Cards 24 Chiefs 17: Offensive Observations and Notes

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
I was saying we should try to make it through preseason without any injuries. We did go to a max protect at one point in the game when Rowen got smart. Also, to answer Spanky's question I say that we carry 6 CB's; Rolle, Mack, Green, Tate, Walls, and Reid. Other than that sweet int. I haven't seen a lot from Hardy. We also might have to carry 5 safeties; Wilson, Grif, Ohalete, Shazor, and Harris. That's 11 players in the secondary which is a huge amount but it is one our deepest and most talented positions. Shazor might have to go to the PS as a solution. But couldn't any other team be able to pick him up then? Like we did with Leon Joe?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
clif said:
Henson is pure garbage. The guy just doesn't even look the part of an NFL QB. He looks so out of place. I recall people saying his has a nice arm, but boy he looked erratic last night.

The big problem he has and you can see it when he plays is he's still thinking way too much instead of playing. When he came to Dallas last year he was throwing the ball 3/4 not over the top and Dallas spent this offseason working on that, everything I read says he's been really inconsistent in camp because he's so concerned with his throwing motion. When it doesn't feel natural, it's a distraction.

I won't give up on him yet but the kid had a magic arm at Michigan and right now he's clearly so far behind because he missed so much football and now he's even having issues with throwing the ball because baseball messed up his throwing motion.

That said, Parcells is the WORST coach in the NFL for a guy like Henson, he has no patience with young QB's, not to mention a guy who spent years playing baseball. He expects Henson to get it and get it now and if he doesn't, he will play someone else, he doesn't believe in developing young QB's. It always surprised me Dallas signed Henson given they had Parcells.

last night Drew looked bad, even the drops were balls thrown well short of first down markers where guys dropped the ball mainly because they were thinking he wouldn't possibly throw the ball that short. Seems totally lost.

Too bad, if he'd never gone to baseball the kid would have been a star but right now he looks like he waited too long to come back to football. If you saw him in college and watch him now he just doesn't look to be the same guy, hopefully he'll calm down and the game will come back to him.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
We also might have to carry 5 safeties; Wilson, Grif, Ohalete, Shazor, and Harris. That's 11 players in the secondary which is a huge amount but it is one our deepest and most talented positions. Shazor might have to go to the PS as a solution. But couldn't any other team be able to pick him up then?

Don't forget that Adrian Mayes is in that mix as well. His special teams play gives him a real good shot at making the roster.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Duckjake said:
Don't forget that Adrian Mayes is in that mix as well. His special teams play gives him a real good shot at making the roster.

Oakland released Marques Anderson yesterday, I gotta say I wouldn't be opposed to us picking him up if he's healthy. Not just because he's a UCLA guy he's a versatile guy he's played both SS and FS and while he's not a great player he's pretty good. I think Oakland released him because Derrick Gibson(former #1 pick) finally won the starting job and they were paying Anderson too much as a backup.

1DS

Registered
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
The big problem he has and you can see it when he plays is he's still thinking way too much instead of playing. When he came to Dallas last year he was throwing the ball 3/4 not over the top and Dallas spent this offseason working on that, everything I read says he's been really inconsistent in camp because he's so concerned with his throwing motion. When it doesn't feel natural, it's a distraction.

I won't give up on him yet but the kid had a magic arm at Michigan and right now he's clearly so far behind because he missed so much football and now he's even having issues with throwing the ball because baseball messed up his throwing motion.

That said, Parcells is the WORST coach in the NFL for a guy like Henson, he has no patience with young QB's, not to mention a guy who spent years playing baseball. He expects Henson to get it and get it now and if he doesn't, he will play someone else, he doesn't believe in developing young QB's. It always surprised me Dallas signed Henson given they had Parcells.

last night Drew looked bad, even the drops were balls thrown well short of first down markers where guys dropped the ball mainly because they were thinking he wouldn't possibly throw the ball that short. Seems totally lost.

Too bad, if he'd never gone to baseball the kid would have been a star but right now he looks like he waited too long to come back to football. If you saw him in college and watch him now he just doesn't look to be the same guy, hopefully he'll calm down and the game will come back to him.

Unless he is with the Cardinals, I personaly don't care if he is out of football in the next 6 weeks.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1DS said:
Unless he is with the Cardinals, I personaly don't care if he is out of football in the next 6 weeks.

I do, I've been stalking him for years. :D

Just one of those guys who always intrigued me because his talent in football was so obvious yet he persisted in wanting to play baseball.

He's made a lot of money anyways but when you consider he was rated ahead of Michael Vick in college you realize how much money he forfeited by choosing the Yankees, people like that always fascinate me.

I met a guy in Baja 3 years ago who was a big UM booster, and had met Henson a few times. He said the kid was a primadonna and he felt that he was so involved in trying to "maneuver" himself into a better situation (by using baseball as leverage and then football as leverage) that he wasn't sure if Henson would ever just settle down and concentrate on playing. I think that may be the problem he's having now.

