Cards/Green slapped in the face.

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
WTF every team in the NFL except the Cards and SD and Hou get national games? They didn't even get a national pre-season game (@MIN would have been a great game to broadcast). DET gets by cause of their traditional Thanksgiving game.

I guess the media doesn't believe in the Cards.
Oak and NYG who shared the worst record get national games. MIN the team the Cards beat gets 4 national games.

DAL, KC, and GB get 5 national games. That is nuts. (DAL really gets 4 since one is their traditional Thanksgiving Day game).

CIN getting 2 national games after last year is interesting. Maybe the Cards will get some recognition if they turn it around like CIN did.

So three teams get 5 games and eight teams get 4 games. Crazy. That imo is kind of lousy. But it will provide just a little bit more motivation. Nothing like a good face slap to get you going.
Maybe they figure it will take DG a year to turn it around. Still GB and KC and DAL 5 times. CLE 2 times? Teams like OAK and JAX?

Would it kill the NFL to make sure each team gets at least 1 national game. Come on! GB and KC and DAL 5 games?!?!

Anyway, it will be interesting to see what happens next year.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Dude,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Cardinals football....the no respect zone

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
vikesfan said:
WTF every team in the NFL except the Cards and SD and Hou get national games? They didn't even get a national pre-season game (@MIN would have been a great game to broadcast). DET gets by cause of their traditional Thanksgiving game.

Oak and NYG who shared the worst record get national games. MIN the team the Cards beat gets 4 national games.

DAL, KC, and GB get 5 national games. That is nuts. (DAL really gets 4 since one is their traditional Thanksgiving Day game).

CIN getting 2 national games after last year is interesting. Maybe the Cards will get some recognition if they turn it around like CIN did.

So three teams get 5 games and eight teams get 4 games. Crazy. That imo is kind of lousy. But it will provide just a little bit more motivation. Nothing like a good face slap to get you going.
Maybe they figure it will take DG a year to turn it around. Still GB and KC and DAL 5 times. CLE 2 times? Teams like OAK and JAX?

Would it kill the NFL to make sure each team gets at least 1 national game. Come on! GB and KC and DAL 5 games?!?!

We usually never get national games. Its the rule not the exception for us....

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's called mass market appeal or lack of same. Cardinals are a long way from being prime time. That's why they invented DirecTv.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wallyburger said:
It's called mass market appeal or lack of same. Cardinals are a long way from being prime time. That's why they invented DirecTv.

Correct. No one flips through the channels on Sunday or Monday night and says "Ooh, the Cards are playing the Niners. That should be a great game."

Direct TV is the best thing for Cardinals fans (at least those living out of the state). :thumbup:

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
WTF every team in the NFL except the Cards and SD and Hou get national games?
First step to correcting this: Stop whining and start winning.

NickelBack

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
vikesfan said:
WTF every team in the NFL except the Cards and SD and Hou get national games?

Boy, I am surprised somone as learned as Vikesfan could figure out why those three teams were left off the national TV schedule.

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
NickelBack said:
Boy, I am surprised somone as learned as Vikesfan could figure out why those three teams were left off the national TV schedule.
Could or couldn't? :confused:

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
When we start winning we would get national games. Do you really think just because DG is the coach we automatically get a national games? If thats what you are thinking, put down your man love glasses.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
While I feel strongly that the Cards have dug their own hole - Prime Time-wise, I'm livid over the free ride the League has given Team Felon.

They will be on Prime Time (non-Sunday afternoon) TV five (count 'em FIVE!) times in 2004. So they improved a little. I'd like to know what the Felons have accomplished to warrant five prime time appearances.

dopleganger

Veteran
Reaction score
vikesfan said:

Come on VF. You know the NFL wanted to give us 3 or 4 national games just because DG is the coach. But Dennis told them not too.

I don't know why, I just know he's so smart there has to be a good reason for it.

