Cards fire 2 front office employees

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
Cards fire 2 front office employees

By Darren Urban, Tribune

The Cardinals have fired director of player administration Jay Nienkark, ending his 12-year tenure with the team and leaving the front office void in terms of managing the salary cap and running training camp.

Vice president of football operations Rod Graves declined to comment. Nienkark could not be reached.

The Cardinals also let go players secretary Erin Roberts Friday. The team had already dismissed two massage therapists who worked on the players and a team nutritionist and chiropractor. The Cardinals do not plan to fill the nutritionist and chiropractor positions.

Nienkark also negotiated rookie contracts for players drafted lower than the second round in a style that some player agents said rubbed them the wrong way.

The Cardinals are still trying to work out logistics for the second part of their training camp in Prescott, where the team will train after leaving Flagstaff in mid-August.

IN THE FOLD
The four restricted free agents the Cardinals made tender offers to have officially signed their one-year contracts for 2004: safety Adrian Wilson, cornerback Renaldo Hill, defensive tackle Marcus Bell and receiver Kevin Kasper.

Wilson will receive $1.37 million this season, while the other three are scheduled to make $628,000 each. Wilson will be a starter this season, while Hill will battle David Macklin for a starting job. Both Bell and Kasper will have to fight to make the team, playing positions overloaded with players.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
100%CardsFan said:
Has Nate Poole been signed yet????

He still has a year left on his current deal.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
profootballtalk:

GREEN PULLED TRIGGER ON NIENKARK

A league source tells us that Cardinals coach Dennis Green wanted Jay Nienkark out after nine years with the team.

So Nienkark was shown the door.

Nienkark helped manage the salary cap and he negotiated contracts with all mid-to-low-round picks. Per the source, Nienkark has a reputation of being very antagonistic with agents for those players, and Green doesn't like that approach.

Our guess is that Nienkark has been an in-house cancer for the Cardinals and Green, in his valiant effort to remake the franchise, decided to get rid of him.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
ajcardfan said:
profootballtalk:

A league source tells us that Cardinals coach Dennis Green wanted Jay Nienkark out after nine years with the team.

Nienkark helped manage the salary cap and he negotiated contracts with all mid-to-low-round picks. Per the source, Nienkark has a reputation of being very antagonistic with agents for those players, and Green doesn't like that approach.

Our guess is that Nienkark has been an in-house cancer for the Cardinals and Green, in his valiant effort to remake the franchise, decided to get rid of him.

well THATS certainly interesting. Nice work ajcardfan.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, anyone care to guess how many additional wins these moves will result in?

The purge is on. Tantamount to rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

OP
OP
azdad1978

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
ajcardfan said:
profootballtalk:

Good job ajcardfan :thumbup: But isn't Nienkark been with the team for 12 years not 9?

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
wallyburger said:

Ahhhhhhh......the dark side lives on......... :D

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
wallyburger said:

See the Cards are now going to be run in a professional manner. They are going to draft in a professional manner. Did you see how the draft has been rated? They are going to sign FAs in a professional manner. They beat out Parcells/DAL and Shanny/DEN for Berry. The coaches no actually instruct players. Players are now called out and told they have to perform. Player's jobs are no longer guaranteed. A winning system is being put into place. People are expected to show up and work out and to perform. IF THIS IS TRUE then it was done to make the team more professional. Amateur hour is over. When Marvin Lewis took over in CIN he recorded the answering machine message in their office. You do things the right way down the line. Every one associated with the team acts in a professional manner. If you don't like this team being shaped into a professional organization then I don't get where your head is at.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
azdad1978 said:
Good job ajcardfan :thumbup: But isn't Nienkark been with the team for 12 years not 9?

I'm not sure, to tell the truth. But, I am positive it was on his watch when we drafted that guy in the sixth round (DT - Mike Hold) and the guy refused to sign because of the way he was treated. IIRC, he went ahead with a another career instead.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
They said Nienkark was up in Seattle on Friday....guessing he is going to reunite with Fergy

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
wallyburger said:

Somewhere between 0 to 12.

Rediculous question = rediculous answer.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
wallyburger said:

Come on Wally, lighten up. Let's hope that Green has more success than all the coaches that I've had to deal with since I started following this team in '88.

Tell me about Antrell Rolle. :thumbup:

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
earthsci said:
Come on Wally, lighten up. Let's hope that Green has more success than all the coaches that I've had to deal with since I started following this team in '88.

Tell me about Antrell Rolle. :thumbup:

If these nmoves were perpetrated by Green , I find that scary. That is like NFL micro management 101.

