Cards QB's the last 4 preseasons - by the numbers

Tim

Reaction score
The gloom and doom attitudes towards Leinart based on preseason really makes me scratch my head. Grading a Cards QB based on preseason games typically leaves a fan feeling underwhelmed for a few reasons.

In the Whisenhut era, the Cards are a combined 3-11 in the preseason with one of the wins being the poor performance last week vs Houston. Each year we go through the same thing where Whiz plays it incredibly vanilla with no scheming because he wants to see how guys react in tough situations. I am convinced that he prefers this because he keeps guys motivated and this team responds well when bad things are said about them.

I went back and looked at the QB play of Warner and Leinart in the preseason from 2007 through today:

Warner
52-83, 707 yards, 1 TD, 3 INT's

Leinart
101-164, 1267, 7TD, 5 INT's

Even if you pull out the GB game from '09 for Leinart which ended up being an outlier to the positive for Leinart, you have very similar numbers for completion %, yards per attempt, INT's per attempt, etc. I remind you that Warner was fighting for a job in '07 and '08. His numbers were very pedestrian in those 8 preseason games. In fact, Warner didn't throw a TD pass in the preseason for the last 10 games he played.

So what does this tell us? Nothing. As Allen Iverson said, "we're talking about practice. Not the game." I feel the same way about preseason. Judge Matt based on the regular season. He has given you no more reason to doubt him in the preseason than Warner ever did.

I think Whiz knows this which is why he hasn't played a lot. If he were really concerned, he'd actually play Leinart more. Matt's going to be fine.

Last edited:

IAWarnerFan

Warnerphile, but a Cards fan!
Reaction score
Agreed! I could care less about how he does in the preseason. Just getting ready for the regular season is the importance of the preseason. I'm hopeful he will get things started right against the Rams and never look back. If he struggles in his first four games I'll join the gloom and doomers.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I agree but in retrospect I think whats going on with the Oline, the lack of starting caliber WR's & the constant grilling by the media is hurting his confidence & thats the last thing an unproven QB needs at this time of his career. Leinart looked like he ws on another planet during the game on the sidleines after his playing time ended.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Excellent post Tim.

This crap is becoming a self-fulfilling prophecy. If Toast throws an INT, the world (at least Bristol, Connecticut) might explode. I've never seen such vitriol and hand-wringing over a QB who is having an average pre-season in a system where the offense usually looks pretty crappy. Half the fan base wants to string him up for connecting on 10 of 13 passes for 77 yards, with a 90.9 QB rating. Imagine if he actually plays BAD. It is sheer lunacy.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Excellent post Tim.

This crap is becoming a self-fulfilling prophecy. If Toast throws an INT, the world (at least Bristol, Connecticut) might explode. I've never seen such vitriol and hand-wringing over a QB who is having an average pre-season in a system where the offense usually looks pretty crappy. Half the fan base wants to string him up for connecting on 10 of 13 passes for 77 yards, with a 90.9 QB rating. Imagine if he actually plays BAD. It is sheer lunacy.

Donald, this is too much perspective for the average Cardinal fan to handle :D

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
I just watched the start of MNCountdown. I never seen so much piled on one player/ QB in my life. Guess Chris Carter didn't like Matt saying He don't care what Carter says!

I've watched every NFL snap of Matt Leinert and He is a good if not great QB. He rolls right or left with accuracy, had 2500+ yards in 11 games his rookie season. Why don't they show MNM Mats first start against the Bears. He was elite and destroyed an elite defense. hung 400 plus on Carters Vikings for a rookie record. 2 TDs in the first quarter of his first 2 games.

I hope ESPN pukes projectile vomit and I'm ready to go to war for Matty, He's a class act and a good man. He's my favorite QB in the NFL and the east coast bias can tremble in his wake as He leads the NFL wire to Wire to the Super Bowl!

desertrat218

Veteran
Reaction score
Maybe it's the fact that Leinart has 14 career TDs and 20 career interceptions that scares me the most. He just hasn't ever looked comfortable when I watch him play. I would love nothing more than to see Leinart prove me wrong, but I don't expect much from him. The reality is that very few Heisman Trophy QBs are successful in the NFL.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
Maybe it's the fact that Leinart has 14 career TDs and 20 career interceptions that scares me the most. He just hasn't ever looked comfortable when I watch him play. I would love nothing more than to see Leinart prove me wrong, but I don't expect much from him. The reality is that very few Heisman Trophy QBs are successful in the NFL.

The reality is very few QBs, in general, are successful in the NFL.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This all reminds me of the old Josh McCown debates.

He had a couple of decent games and there were many who got blinded by that. He was a below average QB who could not read a defense. Once opposing DC's got film on him and were able to game plan it was all over for him.

I see ML going down this path. It's going to be up to ML to gain confidence and step up his game. So far I have seen nothing from him to change this.

I liked his first throw of the game. Strong throw and accurate. I was hoping he would continue to be in command of the offense and show me something. Didn't happen.

dogpoo32

meh
Reaction score

In 17 starts. When's the last time he's had a chance to get comfortable in the game? If he's not being thrown in for mop-up, he's being pulled for 2-minute drills or starting without prior notice. Whis needs to work to help him get comfortable, and 3 series per pre-season game are not going to do that.

Reaction score
This all reminds me of the old Josh McCown debates.

He had a couple of decent games and there were many who got blinded by that.
Really? I was really pulling for McCown to be successful. But, I can't remember McCown having a decent game. A play or two maybe...

My strongest memories of McCown's play are 1) the last second pass to beat the Vikings, :thumbup: and 2) thowing it into LJ Shelton's facemask in the endzone against the 49ers. :shock: :lol:

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really? I was really pulling for McCown to be successful. But, I can't remember McCown having a decent game. A play or two maybe...

My strongest memories of McCown's play are 1) the last second pass to beat the Vikings, :thumbup: and 2) thowing it into LJ Shelton's facemask in the endzone against the 49ers. :shock: :lol:

I was one of McCown's biggest detractors, but he had a great game in Mexico City.

OP
OP
T

Tim

Reaction score
Excellent post Tim.

This crap is becoming a self-fulfilling prophecy. If Toast throws an INT, the world (at least Bristol, Connecticut) might explode. I've never seen such vitriol and hand-wringing over a QB who is having an average pre-season in a system where the offense usually looks pretty crappy.

Your point is a good one that I meant to mention. How on earth did this become such a national story? Do you think it stems from the fact that Kurt Warner was such a likeable guy with a great backstory? Is Leinart THAT unlikeable?

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thowing it into LJ Shelton's facemask in the endzone against the 49ers.

Cardlogic...you seem like a decent sort, but if you ever mention this again I will never ever speak to you again..I might even put you on ignore..:D

ps.. I know we have never spoken, but if we ever meet at a game rest assured my lips will not move nor will I make eye contact

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

:bigyawn:

And as a starter in 17 games Leinart has 14 career TDs and 17 career INTs. In 17 starts.

I know a quarterback who had 28 TDs and 30 INTs in his first 17 career starts. Man, that guy turned out to be terrible*.

* - FYI, it was Peyton Manning.

Reaction score
Cardlogic...you seem like a decent sort, but if you ever mention this again I will never ever speak to you again..I might even put you on ignore..:D

ps.. I know we have never spoken, but if we ever meet at a game rest assured my lips will not move nor will I make eye contact
:lmao: Sorry, Yeahbut! Didn't mean to stir bad memories...