If Dallas cut him there'd be a lot of teams interested in him, I'd bet we'd be one of them.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:

The thing that sticks out to me is that he doesn't seem to stand strong in the pocket. He seems like he slumps over. I never really noticed this before in a QB. He seems short and sloppy.

A couple of times Madden and Michaels mentioned how the ball was floating out to the reciever.

When Romo came in, I saw a marked improvement, but his recievers just couldn't get open or catch passes. I think Romo could turn into a nice starter.

Again I go back to something that Irvin mentioned. He didn't think Dallas receivers had the ability to get deep, and I agree after last night.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
clif said:
The thing that sticks out to me is that he doesn't seem to stand strong in the pocket. He seems like he slumps over. I never really noticed this before in a QB. He seems short and sloppy.

A couple of times Madden and Michaels mentioned how the ball was floating out to the reciever.

When Romo came in, I saw a marked improvement, but his recievers just couldn't get open or catch passes. I think Romo could turn into a nice starter.

Again I go back to something that Irvin mentioned. He didn't think Dallas receivers had the ability to get deep, and I agree after last night.

Yep Henson seems completely lost in the pocket, he did step up prett well but he wasn't looking downfield and he didn't look confident. The pick was a double dip, overthrew the guy, and didn't see the CB who picked it(double coverage). Nearly had another pick on a ball that floated. If you saw the kid in college he had a rocket for an arm and was as accurate a deep ball thrower as I've ever seen, he and Terrell were just brilliant together.

Right now one throw to the next is totally different. Doesn't look at all like the same guy, not the normal adjustment from college to NFL he looks like a guy who's been away from football for too long.

But he's still only 25 and in year 2 of an 8 year contract, has 3.5 million guaranteed, and can void the deal(as can Dallas) after 4 years if he's not happy. So I'd be pretty surprised if he were to get cut there doesn't seem to be much benefit for Dallas his salary is low, all the big money is guaranteed, and it's not like he's taking playing time away from some other promising QB.

But I'm far less confident in his future now than I was a year ago, it's 18 months since he signed with Dallas and he's still visibly rusty.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Yep Henson seems completely lost in the pocket, he did step up prett well but he wasn't looking downfield and he didn't look confident. The pick was a double dip, overthrew the guy, and didn't see the CB who picked it(double coverage). Nearly had another pick on a ball that floated. If you saw the kid in college he had a rocket for an arm and was as accurate a deep ball thrower as I've ever seen, he and Terrell were just brilliant together.

Right now one throw to the next is totally different. Doesn't look at all like the same guy, not the normal adjustment from college to NFL he looks like a guy who's been away from football for too long.

But he's still only 25 and in year 2 of an 8 year contract, has 3.5 million guaranteed, and can void the deal(as can Dallas) after 4 years if he's not happy. So I'd be pretty surprised if he were to get cut there doesn't seem to be much benefit for Dallas his salary is low, all the big money is guaranteed, and it's not like he's taking playing time away from some other promising QB.

But I'm far less confident in his future now than I was a year ago, it's 18 months since he signed with Dallas and he's still visibly rusty.

I really don't know how much of that you can put on him or that offense. They look so stagnant. If it wasn't for Julius Jones, then I don't know where they would be. As you stated earlier, Parcells is not patient with young players, but he has to realize that is what wins games these days. You can't keep having has beens being your focal point. Parcells seems to be living in the past too much.

If they lose JJ they are done. I have to wonder if it is killing Thomas Jones to see his little brother doing all the things that he couldn't

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
clif said:
I really don't know how much of that you can put on him or that offense. They look so stagnant. If it wasn't for Julius Jones, then I don't know where they would be. As you stated earlier, Parcells is not patient with young players, but he has to realize that is what wins games these days. You can't keep having has beens being your focal point. Parcells seems to be living in the past too much.

If they lose JJ they are done. I have to wonder if it is killing Thomas Jones to see his little brother doing all the things that he couldn't

Henson needs to go see Roger Theder to turn him into a robot QB (-:

Yep the Dallas offense has major problems, Glenn is still ok but he's not as fast as he once was and Keyshawn can't run at all, the only WR they play who can get deep now is Quincy Morgan and Parcells doesn't seem to like to play 3WR. So the entire field is compressed and it just bogs them down. That team is desperate for some speed at WR so that opens up the field for Witten and Jones to run.

But boy does Jeff Gollin's boy DeMarcus Ware look promising, if they get Marcus Spears back healthy that defense could be pretty scary.

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Henson needs to go see Roger Theder to turn him into a robot QB (-:

Yep the Dallas offense has major problems, Glenn is still ok but he's not as fast as he once was and Keyshawn can't run at all, the only WR they play who can get deep now is Quincy Morgan and Parcells doesn't seem to like to play 3WR. So the entire field is compressed and it just bogs them down. That team is desperate for some speed at WR so that opens up the field for Witten and Jones to run.

But boy does Jeff Gollin's boy DeMarcus Ware look promising, if they get Marcus Spears back healthy that defense could be pretty scary.

Yeah the int he had last night was sick. (Forget for a minute Hasselbacks innaccuracy on the run) but Ware made a nice play closing fast!