Cards considering Levi

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Is it possible that they would sign Levi and release Gandy? That would free up about 5 mil (I believe) in cap space. That is providing Levi is healthy. Or the Cards could wait and see if he can beat out MG and then decide. Thats assuming that Levi signs a vet min deal or there abouts.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
Is it possible that they would sign Levi and release Gandy? That would free up about 5 mil (I believe) in cap space. That is providing Levi is healthy. Or the Cards could wait and see if he can beat out MG and then decide. Thats assuming that Levi signs a vet min deal or there abouts.

Gandy has been a bargain and an overachiever since day 1 with the Cards. If adding LJ would mean a cut on the OL (which I hope it would not) I would rather see Deuce sent packing with Gandy or Jones shifted to
guard.

Deuce is making second round Money and has not played well

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
i can't believe he's only 29. It seems like he should be about Lomas Brown's age. I talked to ny Cincy buddy and he thinks Levi is done as a starter. He just couldn't cut it last year. Said he hasn't been the same player since he treid to come back in a couple weeks after arthroscopic surgery a few years ago. You have to give Jones credit. The only reason he came back was because it was the final game against Cleveland and the Bengals had to win to get in the playoffs. He shouldn't have played but sucked it up,damaged it some more, and hasn't been the same since.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why not go all the way...

If we're serious about acquiring all the Levis in America, in addition to Jones, why not reach all the way up to Alaska and bring in Levi Johnston?

(Side Note #1 - My first and favorite "Levi" was the first player of Afro American descent to captain the Yale football team in 1948. He starred at left halfback for the Bulldogs. Name: Levi Jackson. I saw him play).

(Side Note #2 - I also once sat at a "table down at Morey's" back in the day)./

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
i still wish we'd sign Vick if it was for a good price. imagine him in the backfield, his explosiveness and elusivness....not to mention his ability to pass would cause lots of confusion for the defense. i don't recall him ever causing any bad chemistry in the locker room besides that whole dog issue

He won't be useful to us this year even if we wanted to bring him in because he'll likely be suspended for the season.

Back on topic, Levi would be a good signing for depth and competition

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Gandy is a FA after this season and likely has played his way out of the Cardinals price range. I think Levi Jones is the stop gap to the line for next season until they can get a younger replacement for the position

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Like Urban said in his recent blog, this isnt new news. In fact the Cards have been keeping in contact with Levi this whole time since he has been cut. Also gives possible reasons why it hasnt happened yet and why it might not happen for some time, maybe even going into late preseason.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Why not bring him in? The risk would be little to none, and the upside is a potential starter on the OL. What's not to like about the move?

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If we're serious about acquiring all the Levis in America, in addition to Jones, why not reach all the way up to Alaska and bring in Levi Johnston?

(Side Note #1 - My first and favorite "Levi" was the first player of Afro American descent to captain the Yale football team in 1948. He starred at left halfback for the Bulldogs. Name: Levi Jackson. I saw him play).

(Side Note #2 - I also once sat at a "table down at Morey's" back in the day)./

One (me) can tell it's a slow news day based on this post
You must be registered for see images

I usually stay away from the site between draft day and start of TC, but five minutes between pulling the weeds out of my lawn and trying to find out if my beloved OTHER cardinals are winning brought me in....bigger question what was the name of the lead singer of the Four Tops...he was a Levi too (rip).

OT: How many Lee's can we come up with...does Brett Favre count as a Wrangler??
You must be registered for see images

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Why not bring him in? The risk would be little to none, and the upside is a potential starter on the OL. What's not to like about the move?

and a pair of Levi's is always a good investment...

Le Tigre

Reaction score
From a Bengal perspective...IMO you would be getting one helluva player. I still think he's a Top-10 tackle if the legs are right. Levi said earlier this year he's fine physically...evidently our bright front office (and completely incompetent medical staff) thought differently.

I may be slightly biased...as a huge Levi fan. I believe he'll make the Card line even better. I have no doubt. Sign him.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
From a Bengal perspective...IMO you would be getting one helluva player. I still think he's a Top-10 tackle if the legs are right. Levi said earlier this year he's fine physically...evidently our bright front office (and completely incompetent medical staff) thought differently.

I may be slightly biased...as a huge Levi fan. I believe he'll make the Card line even better. I have no doubt. Sign him.
i would like to sign him but i don't put much credence in a player saying he's fine physically. For one, it's the off season and they probably are all fine physically right now. And two,after hearing LeCharles Bentley say he was fine physically and nobody signing him, makes me think his medical condition was not all he made it out to be. I wanted the Cards to sign him bad but no other team has signed him so he must have very questionable health issues. Looking on the positive side, if Levi was 100%, you're right, the Cards would be getting an outstanding LT.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
If healthy, Levi would be a significant upgrade over Oliver Ross as the first tackle off the bench behind Gandy and the other Levi IMO. No brainer signing at or near the vet minimum.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Personally, I would stick with Gandy for this season, and have a competition at LT between Levi Brown, Brandon Keith, and Elliot Vallejo next year. I have had my fill of used up, injury prone, expenisve OL free agents.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
i still wish we'd sign Vick if it was for a good price. imagine him in the backfield, his explosiveness and elusivness....not to mention his ability to pass would cause lots of confusion for the defense. i don't recall him ever causing any bad chemistry in the locker room besides that whole dog issue

I would not sign Vick if he paid us. There are 70 million dog owners and 80 million cat owners in this nation. I am one of them. What he did is beyond cruel. He could be Joe Montana and I still would not want him. Somethings in life are unacceptable. If such a thing were to happen our stadium would be filled or picketted by PITA and anyone else who had a sense of decency. I want to win as much as anyone but not at any cost.

CT Card Fan

Registered
Reaction score
1 year deal should work... let's see how he does. Will be good for depth.

To fit in with some of his potential new teammmates, Levi went back in time to 2007 so that he could complain that the 1-year deal he had just signed with the NFC Champion Cardinals was not enough money and that he would hold out of camp if he did not get a contract extension with a large signing bonus.

Everyone in 2007-land thought he was crazy, especially when he said NFC Champion Cardinals............except for Drew Rosenhaus, who was particularly impressed with Levi's ability to bitch about a contract he would not even sign for 2 more years!

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
A couple of questions:

1. Didn't Jones play at ASU? If so I think he would love to play back in Arizona again.
  2. How the hell did Vick enter into this thread?
I have no problem bringing Jones in for Vet Minimum and seeing what he has left. Knee injuries on big guys scare the hell out of me. So I wouldn't invest big money bringing him in.

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I would not sign Vick if he paid us. There are 70 million dog owners and 80 million cat owners in this nation. I am one of them. What he did is beyond cruel. He could be Joe Montana and I still would not want him. Somethings in life are unacceptable. If such a thing were to happen our stadium would be filled or picketted by PITA and anyone else who had a sense of decency. I want to win as much as anyone but not at any cost.

PETA

bg7brd

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I would like to see the stadiun filled with PITAs. Free gyros for everyone.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
I hope they make this move. Areas of concern for me going into the season are

1. Pass Rush depth
2. Center depth
3. Tackle Depth

Damn....being a Cardinal fan in 2009 is like 50X better then every other year combined. :)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05