball. And, other young Cardinal DBs played very well in this game...starting with Jermaine Hardy, who was all over the place making plays (and a nice interception)...to Rhett Nelson who broke up several passes and was in position to break up the fade TD, but never turned to find the ball...to Lamont Reid who played very well at LCB late in the game.

7. Backup DTs Keith Wright and Tim Bulman turned in strong performances. Wright was quick off the ball (when he wasn't losing stamina) and Bulman cleaned up a handful of plays. Bulman finishes off tackles very well.

It was good to get another win in a game the Cardianls can learn a lot from. The first half could have easily been 10-10, with Rackers' made FG and Boldin's TD. One thing is for sure, the Cardinals' depth is getting stronger.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Very nice read...although reading it put a little bit of a damper on my playoff hopes...lol.

Good point on Shazor...he is a DB/OLB tweener.

Very nice job... :thumbup:

Reaction score
Way to steal the attention from my "Observations" thread, Walter! :trout:

Just kidding! :D Good job; as usual!!! :thumbup:

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I honestly don't remember Warner throwing from the shotgun much in St. Louis.

Nice analysis though Walter, thanks!

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Mitch said:
5. At CB, who would have figured the Chiefs would have stayed away from the rookie Rolle and attacked Macklin left and right.

Wishful thinking: Maybe that was because Rolle's man was covered all night. :thumbup:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
when did walter switch names???

nice writeup for us out-of-towners who didn't get to see the game.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Walter. Good insights. I was wondering about Warner's footwork on that fumble.

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
You are wrong on Big. He was by far our best lineman and stuck his man every play. Hodgins had a fantastic game and Reid as you said was excellent. I've been semi-bashing Rowen in other threads for the planning and play calling also.

BigRedArk

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Good write-up Walter. I agree on Francisco. Hope he makes the PS. I was really impressed with Bulman too. He looks like he has some potential. I hope he makes the squad. He could provide depth.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BigDavis75 said:
You are wrong on Big. He was by far our best lineman and stuck his man every play. Hodgins had a fantastic game and Reid as you said was excellent. I've been semi-bashing Rowen in other threads for the planning and play calling also.

do you think it's fair to bash play calling in preseason?

I mean I just watched Parcells have Henson take a knee twice from his 26 yard line before the half ended, but its PRESEASON. Henson had just made a double mistake overthrowing Witten, and not seeing double coverage, so Parcells apparently decided it was better for Henson's confidence to have him mad about taking a knee, than to have him compound the mistake.

The preseason is all about showing nothing important and getting to see how players compete and respond. An OC who looks brilliant in the preseason is probably not a great OC. Unless he's Martz back in 99.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
BigDavis75 said:
You are wrong on Big. He was by far our best lineman and stuck his man every play.

I'm with you on this, 75.

From what I saw BIG's man got no where near Warner, which has been a big reason as to Warner not being sacked once as of yet.

Additionally every time JJ ran to the left he atleast picked 4 or 5 yds. So I also can't agree with Walters point about Wells having trouble run blocking ether.

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
Redsz said:
I'm with you on this, 75.

From what I saw BIG's man got no where near Warner, which has been a big reason as to Warner not being sacked once as of yet.

Additionally every time JJ ran to the left he atleast picked 4 or 5 yds. So I also can't agree with Walters point about Wells having trouble run blocking ether.

Big and Wells are very quick. If you all will notice the Cardinals ran several plays where the slot reciever on run plays on Bigs side will seal the corner. The reciever will blow up the DE and allow Big and or Wells to get to the second level of defenders it was extremely successful and was awesome to see the DE blown up every play.

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
do you think it's fair to bash play calling in preseason?

I mean I just watched Parcells have Henson take a knee twice from his 26 yard line before the half ended, but its PRESEASON. Henson had just made a double mistake overthrowing Witten, and not seeing double coverage, so Parcells apparently decided it was better for Henson's confidence to have him mad about taking a knee, than to have him compound the mistake.

The preseason is all about showing nothing important and getting to see how players compete and respond. An OC who looks brilliant in the preseason is probably not a great OC. Unless he's Martz back in 99.[/QUOTE

For damn sure we should protect our QB in preseason. I would not want to hide a few formations at the expense of having my QB getting teed off on every play.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BigDavis75 said:
For damn sure we should protect our QB in preseason. I would not want to hide a few formations at the expense of having my QB getting teed off on every play.

OK but you're missing 2 starters on the OL and your opponent is blitzing, do you just run the ball over and over? do you start doing a lot of hot reads and blitz pickups stuff that you may not want to show teams?

Warner didn't get sacked did he? I realize he was getting blitzed and likely took some hits, but maybe Green and Rowen want to find out if Warner will hang in there or not?