NeverSayDieFan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Re: TV appearances--It's ALL about the $$$

Never forget that FB is a business just like any other. I read everyday in the U.S.A. Today about sports exec./TV programmers of (choose whatever pro league you want to insert here) worrying about the "ratings". Simple rationale. Ratings=$$$ or lack thereof. ...And I've seen a # of "questionable" calls over the years to wonder. Again, "losers" don't get calls. So, while, I'm a little disappointed we didn't get a game ( I thought we might because of DG) I'm not surprised. BUT if we start to win and Josh, Q, & Fitz' & the gang are lighting things up--we'll get some games later in the year because we'll be becoming a story of interest. ...And I agree that it's just one more motivational tool to get the guys' attention. I feel very confident that we're moving in the right direction. To me, it still takes (3) yrs. to turn a team. 1st year--better /2nd year--becoming dangerous & respected/ and 3rd year--a force to be reckoned with. I'm hoping for (9-7) this year and maybe sneaking into the play-offs. I do know we will compete and have a chance in each game. GO CARDS!!

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One word: DirecTV.

And I really don't understand all the fuss. Jeff is right - winning will cure the lack of respect.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
azdad1978 said:
When we start winning we would get national games. Do you really think just because DG is the coach we automatically get a national games? If thats what you are thinking, put down your man love glasses.

We got national games just because Buddy Ryan was the coach. He botched them so bad that I wouldn't be surprised that's the reason they may be taking a wait and see attitude with the Cardinals and Green.

seesred

Reaction score
There is only one way to get on prime time ..Prove you belong there. The Cardinals Arizona history has a few prime time games. 1999 after the playoff year. Some ESPN Sunday night games, but we will never be marque worthy till we win and I can't blame them. They, the TV networks work on ratings and the cardinals can not draw even in our own market. If we were on Monday night we might not be able to see the game in Phoenix chances are in would not sell out!

GBR

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Jersey Girl Cards Fan said:
Correct. No one flips through the channels on Sunday or Monday night and says "Ooh, the Cards are playing the Niners. That should be a great game."

Direct TV is the best thing for Cardinals fans (at least those living out of the state). :thumbup:

no, mutt lynch's is the best thing for Cardinals fans (at least those living on the peninsula in newport beach - football, great breakfast, and hottest waitresses you've ever seen . . . and some of 'em have gotten to the point where they even hug me hello . . . perhaps i'm spending too much time there . . . )

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
vikesfan said:

The Cards have the worst attendance record in the NFL and probably the lowest TV ratings so it make perfect sense. Like who wants to tune in and watch the Expos play baseball in Purerto Rico.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Ryanwb said:
Dude,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Cardinals football....the no respect zone

Be glad we have Direct TV or we would see hardly any games at all.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
logic should dictate that the nfl would rather not market itself by televising the team that scored the least amount of points and gave up the most points in the league last year. that spells blowouts. not good for ratings.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
JeffGollin said:
While I feel strongly that the Cards have dug their own hole - Prime Time-wise, I'm livid over the free ride the League has given Team Felon.

They will be on Prime Time (non-Sunday afternoon) TV five (count 'em FIVE!) times in 2004. So they improved a little. I'd like to know what the Felons have accomplished to warrant five prime time appearances.

Jeff the Cowboys are somewhat like the Cubs. Win or lose they draw fans. They are still sort of "America's Team" like it or not.

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
john h said:
The Cards have the worst attendance record in the NFL and probably the lowest TV ratings so it make perfect sense. Like who wants to tune in and watch the Expos play baseball in Purerto Rico.

Good analogy. Marlins ( defending World Champions) have gotten off to a great start this season, yet the local Marlin network won't even broadcast the games played in Puerto Rico back to South Florida. That's bad.

Last edited:

schel

This is our year!
Reaction score
Our own home games aren't even televised here... I thought that was sad when I came here :( Now we're going to get national games?

Capital Card

The Kobayashi of Kool-Aid
Reaction score
Duckjake said:
We got national games just because Buddy Ryan was the coach. He botched them so bad that I wouldn't be surprised that's the reason they may be taking a wait and see attitude with the Cardinals and Green.

Buddy inherited a pretty decent team (as far as Cardinal standards go) and managed to run it into the ground. So, were those national games based on Buddy's reputation, or that we weren't the worst team in football back then?

I don't care how bad we were the last few years, Ryan's days as coach were definately our dark years. He might have had a better record than Coach Mac, but he'll never be half the man in my book.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05