Cards coach to CofC: Expect 10-6 year

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Josh Kelley
The Arizona Republic
Jun. 24, 2004 12:00 AM

Have a question for your favorite Suns, Cardinals, Coyotes, D-Backs player? Click here to submit the question for one of our reporters to take it to the source. Look for the answers on Page 2 of Saturday's Arizona Republic.

Dennis Green sounded more like a motivational speaker than a head football coach during a speech to the Tempe Chamber of Commerce at a luncheon Tuesday.

The first-year Arizona Cardinals coach told the crowd of about 300 that his mission is to inject an attitude of winning into a franchise with a legacy of losing.

"The Arizona Cardinals have never won before," Green said. "That has nothing to do with winning now."

Green, who lives in Ahwatukee Foothills, guaranteed a playoff berth and predicted a record of 10-6, a far cry from the Cardinals' record of 4-12 one year ago.

"I believe in fair play," Green said. "Every team should get a big, juicy bite of the apple."

Green described a team with plenty of young talent on offense, which figures to be the team's backbone, he said. Wide receivers Anquan Boldin and Larry Fitzgerald, last year's Heisman Trophy runner-up from the University of Pittsburgh,have impressed Green with their talent, along with tight end Freddie Jones and quarterback Josh McCown.

But Green's cheerleading turned sour when he expressed his displeasure over the Cardinals' first preseason game Aug. 14 in Minnesota against the Vikings, Green's former team.

"I think that's the National Football League's sense of humor and not mine," he said. "That was a terrible decision on their part . . . that game should be played here."

Because so many Vikings fans live in the Valley, the crowd turnout for a Vikings game would have been much larger than what's expected for the Cardinals' other scheduled preseason games, Green said.

He also called on residents to "defend your city" during the next NFL draft from the likes of Eli Manning, who wouldn't play for the San Diego Chargers despite the team using its No. 1 draft pick on him this year.

"Never allow a 23-year-old, snotty-nosed guy" to do that, Green said to a chorus of laughs.

jstadvl

R U gonna B My Girl
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I talked with

someone at the office and they said Green has predicted playoffs every time he talks.

Wild Card

Surfin' Bird
Reaction score
masterphomeg said:

Josh Kelley
The Arizona Republic
Jun. 24, 2004 12:00 AM

...Green, who lives in Ahwatukee Foothills, guaranteed a playoff berth and predicted a record of 10-6, a far cry from the Cardinals' record of 4-12 one year ago.

It's easy to throw numbers around. I want to see someone find ten wins on the 2004 schedule, based on something more than wishful thinking. And I figure that'd take at least 6-2 at home and .500 on the road, from a team that couldn't win an away game all of last season.

I'll believe it when I see it. Maybe, not even then.

WC

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
Wow 10-6. Thats a big goal to accomplish even for Green. He needs luck and injury free season and everything to go right for him to attain 10-6. :doi:

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wild Card said:
It's easy to throw numbers around. I want to see someone find ten wins on the 2004 schedule, based on something more than wishful thinking. WC

It's all wishful thinking at this point, for every coach and every team. For me, I don't care about finding ten wins on the schedule, I'd much rather see them on the field. Any pro team worth a damn should have the playoffs as a goal. And, if they don't, IMO, they are eliminating themselves before the season even starts because when the going gets a little tough, they'll roll over because they don't expect to win anyhow.

What should he say? "Gosh, I think we might be better than last year if we try really, really hard. But, our schedule is soooo tough, it's not fair. Boo hoo." Would people rather hear that?

BIGDADDY_REDBIRD

Registered
Reaction score
It's refreshing to have a coach that has high expectations for his team. He's set a team goal that he's confident they will reach. I'm excited at the thought of actually competing every Sunday.

jstadvl

R U gonna B My Girl
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I've asked before

what team, on this year's schedule, can't we beat?
Perhaps- N.E., Bills, and Panthers ?
The rest I see us being able to compete with and beat. Not that we will, injuries, penalties, breaks, bounces etc. But they're definitely not pencilied in losses.