Not advocating getting the guy killed, but very few NFL teams run creative offenses, they have things they want to see and they do them regardless of what teh defense does.

For example it was evident that parcells told Henson over and over get the ball out quickly, which translated to Henson to don't look downfield throw underneath. So Seattle was rolling their coverage up all the time and Henson continued to try and force short and intermediate passes. is their OC stupid, is he stupid, or did Parcells and the OC want to see something no matter what the opponent was in?

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
OK but you're missing 2 starters on the OL and your opponent is blitzing, do you just run the ball over and over? do you start doing a lot of hot reads and blitz pickups stuff that you may not want to show teams?

Warner didn't get sacked did he? I realize he was getting blitzed and likely took some hits, but maybe Green and Rowen want to find out if Warner will hang in there or not?

Not advocating getting the guy killed, but very few NFL teams run creative offenses, they have things they want to see and they do them regardless of what teh defense does.

For example it was evident that parcells told Henson over and over get the ball out quickly, which translated to Henson to don't look downfield throw underneath. So Seattle was rolling their coverage up all the time and Henson continued to try and force short and intermediate passes. is their OC stupid, is he stupid, or did Parcells and the OC want to see something no matter what the opponent was in?

The idea is to win, right? Green knew that our 2&3rd team guys were better than their's so all the #1's had to do was keep it close and the mop up guys would win it.

Worked like a charm.

:D

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
For some reason, my old password didn't work, so I had to create a new membership...so I just shortened my member name to Mitch.

I may have over-reacted to BIG's play...and if so, I apologize. And maybe Wells will pan out at LG. I want both of them to step up...because I like our chances if they do. If the o-line continues to struggle...we won't be a playoff contender.

I am very surprised that DG and RG didn't do more to address the o-line needs, especially since they had more cap room to play with.

Is it a coincidence that both the Cardinal offense and defense are vulnerable in the middle?

Traditionally, teams that are vulnerable in the middle, lose more than they win.

One of Bill Parcells' main philosophies is to build his teams from the inside out. John Madden concurs. "If you can't run...and you can't stop the run...you can't win." (Madden) The exception: wide open offenses like the Rams' and eagles'.

This is one of the main reasons why I believe that guards are more important to a team's success in the NFL...you can always help an OT by chipping a DE with a RB...but you can't help a guard open a hole if he doesn't have the stength or the technique. And running between the tackles is predicated on the guards' ability to get a push on the DTs.

Hopefully, Elton Brown will mature quickly as an NFL guard. That would solve one spot. And, as I said, I hope Wells pans out...but there's no question in my mind that if DG flip-flopped Big and Wells, this offense would be able to run the football bewteen the tackles. (I know, guys...it will never happen)...but it should happen until the Cardinals acquire a LG who can run block....that is, if teh Cardinals want to feature a steady diet of running plays.

As for tipping one's hand in the pre-season, I understand the argument...but...the sooner the coaches adapt the offense to the strength of the personnel, the more confident the offense will be. When I was coaching I always believed that you do what you do well...and that will take care of everything else. When Warner was leading the Rams to Super Bowls... all of the opponents knew what was coming and the vast majority of them still couldn't stop it.

If the Cardinal coaches are smart...they should open this offense up the way the Eagles did last year...throw the ball more than run (58% pass-Eagles 2004) and use JJ Arrington first as a receiving threat out of the backfield (as the Eagles do with Brian Westbrook), then as a runner on draws and sweeps. Marcel Shipp and James Hodgins come in when the team has the lead and wants to control the clock. By then the opposing d-lines will be gassed from trying to get to Warner all afternoon.

The Eagles and Andy Reid figured that with their defense...they could open up the offense in an effort to put games out of reach...and they were right. The Cardinals have a defense that they can believe in, in this way.

The three most talented players on the Cardinal offense are Q, Fitz, BJ and JJ...it would make sense to open this offense up...so that they all get plenty of touches each game. If the Cardinals are ignorant enough to think they can run-run-pass, like teams of the past have tried to do...they won't be putting the ball consistently in the hands of their best players.

Think of the personnel comparisons to the Rams when Warner was there: Bruce-Holt-Hakim-Faulk...Q-Fitz-BJ-JJ respectively.

I still think the Cards need to add a speedy slot receiver for 4 WR sets...a la Ricky Proehl, Troy Brown or Brandon Stokely. I was hoping that Dan Sheldon could fill that role...but he looks like he will need a year on the practice squad to adjust to the NFL.

Last edited:

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
The thing that impressed me is how well our second team played against theirs. Could we have some depth on this team? While we have some holes, it is an odd feeling to entertain the idea that we have a little.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Mitch said:
I may have over-reacted to BIG's play...and if so, I apologize.

Hey dude, no need to apologize. We all see different things out there. I just happened not to agree with you on Reggie Wells and BIG.

