Cards Pick #116: OG - Earl Watford

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
My guess is we cut Snyder OR move him to Center. Personally with such a low cap hit this year it makes sense to keep them all for depth.

LT: Brown, Potter
LG: Cooper, Kelemete
C:Snyder/Sendelin
RG: Colledge, Watford,
LT: Massie, Rachal

Looks pretty good to me esp depth wise....

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My guess is we cut Snyder OR move him to Center. Personally with such a low cap hit this year it makes sense to keep them all for depth.

How many Oline do we carry during the season?

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

The Cards don't need any cap space so the smart move is to not cut either one. One or both start 2013 while the Cards groom their two new Guards and then the Cards cut C&S next season when the cap hit isn't so bad. If Cooper is good enough to start Snyder or Colledge becomes a veteran back up. Didn't they keep 9 offensive linemen last year?

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
The Cards don't need any cap space so the smart move is to not cut either one. One or both start 2013 while the Cards groom their two new Guards and then the Cards cut C&S next season when the cap hit isn't so bad. If Cooper is good enough to start Snyder or Colledge becomes a veteran back up. Didn't they keep 9 offensive linemen last year?

That makes Snyder even more useful as he can play G, T, or C (unfortunately none of those positions all that well)

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This is the one pick I wish ARZ would have gone with another player (Barrett Jones) but Arians isn't looking for a power running game and I guess Watford excels at pulling so we'll see. I am impressed with his measurables and speed but will it be able to help him in the NFL.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Cards messed up trading back and missed out on Barret Jones - rams took him. 2 picks earlier

Jones would have been a much beter pick

If they wanted him they wouldn't have traded back.

That's right, part of the reason Watford was back there, was because of the small school he went to, (James Madison U.). Mayock had him as a possible 3rd rd. talent from his exposure to him at the Senior Bowl. Arians also liked Watford for his demonstrated leadership qualities, ie. being a team captain and self starter. Apparently many scouts were skeptical of his exposure to competition level.

ndhillst

Rookie
Reaction score
If we can afford the cap hit this year, we should cut either Snyder or Colledge this year since Cooper will start at one of the G positions.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

Cutting Colledge saves more than 7M for 2014 if we cut him now. Snyder around 4m... Do it!

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I liked Snyder at center last year. I would have no problem if they move him to that spot. He is better at that close quarters combat. The less he has to move his feet, the better for him.

ndhillst

Rookie
Reaction score
But it's the same if we cut him in Jan-March 2014 isn't it? So why cut him now?

Cut him this year and eat his dead money and it's cap impact this year. Cut him next year and eat the dead money and cap impact next year. It all depends on how you want to manage the cap. Clearing him off the books now gives more flexibility next year, especially with Larry's cap hit going up by $8M.

You can also split the cap hit if you make him a Jun 1 cut, but that's too complicated for my brain to fully understand.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Cut him this year and eat his dead money and it's cap impact this year. Cut him next year and eat the dead money and cap impact next year. It all depends on how you want to manage the cap. Clearing him off the books now gives more flexibility next year, especially with Larry's cap hit going up by $8M.

You can also split the cap hit if you make him a Jun 1 cut, but that's too complicated for my brain to fully understand.

I don't see how cutting him now or next year makes any difference in flexibility for next off season. Too complicated to figure out. That's why teams have people working for them who do nothing but manage the salary cap. Why is it so complicated? Because owners have huge egos and are always looking for ways to job the system which creates the need for 1,396 paragraphs of fine print rules and regulations.

Denny Green Fan

Registered
Reaction score
@mikejurecki: Earl Watford started all 11 games @ guard in 2010, in 2011 started all 13 games at left guard, started all 11 games in 2012 was team caption

I read a scouting report on him that claims he has long arms and is athletic

enough to possibly be tried at tackle