Jim O

Reaction score
masterphomeg said:
He also called on residents to "defend your city" during the next NFL draft from the likes of Eli Manning, who wouldn't play for the San Diego Chargers despite the team using its No. 1 draft pick on him this year.

"Never allow a 23-year-old, snotty-nosed guy" to do that, Green said to a chorus of laughs.

Them are fightin' words!!! :eek:

Jim O

Reaction score
masterphomeg said:
Green, who lives in Ahwatukee Foothills...

Out of all the places he had to choose from, Coach Green bought a place that is a few houses down from Coach Mac's residence!

Wild Card

Surfin' Bird
Reaction score
ajcardfan said:
It's all wishful thinking at this point, for every coach and every team. For me, I don't care about finding ten wins on the schedule, I'd much rather see them on the field.

AJCF:

You mean, they actually have to play the games? Gosh, who knew? ;)

What should he say? "Gosh, I think we might be better than last year if we try really, really hard. But, our schedule is soooo tough, it's not fair. Boo hoo." Would people rather hear that?

Well, since you asked, I'd rather hear some version of the following:

"We're going to put our best players on the field every week, regardless of where they got drafted or how much they make. Those players are going to be well-prepared to face that week's opponent. We're not going to beat ourselves with lack of effort, sloppy play or mental mistakes.

"We're going to attack on both sides of the ball. We're going to dictate to our opponents, not try to take what they give us. We're going to be an exciting team to watch, and a team that our fans will be proud of.

"It's a long season, and September is a long way away. I'll leave predicting what our record's gonna be to the oddsmakers. What I and my coaching staff are doing is preparing to beat the 2003 NFC West champion Rams in St. Louis on September 12. Then, after we're 1-0 in league, conference, and division play, we'll get ready to beat the world champion New England Patriots in our home opener on September 19. And I hope we'll have a sell-out crowd to watch us go 2-0.

"After that? We're going to play 'em one at a time, just like they're scheduled. But our goal is the playoffs, and I expect nothing less."

Or words to that effect.

WC

seesred

Reaction score
I think it's great that we have someone who wants to win so badly and knows how that he challanges his team with actual win goals. Even Ryan never said that I remember that we will goal ourselves for x amount of wins.If we get there great. If we play hard great. If we improve even greater.

IMO the fans that leave themselves on the living room chair this season will miss a very exciting ride!

GBR

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wild Card said:
AJCF:

"After that? We're going to play 'em one at a time, just like they're scheduled. But our goal is the playoffs, and I expect nothing less."

Or words to that effect.

WC

Which is just fine. To make the playoffs, it typically takes a 10-6 record. So, saying it out loud instead of letting a reporter come to that conclusion is not a big deal. I really see no major difference in what you said and what Green has said this offseason. He said, more than once, that we are a long way from being where we need to be for that during the minicamps.

Again, much ado about nothing in the dog days of June.

Wild Card

Surfin' Bird
Reaction score
seesred said:
I think it's great that we have someone who wants to win so badly and knows how that he challanges his team with actual win goals. Even Ryan never said that I remember that we will goal ourselves for x amount of wins.

Seesred:

In goal-setting, it's usually a good thing to be specific. Saying in June that you're going to go 10-6 in the upcoming season isn't specific. Which ten games are you going to win? Which six games do you expect to lose? Who knows? The Cardinals could open the season 0-6, and still be "on target" to reach that goal.

Winning one game is a specific goal. Saying you're going to beat the Rams, in St. Louis, on September 12. That's a goal you can emphasize in every meeting, every practice, every scrimmage, every preseason game. That's a goal you can gameplan for, point toward, build up to.

And it's an achievable goal, especially in the minds of the players. No professional athlete wants to believe that he and/or his team can't beat a specific opponent. ("Win one game? Beat the Rams? Yeah, we can do that.")

WC

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
ajcardfan said:
It's all wishful thinking at this point, for every coach and every team. For me, I don't care about finding ten wins on the schedule, I'd much rather see them on the field. Any pro team worth a damn should have the playoffs as a goal. And, if they don't, IMO, they are eliminating themselves before the season even starts because when the going gets a little tough, they'll roll over because they don't expect to win anyhow.

well, it WOULD be funny . . .