Camshaft

Registered
Reaction score
Best thread in avery long time. All good reading. Mitch and replies. Thanks. It made my morning coffee.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The wild card here might be Ernest Shazor, if they switch him to OLB...which he appeared to be playing when he intercepted the ball in the flat.
First of all - terrific analysis.

Clue to the Shazor interception took place presnap and at the the snap. Just prior to the snap, Blackstock moved up into blitz position. The KC quarterback thought he'd have 2 receivers being covered by one man in the right flat (sound of drooling). But instead of blitzing, Blackstock suddenly drifted back into coverage which, in turn, allowed Shazor to step into the middle of the pattern. (I saw a similar "fake zone blitz" move result in a pick in another preseason game this past weekend. I think you'll see more of this).

I'd like to keep Shazor at SS. We need a backup behind Wilson who is a clone of Wilson. I think Shazor most closely fits that profile.

Finally, it will be interesting to see how quickly E Brown, Blackstock (& maybe Mitchell, Hardy & Shazor) can learn their craft and be ready to step up and contribute. If they can do so by mid-season, this could be huge for us.

spanky1

Reaction score
JeffGollin said:
The wild card here might be Ernest Shazor, if they switch him to OLB...which he appeared to be playing when he intercepted the ball in the flat.
First of all - terrific analysis.

Clue to the Shazor interception took place presnap and at the the snap. Just prior to the snap, Blackstock moved up into blitz position. The KC quarterback thought he'd have 2 receivers being covered by one man in the right flat (sound of drooling). But instead of blitzing, Blackstock suddenly drifted back into coverage which, in turn, allowed Shazor to step into the middle of the pattern. (I saw a similar "fake zone blitz" move result in a pick in another preseason game this past weekend. I think you'll see more of this).

I'd like to keep Shazor at SS. We need a backup behind Wilson who is a clone of Wilson. I think Shazor most closely fits that profile.

Finally, it will be interesting to see how quickly E Brown, Blackstock (& maybe Mitchell, Hardy & Shazor) can learn their craft and be ready to step up and contribute. If they can do so by mid-season, this could be huge for us.

Jeff,

Question and not an "are you kidding" comment: Does J Hardy make this team at CB? I have Rolle, Macklin, Tate, and Green as locks. That leaves Hardy, Reid, Nelson, Walls "looking in". How many do we keep in total (5 or 6) and does Reid and/or Hardy go to PS?

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree that Rowan needs to look carefully at this tape. This is how most teams will defend us this season...Blitz, blitz, blitz. We need to be able to counter that. We need to make teams pay for blitzing. That will slow them down and open other options.

I think JJ and Shipp are a great pair of backs and will do fine. I like JR returning kicks. I think he has something to prove and he has size that will not let him go down on the first hit. And we know that when you return a punt getting by the first wave is the key.

The OL needs some help. This will be our achillies heal this season. How the OL goes so go we.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Walt I agree about opening it up but I think that's precisely the plan, all we're hearing is we're going to run 3Wr the majority of the time, and I think that implies Green wants to throw the ball. Rowen may like to run a bit more but my impression of Green's offense in Minnesota was that the running game worked largely because defenses were set up to stop the pass.

When you're constantly in 3 WR and they fear the pass, the defense is often in nickel packages and that gives you one less "good" run defender since typically teams are taking out a LB and putting in a CB. So you spread them out and then you have big holes to run through which is why Green likes speed backs as his primary guy, because he anticipates over the course of games they're going to get some gaping holes when they catch the defense playing pass, and he wants someone fast enough to take that ball to the house.

I do agree that we're going to see lots of blitzes and the key is going to be how we defeat those blitzes, but I don't see where we'd benefit from going max protect (which I think is what Bigdavis75 was suggesting if I read him correctly) when our entire offensive design is 3WR? I think that's why Green prefers TE's who can block, he knows with his 3wr set teams are going to bring the house, and he wants a TE who can help pick that up, and seal the corner on run plays.

I guess I'm just not worried at all about playcalling in preseason, it's intentionally bland. I'm not a huge Parcells fan but I completely agree with what he was doing last night with Henson and Romo, he wants to see how they react to certain situations, and frankly last night Romo looked a lot better at it. Henson was so fixated on get the ball out early, he wasn't looking downfield, Romo was. Green wants to see the same things from his guys on offense and I would assume that's why we didn't shake things up when KC was blitzing.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Henson was so fixated on get the ball out early, he wasn't looking downfield, Romo was. Green wants to see the same things from his guys on offense and I would assume that's why we didn't shake things up when KC was blitzing.

Henson is pure garbage. The guy just doesn't even look the part of an NFL QB. He looks so out of place. I recall people saying his has a nice arm, but boy he looked erratic last night.