Antrell Rolle shut down the " GREAT LARRY FITZGERALD 1 ON 1 ". Nuff said.
Could be #1 cornerback taken next year. Could fit in very well with the new rules. Good enough to come out this year, but probably made a good decision to come out next year. Big for a CB, fast and agile. Intelligent and character. Too good to be true.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
wallyburger said:
Could be #1 cornerback taken next year. Could fit in very well with the new rules. Good enough to come out this year, but probably made a good decision to come out next year. Big for a CB, fast and agile. Intelligent and character. Too good to be true.

I agree Rolle is the real deal. But I disagree, he should have came out this year and would have been the first CB taken and in the top 10. This years CB class was not good at all. 2005 CB class has all the makings to be as good as last this years WR class with guys like, Justin Miller, Marlin Jackson, Carlos Rogers, Corey Webster, Antonio Perkins, Chijioke Onyenegecha, Jimmy Williams, and a few others. All of those guys are over 6 foot and all first round material and a few wil give Rolle a run for his money to be the first CB taken. Either way next year is a really good year to get a CB in the draft.

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
He did not shut down Fitz, the MIA DL shut down the PIT QB. There are concerns about his speed teams are waiting for him to run a legit 40 and drills.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
More Green's fingerprints are expected to be found on Cardinals front office maneuvers...

Green could also be in the mood for change in the scouting department. Many of the scouts in the Cardinals system are worried that Green may want to bring in people with whom he has worked with before. They have reason to worry, only five of the 10 first-round draft choices since 1996 are still with the team and three of those (DT Wendell Bryant, DE Calvin Pace, and WR Bryant Johnson) have been huge disappointments. Green has let it be known that early round draft choices need to make an immediate impact.

http://story.foxsports.theinsiders.com/a.z?s=126&p=2&c=257610&refid=400

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
wallyburger said:
If these nmoves were perpetrated by Green , I find that scary. That is like NFL micro management 101. QUOTE]

I like that Green is micro managing this team, it had to be done and it should have been done along time ago. You must have alot of problems all over the team in all phases, be it players, coaching, the front office and on down, to have sucked as bad as the Cards have sucked. I mean consistently sucking for almost half a century takes alot of hard work and alot of bad moves to do. I don't care if this team is turned upside down and inside out by the new regime. This all shows that Bill Bidwill has stepped back big time and is letting Mike and Graves run the show and it looks like Green was handed the reigns to the organization.

Last edited:

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
DevonCardsFan said:
I like that Green is micro managing this team, it had to be done and it should have been done along time ago. You must have alot of problems all over the team in all phases, be it players, coaching, the front office and on down, to have sucked as bad as the Cards have sucked. I mean consistingly sucking for almost half a century takes alot of hard work and alot of bad moves to do. I don't care if this team is turned upside down and inside out by the new regime. This all shows that Bill Bidwill has stepped back big time and is letting Mike and Graves run the show and it looks like Green was handed the reigns to the organization.
:thumbup:

OP
OP
azdad1978

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
DevonCardsFan said:
wallyburger said:
If these nmoves were perpetrated by Green , I find that scary. That is like NFL micro management 101. QUOTE]

I like that Green is micro managing this team, it had to be done and it should have been done along time ago. You must have alot of problems all over the team in all phases, be it players, coaching, the front office and on down, to have sucked as bad as the Cards have sucked. I mean consistingly sucking for almost half a century takes alot of hard work and alot of bad moves to do. I don't care if this team is turned upside down and inside out by the new regime. This all shows that Bill Bidwill has stepped back big time and is letting Mike and Graves run the show and it looks like Green was handed the reigns to the organization.

:thumbup:

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DevonCardsFanThis all shows that Bill Bidwill has stepped back big time and is letting Mike and Graves run the show and it looks like Green was handed the reigns to the organization.[/QUOTE said:
Haven't Skorp and I been trying to tell everybody that for the last year ?

OP
OP
azdad1978

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
nidan said:
DevonCardsFanThis all shows that Bill Bidwill has stepped back big time and is letting Mike and Graves run the show and it looks like Green was handed the reigns to the organization.[/QUOTE said:
Haven't Skorp and I been trying to tell everybody that for the last year ?

Cool

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
wallyburger said:
If these nmoves were perpetrated by Green , I find that scary. That is like NFL micro management 101.

What I find scary is 4-12 seasons. I don't give a crap if the parking lot gaurd is fired for letting guys park crooked in their assigned spaces. A lot of changes had to be made and now they are.

I think you just like to complain.