Cards @ Chiefs pre-season game #2 official game thread

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Nope, that's what bothers me man. Fundamentals are fundamentals. They remain the same. And we didn't do any of that with tackling.

No kidding. I've never seen so many guys run themselves out of position to make a tackle or bounce off runners like our D the last two games.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Has anyone considered the possibility (however remote) that the battle for #3 turns out to be between Bartel and Kolb?

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Has anyone considered the possibility (however remote) that the battle for #3 turns out to be between Bartel and Kolb?

My word! Imagine the hit the Cards organization would take if the guy they gave up $100 jillion dollars in talent, draft picks and cash, for couldn't even beat out Bartel. We could have had 65 Brian St.Pierre's for what it cost to get Kevin Fiasco. Wow, would CKW been in heaven with 65 BSP's.

Good thing the Bidwills aren't Japanese.

Last edited:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

If not for the cap situation that would be caused by dumping him, yes, I think Kolb would be fighting for a roster spot right now. He is looking a helluva lot worse than Leinart was when he got waived.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My word! Imagine the hit the Cards organization would take if the guy they gave up $100 jillion dollars in talent, draft picks and cash, for couldn't even beat out Bartel. We could have had 65 Brian St.Pierre's for what it cost to get Kevin Fiasco. Wow, would CKW been in heaven with 65 BSP's.
Good thing the Bidwills aren't Japanese.

Mitch would have been right there with CKW.:D

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I wish that was the case, but it's not even remote
If not for the cap situation that would be caused by dumping him, yes, I think Kolb would be fighting for a roster spot right now. He is looking a helluva lot worse than Leinart was when he got waived.
Well, the FO wants to get new contracts for DWash and LSH. Just make em front-loaded, problem solved. But again, never happen

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I wish that was the case, but it's not even remote

Well, the FO wants to get new contracts for DWash and LSH. Just make em front-loaded, problem solved. But again, never happen

Really?

Front loaded or not, you have to account for this year's salary and a prorated share of the bonus. Kolb being cut and having to account for the remainder of his bonus this year would virtually eat up all of the existing CAP space.

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Really?

Front loaded or not, you have to account for this year's salary and a prorated share of the bonus. Kolb being cut and having to account for the remainder of his bonus this year would virtually eat up all of the existing CAP space.

I must have misunderstood his comment. I thought he was referring to the cap floor

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Yep, it's what I've been thinking the whole time as a definite possibility. I said something to the effect after the draft (that rough time era) and cited that we've done it before with keeping Skelton and cutting Leinart rather than risking losing Skelton trying to put him on the PS.

Of course, paying Kolb puts a wrinkle in this, but there are many ways to look at it.

#1 We had to pay Kolb before the draft, and it might have been seen as the best way to them then given we hadn't drafted anyone like Lindley and there was no guarantee we would coupled with giving Kolb one last preseason to show us what he could or couldn't do. If anything this was the real money doesn't matter move. (though imo it would have been wise to cut bait go after Manning without a time deadline and if and probably unsuccessful, get a different veteran QB)

#2 All of it is a sunk cost now, even future cap hits if cut are baked into the cake. If the guy can't perform or stay on the field, the cap hit can only be worse for the team, not better. You can't will a guy to be worth what he is signed for. He's guaranteed to be against the cap in some fashion whether he's on the team or not. But does it help the team more from him being here as compared to someone else? Not just this year, but future years and potential opportunities as well? As well as hindering the potential progression in camp and in season of Skelton and Lindley?

#3 If winning is important, you never let $$$ be the factor. Now it's not like cutting Kolb and actually saving money (actual money, not cap money) is the same as deciding to spend on say a Mario Williams or something. It's more about understanding you've made a mistake, will have dead cap space, and have to pay a rookie or Bartel's contract as a substitute....plus any money spent on a QB in subsequent years that Kolb would be under contract otherwise. This year in real outflow this point forward, it would be a savings, but would turn into a negative as soon as we signed a new QB as early as next season. Of course assuming it was for more than what Kolb was still owed.

#4 They might still value Kolb as a potential 2012 backup at this stage (if he loses to Skelton).

I think Skelton should start. I think Kolb if he wins, will get injured and until then will be mostly ineffective. If Skelton doesn't work out and is sucking it up, it really would not surprise me to see Lindley start as many or more games than Skelton started his rookie season.

We've seen Whiz start rookie QB's, and given the question marks from our QB's, it would not surprise me to see Lindley start some games this year. Even if Skelton doesn't get injured. Even if Kolb is still on the roster as a Kolb/Skelton/Lindley or Skelton/Kolb/Lindley setup.

Regardless of the money invested in Kolb, if money is the only reason you are keeping a guy at the most important position in football, then you are only hurting the team. That the sort of backwards thinking horribly run teams utilize. I'd like to think we've moved on from that.

That doesn't mean if Kolb is the starter or makes the team that it's like that. But between now and the end of the preseason, it may become obvious, at which point a decision would then have to be made. They made a relatively similar one before regarding The Leenart and Skeletor, why not Koncussion Kolb and Frasier Crane's high school crush Lorna Lindley?

We have opened up some cap room, and the flexibility is there to do it. It might be there for DWash, but it could also be used for this. Perhaps there is a way to do both, but would have to push things out a little bit more under DWash's contract.

Finally I think Kolb's window closes if he can't claim the starter's position most likely imo by end of preseason and no later than by the end of this year. I think Skelton has at least until the end of this year. But regardless will have more chances since he'll be under contract. Though his chances would be behind either another FA QB or an upper round draft choice. Of course Lindley is in the mix and could seize the starter's position this year, however unlikely, with next year being obviously a better shot at it. I could even see next year us with a depth chart potentially as FA or Draftpick/Lindley/Skelton or Lindley/Skelton/Draft pick or Lindley/Draft pick/ Skelton. Lots of events have to transpire to get us there, but I see all of the above as possibilties, even if Kolb being on the roster this year is the most likely outcome.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05